EA Forums - Banner

Prototypical NHL Glitchers

magicmittsmase
139 posts Member
edited September 2018
I am a competitive VS player (top 200) and will occasionally play EASHL if enough buddies are on (no more solo drop-ins as we all know how broken that is right now). I'm getting so sick and tired of these typical, glitchy, guys who play this game and do nothing but abuse it's pitfalls. Don't get me wrong, the skating improvements made to this year's game has made it a dream but I am at whits end with the folks that do any of the below:

1) Skate the entire game with their stick to one side and just turning in circles because naturally when you hold your stick as far away from your body when playing hockey, no one can knock you off of the puck.

2) Get the puck - enter zone - skate directly to the goal line - continue circles in the corner until they can force a cross crease one timer that goes through with 2 D in front of the net or escape to bottom of circle for short side glitch goal.

3) Enter zone - skate inside - curl stick behind legs at an impossible angle - bury short side glitch wrister from 2 feet inside blue line with no traffic in front of the net.

Does anyone actually play hockey/know how top play in this franchise anymore? I know how to defend against all of the above mentioned but preventing for an entire game, OVER and OVER again is just boring and more like work than enjoying the game. Does anyone else see this and/or share my frustrations? I love the game of hockey and I understand it's a video game, but I just dont see the joy in dropping $60 to do the same thing game in and game out. Where's the innovation? Where's the skill-gap benefit? Tripling an opponents SOG and tripling an opponents TOA and losing games because of cheesy nonsense is what infuriates me. The sad part is, I'm more frustrated with the player base than I am EA at this point.

[edited for profanity]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

• I hear ya man. Fully agreed.

On one hand, it is kind of good because you know how to defend the same three plays over and over.

At the same time, it is so boring and predictable.

Most people only care about winning so they will try all the cheese they can to get those goals.
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    That stuff is always going to happen when youre playing really competitive games in the top few hundred. No matter what kind of game is made, people ranked that high will find what works for them and do it over and over again. These guys arent playing to enjoy the game, theyre playing to win at all costs. Winning is fun for them. Being ranked top 100 is rewarding to them. Its the drawback of online competitive gaming. On the plus side, at least you know what theyre going to do and how to defend it. Its just boring.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • All sports games are this way, playing realistic, real strategies, etc. can be fun and satisfying but in the end, learning what works "the best" in the video game is best plan of attack if winning and stats are the most important thing to you, if not... play your way win or lose.
  • I can't remember if it was EA or 2K, but there was a hockey game where if you juked or deked too much you had the tendancy to lose handle on the puck, like you know, how it actually happens. The casuality of having skaters that can turn and deke around you without penalty are people trying to spam the poke check to defend. Which leads to the developers punishing the pokers while continuing to allow free reign to the juke dekers. Which leads to too many penalties. Which leads to where we are now. :open_mouth:
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was EA or 2K, but there was a hockey game where if you juked or deked too much you had the tendancy to lose handle on the puck, like you know, how it actually happens. The casuality of having skaters that can turn and deke around you without penalty are people trying to spam the poke check to defend. Which leads to the developers punishing the pokers while continuing to allow free reign to the juke dekers. Which leads to too many penalties. Which leads to where we are now. :open_mouth:

yea guys who spin spin spin and never pass should lose balance, lose puck control, or straight up fall down sometimes. They don't even tire out at this point.
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was EA or 2K, but there was a hockey game where if you juked or deked too much you had the tendancy to lose handle on the puck, like you know, how it actually happens. The casuality of having skaters that can turn and deke around you without penalty are people trying to spam the poke check to defend. Which leads to the developers punishing the pokers while continuing to allow free reign to the juke dekers. Which leads to too many penalties. Which leads to where we are now. :open_mouth:

I get your point. You're not entirely wrong either.

However, once they are done dipsy doodling, they have to pull their stick back to shoot or pass. That is when you strike, not when they are spazzing out with the puck. Do that with decent timing and penalties go way down, also goals allowed will go down.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Your defense needs to be very aggressive if they decide to circle around until there's an opening. If you can't get to them, just play the trap, keep them on the outside and close any shooting/passing lanes.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    Your defense needs to be very aggressive if they decide to circle around until there's an opening. If you can't get to them, just play the trap, keep them on the outside and close any shooting/passing lanes.

Wait...isn’t the trap opposite of aggressive? If you want to be aggressive you should forecheck.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    ExSnake01 wrote: »

Wait...isn’t the trap opposite of aggressive? If you want to be aggressive you should forecheck.

Right, being aggressive by sending 1-2 people on the puck carrier. This is mainly done to overwhelm him and force checks. It's risky though because you can leave dangerous passing lanes open. That's usually how you have to approach players that like to circle around constantly.

The less aggressive approach is to trap but use one guy to pressure the puck carrier. Always keep him between puck and net at all times. It's like one large bubble that never breaks apart. This is the other option if plan a doesn't work. The main problem with this defense is there's room behind the net and you are vulnerable to point shots.

Post edited by ExSnake01 on
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »

Right, being aggressive by sending one or sometimes two people on the puck carrier. That's usually how you have to approach players that like to circle around constantly.

The less aggressive approach is to trap but use one guy to pressure the puck carrier. But always keep him between puck and net at all tiomes. This is the other option if you are having a hard time stop getting to him.
    I never chase those wiggle worms...just let them spaz out in the corners ... then bump them off the puck when they are done dancing.