EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 - Tuner and Patch Notes

Replies

• TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited December 2018

It boggles my mind when sales have been stale for years, you finally release a version that was actually praised by users and websites that reviewed the game only to go back to a version that has been proven to be stale for years.

The game did not go back to a 'version that has been proven to be stale for years"

That's just your opinion.

In my opinion, the game - specifically the skating engine and the changes to hitting - took a giant leap forward. Some superficial elements of the engine may seem stale - presentation on the top of that list - but the game itself has absolutely transformed from NHL 18.

If you truly feel that NHL 19 "went back to NHL 18", then in my opinion and with all due respect - you have a gross misunderstanding of the new elements that were added to NHL 19. You clearly do not understand the changes made. Again - this isn't to 'bait' you in to an argument. I'm really not wanting to be banned from here again so I'm trying to make it as clear as possible that I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever.

If you're playing NHL 19 and think it's exactly like NHL 18 - you're clearly skewed/biased in your perspective.

Fair assessment I guess.

See, the thing is, yes new skating and new hitting. Problem is, it plays just like 18, but with a bit more agility and a bit more control. We are more accountable on poke checks and now stick lifts are borderline useless.

The game truly was very different from 18 up until the 1.03 patch

Everything I hate about 18 is back in 19, except for the wonky pivots.

I am defending player bubbles

I am defender corner twirlers

I am defending short side glitchers

I am defending baiting AI D for back door one-timers

I am defending twirlers getting to the slot for high glove shots. Always top shelf on the glove, just like 14-18. Of the 5 corners to shoot at, everyone aims for that high glove when in the high slot. Don't find that curious at all??

etc...

The game did not take leaps and bounds from 18. That is only your opinion.

At the end of the day, you enjoy 19 and I don't. You see it as completely new and fresh. I don't. You don't see all the cheap cheese from 18 and prior, but I do. I will not convince you otherwise, and you will not convince me otherwise. It is what it is.

I think the thing is that I don't see it as 'cheese'.

If a player gets a step on me and scores from the slot against the grain.. yea sure we all see that goal often but in no way whatsoever is it a 'glitch' or 'cheese'.

Its; "I know he wants to go there, but he correctly faked a move the other way, I comitted.. he got 'there' and scored. My bad'.

But what the vocal minority says is; "I know he wants to there that cheeser, I'm gonna stop him but nope he decided to go that way ****--- ah crap now I over-committed and can't change my momentum to where I want to go! STUPID EA! AW HE SCORED FROM THAT SAME SLOT STUPID EA SUCH GARBAGE"

No accountability.

EA made the decision to ease up on the goalie response time to allow these types of goals to continuously be high percentage scoring chances in the same exact spots with the same type of shot, where previously you would have to be quite varied in order to score. Same goal with D in front of them, same goal on a breakaway, same goal on a penalty shot, same goal because the developers tweaked the game on a technical scale. Pretty sure I know who to blame, and it isn't my own defense.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1381 posts Member
    edited December 2018

It boggles my mind when sales have been stale for years, you finally release a version that was actually praised by users and websites that reviewed the game only to go back to a version that has been proven to be stale for years.

The game did not go back to a 'version that has been proven to be stale for years"

In my opinion, the game - specifically the skating engine and the changes to hitting - took a giant leap forward. Some superficial elements of the engine may seem stale - presentation on the top of that list - but the game itself has absolutely transformed from NHL 18.

If you truly feel that NHL 19 "went back to NHL 18", then in my opinion and with all due respect - you have a gross misunderstanding of the new elements that were added to NHL 19. You clearly do not understand the changes made. Again - this isn't to 'bait' you in to an argument. I'm really not wanting to be banned from here again so I'm trying to make it as clear as possible that I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever.

If you're playing NHL 19 and think it's exactly like NHL 18 - you're clearly skewed/biased in your perspective.

Fair assessment I guess.

See, the thing is, yes new skating and new hitting. Problem is, it plays just like 18, but with a bit more agility and a bit more control. We are more accountable on poke checks and now stick lifts are borderline useless.

