EA Forums - Banner

I don't care about Frostbite

Prev13
So it may be just me, but does anyone else really care if NHL doesn't go to Frostbite? From what this article says:
Socair wrote: »
Some more tidbits in this article
(Legends available in Fanchise is one I think some will be happy to see).

FIFA isn't seeing a vast improvement, and from what Rammer is quoted as saying:

"NHL producer Sean Ramjasingh says of the Frostbite Engine, "We're still evaluating. It's not easy getting on a new engine, it's kind of like a console transition. We're monitoring FIFA and Madden and learning about the successes and challenges they've had.""

It sounds like we might end up taking a huge step backwards (a la NHL 15) just for some better graphics. Personally, I feel this would be ABSOLUTELY the wrong move for NHL 20. Imo, we need an Online Franchise back, and we need to not lose the progress EA has made in NHL.

I personally hope the franchise never transitions to Frostbite unless we are guaranteed to not lose functionality in exchange, and we have everything back that we are still missing - looking at you, Online Franchise.

Replies

• Follisimo
    1043 posts Member
    Frostbite will eventually happen my guess was NHL 21 cause it would need to be done on the side and slowly worked on. Pretty much all of the EA games are getting run on Frostbite. Frostbite also has versions too which I'm sure adds to headaches. I always felt that GM Connected returns when we make the jump to Frostbite.

• I do not want Frostbite happening if they are going to sell the game bare bones with a ton of missing features that the old generations had.
  • Frostbite won't happen it's an old engine that isn't likely worth it. I have no idea why anyone ever thought it would solve any problems
  • I don't want Frostbite, or the steps backward that it will bring.
  • FSX_PinkFatLady
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I have to agree...Frostbite engine is soooooooo outdated!!! I'm sure it would really look and play like crap right!!? Here have a look at how this would be such a disappointing upgrade!!...

Don't mind the game, it's the engine we're talking about here right? People sometimes!... :D

"You know nothing Jon Snow!!!"

• So now that I've made my point, how about having some EA branch of staff allocated to the NHL franchise ( Maybe 3-4 people) I imagine you are not 10 in the office programming NHL games right ? and just allow these people to play around with the engine and how it's capabilities could push the ps4 power limit to it's max!!? (Both console versions obviously)

And now Imagine a PC version of NHL looking like the above...(Insert saliva drooling)

The only thing needed is good programmers, good vision of the product and give what fans want weather it is on console or eventually PC (Positive reinforcement here) The best hockey game ever!!!

Could even be on the next gen if that's what it takes...

But please, do not say things without really knowing what you are talking about. inform, research, envision and do not limit yourselves.

That goes for EA also. No offense here nor sarcasm. It's just constructive criticism. :)

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    So now that I've made my point, how about having some EA branch of staff allocated to the NHL franchise ( Maybe 3-4 people) I imagine you are not 10 in the office programming NHL games right ? and just allow these people to play around with the engine and how it's capabilities could push the ps4 power limit to it's max!!? (Both console versions obviously)

And now Imagine a PC version of NHL looking like the above...(Insert saliva drooling)

The only thing needed is good programmers, good vision of the product and give what fans want weather it is on console or eventually PC (Positive reinforcement here) The best hockey game ever!!!

But please, do not say things without really knowing what you are talking about. inform, research, envision and do not limit yourselves.

That goes for EA also. No offense here nor sarcasm. It's just constructive criticism. :)

It's not a lack of good programmers. It's more a lack of an audience for a PC hockey game. As far as Frostbite goes, I can take it or leave it. The game looks fine as it is. I'm more interested in gameplay and the new RPM system looks really promising. If it plays as well as it looks, Frostbite isn't going to be such a concern.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    So now that I've made my point, how about having some EA branch of staff allocated to the NHL franchise ( Maybe 3-4 people) I imagine you are not 10 in the office programming NHL games right ? and just allow these people to play around with the engine and how it's capabilities could push the ps4 power limit to it's max!!? (Both console versions obviously)

Graphics engine is not the longstanding issue with this game. Who cares about graphics when the game looks fine as it is.

