EA Forums - Banner

Gamechanger Post NHL Award Trailer Q&A

Prev13456789
Tonyfereli
83 posts Game Changer
edited June 2018
Hey everyone,

I thought I would make a consolidated thread for the active Gamechangers to answer any questions that you may have about the revealed mechanics and features. We can share our experience/feelings around what we have seen/interacted/played with during this years development. We can only comment on things that have been publicly announced and revealed. We also can't go in too much depth over anything that EA hasn't gone into themselves.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/features

Feel free to ask away!
Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli

Replies

• How much different is the gameplay going to be with the RPM tech? Go in depth on that. I really hope they have more for us offline gamers too. Franchise Mode and Be A Pro needs more love.
  • Game engine ? PC ?
  • Follisimo
    1313 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Can you play private 4's now in club?

Earning customization gear and applying specialization traits to your character will impact playstyle across The World of CHEL, including when you're playing NHL THREES Drop-in and EASHL, as well as the recently-introduced NHL ONES and Pro-Am modes.

NVM found my answer with this.

Greater Player Customization
    No matter which World of Chel mode you play, your created player earns XP and rewards in the form of hockey bags.

When first creating your player, you can choose your height and weight, which has parameters based on the 12 available player classes that break down according to classic hockey archetypes (sniper, playmaker, grinder, etc). From there, you can pick from dozens of traits to activate in a primary and secondary slot, as well as specializations. The primary trait is more heavily weighted, and the secondary gets about half the weight. The game gives feedback when you are activating a trait via new HUD icons that light up in the lower left-hand corner, so you can understand if the trait fits with your play style. A large number of traits are unlocked right from the start, and the game awards the rest quickly as you level up.

Specializations are more context-based, like getting more energy late in a period or giving your team energy boosts if you get a late goal.

Since you won’t always be playing the same class in EASHL, NHL 19 allows you to save multiple loadouts so you can develop different roles like stay-at-home defensemen, hitting sniper, etc.

"Ultimately, we want people to have their favorite loadout so that when they're playing with their buddies, they are min-maxing,” Ho says. “They are strategizing as a group in how they are going to go in as a team with everyone playing their role on the team with their different loadouts."

Every time you level up, you earn a hockey bag that includes a random cosmetic item. Given that EA wants to expand into the wider hockey culture, this means you will receive apparel well beyond team jerseys. Yes, there is a lot team-brandedded apparel (for current teams – don’t expect a lot of Whalers and North Stars gear), but you can also earn parkas, hoodies, hats, track pants, cargo pants, breezers, unique skates, and fun sticks like an NHL ’94 themed twig. In all, EA says it has more than 900 customization items in the game, with more to come post-release.

Given this is EA we’re talking about, you’re probably wondering if these hockey bags are microtransaction focused. "They're not monetized, I'll say that right away,” Ho says. So why is it randomized instead of letting players pick what they want? “We wanted to create a lot of divergence so everyone is getting different rewards so they'll equip different pieces of apparel. We'll get instant variety on the ice."

You can’t trade items with other players, but at least you won't have to contend duplicates.
    Post edited by Follisimo on

• Why are we not getting GM Connected back? There were three core modes to this game - a core mode being something a player bought this game for the sole reason of playing that mode. Hut, Eashl, and GM connected are the core modes. GM connected has been missing since the new generation. Why do we keep getting new secondary modes (3s, pond hickey, etc.) and not our missing core mode back?

These modes might be fun to play as a distraction, but no one is going to buy the games for the sole reason of playing these modes. Because they are not like hockey, and people buy this game to play hockey.
  • In the gameinformer article it talks about how TPS is like steering the Titanic. What are your thoughts on the new skating engine? Have you only tested it locally and how do you think it will translate in online play?
  • Is RPM a completely new skating engine or an addition/alteration to TPS? Basically has TPS been completely scrapped and removed from the game?
  • Can you explain more how the scouting in Franchise was improved?
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    RPM feels like a brand new skating engine. The control, feel and responsiveness all felt great, and this was with an online connection while in the studio. The ping was around 30-40 and it still managed to feel pretty good. The turns and crossovers all made the gameplay feel like the skating we were asking for years ago. The animations also look great with them. I really hope they continue to improve here and listen to community feedback if any tweaks are needed.

I hated TPS and and to slowly learn to live with it, the new skating kind of reinvigorates my hopes for the gameplay. I am excited to see what you guys think of it when they release the beta.

