EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Still waiting on info for offline modes? Thats a buy or don't buy decision

Prev1
I enjoy NHL games for offline modes, i don't like playing against glitch goals or puck raggers but i'm sorry when a company says only people play this game online i know thats a lie, we have franchise players and BAP players and i feel like we get overlooked every year i have seen dozens of ideas thrown around that could have been incorporated into this years game.... but instead we get pond hockey which i'm disappointed because i don't care about 1v1v1, ya it's great they added a scouting system one extra option for a long overdue mode that needs some love. Here are some things that i wish EA would do:

1. Have everyone participate in a survey thru the game i have never been asked to take a survey.

2. Focus on all game modes online and offline

3. Treat all customers equally i honestly feel like offline players are overlooked and EA caters to online players way more. ( game changers, streamers, and you tubers too much )

4. Release the ghost survey results i'm want to know exact numbers of offline and online players to see if EA is accurate about saying 99.9 % of players are online.

Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

TN: Snipers USA

GT: King Loves23

Replies

• Botztu
    4 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    I agree. I got sick of the frustration of online play, some years ago.

To say offline players aren't worth the time to put in decent offline modes; or that we're not
    true fans of the game is ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoy the strategy of the Franchise and Be a pro
    modes I'm confident to say that I can't be the only one, or EA wouldn't include those modes.

I know online play is huge with a lot of fans worldwide. A lot of them really enjoy the offline games as well,and deserve to get their money's worth, just as the person who opts to jump into online play.
    Post edited by Botztu on
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2385 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    lovell2305 wrote: »
    2. Focus on all game modes online and offline

3. Treat all customers equally i honestly feel like offline players are overlooked and EA caters to online players way more. ( game changers, streamers, and you tubers too much )

Prior to getting a new console I was an offline player first and can tell you single player has gotten just as much love as online the last couple years.

- Arena creator
    - Jersey creator
    - complete Franchise overhaul
    - Be an Owner (control finances etc)
    - Relocation, Expansion
    - HUT offline challenges, DC, seasons etc...
    - WCoH
    - NHL 3s

Now they're adding an overhauled scouting system, adding hundreds of legends to offline modes, and unless I'm mistaken there will be 40 offline challenges you could complete in the pond hockey circuit.

Yeah BaP got the shaft again, sorry.

These 900 items and pond hockey are simply skins and dont really change the online experience.

This whole years development cycle looks like it went 100% into the new skating engine which will directly affect both online and offline modes.
  • 3's is cartoony and the 900 items are strictly for online modes i'm not gonna play a game online when thats all people do is puck rag and glitch goal which i still haven't heard how there gonna fix that. Once again not fixing stuff that has been in the game for years
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

• I get your frustration, but in my opinion they spend too much time already in 2018 working on offline modes.

Yah playing glitch players online can be frustrating, but I didn't have nearly as much frustration last gen when I felt like I was actually in control of my team. Gameplay needs an overhaul and hopefully they have finally addressed it because they've had more than enough time to do so.

Last gen and this gen, I literally do not lose to the computer and get no satisfaction from playing the CPU. I think in this day and age the dev's should be focussed on online modes, especially modes like GM Connected.

You already have a boat load of offline game modes in comparison to online modes. The dev team clearly felt offline modes were more crucial than online modes, so I'm not sure where you're even coming from here. If online were properly addressed, maybe you would feel more comfortable jumping back into that world and not feel like the game is constantly out of your control.
  • lovell2305 wrote: »
    3's is cartoony and the 900 items are strictly for online modes i'm not gonna play a game online when thats all people do is puck rag and glitch goal which i still haven't heard how there gonna fix that. Once again not fixing stuff that has been in the game for years

Online is a competitive arena where someone will always find an exploit and use it to win. It's how sports titles will and always will be.
  • lovell2305 wrote: »
    3's is cartoony and the 900 items are strictly for online modes i'm not gonna play a game online when thats all people do is puck rag and glitch goal which i still haven't heard how there gonna fix that. Once again not fixing stuff that has been in the game for years

Online is a competitive arena where someone will always find an exploit and use it to win. It's how sports titles will and always will be.

With the technology we have now a days EA should know about exploits and fix them they have been going on for 4+ years or at least give players permanent bans that will weed out the exploiters real quick
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

• I get your frustration, but in my opinion they spend too much time already in 2018 working on offline modes.

Yah playing glitch players online can be frustrating, but I didn't have nearly as much frustration last gen when I felt like I was actually in control of my team. Gameplay needs an overhaul and hopefully they have finally addressed it because they've had more than enough time to do so.

Last gen and this gen, I literally do not lose to the computer and get no satisfaction from playing the CPU. I think in this day and age the dev's should be focussed on online modes, especially modes like GM Connected.

