EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

We should be able to pick the side we choose in Drop-ins

We shouldn’t be forced a side when we play drop ins. It makes it harder for players with mics to side with each other and help make drop ins a better experience. It was fine on old gen. Why the change?

Replies

• B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    We shouldn’t be forced a side when we play drop ins. It makes it harder for players with mics to side with each other and help make drop ins a better experience. It was fine on old gen. Why the change?

Because CR and attempting to make the sides balanced skill wise.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • WainGretSki
    3036 posts Member
    B-Bunny wrote: »

You seem to know how it works, so I was curious if you could answer a question, or a dev for that matter.

How is it that in dropins, you can have a level 27, a 43, a prestige I 20, a prestige II 35, a prestige II 36, and a prestige III 40, but on the other side, they are all gold badged 50s ? What is the logic in it?

I have a feeling the matchmaking was intended to work as you describe, but with an average of 245 players in dropin on a given night, the CR matchmaking goes out the window.
  • Socair
    1833 posts Game Changer

You seem to know how it works, so I was curious if you could answer a question, or a dev for that matter.

How is it that in dropins, you can have a level 27, a 43, a prestige I 20, a prestige II 35, a prestige II 36, and a prestige III 40, but on the other side, they are all gold badged 50s ? What is the logic in it?

I have a feeling the matchmaking was intended to work as you describe, but with an average of 245 players in dropin on a given night, the CR matchmaking goes out the window.
    There’s a good chance that one side of maxed out people are all searching together as a group.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • WainGretSki
    3036 posts Member
    Socair wrote: »

There’s a good chance that one side of maxed out people are all searching together as a group.

Yea, that's a good point.
  • Socair wrote: »

Which defeats the point of any attempt of matchmaking.

For EASHL / NHL to grow, we can't be feeding new casuals to the sharks.
    EASHL player
  • Socair
    1833 posts Game Changer
    Socair wrote: »

Which defeats the point of any attempt of matchmaking.

For EASHL / NHL to grow, we can't be feeding new casuals to the sharks.
    Yes, I totally agree. Hope we get a revamp that allows new comers to not be overwhelmed or completely put off by all the terrible players that ruin the mode.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • BassMan_PC
    330 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    What we really need is for EA to ban the trolls name removed so they are not trolling the lobbies and wasting everybody's time. Seriously, that kid is still on badge 1. He never plays and just trolls the lobbies full time. He is pathetic and EA is even worse for not banning him.
    Post edited by Socair on
  • How is it that in dropins, you can have a level 27, a 43, a prestige I 20, a prestige II 35, a prestige II 36, and a prestige III 40, but on the other side, they are all gold badged 50s ? What is the logic in it?

Badge levels are not an indication of skill.
    They're more an indication of the amount of games someone has played than the skill they possess.
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer

They're more an indication of the amount of games someone has played than the skill they possess.

This x100
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • WainGretSki
    3036 posts Member
    edited May 2018

Who said anything about skill? I am talking about CR ratings, nothing else, as was the topic. Trust me, I have seen very many lvl 50's that were absolutely painful to watch, and play with.

On another note, and I don't know if this is just me, but shouldn't each badge be in relation to the position played? What I mean is, take a D man that always plays D, reaches lvl 50, then decides to try his first ever game as goalie. He will still have his lvl 50 badge, even though it is his first game...
  • How is it that in dropins, you can have a level 27, a 43, a prestige I 20, a prestige II 35, a prestige II 36, and a prestige III 40, but on the other side, they are all gold badged 50s ? What is the logic in it?

Who said anything about skill? I am talking about CR ratings, nothing else, as was the topic. Trust me, I have seen very many lvl 50's that were absolutely painful to watch, and play with.

I was answering the question you asked about having lower level badges against all gold 50s.

