EA Forums - Banner

Beta?

Prev1
TheNitwitable7
68 posts Member
edited July 2018
Will there be an NHL 19 beta? Or anything to try before buying that isn't EA access? Apparently the EASPORTSNHL Twitter handle said information was coming out about it soon, but they deleted the tweet. This leads me to thinking there won't be a beta. Basically ruins the odds of me purchasing day one, but that's EA's loss anyways. Does anyone else have any info on it? The tweet was the only info I could find.

Replies

• B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Theres no new info about it yet. Its also still early.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Ya'll saying if there is no beta then it's not a day one purchase, I ask, how did you guys ever survive before there were demos and betas?
  • Ya'll saying if there is no beta then it's not a day one purchase, I ask, how did you guys ever survive before there were demos and betas?

NINTENDO.
  • Was it 16 that they released a demo beta that everyone thought was really smooth and felt good compared to the prev year, but then when the game released it was choppy and laggy for most users? I remember that being a serious complaint on here that the game didn't play nearly as well once actually released.

I don't care if they release a beta or not. By the way most of you think EA has such limited resources for this series, let's all actually hope they don't spend any time whatsoever putting together a demo. It's just another marketing tool anyways. How about you just don't buy it day 1? Buy it like day 3 maybe if you have to. Let's hope if they're doing anything at this point, they are still working on the actual game...
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Theres no new info about it yet. Its also still early.
    Thank you for the input. I guess I'll try to keep some hope out there. The sad part is, this year's feature set intrigues me the most compared to other years because of the deep focus on core gameplay mechanics like hitting and skating, and these systems have needed work for a long time. Just wish I could try it, because I definitely have a good feeling about this year, and it's been a while since I've felt this way.

Before demos, betas and updates, you will remember the games actually worked as intended. Couldn't update a cartridge, so game had to actually be complete, and functional.

Can't say the same for the gaming industry in general anymore. Release broken games and try to fix them a few months after release. Hence, the importance of betas now :)

Before demos, betas and updates, you will remember the games actually worked as intended. Couldn't update a cartridge, so game had to actually be complete, and functional.

Can't say the same for the gaming industry in general anymore. Release broken games and try to fix them a few months after release. Hence, the importance of betas now :)

Touché
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »
    Its also still early.

Beta releases:

NHL 16 - July 30
    NHL 17 - July 28
    NHL 18 - July 24

All 3 betas were announced 2-3 weeks prior to their release.

It's definitely not too early - and all signs point to no beta - based on previous years.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    Its also still early.

Beta releases:

NHL 16 - July 30
    NHL 17 - July 28
    NHL 18 - July 24

It's definitely not too early - and all signs point to no beta - based on previous years.

Have to agree that a beta seems less likely, for multiple reasons:

They usually are announced a couple weeks prior, and they send out codes by email. Haven't heard anything about that yet...

There are still many things about the game that have yet to be announced. I would imagine they would announce things before we discover them in a beta. We have yet to hear about goalies, which would be in the beta, for example...

Anyways, not looking good gents for a playable beta.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    Its also still early.

Beta releases:

NHL 16 - July 30
    NHL 17 - July 28
    NHL 18 - July 24

So if were looking at trends...I would start panicking if you heard nothing once we hit August.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited July 2018
    Its also still early.

Beta releases:

NHL 16 - July 30
    NHL 17 - July 28
    NHL 18 - July 24

So if were looking at trends...I would start panicking if you heard nothing once we hit August.

I dunno.. the 'trend' is a release at the end of July with an announcement near the beginning of July.

EA hasn't even mentioned the word 'beta' in any of their social media releases. Meanwhile, all previous iterations announced a 'beta' during their reveals - which was noticeably lacking in this year's reveal.

Not saying there isn't a beta coming - you likely know the true answer to that already and can't comment.

Just saying - compared to previous years and EA's consistency in terms of timelines, it's telling that on July 24th, we haven't seen the keyword 'beta' or 'demo' in any tweets, posts, etc.

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Ya'll saying if there is no beta then it's not a day one purchase, I ask, how did you guys ever survive before there were demos and betas?

Cartridge games weren't bug free by any means. They also weren't near as complex as modern games are.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Ya'll saying if there is no beta then it's not a day one purchase, I ask, how did you guys ever survive before there were demos and betas?

Cartridge games weren't bug free by any means. They also weren't near as complex as modern games are.

Oh please. Choose your battles. It isn't even comparable to what we see today, by any stretch.

How many cartridge games did you buy that were "broken", or had to be returned because they were too bugged?

The internet has bred laziness in the gaming industry. Can release utterly broken games and fix them afterwards with "updates". Or, you can actually release games on the projected release day, regardless if it is complete or not because they can always be patched later.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Sinbin wrote: »

Oh please. Choose your battles. It isn't even comparable to what we see today, by any stretch.

How many cartridge games did you buy that were "broken", or had to be returned because they were too bugged?

The internet has bred laziness in the gaming industry. Can release utterly broken games and fix them afterwards with "updates". Or, you can actually release games on the projected release day, regardless if it is complete or not because they can always be patched later.

Its not laziness. Games are much bigger and much more complicated than back when they were on cartridges. Peoples expectations are higher than ever, and game prices have pretty much stayed the same.

Really getting offtopic here though guys. This thread is about a beta and any news that may be coming. Make a new thread if you want to have that discussion.
  • You have one week to release any news about a beta.

Or else...
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    Also, it's the wrong forum for it... but I am 70% sure theres' not gonna be a beta, and each day is adding 1% to the tally.
  • Follisimo
    1346 posts Member
    Its also still early.

Beta releases:

NHL 16 - July 30
    NHL 17 - July 28
    NHL 18 - July 24

I dunno.. the 'trend' is a release at the end of July with an announcement near the beginning of July.

EA hasn't even mentioned the word 'beta' in any of their social media releases. Meanwhile, all previous iterations announced a 'beta' during their reveals - which was noticeably lacking in this year's reveal.

Not saying there isn't a beta coming - you likely know the true answer to that already and can't comment.

Just saying - compared to previous years and EA's consistency in terms of timelines, it's telling that on July 24th, we haven't seen the keyword 'beta' or 'demo' in any tweets, posts, etc.

Actually they did mention the beta on July 5th. Then it was erased. I would link the picture of it but it would probably get removed because heaven forbid more people see what really happened.

The later the beta happens the worse the product could potentially be if people were to find some flaws that probably would then take a month to patch. Well unless it's a HUT problem because that will get fixed within a day.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    they did mention the beta on July 5th. Then it was erased.

This just fuels the speculation! B)
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

When I was a kid I doubt I even recognized bugs. Yeah, I don't recall returning a game because it was broken. Maybe because it wasn't fun though. Games were just very different back then.

If cartridge games had online access, they would have been updated too. It's just a different time and I don't see how you can really compare the 2. The market has drastically changed for games. People expect more from them now. Most every piece of software has bugs. They all ship that way. It's not being lazy when the product isn't truly broken. Games have been released before they should be forever. Hell, one of them was practically responsible for the video game market crash in the early 80s.
  • EA_Cian
    253 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Let's reel it back in here, we're not here to debate the merits of the internet's influence on game development and "quality", this a thread is to discuss NHL beta tests.