EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 BETA TUNER 1.00

Ty_Hors
52 posts Community Manager
edited August 2
NHL 19 BETA TUNER 1.00 - AVAILABLE AUGUST 1st, 2018 @ 5:30 PM PDT/8:30 PM EDT

Hey everyone! We have rolled out a tuner into the NHL 19 Beta based on your major pieces of feedback.

One of the most highly talked about portions of gameplay has been pokechecking, so we've made changes to help address the feedback we've seen. For those who want more information about the changes to pokechecking in NHL 19, check out this deep dive from the NHL Development Team that goes into why and how we've changed it in NHL 19.

Without further ado, here are the tuner changes that went live today:
  • Widen the front angle for which a stick blade can hit a skate and not trigger a trip to reward well-positioned pokes. Poke checks from poor angles or where the defender’s stick shaft hits a leg have not been changed
  • Increased gap in gameplay agility between players with high and low agility ratings to better differentiate skater styles
  • Tuned stamina in NHL ONES to align with burn/recovery rates in EASHL. ONES recoveries were previously lower than intended
  • Tuned down hit-assistance in ONES to increase the skill gap and reward positioning
  • Tuning improvements to boarding penalties. Previously, players were penalized when hitting players along/up the boards, which was unintended

Because of the tuner, we have also extended the beta by 24 hours. It will now end on August 3rd at 11:59 PM PDT

Please let us know your thoughts on the changes to the tuner and thank you again for providing constructive feedback!

Post edited by Ty_Hors on

Replies

•  Today I played my 4th vs game, 1st after tuner. It was a tight battle, 0-2 after 1st, 3-2 after 2nd, he tied it at 59:50, I won 4-3 in OT.

As I was watching replays, he sent me a message...:

He: "ea ruined the game with the tuner"
    I: "how? it was my 1st after tuner, didnt notice anything special...?"

He: "you poke like a madman and no pens, no skill needed anymore..."
    I:  :D

He: "Funny for less skilled like you, bad for the rest of us.  :'("
    Me: "so youre sayin that im bad because i poked like a madman but didnt get penalties? if im just timing it right?  ;)
    i got 6 mins, you got 16... does that make ME a bad player???? or vice versa?  ;)
    i think youre just pissed for losing... like it would mean something. it does not.
    btw did you notice i took 2 of 3 penalties in 1st period? maybe i was too aggressive to press RB and i had to adapt... so i took only 1 after that... that also is skill... to adapt to the game  ;)
    also you made me to dig some stats... you have avg 5.6 pim/g, i have 7.5. now you had 16 (way over average) and i had 6 (slighlty below average). then you say EA ruined the game with the tuner. think is there any logic what youre sayin...?
    did they change the poke check so a bad player (like me :) ) is not punished for bad poking, but a good player (like you :) ) IS punished for good poking. is this the logic behind how "EA ruined it"? :D
    like i said: pissed of b/c of loss. i rest my case...".

Then I got here and read the tuner notes. I just had to send him one more message (sometimes you just have to twist the knife a little  >:) ...):
    "From EA NHL forum, tuner notes: "Without further ado, here are the tuner changes that went live today: Widen the front angle for which a stick blade can hit a skate and not trigger a trip to reward well-positioned pokes. Poke checks from poor angles or where the defender’s stick shaft hits a leg have not been changed". That really made my day!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D ."

So, I guess at least someone thinks you ruined the game with the tuner!  :D
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    1746 posts Member
    edited August 2
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
     Today I played my 4th vs game...

Clearly the tuner only applied to you which is why he nearly tripled your PIMs. Can't blame him for being upset.
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
     Today I played my 4th vs game...

Clearly the tuner only applied to you which is why he nearly tripled your PIMs. Can't blame him for being upset.
    Oh... of course... my bad. :(
  • Makes me wonder how many penalties he would have/did take before the tuner.
    PSN: BruinsRock2LP|Xbox: FiveForBoarding
  • My opinion is, that game was so much better before this tuner. Poke checks were balance, hitting was awesome and skating too. Now game is almost same, that NHL 18. I didn´t had problems with poke checks, maybe just a little bit adjust.

