EA Forums - Banner

CR

Replies

• BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    BassMan_PC wrote: »
    VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    Please just get rid of CR. Its a highly inaccurate representation of a particular players skill set. Why was it brought into the game?

To help match users into more balanced games with each team being as even as possible

Are we allowed to know how the CR is calculated? There are defenders that play out of position the entire game, but as long as they get a point on the board, they have a great CR. Meanwhile, I drop back as the center to help out in place of the missing defensemen, and get punished for giving up odd man rushes. (This happened a lot last year I don't know if this still occurs this year as I haven't played drop in yet.)

However, I do play club and one game had 4 goals and 5 assists with a 70% faceoff percentage, while my brother played defense had 1 assist and 5 hits and 4 penalties. Yet he had a better CR than me. I know stats don't mean everything, but why does this happen? I use the on-ice trainer to see if it points out any of my flaws, but it really hasn't helped.

So in my eyes, the CR is flawed. If I can put up those points, which by the way is really rare for me, then I feel like I am doing something right. Yet the game seems to tell me otherwise.

CR is strictly based on wins and losses. If you lose against low CR players, you will take a big hit to your CR. If you win against low CR players, you will barely gain anything. If you win against higher CR players you will also gain more. It is a flawed system that is not based on the player's skill and is dependent on the team mates that you have.

I understand that it works this way in VS, but is it like this in EASHL as well? Has this been confirmed by the Dev team or is this based off of an assumption? Maybe I'm just completely oblivious to how it works. My CR that's given at the end game does not match my CR in the stats menu. I'm currently at a 564 and I have had games where I was above 700. So even if they are averaging the last 5-10 games, this doesn't make sense.

It is all about wins and losses. You can be a terrible player that plays on a good team that wins a lot and you will have a high CR. You can be a great player that mostly plays with terrible randoms and lose because of them and your CR will be low. Your CR is adjusted after every game based on whether you won or lost. It is not based on the last 5-10 game average. You can get 5 points in a game and you will not gain any CR if your team lost.
  • CR is so depressing.

Cant remember who on here said it but McDavid would have a terrible CR.

I know I'm by no means God at this game but I always feel like McDavid compared to a lot of my dropin teammates and my CR reflects that.

That was me. My only good quote on here. Putting it on my tombstone.

Still trying to bring my CR up from 3 days of early access with randoms.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »
    Please just get rid of CR. Its a highly inaccurate representation of a particular players skill set. Why was it brought into the game?

To help match users into more balanced games with each team being as even as possible

Are we allowed to know how the CR is calculated? There are defenders that play out of position the entire game, but as long as they get a point on the board, they have a great CR. Meanwhile, I drop back as the center to help out in place of the missing defensemen, and get punished for giving up odd man rushes. (This happened a lot last year I don't know if this still occurs this year as I haven't played drop in yet.)

However, I do play club and one game had 4 goals and 5 assists with a 70% faceoff percentage, while my brother played defense had 1 assist and 5 hits and 4 penalties. Yet he had a better CR than me. I know stats don't mean everything, but why does this happen? I use the on-ice trainer to see if it points out any of my flaws, but it really hasn't helped.

So in my eyes, the CR is flawed. If I can put up those points, which by the way is really rare for me, then I feel like I am doing something right. Yet the game seems to tell me otherwise.

CR is strictly based on wins and losses. If you lose against low CR players, you will take a big hit to your CR. If you win against low CR players, you will barely gain anything. If you win against higher CR players you will also gain more. It is a flawed system that is not based on the player's skill and is dependent on the team mates that you have.

I understand that it works this way in VS, but is it like this in EASHL as well? Has this been confirmed by the Dev team or is this based off of an assumption? Maybe I'm just completely oblivious to how it works. My CR that's given at the end game does not match my CR in the stats menu. I'm currently at a 564 and I have had games where I was above 700. So even if they are averaging the last 5-10 games, this doesn't make sense.

It is all about wins and losses. You can be a terrible player that plays on a good team that wins a lot and you will have a high CR. You can be a great player that plays with terrible randoms and lose because of them and your CR will be low. Your CR is adjusted after every game based on whether you won or lost. You can get 5 points in a game and you will not gain any CR if your team lost.

Again, that's how it is in EASHL though? I have ended a game and received a much different CR then what I entered the game with. That's the only reason I question it. Is it because of the issues CR is having this year?

