EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Don’t do penalty shots for penalties in 3s for 19 (now 20)

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
587 posts Member
edited June 17
I believe replacing penalties for penalty shots in 3s ruined the mode. Majority of time, it’s a goal because players do the same chese move over and over again.
Post edited by EpiCxOwNeD on

Replies

• Disagree. Penalties forces a bot onto the ice. Don’t take the penalty in the first place.

If anything, make the person who took the penalty play as the goalie, that way you eliminate even more bot interference, and reward people for learning how to play goalie.
  • No doubt about not taking penalties. But sometimes, they do happen. Either from human controlled players or Ai (if one of us lag out).

Playing goalie especially on breakaways or penalty shots are extremely difficult for me. I do my best to follow where the player is going to go on the penalty shot, but even when I thought I would be in good postion, I still get scored on.
  • Follisimo
    746 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    If no penalty shots then it needs to be 3v2 then 3v1. But I prefer it how it is now because with less on the ice it still makes it easier to rag the puck anyways and no one wants those type of people playing.
  • Socair
    1820 posts Game Changer
    I primarily play 3s/4s (west based, 6s are next to impossible to play unless we search east, which isn’t something we want to do) and I hate the penalty shots. Not because we take a lot of penalties. Because every team that’s decent just baits for stick infractions and it ruins the fun. Couple that style with bad connections and it’s just a very frustrating experience...what would be a clean poke either misses or trips.

I’ll take the bot for the PP. We’d just dump the puck over the glass once the PP was up to get it off the ice. Don’t lose assists, get to unlock the spotlights for your arena and get to set up some different plays.

Oh and if you play 2s, everyone goes after the AI if a penalty is taken on a human initially. So the AI gets the penalty shot.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • I strongly disagree. Penalty shots in 3s made it more fun IMO. It punished you for taking dumb penalties and if you queue will a full 3s game, it takes all the fun away when you have a compy on the ice. PLEASE EA, keep the PS in 3s
  • Santini3
    473 posts Member
    I strongly disagree. Penalty shots in 3s made it more fun IMO. It punished you for taking dumb penalties and if you queue will a full 3s game, it takes all the fun away when you have a compy on the ice. PLEASE EA, keep the PS in 3s

Penalty shots do not make it more fun... only for the fact that the cheesy "hold the puck to my backhand " the whole way and somehow shoot it forehand" works 100% of the time against AI goalies. Either fix that glitch or make the human player who took the penalty control the goalie.
  • Santini3 wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. Penalty shots in 3s made it more fun IMO. It punished you for taking dumb penalties and if you queue will a full 3s game, it takes all the fun away when you have a compy on the ice. PLEASE EA, keep the PS in 3s

Penalty shots do not make it more fun... only for the fact that the cheesy "hold the puck to my backhand " the whole way and somehow shoot it forehand" works 100% of the time against AI goalies. Either fix that glitch or make the human player who took the penalty control the goalie.

Wouldn't work. Remember when goalies who got pulled could play as skaters with the extra attacker? Well what happened was it erased the goalie stats and caused league problems. What you suggest is basically the same problem. Also doesn't work if you are playing 4's
  • stew514
    2 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    3s was unbearable before they made the change, penalties slowed the game down and if you're any good at moving the puck with your teammates the extra computer player is actually a detriment. On top of that, AI defenders are typically better than humans at intercepting passes, picking up loose pucks, and sending long saucer passes for breakaways.

I agree with the poster that suggested the guy who took the penalty controls the goalie, that should help prevent the cheese goals.
  • Santini3
    473 posts Member
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Santini3 wrote: »

Wouldn't work. Remember when goalies who got pulled could play as skaters with the extra attacker? Well what happened was it erased the goalie stats and caused league problems. What you suggest is basically the same problem. Also doesn't work if you are playing 4's

They could .. you know.. fix that issue. 3s is a great way to play but the constant penalty shots against AI goalies with a near 100% success rate kinda takes a lot away from the mode. Imo
  • It’s almost that time of year again where the next NHL game gets unveiled at the NHL Awards.

So please, again, can we not have penalty shots in place of penalty in 3s? It single handily ruins the mode knowing every time you get a penalty, it results in a goal.

It’s terrible when you play a team and they score majority if not all their goals on a penalty shot by using the same move time and time again.

I get, don’t take penalties. But things happen ya know?
  • Completely agree. Especially when AI can take penalties and especially when you draw a penalty, and you have an AI, players will go after the AI to make him take the shot. I'm sure if they allowed the person that took the penalty to be the goalie, players would find even more ways to cheese through a game.
  • p0tentZ
    13 posts Member
    edited June 18
    I fully agree to remove the penalty shots in 3's, except for if you are hauled down on a breakaway. It's way too easy to exploit the goalies which makes penalties far too costly. I think a penalty should result in a 3vs2 for 1 min. If another penalty occurs on the 3vs2 it should go down the 3vs1. Even being down 3vs1, you could win the draw back to the boards, get the puck and shoot it around the boards, giving you a chance to kill some time. Any penalty that occurs on a 3vs1 would result in a penalty shot. That would be fun as hell in my opinion.
    Post edited by p0tentZ on
  • Keep penalty shots in.
  • zingaa1
    400 posts Member
    I say keep them in,, stop taking penalties....problem solved
  • Take a penalty play 3 on 2.
    If already down a man then penalty shot.

This is how it should have been done.
  • zingaa1
    400 posts Member
    What they should do is eliminate human goalies in dropin 3's, it was that way in 18, as soon as a human goalie enters the lobby regardless of ranking everyone scatters.
  • My biggest gripe is the AI getting terrible penalties again - it should only be human error that causes a penalty to occur.

Humans should be allowed to rely on the computer to do a pitifully small amount of the work too; we shouldn't have to worry every single time they go near someone.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    Take a penalty play 3 on 2.

Absolutely yes.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    587 posts Member
    edited June 25
    Follisimo wrote: »
    Take a penalty play 3 on 2.

Fantastic idea. Penalty shots for 3s has been in the game for almost two years. You think they would have come to this by now. Main reason why I despise 3s. It makes the game very boring.
  • Should be 1 minute penalties, 3-2, then 3-1.