EA Forums - Banner

Discussion with a 14 year old

Prev13
I was having a couple beers, playing NHL without sound, but with Spotify running a "calm down" list when my son approached me.
He was due for bed, and at that time he will discuss anything that can keep him out of bed for a little longer.
I told him about my new-found theory "If you have pass assist at anything but 100, it will kill your whole team"
"Pass assist? What do you mean"?
"It's a slider you set, look here; I could choose to have it at zero, or I could let the game aid me and put it to 100".
"This is an online game isn't it"?
Yeah, it sure is"!
"What's the point of playing, if the game is deciding, anyway"?
"No, no this is only put here because EA haven't been able to sort passing out. Now they could say that if your pass did not connect, that was because you had pass assist turned too high. If you had it at zero then it was because you weren't as good as you thought you were… See? It's kind of the perfect argument".
"Well OK, so the game lets you cheat if you want to"?
"Nah, it's an option. It's 100 by default…."
"You said this game was competitive. You said they are running a world championship on it. And now you're telling me you can choose auto-aim"?
"Nah, it's not like that"!
"Well, can you choose to have the game aim your shots then"?
A little embarrassed I had to admit that we used to have this choice, only now the game's deciding whether your shots goes in or not, from an unknown variable.
"Man, I thought FIFA were scripted, are you sure you can't choose if your dekes are gonna work or not"?
He looked at me in disbelief. "Why are you playing this ****"?
I must admit that my only answer was "It's bedtime".

Replies

• Wow, this made me chuckle before going to bed. Thanks!
  • Yep. Taking the skill out of a competitive multiplayer mode like versus is a little contradictive. Even your little guy got it.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Pass assist is just like aim assist in Call of Duty. If you know what you're doing, it gets in the way more times than not. But if you're a casual, it's usually helpful.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • I think it's more a question of what you're used to. For example D to D, the pass assist at 100 will sometimes make that a D to C, so I am over-compensating aiming the pass a little behind my D.
    Turned pass-assist down to 70, and now I am passing it out of the zone.
    I was more concerned about having passes not connecting that was good enough to have the intended receiver kick it along, he just wouldn't take it under control.
    Fat-man lag and nothing to do with pass-assist, I would have thought. Only now I put it back to 100 and haven't seen it since.
  • Fully explains why when your trying to pass to someone open in the slot it tries to go through the intended player and a defender to your dman. Or on a breakout when it does the opposite and gives it to the covered centre when your trying to hit the open winger. I thought this was based on the speed of the pass but this part makes since but why do so many passes go right through 2 open players for an icing while on 100? Guess they should change it to 99 to explain that.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Pass assist is just like aim assist in Call of Duty. If you know what you're doing, it gets in the way more times than not. But if you're a casual, it's usually helpful.

Except you cant disable it online.
    I have a really good instinct at doing lead passes....but cant use that strenght in NHL. Cause I gotta play at the level of the casuals.

How is this game esport ready? haha

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    kezz123 wrote: »

I have a really good instinct at doing lead passes....but cant use that strenght in NHL. Cause I gotta play at the level of the casuals.

How is this game esport ready? haha

Why would they turn it off? Its different than auto-aim on net. I personally dont have a problem with it, and at a higher level I see it cause more problems than good when at 100%.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member

Turning it to 0 is disabling it. Why can't you do that?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Im guessing he means for everyone in the game, not just himself.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member

EASHL has hard rules. Im not talking about playing vs AI but playing online vs people. If I wanted to disable pass assist I should be able to no?
  • Socair
    2632 posts Game Changer

EASHL has hard rules. Im not talking about playing vs AI but playing online vs people. If I wanted to disable pass assist I should be able to no?
    Are you saying you can’t set it to 0 in EASHL? That’s not the case, but maybe I’m misunderstanding?
  • Passing assist is almost a must-have especially with the sometimes iffy connections and lag. But if you have good connections, I agree that passing assist is generally not good if you are indeed a good player.

In any case, it is much improved than what 15 was where pass assist was forced unless you saucered and it was very iffy at best.
  • Socair wrote: »

Are you saying you can’t set it to 0 in EASHL? That’s not the case, but maybe I’m misunderstanding?

You certainly can disable pass assist. But you have to actually play the game to know this. Some posters tend to complain about the game, even if they don't actually play it. Its why I tend to disregard a lot of posters "opinions".
  • if you want to play with pass assist off, you need to hold the control in a way that you can make very very small movements.
  • Lol you CAN set it to 0 online, Kezz.
  • WPGjets wrote: »
    if you want to play with pass assist off, you need to hold the control in a way that you can make very very small movements.

WHA???
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member
    edited April 2018

You can set pass assist to 0 in any 1v1 online mode. Is that not true of EASHL, as well?

• Bmh245 wrote: »

You can set pass assist to 0 in any 1v1 online mode. Is that not true of EASHL, as well?

yes we can set it to 0 in EASHL.

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    As has been said, you can set it to 0 in any online mode.

For those that don't know, it is under 'Settings --> Controller Settings' and is an option called 'Online Pass Assist Percentage'.

It was added this way (as a percentage) so that players in a competitive space couldn't increase their pass assist beyond the standard set in the online default settings but could lower it if they preferred and wanted more control.

Those that want to keep the regular pass assist at 100 because they don't want to have to be as laser accurate on D to D passes but want the control when leading players is to use manual saucer pass when banking pucks off the boards or leading players to space. It gives you a lot of touch control to both the power and angle of the pass and can be very effective for those with good vision and twitch skill in the game.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    As has been said, you can set it to 0 in any online mode.

For those that don't know, it is under 'Settings --> Controller Settings' and is an option called 'Online Pass Assist Percentage'.

It was added this way (as a percentage) so that players in a competitive space couldn't increase their pass assist beyond the standard set in the online default settings but could lower it if they preferred and wanted more control.

Those that want to keep the regular pass assist at 100 because they don't want to have to be as laser accurate on D to D passes but want the control when leading players is to use manual saucer pass when banking pucks off the boards or leading players to space. It gives you a lot of touch control to both the power and angle of the pass and can be very effective for those with good vision and twitch skill in the game.

Pass assist shouldn’t even be an option for any online mode. Let US determine who is skilled or not at passing.