I am defending twirlers getting to the slot for high glove shots. Always top shelf on the glove, just like 14-18. Of the 5 corners to shoot at, everyone aims for that high glove when in the high slot. Don't find that curious at all??

etc...

At the end of the day, you enjoy 19 and I don't. You see it as completely new and fresh. I don't. You don't see all the cheap cheese from 18 and prior, but I do. I will not convince you otherwise, and you will not convince me otherwise. It is what it is.

If a player gets a step on me and scores from the slot against the grain.. yea sure we all see that goal often but in no way whatsoever is it a 'glitch' or 'cheese'.

Its; "I know he wants to go there, but he correctly faked a move the other way, I comitted.. he got 'there' and scored. My bad'.

But what the vocal minority says is; "I know he wants to there that cheeser, I'm gonna stop him but nope he decided to go that way ****--- ah crap now I over-committed and can't change my momentum to where I want to go! STUPID EA! AW HE SCORED FROM THAT SAME SLOT STUPID EA SUCH GARBAGE"

No accountability.

I will not completely disagree with you here. You do have a point, but to a point. There is a reason people go for these moves. They are predictable outcomes. Sure, they can be defended and whatnot. No argument there. But even when you do the right things and at the right times, goals will still happen despite playing better D.

There are players out there that are literally 2 trick ponies and there is a reason why. It works. You don't need high hockey IQ. Just need those cheese goals.

The thing is - in real hockey - you can do all the things right and the puck still goes in.

I think what makes people incredibly mad about this game is this whole Hockey IQ thing.

Ya'll think your hockey IQ's are through the roof - and when you get beat by someone who scores a goal that you see often - you just chalk it up to 'cheese'. And not to mention the sheer volume of posts from the typical users about "hockey iq".

It takes a low Hockey IQ to score the same goal over and over - agreed.

but it takes an even lower hockey IQ to allow the same goal over and over.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    People just asked for a tuner update to ramp down the trips. What we got was MUCH more.

I'm still trying to find that group of people on the forums where they said "Hey, NHL 19 is bad we want it to be more like 18." Wherever EA is collecting their feedback from needs to put it straight in the trash.

Tripping is fine. It was made more lenient in a tuner as well. It's not as risky as it was at the start. You now need some skill to poke well. It's nothing like 18 in that regard.

Average game over about 210 6v6 drop ins has over 30min of penalties. Most involving stick infractions. Love it or hate it tripping penalties define the game presently. Cr range is 400-800
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • but it takes an even lower hockey IQ to allow the same goal over and over.

@KidShowtime1867 you always seem to be arguing against the wrong point in these discussions and sometimes I think you disagree with folks because you get some thrill out of bickering. I've played two games against you and from what I am able to tell, you are not one who abuses the the pitfalls of the game. With a community as toxic as NHL, I applaud you for playing the game the right way.

The issue at hand is this: This franchise does not punish players enough who dont play hockey the way it should be played. Yes there are MANY ways to play the game of hockey and be successful, all of which include variety/innovation/skill/teamwork, etc. NONE of that is required to be successful in this game. If my mindset going into every game was to abuse SS wristers and rag the puck, I could 100% do it and do it effectively, however the lifespan of this game would be very short in my library as that is mundane and boring. The SAME goes for the defensive side of the puck, for the folks that join games to abuse SS wristers and puck ragging, I can stop them and do so effectively. However, this is also mundane and boring.

Please go to nhl.com and pull game tape, from a SINGLE GAME and show me where goalies are letting in SS wristers from tops of circles 2, 3, 4+ times a game. Please go to nhl.com and pull game tape, from a SINGLE GAME and show me where players are avoiding being absolutely dummied by curling their sticks 10 feet behind their bodies.

So no, it doesnt take "even lower hockey IQ" to allow the same goal over and over. What does it take, you ask? A monopoly in the hockey gaming world who has no care about what they release to the public because at the end of the day they have no one to keep them honest. If they TRULY cared, the things the community has been screaming about with the 1.03 tuner, would have been address and corrected by this time.

