EA Forums - Banner

New skating trailer

2Next

Replies

• Wow, this might actually get me playing NHL on a daily basis again. IF the frustration of controlling your player is gone, ill be over the moon.
  • Socair wrote: »
    Could a GC comment on this part of the article?

With or Without the Puck

Skating when you don’t have the puck is just as important as driving the play when you do, which is why you’ll notice four different stick positions that build upon the authentic skating experience at all ends of the ice. Each stick variation is impacted by multiple motions such as tight carve turns, stops, cycles, crossovers, exits, and starts, applicable in all directions. In combination with skating styles, there are limitless possibilities to unlock each player’s potential in NHL 19, all thanks to the power of RPM.

So these stick variations part of the various skating animations I would assume, something input specific when skating without the puck. Does that give the feel of more responsiveness when trying to pressure the puck carrier or keeping up with them on the rush?

I'm really curious about this as well. One position will obviously be two hands on the stick, blade on the ice. In the original trailer, on the shot of Kane going up the ice with the puck and one hand on his stick (that looks so cool), the Canuck player behind him is turning, with one hand on his stick, and pointing out to the side, so that's another one. There's a clip in this video of a player pivoting and putting his stick out to lead, maybe that's the third, or the same position again, with a different animation to transition it?

All I know is this new engine makes me excited for an NHL game again. I'm worried, given the track record of new features in this series, but it looks promising, and if it's at least as responsive as the current engine, it's hard to see this being a step back. Kudos to the devs for now for at least trying to tackle the biggest issue in the game. Hopefully, you were successful.
  • COGSx86
    785 posts Member
    Looks exciting. But it would be nice to see some gameplay instead of these 3 second trailer clips of the skating.

You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Follisimo
    1071 posts Member
    There is an NHL 19 area now and it has the trailer there.

• EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    Merged threads into the NHL 19 section.
  • kezz123
    609 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Wish there were actual gameplay footage. I know I know...I sound ungrateful. But actual game play footage is always > cinematic

I understand that you want to see it from a Gameplay camera angle but want to make it clear that all footage other than that from the technical test bed is all from Gameplay (just from unique replay camera angles). Even the test bed footage is 1:1 with how the game responds and plays in game, it is just in the skating test bed rather than core game.

Did you guys ever iron out, reproduced or test this skating with fatmanlag?
  • I hope blowing an edge makes a return with the new skating. Never understood why it was taken out. Since it being taking out it’s never been easier to rag the puck and continuously skate circle in the corners.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    I hope blowing an edge makes a return with the new skating. Never understood why it was taken out. Since it being taking out it’s never been easier to rag the puck and continuously skate circle in the corners.

True. Especially for lower rated players.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    I hope blowing an edge makes a return with the new skating. Never understood why it was taken out. Since it being taking out it’s never been easier to rag the puck and continuously skate circle in the corners.

I feel like anyone asking for this never played a laggy game when it was around. My guy would fall over 4-5 times a game and im not even a figure skater.
  • kezz123
    609 posts Member
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

im not sold on that feature unless its a real solid implementation. First off, if it happens to easily or frequently, it turns the game into a joke timbit style hockey. Nobody in the NHL blows an edge almost ever....it would be that windmill blocker save all over again where you see it once a month in the NHL and 20 times a game in EA NHL.

Then there is a factor that it makes skating that much more of a battle with the controller. Mix fatmanlag to this and you have a recipe for faillure.

on the flip side, nobody in the NHL does figure skating with the puck for ages because defense will strip it every time. So its uncool when this happens in this game. To me, the solution is pretty obvious, make defense decent.

Hopefully the new skating engine helps defense have better ability to stop the figure skaters by not feeling like a titanic trying to do a u turn all the time. So the issue may not even be one in the next NHL.

• Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    Socair wrote: »
    Could a GC comment on this part of the article?

With or Without the Puck

Skating when you don’t have the puck is just as important as driving the play when you do, which is why you’ll notice four different stick positions that build upon the authentic skating experience at all ends of the ice. Each stick variation is impacted by multiple motions such as tight carve turns, stops, cycles, crossovers, exits, and starts, applicable in all directions. In combination with skating styles, there are limitless possibilities to unlock each player’s potential in NHL 19, all thanks to the power of RPM.

So these stick variations part of the various skating animations I would assume, something input specific when skating without the puck. Does that give the feel of more responsiveness when trying to pressure the puck carrier or keeping up with them on the rush?

At the time when we played, I don’t believe this was implemented yet or I wasn’t observant enough to make a comment on it.

I am back in Vancouver this week and I will definitely keep my eyes open for this so I can give you a proper response!

Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    Nobody in the NHL blows an edge almost ever...
    You've clearly never seen Bobby Ryan play. Guy blows a tire 3-4 times a game.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    Nobody in the NHL blows an edge almost ever...
    You've clearly never seen Bobby Ryan play. Guy blows a tire 3-4 times a game.

PK blows a few tires here and there. Usually when he decides that he will become "the game changer".