EA Forums - Banner

Invisible bubbles on ice

Kuus2
221 posts Member

Above is an example of an invisible bubble occuring in play seemingly for no reason. I have also few times mentioned these bubbles occuring around the net, which makes movement for a D sometimes frustrating.

1. What is the purpose of this mechanic?
2. How does it improve the player experience?

If this was just me being bad at body checking, what did I do wrong?

Replies

• BeantownStrong94
    156 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    As much as I love complaining about this game, I feel this is you just missing the guy.

Edited swear filter out
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    As much as I love complaining about this game, I feel this is you just missing the guy.

Clearly I missed, but I did 0 movement off the boards. My question to you then is, how could have I hit him if gliding towards him does not work?
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • As much as I love complaining about this game, I feel this is you just missing the guy.

Edited swear filter out

You are right, he missed but there ARE invisible bubbles in this game.

• WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    Kuus2 wrote: »

Clearly I missed, but I did 0 movement off the boards. My question to you then is, how could have I hit him if gliding towards him does not work?

On old gen you could hold the RS and initiate your check from several strides away. They closed up that window a bit on current gen. You should only initiate the hit when you are within a couple of strides. If you hold the stick too early, it will negate your check. Also helps to release the LS and aim towards the player with the RS. It is hard to check a player if you are pressing left on the LS and right on the RS, for example.

Sometimes though, the hit just simply seems to not register, even though your player goes into the animation, the opposing player simply does not react.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    Sure. I have had instances where I used RS too early and just plain missed. I just can’t see how this was one. As an example you mentioned moving LS to the left, I did not do that in this instance either.

If I was next to the boards and the puck carrier ducked away from the boards causing me to miss, I would have no problem saying I missed.

In the video, if you watch it, I clearly attempt to skate towards the boards so I would be in the path of the player and then I start to glide. I simply was unable to get to the path of that player.
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    You don't show it very well in the clips but you slam into the boards with a lot of speed and momentum way before the guy is even near you. Don't do that next time and you probably won't miss him.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    Actually I looked at the footage again closer and I think what happened was my player automatically moving to the path of the puck.
  • Yes, bubbles are a HUGE problem with this series, and the reason they happen, is because checks are programmed to follow the puck, not the intended target. So when someone is holding their stick out to the side, and you try to hit them, you will bubble off and around them to the side the puck is on.

Then there are other bubbles, such as the bubbles around each net that have no reason to be there and need to go.

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.” - Nikola Tesla

• Yes, bubbles are a HUGE problem with this series, and the reason they happen, is because checks are programmed to follow the puck, not the intended target. So when someone is holding their stick out to the side, and you try to hit them, you will bubble off and around them to the side the puck is on.

Then there are other bubbles, such as the bubbles around each net that have no reason to be there and need to go.

I've been abusing taking advantage of these bubbles all this time, but never clued in to "follow the puck" programming, just thought there was no available animation. I'll have to pay closer attention to it and improve my abusive hockey skillset. Good catch.
    EASHL player