EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Trailer reaction

Replies

• B-Bunny wrote: »
    We can go back and forth all day about this I'm sure. If you want you can PM me, but the arguments exhausted. In the middle of this thread isn't the proper place for the discussion though so I'll leave it at that.

I'm still waiting on a response about BE A PRO its been 4 years since you have done anything with that game mode but 1v1v1 is gonna be so much fun with puck rangers and the same glitch goals
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
    Curious where the guys who have been hating on TPS for years are?

Finally get a new skating system and I don't see em!

I've always enjoyed TPS offline but it translates extremely poorly with online lag. This new skating engine if you want to call it that sounds nice and dandy but how will stack up online?
    We can go back and forth all day about this I'm sure. If you want you can PM me, but the arguments exhausted. In the middle of this thread isn't the proper place for the discussion though so I'll leave it at that.

Im not arguing. I am a paying customer of a series for over 20 years and as someone who was dedicated to the franchise its my right to be able to voice my opinion and concern about the games overall future. Thats business 101 and thats being a consumer. The product isn't there and I am not impressed but, the irony is. I am having more of a conversation with you, than a Dev. Anybody who can think for themselves knows the communication between the Dev team and customers on here or social media is horrible unless its kiss **** feedback or HUT.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    lovell2305 wrote: »
    B-Bunny wrote: »

I'm still waiting on a response about BE A PRO its been 4 years since you have done anything with that game mode but 1v1v1 is gonna be so much fun with puck rangers and the same glitch goals

If it hasn't been mentioned we can't talk about it.

I've always enjoyed TPS offline but it translates extremely poorly with online lag. This new skating engine if you want to call it that sounds nice and dandy but how will stack up online?

We shall see. IMO it can't be worse than what we had so I'll view it as a win.
    PSN: B-Bunny

It was mentioned in the polygon article talking about franchise mode it says its only adding tree skills so i don't know who handles the be a pro aspect of your game they have been on vacation for 4 years. Its just sad that customers who make you money get no say in helping you make a better game to get more money you think the logic there would benefit your company.
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    JTechGP wrote: »

Fair enough.

The skating does look different, have to wait and see if its better, the trailer didn't look overly promising.

Improved skating doesn't mean a whole lot if the game modes are unplayable, like they were in NHL18.

The game modes in 18 are completely playable for me, but I know a lot of people face lag and such. It's the theory of many that with improved skating lag won't be such an issue.
  • Socair wrote: »
    Nothing for Franchise mode it would seem. That is disappointing, but the RPM Tech could make it all worth it. I am actually pretty excited about that.

No GM Connected but we got 1v1v1. Is this a joke?
    I am so done with this franchise.
  • lovell2305 wrote: »

It was mentioned in the polygon article talking about franchise mode it says its only adding tree skills so i don't know who handles the be a pro aspect of your game they have been on vacation for 4 years. Its just sad that customers who make you money get no say in helping you make a better game to get more money you think the logic there would benefit your company.

You know B-Bunny is a mod/gamechanger right? No one is making him money, he's not employed by EA.
  • cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks good to me, Not sure what everyone expected. But the fact they have addressed the skating engine some, makes me satisfied.

you hold EA with low expectations and for that reason is why this game hasn't improved. If you put NHL on a spectrum compared to every sports release (MLB the show, UFC, Madden, FIFA, NBA Live, NBA 2k etc.) NHL would be a caveman on that spectrum while everybody else is in the 21st century. Still have 360 style graphics on a next gen console. They added pond hockey when that was in NHL 2k almost 10 years ago. They are finally getting around to doing a new skating mechanics after the last ones were soooooo good let me tell you. Instead of doing NHL 3s last year they should've done the skating mechanics last year. I have 0 confidence in the development team or EA even the backlash the trailer is getting from all social media plats including the forums will show this game will be buried in due time. Even NHL 18s sales were garbage.

you must be new around, tell me how this game makes leaps and bounds year after ?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I find it really funny that months ago EA put out that promising survey about new features in the game, new gameplay, new engine etc. and they put barely 20% of what they put in that survey into the game this year.

If they had the time and manpower in Vancouver to get it all done in the 7 months they actually work on the game, they would do it for sure.

