EA Forums - Banner

Sbisa, Bryzgalov, is that you?

majjama_26
175 posts Member
edited September 2018
Gone are the days of just having to worry about your own ineptitude in losing games. Now, with seconds left in the game, you too can have your very own AI float a no man's pass into the slot where an opposing player waits while the goalie goes down to make a save.. outside of the crease. This is NHL. :D

cwnf7TU.gif

Replies

• HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    He was trying to pass to you...but you turned...and moved up ice as the pass came.
    Also....If green would of stayed in his lane... up the boards...he probably would of got the pass ...but he skated right into to middle of the ice.
  • He was trying to pass to you...but you turned...and moved up ice as the pass came.

I just thought he was trying to pass to the other D just standing there.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I mean MAYBE...but it looks like he tries to do a quick little pass to you (or whoever is RED) because green takes himself out of the play by cutting into the middle... and as the pass comes... red turns up and away from the play.
  • Looking back, it would have been nice to do a clear when there was no one in front of him. I would've taken the icing. I'm wondering do the AI even do even strength clears from the defensive zone? Another funny thing is the other AI D trying to do a stick lift about 10 feet from the intercepting player.
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    Looking back, it would have been nice to do a clear when there was no one in front of him. I would've taken the icing. I'm wondering do the AI even do even strength clears from the defensive zone? Another funny thing is the other AI D trying to do a stick lift about 10 feet from the intercepting player.

I hear that...and I don’t think they do. That’s some high level hockey IQ as even most human players wouldn’t do it.
    Everyone just tries to make a pass no matter what. They do a nice job of dumping into the zone at the blue line...but ya ...I don’t think they are programmed just to take a icing if in trouble.
    Looking back, it would have been nice to do a clear when there was no one in front of him. I would've taken the icing. I'm wondering do the AI even do even strength clears from the defensive zone? Another funny thing is the other AI D trying to do a stick lift about 10 feet from the intercepting player.

I hear that...and I don’t think they do. That’s some high level hockey IQ as even most human players wouldn’t do it.
    Everyone just tries to make a pass no matter what. They do a nice job of dumping into the zone at the blue line...but ya ...I don’t think they are programmed just to take a icing if in trouble.

Yeah. I'll put that in my mental wishlist. It's certainly good to have a back and forth on here without someone saying this is completely my fault, or a snarky remark because of the negative connotations. Completely agree with you here, Cat.
    majjama_26 wrote: »

Yeah. I'll put that in my mental wishlist. It's certainly good to have a back and forth on here without someone saying this is completely my fault, or a snarky remark because of the negative connotations. Completely agree with you here, Cat.

Cool man! It is nice to have a civil conversation while discussing this game, and even at times to have different opinions.
    All good!
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    My advice when the CPU has the puck is... try not to make to many sudden movements even drop behind him to support the puck and or skate/glide in a open lane. The CPIU isn’t perfect ...nor should it be...but if your patient and get yourself into a good position... they will hook you up with really good passes or keep carryin it/ dump in... if your covered.
  • The AI definitely tried to pass that back to the other AI D in front of his own net, for some reason....

The goalie kind of overplayed the puck in the corner, but in all honesty Red should have picked up that open man in the slot, and maybe that's what the goalie was considering as he overplayed the puck a bit.

And as you guys said, pretty sure the AI is not programmed to just dump a puck and get icing if the situation calls for it. They are programmed to pass or shoot, and if they do dump, it will usually be after crossing the red line, unless on the pk of course.
    AI does make mistakes too, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Mimics humans to an extent and they do panic a bit when you pressure them really hard. They are beasts on forechecking though.
  • Yeah what was red doing on that backcheck? Where was he going? lol
  • It was a very quick turnover. Twice. Once the AI stole the puck we all tried to quickly transition up the ice. When the AI passes back into the zone, we're basically still moving up. If Red had a half second more he probably would have got the guy before he set up in front. I'm not familiar with AI settings, passing back into the zone aside, no D man in any league I know of would've vacated the front of the net to chase the puck carrier when an opposing player is skating to the net. One of these days though, like in NHL 2030, the AI will learn to think on the fly. Until then, the lesson is probably to put a human D back there. :)
  • Looks like red called for a pass on that play. It would explain why it went to the D because red immediately heads up ice like he’s expecting a pass the moment the ai had the puck and turned away from it instead.

The ai tends to default pass to the nearest open player when someone calls for a pass & no lanes are open to them.
  • majjama_26
    175 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Looks like red called for a pass on that play. It would explain why it went to the D because red immediately heads up ice like he’s expecting a pass the moment the ai had the puck and turned away from it instead.

The ai tends to default pass to the nearest open player when someone calls for a pass & no lanes are open to them.

Nope. I can post the original video if you'd like when I get home. No one called for a pass. We don't usually call for passes that close to the AI. Either the AI will ignore it or it gets intercepted.
    Looks like red called for a pass on that play. It would explain why it went to the D because red immediately heads up ice like he’s expecting a pass the moment the ai had the puck and turned away from it instead.

Looks like the computer passed to red for sure (even though he didn’t call for it) and right as the pass came, red turned up ice.
  • I wish they would take the call for the pass button out of the game. There is always at least one guy that thinks he’s a hockey god and he should have the puck all the time. Get open and the AI will get you the puck. Why anyone thinks that the ai should be able to send a pass through 2 or 3 defenders and put it right on the tape is beyond me.
  • I wish they would take the call for the pass button out of the game. There is always at least one guy that thinks he’s a hockey god and he should have the puck all the time. Get open and the AI will get you the puck. Why anyone thinks that the ai should be able to send a pass through 2 or 3 defenders and put it right on the tape is beyond me.

I am quite torn on intercepted passes on the game. On one end, I don't like the fact that hard passes can be intercepted to the stick and controlled. Soft passes, sure, but hard passes should usually go off sticks if there's one in the way. Once in a blue moon clean intercepts should happen. On the other end, I too like that OP AI passes, especially to break players heading up ice, have been curtailed.