If you love the game so much, more power to you, I wish I (along with nearly every other forum/reddit/twitter member) felt the same way. Just don't be surprised when changes aren't made and you find it difficult to find an OVP match come '20 because the community takes a stand.
  • Also, @KidShowtime1867

Is this a sick representation of the awesome defensive tools we have at our disposal, or what? Biggest hit I've seen in 10 years.....

https://streamable.com/dfjph

• It boggles my mind when sales have been stale for years, you finally release a version that was actually praised by users and websites that reviewed the game only to go back to a version that has been proven to be stale for years.

Fair assessment I guess.

etc...

No accountability.

I will not completely disagree with you here. You do have a point, but to a point. There is a reason people go for these moves. They are predictable outcomes. Sure, they can be defended and whatnot. No argument there. But even when you do the right things and at the right times, goals will still happen despite playing better D.

There are players out there that are literally 2 trick ponies and there is a reason why. It works. You don't need high hockey IQ. Just need those cheese goals.

The thing is - in real hockey - you can do all the things right and the puck still goes in.

I think what makes people incredibly mad about this game is this whole Hockey IQ thing.

Ya'll think your hockey IQ's are through the roof - and when you get beat by someone who scores a goal that you see often - you just chalk it up to 'cheese'. And not to mention the sheer volume of posts from the typical users about "hockey iq".

It takes a low Hockey IQ to score the same goal over and over - agreed.

but it takes an even lower hockey IQ to allow the same goal over and over.

So I take it you are the only person who thinks hockey IQ is over rated in a hockey game? You don't think hockey IQ should be rewarded in a hockey game?

Why am I arguing with you?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1381 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Also, @KidShowtime1867

Is this a sick representation of the awesome defensive tools we have at our disposal, or what? Biggest hit I've seen in 10 years.....

The player in control of the player laying the big hit isn't even hitting the hit button.....

arms are by his sides, indicating the hit button was released or not pressed at all when the players were colliding:

8xHCdei.png
  • Also, @KidShowtime1867

Awesome example right there. But yea, these new collisions and physics are awesome though, right?
  • Also, @KidShowtime1867

The player in control of the player laying the big hit isn't even hitting the hit button.....

arms are by his sides, indicating the hit button was released or not pressed at all when the players were colliding:

8xHCdei.png

based on the animations in video i agree with kid, the guy just runs into the player. no hit stick.

ugghh , hit stick. dumbest thing ever. this is 2018... we have physics engines for a reason. I think some of the biggest problems with hitting is that stupid hit stick. Just like theres times where i hit up on my right stick to shoot or whatever and nothing happens theres times where i try to hit someone and it's like it doesn't register. i don't see any animation.

just use physics to hit, can not be that hard. get rid of stupid hit stick.
  • @KidShowtime1867 you always seem to be arguing against the wrong point in these discussions and sometimes I think you disagree with folks because you get some thrill out of bickering. I've played two games against you and from what I am able to tell, you are not one who abuses the the pitfalls of the game. With a community as toxic as NHL, I applaud you for playing the game the right way.

Thanks man. I like to challenge people on their skewed perspective of this game. Many people take my challenges as "arguing". I'm simply pointing out the facts, trying to chip away at the hyperbole.
    The issue at hand is this: This franchise does not punish players enough who dont play hockey the way it should be played.

Yes it does. All the time.
    Yes there are MANY ways to play the game of hockey and be successful, all of which include variety/innovation/skill/teamwork, etc. NONE of that is required to be successful in this game.

Yes. Yes it is.

If my mindset going into every game was to abuse SS wristers and rag the puck, I could 100% do it and do it effectively, however the lifespan of this game would be very short in my library as that is mundane and boring. The SAME goes for the defensive side of the puck, for the folks that join games to abuse SS wristers and puck ragging, I can stop them and do so effectively. However, this is also mundane and boring.

That's awesome - we share the same mindset that playing with cheap/boring tactics in mind all game is boring. 100%.