You already have a boat load of offline game modes in comparison to online modes. The dev team clearly felt offline modes were more crucial than online modes, so I'm not sure where you're even coming from here. If online were properly addressed, maybe you would feel more comfortable jumping back into that world and not feel like the game is constantly out of your control.

Honestly it feels like a select few get to send feedback and our actually listened too which is frustrating, i would love in option in the game where you could send feedback, there are offline modes i agree, 90% are outdated i mean BAP you can ask for a trade thats it so in order for me to experience creating a player and enjoying it i have to play against other players who exploit the game which therefore takes the fun away it's a double negative but like EA has stated people don't play offline modes anymore so there going a different direction i understand. Maybe street hockey for NHL 20
    Detroit, MI GO WINGS

X1

• Just wai

With the technology we have now a days EA should know about exploits and fix them they have been going on for 4+ years or at least give players permanent bans that will weed out the exploiters real quick

They aren't cheating though. Now if they found a way to use 99 overall characters/desync method now that would be cheating. Learning the mechanics of the game simply isn't cheating just because you deem them not legit. The one year they fixed the short side shot... guess what became easy to score on? The far side shot. AI is meant to be average at best also. When you play people online they aren't even playing on the hardest difficulty either.

I've played FIFA for a good 4 to 5yrs now. There is literally the most basic move in the game that can be used to make the AI look stupid. It won't ever get fixed either because they deem it stoppable if you play the person man to man.
  • Sinbin
    1309 posts Member

That's like saying nothing should be hacked or exploited because of today's technology. The sad truth is that people will always fine a way to cheat the system. No matter how good technology is, it's never going to be so perfect it's impossible to exploit something.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

That's like saying nothing should be hacked or exploited because of today's technology. The sad truth is that people will always fine a way to cheat the system. No matter how good technology is, it's never going to be so perfect it's impossible to exploit something.

But lovell is saying the glitches everyone knows exists should have had work done to resolve them a long time ago. The issue he brings up is that these same glitches have been in the game far too long.

Of course, as things are changed, new glitches will arise. But if old glitches are fixed, it wont look as bad for the dev team in the customer's eyes when other glitches arise.

If the EA team were just actively fixing glitches, I don't think it would really be an issue. When they haven't taken the time to fix simple things years after they were discovered, that feels a bit like a slap in the face.

I also don't agree that we will never have the ability to prevent glitches and exploits with tech. EA getting there is another thing though.

I think the fans just want EA to make an effort. And I'm not talking about "cheese" goals for the most part as I feel they can be defended if you're actually any good (at least on last gen), but game breaking glitches that remain in the game year after year is frustrating.
  • Sinbin
    1309 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

If the EA team were just actively fixing glitches, I don't think it would really be an issue. When they haven't taken the time to fix simple things years after they were discovered, that feels a bit like a slap in the face.

I also don't agree that we will never have the ability to prevent glitches and exploits with tech. EA getting there is another thing though.

I think the fans just want EA to make an effort. And I'm not talking about "cheese" goals for the most part as I feel they can be defended if you're actually any good (at least on last gen), but game breaking glitches that remain in the game year after year is frustrating.

If it were that simple they'd be fixed. Whenever someone says it's simple to fix, you know immediately they have no development experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't just make a judgement that you believe is true when you don't have the real world experience and education to know that.

What game breaking glitches remain from previous games?

If you don't think there's any effort, you're not playing the game or not paying attention. Look at all the work that went in to 18. Yeah, maybe you didn't like Threes. That's fine, but to say no effort or work was made is just flat out incorrect. Those new dekes and the defensive skill stick... that stuff doesn't materialize over night. It's a very long process of motion capture, animating, coding, testing, balancing with those last few repeated over and over and over again. It always drives me crazy when people say there is no effort. I don't know what it is you do, but would you want someone that didn't know your job saying you make no effort and you don't care about your work?

I too want to know what game breaking glitches there are. I can play my game just fine. Are their frustrations from time to time? Sure but nothing game breaking.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • Sinbin
    1309 posts Member

I too want to know what game breaking glitches there are. I can play my game just fine. Are their frustrations from time to time? Sure but nothing game breaking.

Exactly. This game is not broken. Yeah, it has it's issues for sure and can be downright infuriating at times, but I haven't seen any glitches that make it unplayable and broken.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2385 posts Member
    edited July 2018

Exactly. This game is not broken. Yeah, it has it's issues for sure and can be downright infuriating at times, but I haven't seen any glitches that make it unplayable and broken.

People tend to exaggerate when they're angry.

I've played about 35 dropin games and only one did the loop back to the 17 minute mark. Besides that game, every game played well.

There were the occasional omg moments but at no point did I say "that guy is a God dang glitcher" or call anyone an exploiter.

Edited swear filter effect
    Post edited by Socair on

If it were that simple they'd be fixed. Whenever someone says it's simple to fix, you know immediately they have no development experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't just make a judgement that you believe is true when you don't have the real world experience and education to know that.

