EA Forums - Banner

Why this game is good

Prev1
SGDragonSlayerYT
133 posts Member
edited July 2018
Apparently it's cool and hip to hate on the game now. If you actually like the game and calmly discuss your insightful views, you're wrong and the entire community flames you i guess. The EANHL games are good, a lot of people are just looking at ALL the negatives and zero positives about the game. It's usually about "glitch" goals or whatever tf it is, penalties, ragging the puck and DDOSing or whatever the HUT kiddies are complaining about now. Yeah I'll agree, there are a few annoying bugs in the game that I would like to be fixed, but I'm not arrogant and demanding about it.

"Glitch" goals aren't even glitch goals, I don't see what part of it could even be considered a "glitch." The usual response is something along the lines of "I played awful defense, gave him a great shot at scoring, and he scored!" A glitch, by definition, is "a sudden, usually temporary malfunction or irregularity of equipment." So this cheese goal from the hashmarks is that? But, but wait, you guys say it happens every game. So that must mean *gasp* it's not a glitch. Yeah it's annoying to get scored on like that, but it's so easy to defend. Literally all you have to do is have a defenseman in the slot covering the one-t, and apply pressure to the attacker and force him to the point, that freaking easy. Also, I bet half of you didn't know that you can set your strategies in HUT and Versus to *GASP* actually let the AI know what you want to do.

On the topic of AI, yeah they can be dumb sometimes, but if you haven't noticed, the AI plays around YOU. A common complaint is AI going to the bench as you pass it to them. Firstly, every piece of evidence I've seen of this, the AI gets on the bench before the person passes the puck. How is the AI/game supposed you wanna pass to them if you haven't even passed it? Also, If you play BAP, really at all, it takes you two seconds to realize the AI will pass it to you 9/10 times if you're actually open. If you move around in your zone like a bumblebee, your AI teammates move around to try and cover you. It's not their fault you're controlling the winger in your own corner.

Features in this game, ah yes. Literally yesterday, someone replied to a comment I made saying "Haha they’re adding in things they took away but making them worse somehow. That’s what people wanted sure! Don’t give me that sass. think before you comment" He was basically saying he wanted old features put but in, but now he's mad that old features are being put back in the game. People saying "nobody even asked for this gamemode why is it here ughhhhh EA," are kinda right,. I never saw anyone recommend NHL 3s or NHL 1s, but they're still cool if you look at them with open minds. You also have to remember, EA needs a selling point for this game. As much as you wanna call them moneygrabs with HUT and stuff, you need to remember that they are trying to make a profit on the game, meaning those gimmicky gamemodes do actually help them yknow, put more stuff into the game. Last year, 3s was the selling point. I don't have any proof, but I bet the sales from NHL 17 to NHL 18 went up based on 3s play alone. You have to remember the game isn't just meant for all of you sweaty tryhards who spend money on HUT, but rather for the guys who play on the couch offline with their buddies, and there's nothing wrong with that, we were all there at some point. Basically what I'm saying is, EA needs a fresh new thing to advertise NHL 19 for. I've explained this to people and they respond with something like "Hurr Durr why don't they advertise the features they 'tried' to fix but they didn't because they're moneygrabbers FREAKING EA GLITCH GOAL CHEESE." Well imagine you're a new consumer for NHL 19. Average hockey fan, never played the game before. If you see that the main selling point is fixing bugs in the game, it would drive you away wouldn't it? That does the opposite of what EA needs.

Penalties I can only see an argument for tripping. Stick Lifts you NEVER get penalties for if you use your noggin and only do it at the right times. Trippings can be weird and inconsistent, but just don't poke as much and you'll be fine. Sure you'll still get penalties but cmon, you expect anyone to believe you've never actually deserved a tripping call? Also, the people who complain about penalties are the same people complaining about poke check spammers. It's pretty much those players saying "Penalties are basically a given in this game except I'm not gonna mention how many penalties poke check spammers get because I want to trash this game without facts." Like seriously, grow up

Lastly, the complaints about puck raggers are pretty valid, but I mean there's no easy fix to it. Also, I don't get why people complain about how protecting the puck is OP and how all you have to do is pull the RS back and you're invincible. Legit all you have to do is nudge the guy and he'll lose it. Out of everything mentioned, this is the easiest to defend against. Cmon now guys, can't let the game do the work for you. If they somehow removed it, the community would be mad at the lack of puck protection.

Oh and Icetilt doesn't exist

TLDR; get better at the game.

Edited for profanity
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    This game definitely isnt as bad as the forum makes it. It does have its annoyances (puck pickups, sometimes wonky TPS, fat man lag) but overall when the game is playing well and you're playing with a good group, the game is very enjoyable.
  • This game definitely isnt as bad as the forum makes it. It does have its annoyances (puck pickups, sometimes wonky TPS, fat man lag) but overall when the game is playing well and you're playing with a good group, the game is very enjoyable.

