EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Drop In Matchmaking. From Broken, to Meh, to Broken.

1235Next

Replies

  • At all...

    I have had this problem since day 1, I bought the game when it came out and have not been able to play eashl.

    but the last 2 days, I found a way to make it work.

    if I goto nhl 3’s and play an online game their 1st, and then go back into eashl it finds games right away and I am able to play eashl.

    I tried it again today after work spent 10 minutes trying to get an eashl game going, population was high, search time was 31 secs.

    but it just sat and spinned until I got the “no opponent found error” i tried for 10 mins with no luck.

    so I went to nhl 3’s played 1 online game, went back to eashl and it connected right away...

    not sure if this is a fluke but it worked 2 days in a row now.



  • Gannmick wrote: »
    The fact that you can’t pick what server you want to play on in club or drop in is enough to put this game Dead On Arrival and have me asking for a refund. Just sad that this still isn’t sorted out.

    You actually CAN pick what server...

    You can pick what server your clubs located but that doesn’t mean you will be playing on that server... I live in Az and get matched up against people from New York all the time
    Well it probably searched through your server first then on to the next closest...I think that’s how it works
    Gannmick wrote: »
    The fact that you can’t pick what server you want to play on in club or drop in is enough to put this game Dead On Arrival and have me asking for a refund. Just sad that this still isn’t sorted out.

    You actually CAN pick what server...

    You can pick what server your clubs located but that doesn’t mean you will be playing on that server... I live in Az and get matched up against people from New York all the time
    Well it probably searched through your server first then on to the next closest...I think that’s how it works
    No, you most certainly CANNOT choose what server you play on, that’s why online seems broken for so many people. Now I back out every single game we are not home and will continue this all year to be 100% sure we play on our servers. It is pathetic that in the year 2018 you can’t play on your closest server. This will never be a competitive esports game. Just plaIn sad, because the gameplay seems much improved- it’s the best game on this gen by far. Too bad you can’t play a fair game in club 50% of the time unless you only play at home
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    Malazzan wrote: »
    So the thread is still active.

    There seems to be a cycle of 3 types of matchmaking/lobbies you'll get. (Keep in mind, this is only for the 6v6 Drop Ins)

    1. During most of the day, you'll have the matchmaking that gets the lobby together in about 5 seconds, but you'll get a actual 6v6 once every 30+ attempts, if ever.

    2. There seems to be that 2 or 3 hour period of time, during the evening, where the matchmaking gets the lobby together in about 1~3 minutes, but it's a full 6v6 lobby every time... and you know what? I'll take the 3 minutes if it can be a sure shot 6v6 all the time. It's not optimal, but it sure beats the garbage @ #1 & #3.

    3. After that sweet spot during the evening, the matchmaking just seems to stop working. You no longer find games. At all. "Failed to find..." is all you'll get... and the cycle begins anew the next day.

    At this point, playing actual 6v6 is possible just a few hours per day. "But Malazzan", you say, "You said you could get some lobbies throughout most of the day, why do you say it's bad?". Well, my dear friend, it's because I don't feel like playing 4v3, 3v3, 3v2 in 6v6. If I want to play against bots, I'll go in Franchise, Be a Pro, etc... If I'm in queue for a 6v6, I expect a 6v6 or AT LEAST something close (5v5) where the ridiculous bots don't ruin the game.

    This was "Number 1 priority" a week ago, some tuning and whatnot have come out since. What's the deal here? What's the ETA on a fix? I don't want the details of the issue, I'm no dev., it simply doesnt matter. I would just like the actual ETA on when we're looking at a fix. I don't play HUT, I'm not a whale. I already bought the game and it's too late for a refund, so just let us know already so we can shelf this aberration until it's in a appropriate state for us to play.

    Tuner was only for gameplay. I think we need a patch for matchmaking. As for the patch.. in one thread I heard October sometime. It was implied that a patch usually comes out in October as with past NHL games. Don't know though. Take that with a grain of salt. Unfortunely, with all the games releasing at the end of the year + the bugs in this game, I expect the playerbase to drop heavily. On XB1 where I play at least
    I would think that this problem...being that it is thier number one priority to fix...as stated by the producer...that a patch would be implemented as soon as one is available.
    It is a huge issue right now, and they know that.
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    Malazzan wrote: »
    So the thread is still active.

    There seems to be a cycle of 3 types of matchmaking/lobbies you'll get. (Keep in mind, this is only for the 6v6 Drop Ins)

    1. During most of the day, you'll have the matchmaking that gets the lobby together in about 5 seconds, but you'll get a actual 6v6 once every 30+ attempts, if ever.

    2. There seems to be that 2 or 3 hour period of time, during the evening, where the matchmaking gets the lobby together in about 1~3 minutes, but it's a full 6v6 lobby every time... and you know what? I'll take the 3 minutes if it can be a sure shot 6v6 all the time. It's not optimal, but it sure beats the garbage @ #1 & #3.

    3. After that sweet spot during the evening, the matchmaking just seems to stop working. You no longer find games. At all. "Failed to find..." is all you'll get... and the cycle begins anew the next day.