Matchmaking skill balance is based on player CR (or as close as it can get to balance). Badge level doesn't factor in and therefore allows for lower badge levels to match up against a team of maxed out badges.
  • WainGretSki
    3036 posts Member

I was answering the question you asked about having lower level badges against all gold 50s.

Matchmaking skill balance is based on player CR (or as close as it can get to balance). Badge level doesn't factor in and therefore allows for lower badge levels to match up against a team of maxed out badges.

If you had read the last sentence in my post, you would have seen I was clearly talking about CR matchmaking, and not skill.

If you had read the last sentence in my post, you would have seen I was clearly talking about CR matchmaking, and not skill.

It honestly sounds like you're confused on what CR is and that CR and Badge levels are 2 very different things.
    • Badge Levels are basically an XP counter that constantly increases with every game played.
      Play better, play 6s, complete games, play to your classes strong suits, etc. and you'll earn XP quicker. But you're always increasing XP regardless of how you play or whether you win or lose. XP cannot be lost.
    • CR (Competitive Rating) can be gained or lost depending on whether your team won or lost, and it constantly fluctuates after every game.
      It starts at 500, and points are added or subtracted depending on if you won or lost the game. The amount of points gained/lost depends on your CR vs your opponent's CR, and is usually around +/-5 to +/-15.

CR is based on skill (at least the skill of teams you've played on; not necessarily individual skill - but that's another topic entirely). A more skilled player theoretically would have a better win/loss record and therefore a higher CR.

This is what factors into matchmaking. Lobbies will try to balance lower CR players and higher CR players on each side, instead of ending up with a full team of 800 CR players against a full team of 300 CR players.

Badge levels and CR have no bearing on each other.
    A Level 20 badge has just as much chance of having a 300 (or an 800) CR as a Gold 50 does.

TL;DR
    Badges and CR are different things.
    Badge Levels = XP (i.e. time played)
    CR = "skill" (i.e. win/loss +/-)
    Lobby skill based matchmaking uses CR; Badge levels do not factor in on matchmaking.
  • or just give us lobbies and let us choose sides. oh, i dunno....

frankly, I don't care who I am playing when I go to "drop in". What I can't stand is wasting 20 mins to get a game.

badges don't mean anything to me and CR can be misleading at an individual contributor level and most people flat just think they are better at the game than they really are. just for the love of god, just get in the game and play....
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • WainGretSki
    3036 posts Member

It honestly sounds like you're confused on what CR is and that CR and Badge levels are 2 very different things.
    • Badge Levels are basically an XP counter that constantly increases with every game played.
      Play better, play 6s, complete games, play to your classes strong suits, etc. and you'll earn XP quicker. But you're always increasing XP regardless of how you play or whether you win or lose. XP cannot be lost.
    • CR (Competitive Rating) can be gained or lost depending on whether your team won or lost, and it constantly fluctuates after every game.
      It starts at 500, and points are added or subtracted depending on if you won or lost the game. The amount of points gained/lost depends on your CR vs your opponent's CR, and is usually around +/-5 to +/-15.

CR is based on skill (at least the skill of teams you've played on; not necessarily individual skill - but that's another topic entirely). A more skilled player theoretically would have a better win/loss record and therefore a higher CR.

This is what factors into matchmaking. Lobbies will try to balance lower CR players and higher CR players on each side, instead of ending up with a full team of 800 CR players against a full team of 300 CR players.

Badge levels and CR have no bearing on each other.
    A Level 20 badge has just as much chance of having a 300 (or an 800) CR as a Gold 50 does.

TL;DR
    Badges and CR are different things.
    Badge Levels = XP (i.e. time played)
    CR = "skill" (i.e. win/loss +/-)
    Lobby skill based matchmaking uses CR; Badge levels do not factor in on matchmaking.

I don't need this kind of explanation as I already know all this.

My question, then, in other words, I am not convinced the CR ratings are paired fairly considering the low number of players online at any given time.

I know a prestige 1 can have a CR of 800 and a gold 50 can have a CR of 300.