Switching to Frostbite would set the team back by at least 3 or 4 years. There is no need to switch at this point. Trade-off isn't worth it.
  • FSX_PinkFatLady
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I was speaking on both sides, not just PC but for sure considering how the engine still looks pretty darn good, the PC version would be the dream. And as far as I am concern, I would gladly take a well polish hockey game with all the current gen invested in it and keep that version for 3-4 years until an other gen comes in. I would gladly pay for a roster update at a REASONABLE price and live with this with ZERO issue!!
    And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Most games are programmed on PC anyways then ported to consoles and that is a fact!!

Now, with that being said, a console version using again well trained programmers devoting more time to get better end results (Insert $$) is logical on a mid to long term point of view.

But you know, it's wayyyyyyy more profitable to re-hash the same product year after year with minimal changes and hiding the fact that this is just a question of money. Instead of creating the best hockey game in all it's fidelity technologically speaking with whatever is available today, it's easier and cost less for the company to just add some extra features, modes that really at the base of it all, true hardcore hockey fans don't care. I'm not talking about the base modes obviously but all the "others" that really don't have anything to do with the core of the sport. Addons, just addons.

Make a game from it's roots and have the customers (yes, customers), the ones that puts food on their table for their families and provides them handsomely a quality of life that most of us (customers) would ever dream of, something to look forward too.

I'ts a win / win situation no!!?? Am I the only one able to think out of the tank here!!?? Surely I am not!!

Sometimes, things, facts, reality checks are required and it's not necessarily nice and cute and so teenage don't say bad words now and limit our already limited rights in this world to express our opinions and liberties of ideas. You know? working hands in hands, like a team instead of always wanting more from each other!!? That type of thing!!?

On this they can do what they want and my reality check to them will not change anything but at least someone needs to know how we humans are getting (insert any words of your choosing) and at the end of the day entertainment is not better then any other planetary subject from whom we suffer the same...

Think about that now hey? ;)

Have a good day!!

P.S Sorry for the grammar, I'm french!! (Hockey is a religion over here) lolll!!
  • So now that I've made my point, how about having some EA branch of staff allocated to the NHL franchise ( Maybe 3-4 people) I imagine you are not 10 in the office programming NHL games right ? and just allow these people to play around with the engine and how it's capabilities could push the ps4 power limit to it's max!!? (Both console versions obviously)

Graphics engine is not the longstanding issue with this game. Who cares about graphics when the game looks fine as it is.

Switching to Frostbite would set the team back by at least 3 or 4 years. There is no need to switch at this point. Trade-off isn't worth it.

The game looks fine...minecraft looks fine for what it is intended to be... So if I understand your view point, no need to upgrade the whole thing, and by the way my whole point was never about the graphics alone, I guess you don't get the whole picture here.

Switching to frostbite would set them back by at least 3-4 years...Hmmm ok, that is why they keep ugrading it every year. But I'm sure you already knew that after watching the video right ?

Oh and the same thing goes for the Unreal engine, Crytech engine etc etc..they are sooo outdated that they bother upgrading them year after year along with the hardware.

But they all look, feel, plays like 3-4 year old tech..Oh well!!

I better see an eye doctor I guess then...

As for gameplay again, in what world upgrading an engine as anything to do with the core gameplay!!??

It comes back to : If you don't know how to use an engine to it's full potential, get the best out of it, well maybe you should think about changing fields of work hey!?

I call this incompetence, lack of vision and a stroooong desire can of " We really don't care that much but we won't say it out loud"!!! I'm sure all the other great games studios like Nauthgy Dog, Project Red, to name just a few are just being the same then in the industry, same thinking, Oh it's fine like that, let's not innovate now!

We all know what kind of products they deliver hey!? And that goes well hand in hand with sales don't you think ?

Tell me now, which games sell the most ? and most importantly why ? the ones from the above devs ? or the one we wish for in here ?

• WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member

The game looks fine...minecraft looks fine for what it is intended to be... So if I understand your view point, no need to upgrade the whole thing, and by the way my whole point was never about the graphics alone, I guess you don't get the whole picture here.

Switching to frostbite would set them back by at least 3-4 years...Hmmm ok, that is why they keep ugrading it every year. But I'm sure you already knew that after watching the video right ?

Oh and the same thing goes for the Unreal engine, Crytech engine etc etc..they are sooo outdated that they bother upgrading them year after year along with the hardware.

As for gameplay again, in what world upgrading an engine as anything to do with the core gameplay!!??

