EA Forums - Banner

Checking/Hitting - what is it good for?

dougboy90
8 posts New member
When you throw a good hit on the guy he falls down. But is there any residual effect? Does his energy lower or anything?

Replies

• Socair
    2449 posts Game Changer
    You will wear the other team down faster with a lot of hits, yes.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • dougboy90
    8 posts New member
    Is it just a matter that of their energy dropping temporarily until they rest or is there an affect on the rest of the game?
  • Socair
    2449 posts Game Changer
    dougboy90 wrote: »
    Is it just a matter that of their energy dropping temporarily until they rest or is there an affect on the rest of the game?
    Well it drains opposition energy for the period more quickly.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • It's worth nothing. It's not even worth trying
  • TeeMan69X wrote: »
    It's worth nothing. It's not even worth trying

I've only seen two of your posts - the 'But we say. Not in this game.' and this one - perhaps you could add a little more context or read the previous posts before posting like this? Hitting reduces player energy faster than just skating past them and shooting the breeze, and will free the puck up so you can get it. Worth something to me...
  • Ifs funny, in a hockey game I always figured the arcade~y thing would be somewhat over the top hitting. It was odd seeing what I would equate to squirt hockey preferred by the league guys.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Opponents always way out-hit me. At the end of the game he'll have like 15 hits to my 1. It just doesn't seem to have any affect on the outcome of the game. Which is why I posted this to see if anyone knew what the effect really was.
  • dougboy90 wrote: »
    Opponents always way out-hit me. At the end of the game he'll have like 15 hits to my 1. It just doesn't seem to have any affect on the outcome of the game. Which is why I posted this to see if anyone knew what the effect really was.

Thanks @dougboy90 - based on this info I'd say that you don't need to worry about your opponents hitting unless you can't deal with that defensive strategy. Basically I come up against two different kinds of teams who are aggressively hitting:
    1. The first are usually made up of big bodied defence men and their whole defensive strategy is to hit you at the blue line and deny zone entry thus preventing you from having good scoring opportunities. If you can counteract those hits with good skating or judicious use of LT/L2 to spin around them you'll get lots of goals
    2. The second are, usually, people who have a "Make 20 Hits" or "Make 200 Hits" objective to meet and they are just lining up any hits in every game they play until they clear it. These proponents of the hit are often less practiced than those found in example (1.) and simple dekes or skating around them can get you into the zone in space for your well aimed shot.

So the effect of hitting might be best argued in terms of the context of it. As @Socair said the net result to your team energy will be to lower it; but perhaps a bigger effect might be if you can identify why the hits are coming you may be able to avoid them completely and exploit this more aggressive strategy for your own advantage.
  • I guess the bottom line is that we're really all just taking educated guesses about the effect of a hit. Does EA not provide a way to communicate with them and get real answers?