That said - you have to be prepared to defend these tactics as the nature of the sport allows these types of plays. Not the nature of the game (what should EA do, limit the ability to shoot from the slot?) but the nature of how the game is able to be played. People online with skills to match will do what they can to win. It's up to you to defend it.

There's still no glitch goals or 'cheese' - there are high % scoring areas and the best players will try to score from there no matter what.
    Please go to nhl.com and pull game tape, from a SINGLE GAME and show me where goalies are letting in SS wristers from tops of circles 2, 3, 4+ times a game. Please go to nhl.com and pull game tape, from a SINGLE GAME and show me where players are avoiding being absolutely dummied by curling their sticks 10 feet behind their bodies.

Again - if you're being scored on THAT often by this goal, that's 100% on you.
    So no, it doesnt take "even lower hockey IQ" to allow the same goal over and over.

I stand by my point that it does.
    What does it take, you ask? A monopoly in the hockey gaming world who has no care about what they release to the public because at the end of the day they have no one to keep them honest. If they TRULY cared, the things the community has been screaming about with the 1.03 tuner, would have been address and corrected by this time.

That's the thing. The community hasn't been screaming. A very vocal minority are 'screaming'. Others are saying they simply don't like it and a vast majority are still learning how to master the system without making excuses.

If you love the game so much, more power to you, I wish I (along with nearly every other forum/reddit/twitter member) felt the same way. Just don't be surprised when changes aren't made and you find it difficult to find an OVP match come '20 because the community takes a stand.

This game will do just fine. Unless they rip out EASHL and HUT - EA's NHL version is headed in the right direction.
  • Also, @KidShowtime1867

8xHCdei.png

Just to add to this - the player was knocked off the puck with incidental contact, but instead of taking control of another defender whose movement wasn't being impeded, the user committed to the player who initiated contact and subsequently was a few steps behind from the over-commitment.

• There's still no glitch goals or 'cheese' - there are high % scoring areas and the best players will try to score from there no matter what.

Again, SS wristers from tops of circles with no screens are not high % scoring areas in real life and they shouldnt be in this video game. Point. Blank. End of Discussion. It's also an easy fix, btw. No EA shouldnt limit ability to shoot from the slot (may I point out you said SLOT not top of the circles) but how about program your goalies to play like....goalies....but wait....with a brain...and maybe even traits and characteristic of real life NHL goalies?? That'd be a pretty cool feature to add to this series.

NHL 20 promo video - "NHL 14-19 goalies but with athleticism, reflexes and common sense"
  • There's still no glitch goals or 'cheese' - there are high % scoring areas and the best players will try to score from there no matter what.

Again, SS wristers from tops of circles with no screens are not high % scoring areas in real life and they shouldnt be in this video game. Point. Blank. End of Discussion. It's also an easy fix, btw. No EA shouldnt limit ability to shoot from the slot (may I point out you said SLOT not top of the circles) but how about program your goalies to play like....goalies....but wait....with a brain...and maybe even traits and characteristic of real life NHL goalies?? That'd be a pretty cool feature to add to this series.

NHL 20 promo video - "NHL 14-19 goalies but with athleticism, reflexes and common sense"

I don't believe the "ss wristers from tops of circles" goes in as much as you claim they do.

Furthermore, they are easily defend able should your opponent try this move more than 1 time in any given game.
  • glitch or cheese or whatever... it's called exploited a programmed AI goalie. Ummm welcome to video games, not real life. You don't want people exploiting AI, don't play against them. There's still code that can be "exploited" , such is the life of a competitive gamer.

also those wristers are not 100% but they are pretty good chance if you know what you are doing.
  • glitch or cheese or whatever... it's called exploited a programmed AI goalie. Ummm welcome to video games, not real life. You don't want people exploiting AI, don't play against them. There's still code that can be "exploited" , such is the life of a competitive gamer.

also those wristers are not 100% but they are pretty good chance if you know what you are doing.

So, are you saying that the goalie is "pre-programmed" to let that specific shot go in?
  • as far as i can tell, yes it is.

