EA Forums - Banner

Cautiously optimistic

kezz123
600 posts Member
edited June 2018
After seeing the trailer and the reveal of new features, I am actually cautiously optimistic.

New Skating:
This was by far the most game breaking feature implemented in the game and it needed to be #1 priority on the change list. Having a new skating engine, ANY new skating engine, was a MINIMUM for me to even consider playing this game again. They did this and it "sounds" like they did it well to address the major deficiencies of the old system. This alone is enough for me to be happy with the entire reveal. Now it remains to be seen how this work in game and with fatmanlag.

Pond and customisations
The outdoor games and customization looked like great fun to me. It looked cool to see players in jeans and so on. Its where I grew up and so it brings back a lot of memories and just looks like sinful fun to me. Is it a necessary addition? no. is it pretty cool? yes. And pretty cool is part of evolving the game. Customization are key to the future of the game, like it or not. look at any other popular games and they sell customization like hot buns. People are all going this route not because its a trend but because players love it and they are finally understanding this. Look at top games like fortnite and rocket league.... And this was a thing in old game like everquest where people would farm for countless hours to get a piece of gear that looked cool and unique and made them stand out.

Legends:
Gimmicky. A 12 year old can literally go and create legends in the character editor. Nothing here really but for those who like that stuff...sure. It probably cost them like 1 day of development.

Conclusion:
So overall I think the negativity so far is a product of the fans still feeling bitter at years of dealing with a mediocre game at full price. But I think the changes are them going in the right direction.

Next priorities for me:
-The absolute top priority now in my eyes is to address the server issues / fatmanlag issues. This might not happen in a reveal so I still remain hopeful that they are looking at this.

-The other main priority in my eyes is the return of multiple dressing rooms for EASHL. If they do this, bigger clubs will form again and the community will grow. Friendships will be made and more 5s and 6s games will take place. This is KEY to restore EASHL to its former glory (assuming that the gameplay is actually good)

Replies

• Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I am willing to try the new movement system.

I am sort of fine with the customizations and microtransactions as long as they provide visual enhancements only. If they have meaningful effect on gameplay, it’s just another cash grab.

I know microtransactions have not been mentioned, at least I haven’t seen, in preorder bonuses ”World of Chel Hockey Bag” smells like it.

Only thing is that I will be even less forgiving on lag or movement issues in the game if they persist. Clearly they are confident they are resolved since they decided to introuduce and spend time on new way of monetization.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    Theres no microtransaction ^
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »

I hope you’re right. Would hate to see that NHL point count throughout the UI.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Kuus2 wrote: »

Im literally confirming theres none. :)

Besides HUT of course.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    I'd be fine with mtx on customization IF the gameplay is top notch. I like supporting devs who make good products and I like mtx if priced fairly. But first priority is gameplay.
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    kezz123 wrote: »
    I'd be fine with mtx on customization IF the gameplay is top notch. I like supporting devs who make good products and I like mtx if priced fairly. But first priority is gameplay.

I agree. I havent played it yet so im eagerly waiting for my first 6v6 eashl game.
  • I'm in a pickle. Some guy is selling a "sealed" Xbox One 500GB for $250CDN and I'm jonesing hard right now.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    Arent the prices of the xbox going down? if they havent already?
    I'd wait to at least hear feedback from beta to rush but its up to you really.
    its a good deal but then again:
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075HC7XCF/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b7YKQqZ_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=Y47DDMHCPYB1SS6P81YD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=3f93b46a-66f2-54d8-a2ec-7cf42dae8766&pf_rd_i=6920195011

• B-Bunny wrote: »
    Kuus2 wrote: »

Im literally confirming theres none. :)

Besides HUT of course.

So you only earn Hockey Bags, you can't buy them, aside from the pre order bonus?
  • B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited June 2018
    I'm in a pickle. Some guy is selling a "sealed" Xbox One 500GB for $250CDN and I'm jonesing hard right now.

You sound like youre on the edge of an impulse buy lately. Hold off until you see more stuff released.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm in a pickle. Some guy is selling a "sealed" Xbox One 500GB for $250CDN and I'm jonesing hard right now.

You sound like youre on the edge of an impulse buy lately. Hold off until you see more stuff released.

Definately on the edge.
  • Follisimo
    1033 posts Member
    I would think if you read the GameInformer article @kezz123 that player customization would be of interest to you also.

• kezz123
    600 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »
    I would think if you read the GameInformer article @kezz123 that player customization would be of interest to you also.

Thats the article I based this post on. I should have specified. And yes I thought it was very interesting.
  • jimmo52
    89 posts Member
    I agree with you Op. I'm also cautiously optimistic.
    The skating looks really nice, but I hope the pokes affect it more. I hate seeing poke on the skate that do not give out penalties.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    After seeing the trailer and the reveal of new features, I am actually cautiously optimistic.
    Me too but mostly for:

New Skating:
    This was by far the most game breaking feature implemented in the game and it needed to be #1 priority on the change list. Having a new skating engine, ANY new skating engine, was a MINIMUM for me to even consider playing this game again. They did this and it "sounds" like they did it well to address the major deficiencies of the old system. This alone is enough for me to be happy with the entire reveal. Now it remains to be seen how this work in game and with fatmanlag.
    Legends:
    Gimmicky. A 12 year old can literally go and create legends in the character editor. Nothing here really but for those who like that stuff...sure. It probably cost them like 1 day of development.
    But a nice offshoot is that my real last name might re-appear because of this :)

Dad. Gamer. Rocker. Geek.
  • kezz123
    600 posts Member
    lol nice. I have nothing against features like Legends really but its basically gravy for people who love this and since this game appeals to various groups for various reasons, I think im cool with them adding this in. Just like 3s and 1s even if some of us may not play it very often, its nice to have options and I am sure that for certain people they will love it.

Not to forget that perhaps some casuals will pick it up for 1s or 3s and end up getting more serious and this could be the future of eashl.

But the new skating....oh god....if they really fixed it...if its really good....will be such a huge improvement.

The problem I still have is with fatmanlag which does not ONLY affect skating but passing, shooting, hitting, pickups and poking. So it will be much less painful with a better skating but it may still be painful.

Thats the part that worries me most.