As my opinion, game is ruined right now. Please bring back game before this tuner!
  • I have to agree. I preferred the game before the tuner, and now for some reason I am taking more penalties than before....
    I usually get 1 tripping penalty every 2 or 3 games. Last night was getting 3 and 4 per game.
  • I have to agree. I preferred the game before the tuner, and now for some reason I am taking more penalties than before....
    I usually get 1 tripping penalty every 2 or 3 games. Last night was getting 3 and 4 per game.
    My opinion is, that game was so much better before this tuner. Poke checks were balance, hitting was awesome and skating too. Now game is almost same, that NHL 18. I didn´t had problems with poke checks, maybe just a little bit adjust.

As my opinion, game is ruined right now. Please bring back game before this tuner!

See this @NHLDev? I played last night and I agree with these guys. I think you should reverse what you did with this update.
    My opinion is, that game was so much better before this tuner. Poke checks were balance, hitting was awesome and skating too. Now game is almost same, that NHL 18. I didn´t had problems with poke checks, maybe just a little bit adjust.

See this @NHLDev? I played last night and I agree with these guys. I think you should reverse what you did with this update.

They just say they preferred the first one. They haven't given any real reasons or talking points as to why. You've just done the same.

I've only been able to play a couple games on the new tuner. I felt people were still punished for pokes from behind and the side, but also felt a little more accurate from the front? Haven't played enough to form a true opinion though.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    I have to agree. I preferred the game before the tuner, and now for some reason I am taking more penalties than before....

They just say they preferred the first one. They haven't given any real reasons or talking points as to why. You've just done the same.

I've only been able to play a couple games on the new tuner. I felt people were still punished for pokes from behind and the side, but also felt a little more accurate from the front? Haven't played enough to form a true opinion though.

Fair enough. Personally, I didn't take many penalties at all, I was playing with a friend 2 on 0 vs the CPU and I had one trip, one interference and one fight, he had like 6 trips. So I am curious to see if it was just him or if there is a problem.
  • As a steady d man I'm cool with the poke shakedown. Not cool with the street gear in 3's and 6's
  • Riskygodfather
    1 posts Member
    edited August 5
    Dear EA Sports NHL team,

I think the biggest thing you should focus on from now until the release date is nothing to do with gameplay. I think the mechanics of the game are an incredible improvement from NHL 18 and I am very excited to dive into the game!

The biggest issue by far is THE MENU SYSTEM. Each menu takes far too long to load. I do not need to see my player fully rendered if it is going to take an extra 30 seconds to load the menu. I do not want to wait 30+ seconds for my friends to connect to me every single time we want to play a game. I do not need so many confirmation messages such as Are you sure you want to do X.

Most importantly, there is no reason for there to be 8 submenus, each of which has a ~5 second load time, that I need to go through to change my hat! And then have to back out of 6 of those to change one of my four jerseys!. The amount of time the menus take, specifically the player customization menu, is simply unacceptable. I highly encourage your team to look hard at the way these menus are coded and see where you can shave off precious seconds of loading time. And please, please, please cut the number of customization submenus in half at least!

Other than that, the game is really awesome and I'm excited to play it!

PS. In general my biggest problem with NHL games has always been the poorly optimized menu system and all the little glitches that are never fixed, like replay cameras showing the other end of the ice, players awkwardly skating into each other after whistles, being forced to back out to the main menu when cancelling a versus search... the game is really good but in order for it to be great you have to spend some time fixing/optimizing these kind of things. For someone like me these little things go a really really long way in loving the game and playing it for a long time!
  • I didn't mind how the menu was, they could use to be more streamlined but overall they seem improved over NHL 18 which is all I could really ask for. I think EA should consider bringing back the menu system from last gen with the lists, at least those were pretty quick. EA should reach out to Sony San Diego and see how they make their menus so fast on MLB the Show, the Show is the gold standard when it comes to menus.