It comes back to : If you don't know how to use an engine to it's full potential, get the best out of it, well maybe you should think about changing fields of work hey!?

I call this incompetence, lack of vision and a stroooong desire can of " We really don't care that much but we won't say it out loud"!!! I'm sure all the other great games studios like Nauthgy Dog, Project Red, to name just a few are just being the same then in the industry, same thinking, Oh it's fine like that, let's not innovate now!

We all know what kind of products they deliver hey!? And that goes well hand in hand with sales don't you think ?

Tell me now, which games sell the most ? and most importantly why ? the ones from the above devs ? or the one we wish for in here ?

Sorry, but I think your knowledge is pretty skewed. You can't simply swap out an engine for another in a game. You swap engines, everything has to be redone.

Why are you talking like you make games for a living and know absolutely everything it involves? You have a secret that the rest of all developers don't have?

Lastly, what the heck do you expect out of this game by switching to Frostbite?? What do you think Frostbite will do that already cannot be done that actually pertains to hockey itself?

Sorry, but I think your knowledge is pretty skewed. You can't simply swap out an engine for another in a game. You swap engines, everything has to be redone.

Why are you talking like you make games for a living and know absolutely everything it involves? You have a secret that the rest of all developers don't have?

Lastly, what the heck do you expect out of this game by switching to Frostbite?? What do you think Frostbite will do that already cannot be done that actually pertains to hockey itself?

I never said anything about swapping, please indicate where I talked about swapping.

I said that frostbite would be awesome as a new engine with all that comes with it.

And why would it be a problem to re-do the whole thing ? Why!!?? tell me!! Besides loosing yearly sells, give me 1 good reason why they could not take a break for 2-3 years and redo it ? They aloud Dice to skip a year so they could release BF1 did they not? And it was worth it was it not ?

And what I do as a living is non of your concern, and your assumptions are totally out of line on a personal level btw. I don't know you, I don't owe you an explanation on who I am or what I do now do I ??

That being said enjoy your re-hash and the one next year and the one after and maybe I'll let you know then on a secret or 2 ..

I'm a super soldier-secret game maker and I am omnipotent, omniscient and above it all...You sure make it sound exciting though, thanks for that!!

• WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member

I never said anything about swapping, please indicate where I talked about swapping.

I said that frostbite would be awesome as a new engine with all that comes with it.

And why would it be a problem to re-do the whole thing ? Why!!?? tell me!! Besides loosing yearly sells, give me 1 good reason why they could not take a break for 2-3 years and redo it ? They aloud Dice to skip a year so they could release BF1 did they not? And it was worth it was it not ?

And what I do as a living is non of your concern, and your assumptions are totally out of line on a personal level btw. I don't know you, I don't owe you an explanation on who I am or what I do now do I ??

That being said enjoy your re-hash and the one next year and the one after and maybe I'll let you know then on a secret or 2 ..

I'm a super soldier-secret game maker and I am omnipotent, omniscient and above it all...You sure make it sound exciting though, thanks for that!!

.....Yea

Well, enjoy your time here on the forums. Wish you all the best.
  • @FSX_PinkFatLady

Do you think EA will make more money by switching to Frostbite, or do you think they will make less money by switching to Frostbite?
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    @FSX_PinkFatLady

Do you think EA will make more money by switching to Frostbite, or do you think they will make less money by switching to Frostbite?

Be careful, that question is possibly too personal. :tongue:
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member

Just dawned on me that you probably don't get what I meant by setting the game back 3-4 years.

I am not talking about tech, or the capabilities of the engine, or that it can't be upgraded.
    What I mean is, if they switch engines right now, it would take 3-4 years to have everything that is now in the game, back in the game. When you switch engines, you are basically starting from scratch. Think back to NHL 15 again.... And if you want to argue this point, take a look at what the executive producer himself says about switching to Frostbite:

NHL remains one of the two EA sports franchises to delay the transition to Frostbite, but even that is perhaps to NHL's benefit, as FIFA in particular has experienced only marginal gains while struggling with optimization issues. NHL producer Sean Ramjasingh says of the Frostbite Engine, "We're still evaluating. It's not easy getting on a new engine, it's kind of like a console transition. We're monitoring FIFA and Madden and learning about the successes and challenges they've had."

So there you have it. Hope this is clearer to you.

