EA Forums - Banner

Trailer Skating Clips

Prev1
I wish they showed more but here are some clips from the trailer that seem to show off some new skating. I notice a lot of crossovers which I don't believe are in 18/TPS.

ctvYpX.gif

XVTO6g.gif

OuR1O9.gif

BWGR_a.gif

xCd8Tb.gif

These clips show a little bit of what this statement is trying to convey:
"Grabbing the controller, it only took a matter of seconds to understand just how dramatically the skating system has improved. Players burst out of their stops, showing the acceleration of world-class athletes. Their edgework, crossovers, and carving looks more in line with NHL players, and it’s much easier to turn, cut, and make hard stops. Turns are more responsive and natural feeling. "Before it was difficult to just take a step or two over, now you can actually do that," Ho says. That fidelity of movement is going to be necessary, because when elite stick handlers get used to the new skating, they could be even harder to stop. "

I've said it for years now, they can add all the fancy customization stuff and game modes they want, but none of that will matter until the game feels crisp and responsive to play again. The number one thing they could do is nail the feel and control, and it looks and sounds like they've attempted that at least.

Fingers crossed they've got it right. It would be nice to have a good hockey game again, this gen has been a flop so far. I guess we'll see how it turned out during the beta.

Replies

• That outdoor pond skate is so sexy
  • More in game animation is a definite benefit. Could care less about goal celebrations. Talk about a waste of time and effort.
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    Thanks for making the gifs @Workin_OT.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    Yeah hopefully we start getting more info on modes and a possible beta soon. Sadly in the gaming world seeing is not believing. Hands on is the only true way of believing.
  • WPGjets
    43 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    yeah I aggree its just newer animations that they added to the game to make you think its a revamped skating system.

I hope the newer animations dont get abused like puck protect was abused in nhl legacy.
    More in game animation is a definite benefit. Could care less about goal celebrations. Talk about a waste of time and effort.

• Santini3
    482 posts Member
    WPGjets wrote: »
    yeah I aggree its just newer animations that they added to the game to make you think its a revamped skating system.

I hope the newer animations dont get abused like puck protect was abused in nhl legacy.
    More in game animation is a definite benefit. Could care less about goal celebrations. Talk about a waste of time and effort.

You agree with who? Who said that?
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    edited June 2018

Great gifs. Its nice to be able to look at them without replaying the entire video.
    The skating definitely looks a LOT more realistic at least on these portions of the video.

Again still worried about fatman lag but overall this will be an improvement...anything would be.

That portion with crosby doing stops and go is where fatmanlag will likely be the most frustrating. Looks amazing in real time but with the mud effect I can see this feeling similar to what we have now. Hopefully its mitigated tho.
  • This is a pretty nifty post. I like a lot of what I saw.
  • CrushNHL
    460 posts Member
    I’m still curious about pivots and the “scooby doo” effect where your player shuffles his feet like he is slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon and is “stunned” for about a full second after receiving a pass while standing still. Happens a lot when you pass back or across to a D-Man at the point.
  • CrushNHL wrote: »
    I’m still curious about pivots and the “scooby doo” effect where your player shuffles his feet like he is slipping on a banana peel in a cartoon and is “stunned” for about a full second after receiving a pass while standing still. Happens a lot when you pass back or across to a D-Man at the point.

Agreed this is why these video clips show you really nothing. You have to get out there and play before you see how it really functions.
  • CrushNHL wrote: »

Happens so much in 1v1 modes.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Realistic skating shouldn't be the goal (that's what got us TPS), control and responsiveness should be the goal. But... If you can get both, realism and control/responsiveness then bonus. Lets hope this new skating engine is legit, for the first time in 6 years I'm excited about buying the game.
  • This is a pretty nifty post. I like a lot of what I saw.

Agreed, especially the first clip. Notice how quickly the D man pivots and starts moving.
  • More in game animation is a definite benefit. Could care less about goal celebrations. Talk about a waste of time and effort.

Speak for yourself, the 2-man goal celebrations looked horrible. It’s about time they made them more realistic with all 5 players on the ice. It’s not a waste of time. But pond hockey? That is.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member

Speak for yourself, the 2-man goal celebrations looked horrible. It’s about time they made them more realistic with all 5 players on the ice. It’s not a waste of time. But pond hockey? That is.

Amazing, people can have different opinions!
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    B-Bunny wrote: »

@B-Bunny , I don't agree with your opinion on opinions.

All kidding aside, I hope you find what you are looking for this year @Workin_OT . It's great to see you back posting again :smile:
  • EA_Roger wrote: »

All kidding aside, I hope you find what you are looking for this year @Workin_OT . It's great to see you back posting again :smile:

Well from what little we have seen so far Roger, I think this new skating engine will turn out to be what alot of people are looking for. Exciting times up ahead ;)

And I hope the game is good enough to bring me back playing again too :grin:
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited June 2018
    EA_Roger wrote: »
    It's great to see you back posting again :smile:

What about me?
    Post edited by Taste-D-Rainbow on

What about me?

What about you?