EA Forums - Banner

Not finding 6's drop-ins

Prev13456
MuskyPenguin
23 posts Member
edited September 2018
I want to share my experience with the community because something seems odd.

Me and a buddy started the the EA Access Trial on Wednesday, September 5th and attempted to find a drop-in 6's game. The population was showing LOW, and the average waiting time was 2:12. We couldn't find a game, and we chalked it up to the fact that the trial wasn't advertised to start until Sept 6th, so to avoid wasting any further trial time, we turned it off.

Fast forward a day, and we figured that the population would be bigger. Once again, we load up the game and attempt to find a drop-in 6's. Again, the population is showing LOW, and the average waiting time is only slightly better at 1:56. A couple of searches fail, however finally we get into a game. We had 5 guys, they had 3 and there was only 12 seconds left on the timer when we got in. After that game we search again. Again, some searches fail but we finally get into a game after waiting for roughly 2 minutes. This time, there are 5 guys on the other team and just the 2 of us on the other team. There was 20 seconds left on the timer. Why did it take so long to find this game? If there are 5 guys on one team, and no-one on the other, then either these guys are a group (Which is unlikely since 1 left before the game started, and another mid-way through the first) or the matchmaking is broken.

I just want to know if this is a common occurrence for anyone in the community. There are some things that are bothering me:

1) Is the population showing LOW for everybody?
2) Is the average wait times long for everybody?
3) Are people getting into the game lobby's with very little time left?
4) Are people seeing unbalanced teams when they do join?

Thanks!
Moderator Edit: Here is the response from the NHL Dev Team here on the above.
Post edited by Ty_Hors on

Replies

• I was watching a steam and this guy who had a group of 3s was searching, and another guy with a group of 3s was messaging him on twitch saying they were also searching. Took over two minutes to connect them.

Made no sense.

They literally thought it was broken but the game connected just before I'm sure it would have said "couldn't find opponent" or whatever it said.
  • Looks like this EA Access is going to kill off alot of day 1 purchases. I for one am extremely disappointed they haven't resolved the connection issues we had throughout the whole beta.
  • Looks like this EA Access is going to kill off alot of day 1 purchases. I for one am extremely disappointed they haven't resolved the connection issues we had throughout the whole beta.

How so?
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I've had no problems getting in to drop-ins. It's just been tough to find full 6v6 games.

Edit: I take it back. Just had a couple attempts where I timed out before a game was found. It worked on the 3rd try. Probably a lower population mid-day though too.
    Post edited by Sinbin on
  • It was impossible to find a daytime EST game but no problem what so ever at night. I've been in five 6s games lobbies and every game launched fine.
  • The Beta really turned people off Drops or even the game itself with all the freezing and losing connection so will be a slow ride to get players back
  • I tried 3s and 6s for just over an hour last night and was unable to even find a single lobby. Played ones a few times and tried again. Three searches timed out and went back to ones. I really hope this is not a sign of things to come. I was pretty excited about 19 but if there are less people online than 18 the game is in trouble.

What about club? Has anyone played many club games?? None of my regular club have the trial.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    The Beta really turned people off Drops or even the game itself with all the freezing and losing connection so will be a slow ride to get players back

I doubt people are avoiding them because of this. Early access is going to have a much smaller population. I got in 6s games fine yesterday. It was just today that I had some trouble. It seems only to be due to the low population. I couldn't get in drop-ins in the beta so this is definitely an improvement.
  • It was impossible to find a daytime EST game but no problem what so ever at night. I've been in five 6s games lobbies and every game launched fine.

Drops or club?
  • So the games aren't freezing and kicking people for connections now like in the beta?
  • So the games aren't freezing and kicking people for connections now like in the beta?

I played 8 games last night in EASHL and had no problems. Neither did any of my teammates except for when 1 trial ran out.

• deadman9999
    877 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Follisimo wrote: »
    So the games aren't freezing and kicking people for connections now like in the beta?

I played 8 games last night in EASHL and had no problems. Neither did any of my teammates except for when 1 trial ran out.

Yes but did you do drops or club?
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    So the games aren't freezing and kicking people for connections now like in the beta?

Small sample size but I've yet to freeze in the lobby or pregame skate. All dropin.

Edit: just got into back to back lobbies. Game launched no problem. All 12 made it in.
  • Follisimo wrote: »

Club 6s.. I didn't really have connection problems in the beta either.

• deadman9999
    877 posts Member
    edited September 2018

Club 6s.. I didn't really have connection problems in the beta either.

well thats why Club wasnt affected by the issue, mainly DROPS
  • Hey everyone,

I just wanted to clear up some differences between drop-in matchmaking between the Beta/last year and what we have tuned right now for NHL 19

In past years, Drop-in Matchmaking allowed for 2v2 sessions to start which brought the users to the matchup screen where they would have to wait for up to 3 minutes for more people to fill in the open slots. We know that in the majority of cases people want full sessions and they would wait the 3 minutes for the sessions to fill up anyways. For NHL 19, we have matchmaking tuned right now to keep users in the searching state longer so a Drop-In 6v6 session won’t bring the users into the matchup screen until the teams are 5v5. By doing this we can accomplish a few things:

1) We have more users in the matchmaking pool at the same time, so we can actually formulate better/closer CR rated teams for more even matches.

2) When brought to the matchup screen in a full session, users are more likely to continue on into gameplay rather than backing out, which allows us to shorten the timer in the matchup screen as well.

Right now our matchmaking pools aren’t as populated compared to when the game is fully released, so finding a game might be a bit of a challenge right now especially during non-peak hours

PS – A similar case to Drop-in 3v3 where we wait for 3 users per team
  • Hey everyone,

I just wanted to clear up some differences between drop-in matchmaking between the Beta/last year and what we have tuned right now for NHL 19

In past years, Drop-in Matchmaking allowed for 2v2 sessions to start which brought the users to the matchup screen where they would have to wait for up to 3 minutes for more people to fill in the open slots. We know that in the majority of cases people want full sessions and they would wait the 3 minutes for the sessions to fill up anyways. For NHL 19, we have matchmaking tuned right now to keep users in the searching state longer so a Drop-In 6v6 session won’t bring the users into the matchup screen until the teams are 5v5. By doing this we can accomplish a few things:

1) We have more users in the matchmaking pool at the same time, so we can actually formulate better/closer CR rated teams for more even matches.

2) When brought to the matchup screen in a full session, users are more likely to continue on into gameplay rather than backing out, which allows us to shorten the timer in the matchup screen as well.

Right now our matchmaking pools aren’t as populated compared to when the game is fully released, so finding a game might be a bit of a challenge right now especially during non-peak hours

ok.... but the beta when the rooms were filled the games would freeze before Puck drop, thats whats scaring most of us at the moment
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Hey everyone,

ok.... but the beta when the rooms were filled the games would freeze before Puck drop, thats whats scaring most of us at the moment

7 games (all 6s dropin) I've yet to have this happen whereas the beta I would drop 3/4.
  • Hey everyone,

7 games (all 6s dropin) I've yet to have this happen whereas the beta I would drop 3/4.

Thanks for the response my dude. May go back to pre-ordering.
  • Hey everyone,

well i will be on Youtube tuesday afternoon will give feedback throughout the day