Also, maybe chill out on the attitude. No one here is out to get you, so relax and let's have a civil discussion. Anyone can resort to tough guy talk, but it leads to nowhere....
  • FSX_PinkFatLady
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Tough guy talk ...uh-huh..hmmm..Yeah I surely insulted everyone here by speaking my mind right ? I cursed and named and acted like a complete moron with absolutely no truth to what I've said...

All fine by me, if you all like getting fed junk all the time year after year then that is your choice. I can't do anything about that.

Just look at 80% of all the threads in here and scroll a few pages and it's all about complaints for this and that. And it's been going on for years. Yeah I've been here for long time just not posting obviously because people don't like change...they don't like being told straight in the face how things are in the real world.

But I'm sure your all going to be in line again to buy the game and again complain about it when it's out just like every other year.

If the game was so like everyone wanted it to be, maybe this forum wouldn't have the negative ambiance and be more happy with their purchase and experience.

Does it seem to be the case ? I'll ask you the question again in 2-3 years see how much it changed. Just like it's been for the past 4 years.

Attitude? It's called character and standing my ground. Can't deal with it ? Not my issue!

I'm bringing valid points but there's too many pink sunglasses wearers in here. All is dandy and fine right? and always was and always will be!!

I'm happy for you, then enjoy!!

Oh and btw, still didn't get an answer on what's the reason from keeping them to do a complete overhaul and sacrificing a few years to have a better product at the end ?

Yeah, we all know the reason!! The sunglasses are strong here!!!! ...ridiculous...lolll!!

I'd be very curious to see how many people in here wouldn't mind skipping a few years for a better end result but I must be crazy in my little universe to think that I'm the only one with that string of thoughts.

Time will tell, but time also already told us how it went since 3-4 years hey ?

Have a nice evening sir!

Edited swear content.

Post edited by Socair on
  • FSX_PinkFatLady
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Just a quick question to the few previous replies by you all..

How old are you and how long have you been playing NHL games ?

I'm 43 years old. I have probably been playing NHL longer then some of you might have even been born!

Title Release date Platform(s)
    NHL Hockey, EA Hockey 1991 Sega Genesis

Am I entitled to a direct opinion as an EXPERIENCED customer in the series ?? I sure am!!

I have seen the evolution of their games, I have bought every single one of them since.. (see up there)

So how much does this make ?? let's do the maths together : 27 years times an average of lets say 70$.

And that's without all the extra stuff I bought when online stuff came out about what ? 11 years ago (2007) ?

Is it not when the NHL series upgraded to the "next" gen level graphically wise, gameplay wise and so on ? Xbox 360 - Ps3 if I remember correctly.

So please how much of an evolution did we really and honestly get since then ? Yeah, it evolved, yeah it looks somewhat better, yeah it plays differently just like the average game out there whatever the genre & yeah after all it's just hockey...how much can it evolve right ? More then it is right now IMO.

Lack of allowed money to the branch staff in charge of everything. A smaller team then all other sport branches they have. I mean it's always about the dough..Who should be accountable in all of this ? us customers who invested..hmmm..hold down..27x70$...1890$$ minimum..Probably double that with all the extra purchases for different modes, deluxe editions, HUT and all...I'm probably one in the general public that paid less than the average to hard core lover of the game even at 3600$

But as it made leaps & bounds like the "other" games above average ?? I don't think so. Could it be an amazing, one of the best if not the best that there ever was game ? Yes it could of been or could be but only and just only if we would get more love from the company, the decision makers before it already gets approved and started by the devs.

It all bods down to this guys, I'm not here to infuriate anybody or everybody. I have no intention of being a jerk nor insult nor just complain to complain.

I'm sure many of you have the same feelings, but are just not expressing it enough so change occurs!! But most importantly It is the only voice, opportunity that we have as again it is what it is but..customers vs business that sells products, services, name it! to justify the time, money invested in this franchise!!

Was NHL games always like this ? No!! not at all, I have enjoyed most of them actually for different reasons through out the years.. But as of late (past 4-5 years, ps4 era) I can only say as a hard core supporting fan that I am just disappointed by the general overall of the direction the game has taken since.

