EA Forums - Banner

An Honest Review

jake19ny
688 posts Member
edited September 2018
Ok so I’m a sucker and purchased the game. I just love hockey and I’m starving for good offline experience. Here is about as honest a take as I can give;

Offline:
I’ve played 8 play now games and the new skating makes a big difference. In some areas the game feels more like a hockey game. That said the AI mainly the teammate AI is still bad. Defenseman bunching up, forwards wandering, and the most annoying, skating into you. Goalies received little to no love. Player separation once again doesn’t exist...every player every line feels and plays the same.

HUT:
If you like HUT get ready to be very angry. The only thing new besides the skating is finding more ways to make you spend money. Gold contracts are now only good for 10 games instead of 13. The lower ratings just mean you will need to acquire better cards down the road because we all know they will have 99 cards at some point. The loan card idea is a scam also...nothing like completing a challenge to earn a card that’s only good for 10 games. Loyalty reward McDavid is just an 80 overall while Mikael Backlund is an 81 and Legend Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player ever is an 85....just 4 points higher than Backlund....Dumb. Money goals still work. Goalies still stink.

CHEL: I was bored with this by the end of the BETA it’s tragic this is where they spent the majority of development and like Forest Gump “that’s all I have to say about that”.

EASHL: Did not dive in yet but the Beta turned me off with the clothes and snazzy toques making it very confusing on the ice.

Graphics and Presentation:
Not much new here at all. 5 man celly is good to see but commentary remains stale and they are simply not catching the excitement of the sport or a meaningful goal or save. Same old goalie masks for some teams dating back to last gen....I know this seems meaningless but it shows how little they care about making this series look and feel fresh for offline guys

Bottom line:
I’m mainly an offline guy and the new skating and difference it makes in the game is enough to make me want to attempt a season but I have a feeling the same old issues that have plagued offline play for years will wear on me and I may not make it through. A simple roster share and real player separation would have gone a long way to help us forgotten offline players. This game once again falls short in too many areas. overall. 6/10

Replies

• B_Bunny
    888 posts Moderator
    edited September 2018
    An honest review from a biased offline gamer*

Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Im glad you pointed that out at least. I find it odd you go through the online gamemodes like HUT and World of Chel, but as an offline gamer give no review for franchise.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B-Bunny wrote: »
    An honest review from a biased offline gamer*

Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Im glad you pointed that out at least. I find it odd you go through the online gamemodes like HUT and World of Chel, but as an offline gamer give no review for franchise.

I do season mode. I’ve never touched Franchise ever so I couldn’t possibly say if it’s good, is better, or worse. My offline review is more about the game play though which would of course include Franchise play..Just because I mainly play offline doesn’t mean I’m biased. I playvenough online to form an opinion. My review is just that anyway, an opinion. It’s simply how I see this release. Others can see it another way and that’s fine.
  • Same old camera views ???
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    Ok so I’m a sucker and purchased the game. I just love hockey and I’m starving for good offline experience. Here is about as honest a take as I can give;

Offline:
    I’ve played 8 play now games and the new skating makes a big difference. In some areas the game feels more like a hockey game. That said the AI mainly the teammate AI is still bad. Defenseman bunching up, forwards wandering, and the most annoying, skating into you. Goalies received little to no love. Player separation once again doesn’t exist...every player every line feels and plays the same.

HUT:
    If you like HUT get ready to be very angry. The only thing new besides the skating is finding more ways to make you spend money. Gold contracts are now only good for 10 games instead of 13. The lower ratings just mean you will need to acquire better cards down the road because we all know they will have 99 cards at some point. The loan card idea is a scam also...nothing like completing a challenge to earn a card that’s only good for 10 games. Loyalty reward McDavid is just an 80 overall while Mikael Backlund is an 81 and Legend Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player ever is an 85....just 4 points higher than Backlund....Dumb. Money goals still work. Goalies still stink.

CHEL: I was bored with this by the end of the BETA it’s tragic this is where they spent the majority of development and like Forest Gump “that’s all I have to say about that”.

EASHL: Did not dive in yet but the Beta turned me off with the clothes and snazzy toques making it very confusing on the ice.

Not much new here at all. 5 man celly is good to see but commentary remains stale and they are simply not catching the excitement of the sport or a meaningful goal or save. Same old goalie masks for some teams dating back to last gen....I know this seems meaningless but it shows how little they care about making this series look and feel fresh for offline guys

Bottom line:
    I’m mainly an offline guy and the new skating and difference it makes in the game is enough to make me want to attempt a season but I have a feeling the same old issues that have plagued offline play for years will wear on me and I may not make it through. A simple roster share and real player separation would have gone a long way to help us forgotten offline players. This game once again falls short in too many areas. overall. 6/10

How is them giving you a free card for 10 games a scam? I can't wait to hear this.

Offline:

HUT:

Bottom line:

How is them giving you a free card for 10 games a scam? I can't wait to hear this.

Last year you completed challenges to earn cards that you kept or could auction now you earn cards that are good for 10 games? Pretty greasy....hey again it’s simply my take. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me....
  • Tonyfereli
    83 posts Game Changer
    I don't mind the idea of loan cards. They can be used for sets after you reach 0 games, so they still hold some value. The thing I don't like about them is that I don't like changing my lines to get the synergies I want every 5-10 games because my loan cards keep running out. Right now, i'm just not using them at all. Waiting to see if more loan sets are on the way, other wise they will all become gold collectibles.
    Tonyferelli | NHL Gamechanger | twitch.tv/tonyferelli
  • Cranky1962 wrote: »
    Same old camera views ???

Yes
    Cranky1962 wrote: »

Yes

How many camera views do you need? There’s already what 8-10 different views.
    Cranky1962 wrote: »

Yes

How many camera views do you need? There’s already what 8-10 different views.

I agree I was just answering the question...