    At this point, playing actual 6v6 is possible just a few hours per day. "But Malazzan", you say, "You said you could get some lobbies throughout most of the day, why do you say it's bad?". Well, my dear friend, it's because I don't feel like playing 4v3, 3v3, 3v2 in 6v6. If I want to play against bots, I'll go in Franchise, Be a Pro, etc... If I'm in queue for a 6v6, I expect a 6v6 or AT LEAST something close (5v5) where the ridiculous bots don't ruin the game.

    This was "Number 1 priority" a week ago, some tuning and whatnot have come out since. What's the deal here? What's the ETA on a fix? I don't want the details of the issue, I'm no dev., it simply doesnt matter. I would just like the actual ETA on when we're looking at a fix. I don't play HUT, I'm not a whale. I already bought the game and it's too late for a refund, so just let us know already so we can shelf this aberration until it's in a appropriate state for us to play.

    Tuner was only for gameplay. I think we need a patch for matchmaking. As for the patch.. in one thread I heard October sometime. It was implied that a patch usually comes out in October as with past NHL games. Don't know though. Take that with a grain of salt. Unfortunely, with all the games releasing at the end of the year + the bugs in this game, I expect the playerbase to drop heavily. On XB1 where I play at least
    I would think that this problem...being that it is thier number one priority to fix...as stated by the producer...that a patch would be implemented as soon as one is available.
    It is a huge issue right now, and they know that.

    Hope so! I checked back during the NHL 18 release and they had a huge update/patch within 4 days of release.
  • MooseHunter10
    402 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Time for a server browser. No excuse to not have a server browser (lobbies).

    When you guys play Battlefield, do any of you use the Quick Matchmaking? Im server browser every single time, because I dont want to get dropped in a mostly empty game.
    EASHL player
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    Hope so! I checked back during the NHL 18 release and they had a huge update/patch within 4 days of release.

    That patch on September 19th should've been the day one patch but the day zero required so much work.

    Whenever this 1.2 patch comes I expect it to be huge.
  • EA_Roger
    1482 posts EA Community Manager
    Sharing the latest update on match making here:
    NHL_ONL_Producer

    First off, we would like to thank the community for their patience and assistance with helping us track down these issues. A number of you were helpful in communicating out details and providing screenshots and that has helped us with some initial theories. In question there are 2 main issues, matchmaking issues where we fail to find games, and the other is within the Dressing Room where users would see “Dressing Room Errors” or “Failed to Retrieve Data” errors within the Dressing Room. We have some updates that we would like to share for both issues

    Matchmaking:

    Over the last 2 weeks, we have heard a number of concerns and seen several posts on the forums and we have been actively reviewing our matchmaking success rates. As you have witnessed, success rates were particularly low in 6v6 and 3v3 Drop-In games, but not for any other game modes. On a nightly basis we have been tweaking matchmaking rules, to help us pinpoint where the issue may lie. This was a slower process than we wanted but we had to change one variable at a time and get data back from the next day’s population actively matchmaking to examine the results. After isolating many variables, we have discovered that the aggregated positional matchmaking, which from a tech side is different from last year, ended up being a contributing factor. An example of what is happening is that 12 users in a Drop-in 6v6 session may be searching for the “Skater” position, matchmaking is gathering those 12 skaters to form a game, then assigning positions within that group, however goalies are not Skaters, therefore, matchmaking would fail to form a session with that group. As a temporary workaround to this issue, we have reduced the “Full Session” requirements from Drop-in 3v3 to 6 players (which was 8) and Drop-in 6v6 to 10 players (which was 12). Doing this prevents the issue from occurring as there will never be a case where we have a full session and no room for a goalie to join. By making this change, goalies will still be able to match into sessions, however when a goalie does make it into a session, there will always have to be 1 ai player (due to the max player limit) until we can make the full solution fix. After these changes, please don’t fear choosing one of the aggregated positions to matchmake with as they will result in a higher chance of finding games.

    PS – Since these changes have been made, our matchmaking success rates have increased significantly, so at least you can enjoy drop-in games once again while we work on the full solution fix
    One other issue that will be addressed in patch 2, is that there was a timing issue where if a user joined a session as the Dressing Room timer reached the final few seconds, users could end up becoming stuck and lose functionality of their screen. Because of this, we needed to disable the ability to join a session that was already created as we don’t have the ability to restrict the join process during the specific timing window. Disabling the join session, also contributed to the matchmaking wait times and a lack of full sessions which we know many of our users enjoy playing in. For those that are wondering, once the join session is back in place, we will increase the timer in the Dressing Room to allow for more full sessions.

    Dressing Room errors:

    We have identified the root cause of the error and it was specific to PS4. We are in the midst of testing a work around fix to deploy to the server in hope that the issues are resolved until a proper client fix can be made in an upcoming patch.
  • I'm trying to wait out for a patch, but my interest in the game is at an all time low for me. Clubs keeps things fresh, but we play sparingly, which is fine because we're friends. I use drop ins to bridge that gap and I'm just not finding full games in 6s. The last game I played was me giving up and just going with what we had in the dressing room. With humans, game was 2v3 with the rest being AI. With about 30-something seconds left in a 0-0 game, AI throws a slow wrister at the net from the blue line and it goes in for the other team. Turned the game off after that. Haven't turned it on since.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!