The goalie backs in too much, goes down in butterfly (when it should not do so) at the same time that it starts to cheat towards farside forehand shot. opening up short side top cheese. Shoot, snipe. been that way for years. Although usually by the time you let it go the shot is really going farside as you cross the slot. it's not 100% but mostly because sometimes the goalie makes great save even though it looks wide open, sometimes he doesn't.

I have played with some guys that are better at it than others. no joke, they can play with enforcers, skate over the blue line, cut towards the high slot and wrist it and score A LOT. not every time but they just seem so smooth at it and it's just like muscle memory, it looks the same every time and doesnt matter the player type they do it with.

this is just how i see it. could be much more to it than that.
  • as far as i can tell, yes it is.

The goalie backs in too much, goes down in butterfly (when it should not do so) at the same time that it starts to cheat towards farside forehand shot. opening up short side top cheese. Shoot, snipe. been that way for years. Although usually by the time you let it go the shot is really going farside as you cross the slot. it's not 100% but mostly because sometimes the goalie makes great save even though it looks wide open, sometimes he doesn't.

I have played with some guys that are better at it than others. no joke, they can play with enforcers, skate over the blue line, cut towards the high slot and wrist it and score A LOT. not every time but they just seem so smooth at it and it's just like muscle memory, it looks the same every time and doesnt matter the player type they do it with.

this is just how i see it. could be much more to it than that.

To be fair, I believe NHL_Dev commented on this specific goal and noted some issues at play that could be contributing to this.

I do see your point. And I really enjoy your passion about this. I really do get a kick out of discussing this game with other users. Even if we don't see eye to eye I still respect everyone who takes part in these discussions.

That said - I think this goal is easily preventable. It's annoying sure - but I don't believe it's pre-programmed to let that goal in.

I think - and I believe NHL Dev has alluded to - there's an animation issue at play here. Not the right animation being selected or the goalie is a frame behind or something.. I can't recall.

Saying it's pre-determined to go in based on factors like score or due to some kind of 'momentum' is a false claim to make though. Not saying you've made that specific claim, but it tends to be the narrative surrounding these goals.

• jmwalsh8888
    1184 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    yeah you may be mixing me up with others. i don't care about these goals that much. they are easy to defend usually. 2 on 1's is the one place that it ticks me off because you defend it he passes for easy one timer or 1 on none, you fade back to take away pass, he does this. but your fault for giving up 2 on 1s.

your last point i agree with and definitely never stated i felt this way. this is not some momentum thing. it's just how the goalies are programmed, its an animation issue or more to the point, i feel, an AI issue. He's doing the wrong things for the situation and people exploit it. Regardless of who's playing, what the score is, etc...

I like to play something that resembles real hockey so you won't see me using these too often. Even the break away backhand shot i won't use unless i'm stuck playing drop ins with a bunch of goofs (95% of the time) and we are getting our **** kicked and they are worthless. Then sometimes you have no choice but to make the best out of it.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Wow, the fact that there is no tuner at all for gameplay leaves me speechless. This means that the tuning to bring this game backwards to be like 15-18 means it is here to stay. This is the way they want the game to be played.

I am still furious that I paid for a product, which was 19 and you guys switched it to 18 on me. I hate 18 last year, I hate it this year, and I will hate it next year when you try to sell it to me with an NHL 20 cover.

It almost feels intentional like someone at EA is purposely sabotaging this franchise.

• It's pretty funny that the CPU goalie can do these amazing saves against cross-crease one-timers, literally standing on his head, but the short side wrister goes in EVERY TIME, if the puck just doesn't miss the goal.

Why is this? The goalies were much better in the beta in this regard - oh you can argue they were just as bad and they players just adapted. But why is this working like it is? Why do you reward this shot, and not one-timers which are arguably more challenging to get right (getting the pass to the free guy) etc.?

With human goalies, it's exactly the opposite, normally the goalie takes away the short side, and it's the one timer coming from the opposite corner that's the hardest to save, and relies on good d-men as much as reading the play by the goalie.

If you play both types of EASHL games, with and without goalie, it takes some adjusting between each given game. It's really hard to defend against some slippery guys in 6vs6 but it's also much more rewarding for the goalie and the d-men.