It is all about wins and losses. You can be a terrible player that plays on a good team that wins a lot and you will have a high CR. You can be a great player that plays with terrible randoms and lose because of them and your CR will be low. Your CR is adjusted after every game based on whether you won or lost. You can get 5 points in a game and you will not gain any CR if your team lost.

Again, that's how it is in EASHL though? I have ended a game and received a much different CR then what I entered the game with. That's the only reason I question it. Is it because of the issues CR is having this year?

I only play EASHL. Like I mentioned before, how much you gain or lose is determined by the CR level of the competition. The bigger the gap between players, the more CR gained or lost. From past experience, I believe the maximum that you can gain or lose is 25 CR. So, you should not have any bigger change than 25 CR going from one game to another. The only other factor is if you quit a game or get dropped out of a game which is automatically -25 CR. Those games may not get synced right away and they may factor into the next CR calculation that you see.

Any other crazy fluctuations may be due to bugs.

• rcompton78 wrote: »
    CR is so depressing.

Cant remember who on here said it but McDavid would have a terrible CR.

I know I'm by no means God at this game but I always feel like McDavid compared to a lot of my dropin teammates and my CR reflects that.

That was me. My only good quote on here. Putting it on my tombstone.

Still trying to bring my CR up from 3 days of early access with randoms.

Come on now, you know you got that from me....

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/comment/1981912#Comment_1981912

I only play EASHL. Like I mentioned before, how much you gain or lose is determined by the CR level of the competition. The bigger the gap between players, the more CR gained or lost. From past experience, I believe the maximum that you can gain or lose is 25 CR. So, you should not have any bigger change than 25 CR going from one game to another. The only other factor is if you quit a game or get dropped out of a game which is automatically -25 CR. Those games may not get synced right away and they may factor into the next CR calculation that you see.

So basically, it's exactly the same as VS. So this is completely flawed in EASHL then. I guess it only matters for drop-ins though, so it doesn't affect me haha
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited September 2018

So basically, it's exactly the same as VS. So this is completely flawed in EASHL then. I guess it only matters for drop-ins though, so it doesn't affect me haha

Your CR rating is shared between club and drop-in. If you only play club, then you should have a good CR provided you are on a winning team.

Your CR rating is shared between club and drop-in. If you only play club, then you should have a good CR provided you are on a winning team.

I know. But if your going to tell me that CR is how they match up club games, then that would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I would assume you would be matched up based on the division you are in, thus making the CR pointless for a club game.
  • BassMan_PC
    352 posts Member
    edited September 2018

I know. But if your going to tell me that CR is how they match up club games, then that would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I would assume you would be matched up based on the division you are in, thus making the CR pointless for a club game.

Yeah, I think club matchmaking is based on division, club CR/overall ranking, and how many players in the dressing room.
  • My question though is why release an unfinished game with multiple glitches at the most basic level of gameplay?

Having bugs makes a game unfinished?

Releasing a game at full price when one of the game mode offered isn't working at all, I'd consider that unfinished yeah...
  • barrett098 wrote: »

not really. usually players with high cr are good and low ones are terrible. cr usually goes by win-loss ratio.

I understand that yes generally good players have higher CR than average or poor players.

Why should I lose 25 CR in a 2-1 loss in which i was second star. 13 hits 1 goal.
    Offence75% Defence100% Team play95%. I'm a stay at home D and a stickler for positional play. I can only control what I can do. If the offence is anemic thats not my fault. I can't make them score.

People should be rewarded for good all around play not just the win.

CR is solely dependant on wins/losses, even in EASHL.

Proof? Play a horrible game. Get like D+ for team play and don't get any points. Get a win and watch your CR go up by about +15.

Get 90% team play, 100% defensive and say 80% offensive, but get a loss. Your CR will go down.

Imagine now having 1 really good player, but his 4 teammates and the goalie are complete plugs. There is a chance he will lose and even if he scores 3 goals and gets 18 body checks, his CR will go down. Highly illogical format and honestly I don't think it should be fixed. It should be scrapped or completely redone.
  • barrett098 wrote: »

not really. usually players with high cr are good and low ones are terrible. cr usually goes by win-loss ratio.

So when i play a drop in game, and I have 100 on D and 100 on team, as a defenseman, and we lose 5-0 because I've got crap teammates, you're telling me CR is a good representation of skillset?
  • Coaches feedback, despite its flaws, is by far a better indicator of player skill than CR.
  • HockeyCityUSA
    504 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Coaches feedback, despite its flaws, is by far a better indicator of player skill than CR.