The new physics with hitting all felt and looked great. I had way too much fun running people in 1v1v1 with the way hits are. There was some instances that resulted in some undesirable collision but that was an early build and hopefully has been fixed since.
  • MDubz83
    152 posts Member
    For some reason I don't think we are getting a beta this year. Last year at the awards, Elliotte Friedman said to sign up to get your beta code emailed to you after they showed the trailer, and this year? Not a peep.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    Game engine ? PC ?

No PC yet, but with Fifa and Madden going that route I hope NHL isn't that far behind.

As for game engine, they complete rebuilt both the skating engine and the hitting engine. We most likely would not have got a new skating engine if they went to frostbite. As said be Tyler they decided to focus on core gameplay mechanics.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    Why are we not getting GM Connected back? There were three core modes to this game - a core mode being something a player bought this game for the sole reason of playing that mode. Hut, Eashl, and GM connected are the core modes. GM connected has been missing since the new generation. Why do we keep getting new secondary modes (3s, pond hickey, etc.) and not our missing core mode back?

These modes might be fun to play as a distraction, but no one is going to buy the games for the sole reason of playing these modes. Because they are not like hockey, and people buy this game to play hockey.

I really want to see the return of an online franchise mode. GM Connected had horrible menu lag and was overly ambitious in it's attempt to hold 100+ players.. when I just wanted to be able to play online franchise. I hope they look into bringing it back sometime soon. It's brought up every year since NHL 15.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    MDubz83 wrote: »
    For some reason I don't think we are getting a beta this year. Last year at the awards, Elliotte Friedman said to sign up to get your beta code emailed to you after they showed the trailer, and this year? Not a peep.

As far as I know, there should still be a Beta.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    WeirdViper wrote: »
    Can you explain more how the scouting in Franchise was improved?

This Polygon quote does more justice than I could explain:

"In NHL 19, you’ll have a separate scouting budget, and will have to hire and fire scouts with an eye on their regional specializations. For instance, one may be an expert in Russia and Scandinavia but may have a mediocre awareness of players elsewhere. Scouts will return detailed reports with graded attributes and text descriptions, and there’s a fog-of-war element: Any players to whom you don’t assign a scout will be blind spots, with no hints of their abilities. And if you draft someone you haven’t scouted, you still won’t see their ratings until they play a few games somewhere in your organization."

It adds almost another game within franchise if you are looking for some scouting depth. Fog-of-war changes the game quite a bit, you won't know any of the other teams rookie player abilities until you scout that team.
  • Tonyfereli wrote: »
    Can you explain more how the scouting in Franchise was improved?

This Polygon quote does more justice than I could explain:

"In NHL 19, you’ll have a separate scouting budget, and will have to hire and fire scouts with an eye on their regional specializations. For instance, one may be an expert in Russia and Scandinavia but may have a mediocre awareness of players elsewhere. Scouts will return detailed reports with graded attributes and text descriptions, and there’s a fog-of-war element: Any players to whom you don’t assign a scout will be blind spots, with no hints of their abilities. And if you draft someone you haven’t scouted, you still won’t see their ratings until they play a few games somewhere in your organization."

It adds almost another game within franchise if you are looking for some scouting depth. Fog-of-war changes the game quite a bit, you won't know any of the other teams rookie player abilities until you scout that team.

as someone who loves building a team from the ground up this sounds interesting and like a new challenge since it was pretty easy to build a stud team once you knew the old system and how it worked

one followup question to do with scouting... will it still be limited by # of weeks or is it more of just "focus on this area"
  • Follisimo
    1313 posts Member
    So can you play private 4's in EASHL Club or can't say?

• Follisimo wrote: »

What is private 4s?
  • Follisimo wrote: »

What is private 4s?

Think he means 3s with a goalie
  • Follisimo
    1313 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    Follisimo wrote: »

What is private 4s?

Think he means 3s with a goalie

He should know what I meant. Last I checked in EASHL you don't play 5's with every position taken by a human. So it's 4's with 2f,1d,1g all humans.

• Okay, I only have 2 questions, and they're big ones for the eSports community.

1: Is there a club practice mode?

2: What are these Height parameters? Are we going to be unable to use completely realistic builds for the sake of fitting in a cookie cutter box? Im hoping at minimum a 5ft10-6ft2 range for EVERY BUILD. Its ridiculous to assume because someone is a Defensive D, they are gigantic. Every class, 5ft10 minimum at least - 6ft2 maximum at least.
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    one followup question to do with scouting... will it still be limited by # of weeks or is it more of just "focus on this area"

There was more options to # of weeks and areas to send your scouts, which all had variances to how much you had to budget to send them to locations.