EA Forums - Banner

Is HUT in its current form illegal in parts of Europe?

Kuus2
221 posts Member
I wonder how this will change HUT for EU players in future. Will they just remove HUT completely in certain areas?

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-04-25-now-belgium-declares-loot-boxes-gambling-and-therefore-illegal

Replies

• Interesting article, I was talking about this in a similar way here in the US in the state of Massachuesetts, as here we have the lottery and gambling but the odds have to be stated: for example a $10.00 scratch ticket the odds are stated that 1:4 tickets will result in winning, doesn't have to say how much the win is but has to state odds just like Keno and other lottery picks, still a game of chance/gambling but odds have to be present or at least available...I have spoken to a local state rep about the video game issue as her son (28) and I play real hockey together and she too is interested in learning more about this cash cow that is ultimate team.
  • paddymck1
    97 posts Member
    Interesting article, I was talking about this in a similar way here in the US in the state of Massachuesetts, as here we have the lottery and gambling but the odds have to be stated: for example a $10.00 scratch ticket the odds are stated that 1:4 tickets will result in winning, doesn't have to say how much the win is but has to state odds just like Keno and other lottery picks, still a game of chance/gambling but odds have to be present or at least available...I have spoken to a local state rep about the video game issue as her son (28) and I play real hockey together and she too is interested in learning more about this cash cow that is ultimate team.

Open the flood gates. Please!!!
  • I’d suggest anyone in the USA who thinks hut is gambling to question you’re attorney general or some high up senators.
  • In the USA Today the Supreme Court won a victory over the feds and is now going to be legal to gamble / bet on sports.
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    At this point I’m leaning towards it not being gambling. When I was a kid and collected baseball cards you didn’t get top players in every pack but you sure pulled a lot of scrubs. I would have 10-12 of some no name bum but rarely ever pulled more than one Barry Bonds. Everyone knows the odds on pulling a legit good card. EA may be greasy money hungry grubs that show time and time again they care nothing about this franchise other than HUT cash cow but I’m not convinced it’s gambling.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    jake19ny wrote: »
    I’m not convinced it’s gambling.

You sound a bit confused. You gave the literal definition of gambling but then did not want to call the spade a spade.

Question is not at this point wether it’s gambling or raffle, question is if those features have a place in 10+ rated product. If those were in a standalone site, the registration would require user to confirm they are in legal age to gamble.
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Kuus2 wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    I’m not convinced it’s gambling.

You sound a bit confused. You gave the literal definition of gambling but then did not want to call the spade a spade.

Question is not at this point wether it’s gambling or raffle, question is if those features have a place in 10+ rated product. If those were in a standalone site, the registration would require user to confirm they are in legal age to gamble.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not defending EA and this pay to play crap has ruined many games including this one. I’m not confused at allI I get it but gambling rules and laws vary from state to state and there are many things that have come and gone that could have been considered gambling but instead were passed off as marketing and sales. I don’t anticipate this changing any time soon.....