The last NHL game I really enjoyed is the last one on the ps3 to be really honest. NHL 15 legends I believe culminated to be the best achievement of the series. The last and best version of it's past alliterations in the forms of control, input lag, online/offline polished engine and graphics in which it made a real fun game to play imo. Not talking about today's differences simulation wise but on an all general aspect of a hockey video game.

My wish is for them to wake up and get with the program. We are in 2018 and they should really innovate and give more love to this game. By the end of it all, as a hard core hockey lover as many of you out there, that's all we really want and willing to continue to support and invest in our favorite sport for. Don't you agree ?
    From a fan that supported you since you exist and are the creators of this product. Please consider us!

Thanks

P.s. Also bring the game on PC, a lot of us want it, I mean online piracy is not what it was 10 years ago. People HAVE to buy the games to play online in today's world. Well most of them. If you are scared of piracy just for the offline mode. Who cares really!! It is not any different from the console version. We buy it, pay the price and more. We either play offline or online or whatever suits our needs or desires. How could it be any different on PC. When it comes to making extra money, you rely on the modes that you implement requiring so and which are used by many of us on consoles already.

Could it be only because of the game being modded by different talented individuals would hurt the yearly new games ? Just make it so nobody can!! loll..I mean how hard would that be ? No matter the engine used weather it's called frostbite, the current one, unreal, unity, crytek..etc..etc..

I would even pay the equivalent of PS Plus on pc yearly subscription if I had too, so we get better support, better upgrades, up to date rosters. Once you get the core of the game right, then you can add all the extra stuff around it to satisfy a more generic audience. The hard core fans should always be your priority and when they are mostly all happy about the product, I'm all for the extra stuff to appeal to a wider specter of people, why not ?

Anyways, I'm sorry again for the rants, sarcasms, comparisons or any figurative wording but I guess the older you get the grumpier you get. But as a 27 year old loyal fan of the series. My expectations are getting higher and higher. Hopefully change will come for the benefits of us all, both sides included.
    Post edited by FSX_PinkFatLady on
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    I'd be very curious to see how many people in here wouldn't mind skipping a few years for a better end result but I must be crazy in my little universe to think that I'm the only one with that string of thoughts.

I don't want them to take time off. I want an annual game. This way we don't wait 3 or 4 years to try out the new stuff, then give feedback on it and have it acted on. I'd rather they get feedback from us year after year so it can be applied a lot quicker.
  • FSX_PinkFatLady
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Sinbin wrote: »

I don't want them to take time off. I want an annual game. This way we don't wait 3 or 4 years to try out the new stuff, then give feedback on it and have it acted on. I'd rather they get feedback from us year after year so it can be applied a lot quicker.

I understand what you mean but I would still consider taking a few years..maybe only take 1 year off if it's enough. I mean, Overhaul the game to the best you can, I don't know...then after that keep on the yearly re-renditions of it or just update what you can but definitely not at the premium price they ask.

Do you really think that there was enough done generally since 4-5 years that justifies premium price ? Be honest! I don't believe so..

For me, having a monthly/yearly sub for about 7-10$/month and be assured premium quality content, quality servers etc..would be the way to go. This could be done on both PC/Consoles.

As for PC (Yes I am an enthusiastic pc gamer) an other big advantage would be less trolls and undesirable individuals in the community. Not everybody would pay for a second subscription already having PS Plus on consoles. Yes, it limits sells but then again the sub would eventually bring back those losses but would provide a much more healthier environment and community then on consoles. At least that is a choice we could have and would surely suit anyone's needs to be quite frank.

Once every 2-3 years or maybe even 4, you can do major upgrades to the existing main features or mechanics, graphics etc and maybe charge again a normal price for a new game as a big update. Then go back to the smaller ones until the next gen or so.

I think that model could actually work well if implemented the right way, no mater the platform.

Look how successful some games have been for years, WOW, IRacing (PC) other MMO's, I mean if that model still exists today, it probably means that it's profitable no ?

I also think that internally, you could have a better distribution of resources. You would need less people = savings for EA in where you could use that extra money for infrastructure or the online sub support during the year. Then you have a selected number of resources in the meantime that could work on the bi/tri annual major upgrade on the side while the rest of the crew maintains the in-between yearly updates and what not.

Less stress for the employees, better working hours, better quality of life in/out the work place = Happy people = Better overall product at the end of the day. Win /win imo.

Just some thoughts...

Post edited by FSX_PinkFatLady on