    The game can be enjoyable. But then you lose a game 2-0 on two goals that go through your goalie’s pad in what was a great defensive battle.

    6s has never been worse or less consistent than The X1/PS4 era games. 18’s DSS without the ability to skate has actually made the game a complete snore-fest.

    Still optimistic about 19 though. I’m usually a defensemen online and the new skating/physics should make both sides of the puck more enjoyable. Hopefully goalies got some love too, because goals literally through the pads can’t be an every-other game occurrence in a consistently fun hockey game.
  • 18’s DSS without the ability to skate has actually made the game a complete snore-fest.
    A complete snore fest because you cant go end to end anymore without having the puck knocked loose or a snore fest because D finally have a weapon to combat the OP skill stick and now you're forced to actually pass?

    I've only flayed 25 dropin games since getting my new console and you can tell almost instantly whether a player is good because they know how to avoid the DSS.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    The game isn't bad, but it isn't good either. There are too many problems that have piled on over the years and still aren't addressed properly (even though NHL on next-gen was "rebuilt from the ground up").

    Too much automation that takes away user control, which lead to very contrived instances in the game. Skating is a mess. AI is so bad it needs to read the user's inputs to even keep up.

    NHL 18 is what it is. Let's hope NHL 19 is better...
  • let's not overestimate the "power of DSS"... it could have been great but it's like a really weak version of what it should have been and sometimes causes more harm than good. I think it ended up having only a small impact in the game.

    one of the best things they could ever do would be to stop using the stupid "hit stick" and let collisions be based on physics freeing up the right stick to just be DSS all the time and turn the poke check button back the way it was, same with puck chop/slap and hipchecks.
  • nickels55
    177 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    To me a good game is one where skill beats random luck. I've played this game enough to know that sometimes great players lose to good players because the AI covers up for the skill gap. Also, there are cheese goals. It is not easy to defend a player that has one move down and simply tries it over and over all game. You skate like a mac truck on ice, so it isn't always possible to defend one set play 1,000 times a game successfully. The one time you are not in the perfect spot the puck is in the net. This game is OK at best, but way behind where it SHOULD be in 2018. It simply hasn't evolved or changed enough since moving from past gen systems.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Yea, it isn't a bad game. But, by far, it is not great or exciting. When playing 6 vs 6, I admit those weird goals are annoying. Pucks through pads and other goalie parts, horrible AI that is mostly a nuisance than anything else, the ease of trolling, horrible coach feedback, boring presentation, atrocious skating ....

    And as some have stated, the DSS is slightly OP due to the horrible skating, but let's be honest here. It kind of evens out when you consider how OP dekes are, the RS puck protect, and horrible collision when it comes to checking players.

    I would be fine toning down the effectiveness of the DSS if checking actually works and if the RPM engine works as advertised. The goal of the game here should be promoting team play. I think the end-to-end danglers have had their time.
  • Been playing NHL since '91. NHL 18 has to be the worst out of all of them.
  • kezz123
    624 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    most people just dont bother with this game anymore because it is mediocre. Is it abysmal? No. Does it have great potential? yes. Is it good or even worth playing? not really for a lot of people.

    Its basically McDonald redoing the Bigmac recipe and making it bland. People who used to love it will hate it. New people may not be that excited about it, certainly not enough to boost or even prevent a loss of sales and then there are people like you who still could eat it 3 times a day and not understand others.

    There are no conspiracies...nobody is trying to be cool by complaining about this game. Its bad and people voice it. Its as simple as that.

    I like that your TL:DR is "git gud" or a variance of it by the way. Tons of the people complaining about this game are top teams of current or past gen who you likely should be looking up to. So again, invalid theory. I think you just need to mature a bit so that you can better understand the world around you.
  • kezz123 wrote: »
    I think you just need to mature a bit so that you can better understand the world around you.

    Bro it's a hockey game thread
  • I don’t play other games but I’m sure every game has some kind of issue. Nhl is my game and yea I encounter things from time to time I don’t like but cmon the hours I’ve spent playing nhl for sure out weigh the issues. I’ve had my share of negative post in the past about the nhl series even getting banned. But what I see a lot of around here is the same people saying this and that and claiming to be done with ea nhl for good. Then the new games come out and guess what ? They bought it again and are playing it. Ea if so bad wouldn’t be the only nhl game available if it was that bad. With my knowledge of ea helping the handicapped people play there games is enough for me to continue to support them. Thanks ea for another great nhl game. Can’t wait for nhl 19!!!
  • This game definitely isnt as bad as the forum makes it. It does have its annoyances (puck pickups, sometimes wonky TPS, fat man lag) but overall when the game is playing well and you're playing with a good group, the game is very enjoyable.

