EA Forums - Banner

Pucks going through goalies

Kuus2
221 posts Member
I've seen people here mentioning pucks appear to go straight through blockers and pads like air. I had never experienced this myself but now I have...

Below is a video of a nice OT winner shot. Apparently the mask was so great my blocker turned into jello.

- I know there is a good mask
- I know my positioning isn't the best

Replies

• that is not what people mean when pucks go through goalies. That is just a clipping issue through a sloppy animation. The puck clearly went beyond your blocker and clipped through a finger guard.

Good goal.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    that is not what people mean when pucks go through goalies. That is just a clipping issue through a sloppy animation.

And I am just saying that shouldn't happen.

I wish you would have offered more information what people actually mean then, if not similar case than this. I have had pucks go cleanly under my pads.
    The puck clearly went beyond your blocker and clipped through a finger guard.

8nhidBB.png

Clearly.
  • Although I've seen WAY worse, maybe this is attributed to lag or something. Maybe on the EA server the puck already past you and on your screen your seeing it go through you? I dunno. I'm not defending it, more curious, but it appears you do get a nick of it but from the angle you showed does the puck redirect the slightest?
  • If you couldn't go into replay mode with your magnifying glass and you didn't know it clipped the blocker a bit, how would you react to that goal?

You might just look at it and say you were back in the net a little deep, you were screened a bit and you got sniped. In other words, looking at what you personally could have done better on that play. There's probably a good chance if you were further up, you make that save.

Guaranteed you'll start having more fun with the game if you stop bringing out the magnifying glass on every play and change your mindset to look at the big picture (of you letting in a goal) and focus on what you can do differently next time to stop that play.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    Workin_OT wrote: »
    If you couldn't go into replay mode with your magnifying glass and you didn't know it clipped the blocker a bit, how would you react to that goal?

I reacted as I did, I opened the replay and watched it again. My first thought was that it was deflected.

Believe it or not, when you play goalie for a while the weird goal look weird in play.
    You might just look at it and say you were back in the net a little deep, you were screened a bit and you got sniped. In other words, looking at what you personally could have done better on that play. There's probably a good chance if you were further up, you make that save.

I wrote in OP my positioning could’ve been better.

That in no way changes the fact that the puck clipped through my blocker. No change in positioning should make my blocker more or less solid.

Guaranteed you'll start having more fun with the game if you stop bringing out the magnifying glass on every play and change your mindset to look at the big picture (of you letting in a goal) and focus on what you can do differently next time to stop that play.

Sorry, missed the goal on those assumptions this time... I rarely use the instant replay feature in general. I actually should use the replay more to watch goals that beat me.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    When they say the puck goes through your pads, they mean you can stack the pads or butterfly or hug post and watch it go through clean. Not clip an edge.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I don't know....I'm with the OP on this one. It reminds me some of playoff saves I've seen where it's off the edge or toe of the pads. Not sure how this is considered a good goal when it clearly goes through something that would've stopped it.

This is clearly a flaw in the game but a common one you see in many different video games. Still though, a part of the body or pad that can potentially stop the puck SHOULD stop the puck.
  • vmx2014
    54 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Don’t listen to these ppl making excuses for the game we get every year. The puck def went through your blocker, it’s not about having fun or not having fun. This shouldn’t happen, period. This game has nothing to do with skill or positioning the game determines who wins and loses it has nothing to do with how you play.

edited swear filter
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Workin_OT
    469 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    vmx2014 wrote: »
    Don’t listen to these ppl making excuses for the game we get every year. The puck def went through your blocker, it’s not about having fun or not having fun. This shouldn’t happen, period. This game has nothing to do with skill or positioning the game determines who wins and loses it has nothing to do with how you play.

So you don't think that if he was out at the top of his crease he would have saved it? It was predetermined to go in no matter what? :D
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    So you don't think that if he was out at the top of his crease he would have saved it? It was predetermined to go in no matter what? :D

You are absolutely right, we need to start apologizing for the issues in the game by writing them off in hindsight.

Annoyed by CPU scoring in the own net? Shouldn’t have put the puck there, or goalies should have stacked the pads in advance.

WOW! So easy!
  • I really do have a hard time reading these responses that say “it only clipped a little” or essentially “that doesn’t count”. All errors experienced by all users should “count” in some way. I feel like this particular issue stems from adjustable puck sizes, but nonetheless clipping like this shouldn’t happen. We can all agree that watchingany sort of clipping lead to a goal would be frustrating regardless of how much clipping happened, no?

This game having issues like these...legacy issues that never seem to improve are the most frustrating issues with the game. I’ve played this game offline more than any NHL game since 2k10. I believe it does many things right, but those “good feeling” moments are always over-shadowed by moments like these. The unfortunate reality is that these moments aren’t few and far between either. They are routinely happening events that need to be mitigated in order for a better user experience.
  • vmx2014
    54 posts Member
    vmx2014 wrote: »

Getting caught deep in your net on a quick shot yet still managing to get a piece of your blocker In the way SHOULD NOT go throUgh your goalie, no. Shots come quick then this game allows us goalies to move and the guy got his blocker up yet it still goes through him, that’s not right. It happened so much, it’s not a one off thing. Lag compensation might be at fault here but this garbage is why the game is in its terrible state at the moment. I haven’t seen more than 500 drop in users this year and I remember nhl 10-14 having peaked sometimes at 10,000 users. It’s a joke. Hopefully frostbite engine will be implemented and some things change but these shots going through goalies, passes going through ppl, icying calls when it’s clearly not icying, players having no speed on breakaways and too many more issues to list, stop and get fixed. I doubt it and if nhl is a copy and paste like the last 3 years then this game will finally R.I.P
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Honestly when you need to zoom in that closely, chances are high its just compensating for connection. It would look much worse if it went through the middle of your glove.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Honestly when you need to zoom in that closely, chances are high its just compensating for connection. It would look much worse if it went through the middle of your glove.

tend to agree with this.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

I agree as well. It’s just harder to dismiss it when there’s a lot of “real” ones that happen you know? But you’re right, this does look more like an innocent glitch compared to a puck going through the middle of the pad/blocker/etc.