EA Forums - Banner

Madden are FIFA are getting a beta, and NBA Live is getting a demo

RacerX56
38 posts Member
I know, I know...wait for official news before saying this kind of thing. But I have to get it off my chest.

I just find it odd how Madden and FIFA both get a beta and NBA Live is getting a demo (yes, an offline play to your heart's content traditional demo) , while the NHL game has had no news on this front.

Considering every single hands-on impressions article has had only great things to say about NHL 19, why are we being kept in the dark about this? In fact, with everyone so excited about it, don't you want to show the game off and build some kind of hype? If the game anywhere near as good as the articles claim, it could potentially sell itself and get tons of your old customers back, as well as the new users you are seeking.

I'll admit I'm not sure if this is a call made by the NHL devs or the suits, but whoever makes that call should consider throwing the fans a bone. I believe by not showcasing the game in any format, you will lose more sales than if said beta/demo wasn't quite polished enough.

Replies

• Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    FIFA's beta is trash because it's closed and only sent to special people and very few others.

This apparently is Madden's....
    "While we continue working hard to finish up Madden NFL 19, we want additional feedback to ensure that Madden NFL 19 is the best Madden we can create. So, today we mailed Madden NFL 19 Closed Beta invitations to a limited number of North American gamers. Players will explore Play Now, Franchise, and Online H2H mode in this limited time, closed test experience.

We want to provide some details on how we created the invitation list. We identified players reaching the depths of our modes in Madden NFL 18, and we looked for community builders focusing on Play Now and Franchise modes. We also invited members of the Gamechangers program and any North American players who scored points in last year’s Madden Championship series."

So both are complete trash and wouldn't get majority of you into them if you wanted. At least when NHL did do it they had it open.
  • Madden and NBA have earlier release dates. So that makes sense. FIFA is an outlier however. As it’s release date is ~1 or 2 weeks after NHLs. But it is FIFA. And a huge worldwide fan base.

I have nothing to do at work most days. So I try and stay informed. A few days ago EANHL Twitter was active and replying to people. One reply said “a beta announcement will be coming soon.”

This tweet has since been taken down. Wasn’t sure what to make of it. Either it was taken down cause it was inaccurate. Or taken down because the higher-ups felt it wasn’t the right time.
  • a demo or beta is completely irrelevant to me
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    Madden and NBA have earlier release dates. So that makes sense. FIFA is an outlier however. As it’s release date is ~1 or 2 weeks after NHLs. But it is FIFA. And a huge worldwide fan base.

I have nothing to do at work most days. So I try and stay informed. A few days ago EANHL Twitter was active and replying to people. One reply said “a beta announcement will be coming soon.”

This tweet has since been taken down. Wasn’t sure what to make of it. Either it was taken down cause it was inaccurate. Or taken down because the higher-ups felt it wasn’t the right time.

You know they could at least just say there isn't one coming but hell they must be scared of the backlash. So instead they just keep people on hold and anger them more and more each day
  • RacerX56
    38 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Madden and NBA have earlier release dates. So that makes sense. FIFA is an outlier however. As it’s release date is ~1 or 2 weeks after NHLs. But it is FIFA. And a huge worldwide fan base.

You know they could at least just say there isn't one coming but hell they must be scared of the backlash. So instead they just keep people on hold and anger them more and more each day

If that is the case, the current dev team/marketing team/whoever needs a quick history lesson from the NHL 15 pre-release debacle.

I can see it now...everyone on social media saying EA is trying to hide the game from them out of shame and they shouldn't buy the game at all this year. I remember forum members would say if EA had been honest and said EASHL wasn't in NHL 15 due to technical issues, there would have been far less backlash.

History continues to repeat itself. I really hope this isn't the case.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

Aren't you guys overreacting just a tiny bit? There's been a beta for the last 2 years. NHL has rarely ever said what's coming far in advance. They usually wait until shortly before and make an announcement. With all the positive feedback the game has received so far, it makes sense there would be a beta. People here do this all the time. The last couple of years, because it took a while to officially announce the game, there were some saying there wasn't even going to be a new game. Jeez. Calm down and give it some time.

• cogsx86
    787 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

Aren't you guys overreacting just a tiny bit? There's been a beta for the last 2 years. NHL has rarely ever said what's coming far in advance. They usually wait until shortly before and make an announcement. With all the positive feedback the game has received so far, it makes sense there would be a beta. People here do this all the time. The last couple of years, because it took a while to officially announce the game, there were some saying there wasn't even going to be a new game. Jeez. Calm down and give it some time.

I hope your right, normally we get the beta, at the end of July, fingers crossed
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • just want here peoples opinion about not releasing beta test for NHL19? how u feel about it and will it effect your choice of buying NHL19? I have been playing it since like 20+ years now and lately the game hasn't improved or changed that much at all if u ask me. To me its kind a giving me a feel that the game developers are promising us the moon from the sky but the game is still the same as last 3-4 years. I personally tested NHL18 beta and decided not to buy it couse it felt so much the same. Now if they announce not to give us beta test on NHL19 for some reason will u buy it or wait for a while and hear other people opinion about it after the release?

Just have heard lot of old players have skipped NHL18 after beta test that did EA see this as a problem and not going to give us BETA that reason alone.
  • I don’t need the beta and have already preordered the game. Oh the suspense is killing me.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    henkka86 wrote: »
    just want here peoples opinion about not releasing beta test for NHL19? how u feel about it and will it effect your choice of buying NHL19? I have been playing it since like 20+ years now and lately the game hasn't improved or changed that much at all if u ask me. To me its kind a giving me a feel that the game developers are promising us the moon from the sky but the game is still the same as last 3-4 years. I personally tested NHL18 beta and decided not to buy it couse it felt so much the same. Now if they announce not to give us beta test on NHL19 for some reason will u buy it or wait for a while and hear other people opinion about it after the release?

Just have heard lot of old players have skipped NHL18 after beta test that did EA see this as a problem and not going to give us BETA that reason alone.

I've merged your topic with this conversation as it's on the same topic. We don't have any official information on this however looking back at the previous iterations of the game I'm wouldn't be too worried about it. The last three NHLs had open betas, which all took place at the end of July/ beginning of August and were announced late enough.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »
    henkka86 wrote: »
    just want here peoples opinion about not releasing beta test for NHL19? how u feel about it and will it effect your choice of buying NHL19? I have been playing it since like 20+ years now and lately the game hasn't improved or changed that much at all if u ask me. To me its kind a giving me a feel that the game developers are promising us the moon from the sky but the game is still the same as last 3-4 years. I personally tested NHL18 beta and decided not to buy it couse it felt so much the same. Now if they announce not to give us beta test on NHL19 for some reason will u buy it or wait for a while and hear other people opinion about it after the release?

I've merged your topic with this conversation as it's on the same topic. We don't have any official information on this however looking back at the previous iterations of the game I'm wouldn't be too worried about it. The last three NHLs had open betas, which all took place at the end of July/ beginning of August and were announced late enough.

that is true. but i saw later content of this discussion of someone asking that will the NHL19 have Beta test this year.. Answer was maybe or maybe not and after that the topic was closed.