    EXACTLY my point. There's no denying that there are bugs and some hiccups that can be annoying sometimes, but overall the game runs as it should usually. I explained the game's bugs to someone on reddit and they responded with something along the lines of "This game is trash, just look at Fortnite, fortnite has no bugs are glitches in it." They fail to realize that an open world shooter and a hockey game are two different things. Also, I'd bet that the fortnite dev team has a bigger fund for the game than EANHL, because it's pretty obvious that Madden and FIFA are EA's money sources so NHL takes a backseat. The shear amount of kids buying V-bucks to be cool I bet it enough to propel fortnite above NHL for development reasons.
  • This is the only game I've ever played that has digress. It's gotten worse with each new version coming out. If one or two people are complaining about this game I could see your "Pro EA" rant, but the chorus is overwhelming, not here it is since not everyone comes on this forum. You need to go on social media when EA promotes their latest HUT garbage, look at the comment sections. It is undeniable the issues that plague this game. If you did a pro/con comparison of this game, it would be downright jaw dropping to see how bad this game is. What is more shocking, is that anyone who has put this product on the market still has a job. Perhaps EA's expectation for this series is very low. As for the rant from the OP, you can "cherry pick" your argument to support this game, it is very easy to pick apart each of your talking points, too easy if you ask me.
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    This is the only game I've ever played that has digress. It's gotten worse with each new version coming out. If one or two people are complaining about this game I could see your "Pro EA" rant, but the chorus is overwhelming, not here it is since not everyone comes on this forum. You need to go on social media when EA promotes their latest HUT garbage, look at the comment sections. It is undeniable the issues that plague this game. If you did a pro/con comparison of this game, it would be downright jaw dropping to see how bad this game is. What is more shocking, is that anyone who has put this product on the market still has a job. Perhaps EA's expectation for this series is very low. As for the rant from the OP, you can "cherry pick" your argument to support this game, it is very easy to pick apart each of your talking points, too easy if you ask me.

    Comment sections are filled with people who "hate" the game because they eat a few losses online and can't take it.

    The perceived "digression" of this series (which you yourself claim is backed up by evidence such as "a bunch of comments in the comments section") is merely an observation of the echo-chamber these users call home when they're surfing the web. Furthermore, the general disdain you see online regarding this game can be directly correlated with the increase in competitive modes such as EASHL & HUT.

    As soon as online competition took over - the users began to come out in force with 'issues' - some of which are legit - most of which are just people who lost a HUT game and won't take responsibility for how they played.


    OP's point stands strong and I fully agree and support him. The game is a good game, despite it's faults.





  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    This is the only game I've ever played that has digress. It's gotten worse with each new version coming out. If one or two people are complaining about this game I could see your "Pro EA" rant, but the chorus is overwhelming, not here it is since not everyone comes on this forum. You need to go on social media when EA promotes their latest HUT garbage, look at the comment sections. It is undeniable the issues that plague this game. If you did a pro/con comparison of this game, it would be downright jaw dropping to see how bad this game is. What is more shocking, is that anyone who has put this product on the market still has a job. Perhaps EA's expectation for this series is very low. As for the rant from the OP, you can "cherry pick" your argument to support this game, it is very easy to pick apart each of your talking points, too easy if you ask me.

    Comment sections are filled with people who "hate" the game because they eat a few losses online and can't take it.

    The perceived "digression" of this series (which you yourself claim is backed up by evidence such as "a bunch of comments in the comments section") is merely an observation of the echo-chamber these users call home when they're surfing the web. Furthermore, the general disdain you see online regarding this game can be directly correlated with the increase in competitive modes such as EASHL & HUT.

    As soon as online competition took over - the users began to come out in force with 'issues' - some of which are legit - most of which are just people who lost a HUT game and won't take responsibility for how they played.


    OP's point stands strong and I fully agree and support him. The game is a good game, despite it's faults.





    IMO, the game will be ALOT better with TPS gone. Most of my complaints will likely dissipate. Will see how RPM delivers.
  • mikeyflex wrote: »
    This is the only game I've ever played that has digress. It's gotten worse with each new version coming out. If one or two people are complaining about this game I could see your "Pro EA" rant, but the chorus is overwhelming, not here it is since not everyone comes on this forum. You need to go on social media when EA promotes their latest HUT garbage, look at the comment sections. It is undeniable the issues that plague this game. If you did a pro/con comparison of this game, it would be downright jaw dropping to see how bad this game is. What is more shocking, is that anyone who has put this product on the market still has a job. Perhaps EA's expectation for this series is very low. As for the rant from the OP, you can "cherry pick" your argument to support this game, it is very easy to pick apart each of your talking points, too easy if you ask me.