If you don't think there's any effort, you're not playing the game or not paying attention. Look at all the work that went in to 18. Yeah, maybe you didn't like Threes. That's fine, but to say no effort or work was made is just flat out incorrect. Those new dekes and the defensive skill stick... that stuff doesn't materialize over night. It's a very long process of motion capture, animating, coding, testing, balancing with those last few repeated over and over and over again. It always drives me crazy when people say there is no effort. I don't know what it is you do, but would you want someone that didn't know your job saying you make no effort and you don't care about your work?

Oddly enough, I am actually a software developer, guys!

In response to the game breaking glitches, I should have been more clear, although I did try to make clear that I was not referring to "glitch goals" or anything like that, as I feel like if you are good at the game you are able to defend against whatever potential exploits your opponent is trying. I felt like 2014 was the last time that the game was not infuriating to play because you felt in control of your players for the most part.

I did not buy NHL 18 as I have mentioned in my other posts. My experience comes from years of the EA NHL series when I was actually still playing the series consistently. I do own 2017, but rarely played it as I felt it was a very poor representation of our sport and the final straw for myself... And before you try to defend EA further and say that I probably have never played real hockey, I actually played competitively into my 20's so I do feel like it is my place to make that statement.

One glitch that was especially frustrating off the top of my head was where an opponent with a superior team (usually in HUT) was able to win faceoffs with their superstar centres repeatedly when they were losing the game. They would then skate back and shoot the puck over the glass from within their end. They did this repeatedly until the game glitches out and freezes. As a result the game does not count. This glitch was clearly in the game for a number of years and well documented on these forums, so it's hard to not feel like that was a slap in the face because that is an example of something that should have been easily removed from the game, even in a patch, and again, it is my place to make that statement because I am a software developer, and I am assuming most of you are not.

I just want a game that represents our sport better with a feeling of control. As an example, something where if you believe you're good at the game, you'd feel comfortable putting a monetary wager on your ability and not feel like the game is out of your control like it has since the start of this generation.

If NHL is going to seriously jump into the world of e-sports, a lot has to be done, and I'm not sure what game you're playing if you do not agree with that statement. Watching Gary Bettman hand that $50k cheque to the best puck hog exploiter was cringe worthy IMO. That was not hockey, guys.
  • monz
    772 posts Member
    There were some bad glitches with menus as well. For example in hut when buy/selling cards on the auction house and recieving an error code. Spent hours disconnecting and power cycling everything in my home(at the behest of ea support) until finally speaking with an agent who had a clue. Told me it was a "stuck pucks" issue, advised he had to just remove my puck balance and return it to fix the issue. This happpened to me multiple times this year, finding a support rep to help with the issue was difficult. Always having to go through power cycling procedures, even after citing previous fixing by other reps was mind numbing. But ultimately the things that have grinded my gears for years are not having some of the actul rules in place. For one if a puck is sent up the boards and a defenseman pinches and makes a play for it, that negates an icing. Also a goalie making any attempt to play a puck whatsoever negates an icing. Thirdly any player slowing down or not maintaining constant speed while chasing a puck. Allowing a puck that was retrievable to go for an icing, this negats an icing and should be waived off immediately. These sould have been in the game ages ago!
  • Santini3
    473 posts Member
    I'm curious to know which glitch goals these offline players are so scared of. Puck ragging is one thing and i agree that it needs to be looked at... but glitch goals? Which ones? High percentage wristers?
  • BAP Upgrades:

1. Simming - quicker attribute gains, not 2pt increases per sim year. Franchise player 40-45 urs old....dumb...
    2. Draft - at least give the draft board, who else is ranked, more visibility into prospects, team drafting positions (draft board) with picks one at a time or sim one at a time. Your player should not be #1 every draft. Agent being more accurate : not all year long saying 1st rd, or between positions but last report is top 5 then number 1...logic is messed up
    3. Contracts: at least more than 2 teams wanting you, only 2 teams every time is lame.
    4. Give list of teams to accept trade or want to sign u.
    5. Upon retiring bring up a career page with career stats, trophys, stanley cups won, all time scoring rank not just bap has ended...
  • Sinbin
    1309 posts Member

One glitch that was especially frustrating off the top of my head was where an opponent with a superior team (usually in HUT) was able to win faceoffs with their superstar centres repeatedly when they were losing the game. They would then skate back and shoot the puck over the glass from within their end. They did this repeatedly until the game glitches out and freezes. As a result the game does not count. This glitch was clearly in the game for a number of years and well documented on these forums, so it's hard to not feel like that was a slap in the face because that is an example of something that should have been easily removed from the game, even in a patch, and again, it is my place to make that statement because I am a software developer, and I am assuming most of you are not.

This was fixed for 18. There was a different method found this year, but that was removed in February.