That's what I thought CR was. A rating based on your offensive/defensive/team play grades. Maybe I only thought this because it make sense...

The wins/losses makes sense for VS/HUT, but that's should not be implemented in EASHL.
  • Moxrox84
    270 posts Member
    edited September 2018

The wins/losses makes sense for VS/HUT, but that's should not be implemented in EASHL.

Exactly. This is "drop in". CR should have no bearing on the matchmaking system, especially since drop ins (in hockey) are never organized by skill level. I play in a couple of leagues here in DFW, and they are separated by skill level. A level does not compete against D level, and that's just simple logic.

However, none of the rinks here post a "skill level" drop in. Drop in is for anyone and everyone to show up and play. NHL 18, for all its gameplay flaws, at least got the drop in matchmaking right.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »

Exactly. This is "drop in". CR should have no bearing on the matchmaking system, especially since drop ins (in hockey) are never organized by skill level. I play in a couple of leagues here in DFW, and they are separated by skill level. A level does not compete against D level, and that's just simple logic.

However, none of the rinks here post a "skill level" drop in. Drop in is for anyone and everyone to show up and play. NHL 18, for all its gameplay flaws, at least got the drop in matchmaking right.

Here is an idea that some people may like...again I say may like...I don't know if I even do, but I'm just spitballing...

First, let letter grades decide matchmaking as I stated before. If you average C or lower, that's one skill level, a B-C another skill level and A and above the highest skill level. In order for this to work, the grading system would have to be graded a little bit more harsh though.

EA could implement certain goals for you to accomplish as player, similar to Be a Pro. Not only will this create better lobbies, but it will help teach everyone how to be better players!

Now for the "neat" idea that I'm still not 100% on.

If you fall in the lowest skill level, you are playing on the outdoor pond hockey rink with the casual clothing. If you progress up to the second tier skill level, you move on to the amateur rink in which you are upgrade to team jerseys and gear, and then finally the third tier will move you on up to the professional rink in which you go into full uniform.

The biggest issue with this may be the number of people in each tier. Meaning the grades would have to change around each tier levels off.

Again, this is just an idea and I know it's flawed, but it's something I suppose...
  • VIDSICIOUS wrote: »

There has to be a better way for match making. There are just way too many variables that make CR an undependable gauge in a multi player mode. Quitters, trolls, disconnects and ai all have an undesired impact on the game. This is completely out of my control and I get punished for this if my team loses regardless of how well I play.

It works better in VS simply because I have more control over what happens in the game. Even with the harum-scarum of dissatisfactory play by the Ai.

Coach feed back is a decent indicator of a players competency. It gives a good snapshot of a players strengths and weaknesses and does not solely focus on wins/losses/goals/assists.

Are there any plans to change this or at least remove it from EASHL altogether? Clearly its a flawed system and more trouble than its worth.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »

Here is an idea that some people may like...again I say may like...I don't know if I even do, but I'm just spitballing...

First, let letter grades decide matchmaking as I stated before. If you average C or lower, that's one skill level, a B-C another skill level and A and above the highest skill level. In order for this to work, the grading system would have to be graded a little bit more harsh though.

EA could implement certain goals for you to accomplish as player, similar to Be a Pro. Not only will this create better lobbies, but it will help teach everyone how to be better players!

If you fall in the lowest skill level, you are playing on the outdoor pond hockey rink with the casual clothing. If you progress up to the second tier skill level, you move on to the amateur rink in which you are upgrade to team jerseys and gear, and then finally the third tier will move you on up to the professional rink in which you go into full uniform.

The biggest issue with this may be the number of people in each tier. Meaning the grades would have to change around each tier levels off.

Again, this is just an idea and I know it's flawed, but it's something I suppose...

Thats an interesting idea! I'm not gonna try to poke holes in your thoughts.
    To keeps things simple why not just use the letter grades from coach feedback to balance matchmaking for EASHL.
  • VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »

Thats an interesting idea! I'm not gonna try to poke holes in your thoughts.
    To keeps things simple why not just use the letter grades from coach feedback to balance matchmaking for EASHL.

Definitely what I think they should do. The second part is just to make drop-ins a bit more interesting.
    If you're a noob, you play on the pond, if your alreall good, you play like a professional. I'm not sold on the idea, but I think this would make the mode feel less bland in my opinion...again I know this isn't everyone's opinion.