    Then pick them apart
  • 18’s DSS without the ability to skate has actually made the game a complete snore-fest.
    A complete snore fest because you cant go end to end anymore without having the puck knocked loose or a snore fest because D finally have a weapon to combat the OP skill stick and now you're forced to actually pass?

    I've only flayed 25 dropin games since getting my new console and you can tell almost instantly whether a player is good because they know how to avoid the DSS.

    Yeah Mr. drop-in hero, the reason I said “snore-fest” is totally because of me, a full-time ESHL dman, not being able to coast-to-coast every single rush. Has nothing to do with 6s being nothing but traps, dumping, having pokes from 6 feet behind working 99% of the time for anybody with even a decent pair of thumbs, pokes working through legs across the body, and half of the goals being scored through the goalie’s pad, Nooooooooooo.

    It’s simply boring because I can’t go coast-to-coast and don’t know how to pass...
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    18’s DSS without the ability to skate has actually made the game a complete snore-fest.
    A complete snore fest because you cant go end to end anymore without having the puck knocked loose or a snore fest because D finally have a weapon to combat the OP skill stick and now you're forced to actually pass?

    I've only flayed 25 dropin games since getting my new console and you can tell almost instantly whether a player is good because they know how to avoid the DSS.

    Yeah Mr. drop-in hero, the reason I said “snore-fest” is totally because of me, a full-time ESHL dman, not being able to coast-to-coast every single rush. Has nothing to do with 6s being nothing but traps, dumping, having pokes from 6 feet behind working 99% of the time for anybody with even a decent pair of thumbs, pokes working through legs across the body, and half of the goals being scored through the goalie’s pad, Nooooooooooo.

    It’s simply boring because I can’t go coast-to-coast and don’t know how to pass...

    Mr Drop-in Hero lol nice.

    Pokes from 6feet behind
    Half goals are through pads

    Hyperbole much?
  • mikeyflex
    217 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    mikeyflex wrote: »
    This is the only game I've ever played that has digress. It's gotten worse with each new version coming out. If one or two people are complaining about this game I could see your "Pro EA" rant, but the chorus is overwhelming, not here it is since not everyone comes on this forum. You need to go on social media when EA promotes their latest HUT garbage, look at the comment sections. It is undeniable the issues that plague this game. If you did a pro/con comparison of this game, it would be downright jaw dropping to see how bad this game is. What is more shocking, is that anyone who has put this product on the market still has a job. Perhaps EA's expectation for this series is very low. As for the rant from the OP, you can "cherry pick" your argument to support this game, it is very easy to pick apart each of your talking points, too easy if you ask me.

    Comment sections are filled with people who "hate" the game because they eat a few losses online and can't take it.

    l don't see hate, I see lots of questions as to why this game is broken, why it's not fixed, why do they care more about pushing money making as oppose to fixing the game. We can debate what your definition of "hate" is, I'm sure its different from mine.

    The perceived "digression" of this series (which you yourself claim is backed up by evidence such as "a bunch of comments in the comments section") is merely an observation of the echo-chamber these users call home when they're surfing the web. Furthermore, the general disdain you see online regarding this game can be directly correlated with the increase in competitive modes such as EASHL & HUT.

    I've been on both ends, I'm NOT naive to know it only happens against me. I've scored the same "cookie cutter" glitch goals, watch my team overpower my opponent (only to have them cry "ice tilt"). Competitive gaming has been around well before Microsoft and Playstation got into the video gaming industry. I'm old school and was involved in it well before the internet was in every home. People get competitive, they get mad, its always been there. Having said that, that is not the point of my comment.

    As soon as online competition took over - the users began to come out in force with 'issues' - some of which are legit - most of which are just people who lost a HUT game and won't take responsibility for how they played.

    As I've stated before, I've been on both ends, it doesn't make it right. The typical response of "play better defense" is just lame, and played out, no one is buying that. For someone to make a comment about "taking responsibility for how they played" without seeing the game play first hand is downright an ignorant thing to say.


    OP's point stands strong and I fully agree and support him. The game is a good game, despite it's faults.

    You destroy your own argument with this "The game is a good game, despite it's faults" you put the "responsibility" on the gamer to play better and yet in the end here, acknowledge the game has faults, which one is it?



  • its a yearly release, which i usually play till mid august (then delete to kind of go with no hockey with build to the new release)

    so getting nearly a full year of fun, and countless laughs with friends for this price is worth it

    does it have problems? sure... but practically every video game ever does... and when its released yearly just from a business and time standpoint they can only put so much into patches before it would just be harmful overall when trying to focus on the new game (nothing u can really do about it in this yearly model)

    one thing that i feel the need to point out is that the ones on here that are the hardcore negative posters (not all just the extreme ones) like to go back to the point of "look at all the people complaining about the game"

    but considering how many copies of the game were sold, and theres only a small number on these forms, and even a smaller number that are complaining... its not really a valid point to make
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!