Im sorry this isn't a valid excuse, i barely have enough manpower to build bridges and tunnels but we still get the job done in almost impossible timelines in the NYC area. This has been a constant excuse for almost this whole new console generation. NHL 15 came out, bare bones and it was "not enough staff to even put drafting in be a gm mode" and all the next games were barely any innovation or progression. Putting bandaids on open wounds. There are indie games making practically AAA title scale games with less development staff and timeline of development compared to NHL and they get the job done. Im just tired of hearing the excuses. Its the same thing every single year.

Timelines are one thing, the scope of the project is another. People here don't understand how incredibly complex this game is. That's fine because this isn't a community of developers. Which also means you shouldn't assume that because an indie game can release in the same amount of time that it means NHL is going to have everything you want. There's an amazing chance that an indie shooter isn't going to have the same kind of tech that NHL does.
  • MDubz83
    152 posts Member

Pretty sure this trailer didn't show a lick of this new skating engine. It looked exactly like NHL 18 with a pond mode
  • New skating huh? Sold right there.
  • Tonyfereli wrote: »
    There is also a released blog with some more features announced: https://www.easports.com/nhl/features
    In NHL® 19, play on outdoor rinks and journey from the ponds to the pros in new and returning game modes.
    The game mode literally no one asked for.
    Compete with and against 200 of the greatest hockey legends to ever hit the ice, highlighted by Wayne Gretzky.
    That's gonna be another 'who cares?' for me.
    Powered by cutting-edge new gameplay technology, experience explosive-edge skating that delivers more acceleration, speed and responsiveness.
    We aren't going to show any footage of it, and this isn't the first time we've said this, but you can totally take our word for it this time.
    For the first time in franchise history, step onto the pond and compete in the EA SPORTS Hockey League, NHL THREES, Play Now and the brand new modes NHL ONES and Pro-Am. In NHL ONES, you and two other players compete in a 1v1v1 free-for-all gauntlet. Showcase your skills and creativity with no rules, no stoppages, and no limits.
    1v1v1? Like three nets? Is there a touch-up system like pickup basketball? Why not just play, like, normal North American ice hockey? I guess that's asking a lot from an NHL game, though.
    With RPM Tech, Explosive-edge skating enables more control over how you generate speed using edge-work and crossovers. With all new animations, you'll experience more responsiveness in acceleration, high-speed skating, and pin-point turns.
    Take my word for it! That'll be $60.
    Stand out on the ice with over 900 customization options from authentic NHL apparel to pond hockey lifestyle clothing from some of the biggest brands in sports. Express yourself like never before with thousands of combinations of fresh looks. Stay up to date with the latest NHL® 19 news and never miss out on gear for your avatar.
    ...but it'll cost you ;)
    Play with or against over 200 hockey legends spanning 100 years of NHL history and build your dream team. Superstars of today's game playing alongside historical figures of past seasons is a defining factor of one hockey.
    Yeah, you said that.

Seven bullet points, three of which are the same, one of which is a thinly-veiled hint to microtransactions.
    I think I'll pass on this one.

• Guys, this is all from NBA Live 18. They probably do everything so they can recycle the code for both games.

The streets (the pond) / the league, the crates (hockey bag).

And the new skating based on the Fifa
  • Woooooo! You listened to my ideas from 3-4 years ago with the pond hockey and free-4-all return!

Gear to grind for? Yes please.

Better skating and puck pickups is huge. I’d love to see how these actually play

I’m excited as hell, thank you. Finally have a reason to get back into this game

Can any gamechangers say anything about how eashl is going to work? Do we still have arena/jersey customization or is it all played outside with our ODR gear?

Also, do we still have 3 on 3 EASHL?
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Looks good to me, Not sure what everyone expected. But the fact they have addressed the skating engine some, makes me satisfied.

you hold EA with low expectations and for that reason is why this game hasn't improved. If you put NHL on a spectrum compared to every sports release (MLB the show, UFC, Madden, FIFA, NBA Live, NBA 2k etc.) NHL would be a caveman on that spectrum while everybody else is in the 21st century. Still have 360 style graphics on a next gen console. They added pond hockey when that was in NHL 2k almost 10 years ago. They are finally getting around to doing a new skating mechanics after the last ones were soooooo good let me tell you. Instead of doing NHL 3s last year they should've done the skating mechanics last year. I have 0 confidence in the development team or EA even the backlash the trailer is getting from all social media plats including the forums will show this game will be buried in due time. Even NHL 18s sales were garbage.

you must be new around, tell me how this game makes leaps and bounds year after ?

want me to break out the sales numbers for the last 4 games? You want to look and see how the overall community feels? You see how long it takes to find games now because nobody plays it? If it’s making leaps and bounds people would be buying the game. You and like 2 other people are the only people that defend the game when Majority are tired of EA and the lack of progression in the series. Don’t believe me?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/1009600374209064961

Majority of the feedback on the initial release trailer is negative, it’s not like I’m here spreading this rare message that nobody thinks of. You can go back and look on their twitter even when NHL 18 was released and the overall community feedback.

If this game was worth anything it wouldn’t of been in the Bargain bin 3 months after release
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member

want me to break out the sales numbers for the last 4 games? You want to look and see how the overall community feels? You see how long it takes to find games now because nobody plays it? If it’s making leaps and bounds people would be buying the game. You and like 2 other people are the only people that defend the game when Majority are tired of EA and the lack of progression in the series. Don’t believe me?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/status/1009600374209064961

Majority of the feedback on the initial release trailer is negative, it’s not like I’m here spreading this rare message that nobody thinks of. You can go back and look on their twitter even when NHL 18 was released and the overall community feedback.

If this game was worth anything it wouldn’t of been in the Bargain bin 3 months after release

Personally I am happy that people are negative. Its about time that people start acting like customers again instead of cash cows.

In the past, people would rave and dance at each new reveal that still reeked of bad gameplay and then got angry 2 months in.

Maybe this year will be the opposite. people judge harshly and then may be pleasantly surprised. Worst case, the game is still trash and people were tough on EA from the start which will push EA to work harder to regain the favor of the crowd.
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member

Im one of them. I was playing with my kid / sleeping. I saw the reveal and trailer this morning. I am excited about eh TPS replacement. That alone made the reveal interesting to me and makes me hope that the game will be playable again instead of a glorified bumper car game.

Remains to be seen how it will perform especially with fatmanlag though. So im not holding my breath yet but as I said, cautiously optimistic.

I think that fixing this now before frostbite is a good thing. Adding frostbite instead of this would have been Wow great graphics but yuck bad gameplay EA ripped us off again type of complaints. Now they fix this, get a bit of backlash in the process but if its done well, it will really pay off as they move forward.

• Compared to the launch of 18, this looks way better.
    Last years launch was great, all the way up to "... where's the fun in that?" From there it went downhill with mascots and what not.
    I really like the note they have struck this year a lot more.
    Reworked skating engine offering better acceleration, agility, and control? YES!!! Finally!
    Body checking that actually works? Does this mean that whenever someone is gliding around, with their upper body twisted at a 110° angle, I can use my new found acceleration combined with this reworked body check and finally sit them down?
    If so, it would be exactly what this game has been screaming for. It would change how this game is played, across all modes. I can't wait to see how this new "engine" is implemented.
    Then, ponds? Hoodies and parkas? 1v1v1? Well, they need some bullet points, at least these are somewhat hockey related. Indoor/Outdoor, wearing whatever, HUT / EASHL ... It's the gameplay that matters. Seems like they have put a lot of effort into just that.
  • After several years of being quite disappointed with the next version of NHL, I now have such low expectations that even if a few things are improved without ruining any of the others, I'll be satisfied. I mean, it's not like there's another hockey game to choose from, and since hockey is my favorite sport/pastime/form of entertainment, I have no choice but to buy NHL 19. I know many people feel that this type of attitude won't lead to forcing EA to invest enough to make substantial improvements to the game, but that's the life. The one and only hockey game is better than none at all so I'll take what I can get.

I am anxious to see what they referred to as "Explosive-Edge skating in NHL 19, fuelled by Real Player Motion (RPM) Tech" (and yes, EA apparently doesn't even proofread their promotional website content because any spell checker would have picked up the misspelled word in that sentence). Maybe that, along with the "new physics collision technology" will at least make EASHL a little more enjoyable.

We'll see.