EA Forums - Banner

Latest Update: WoC Drop-in Matchmaking and Dressing Room Errors

Prev13456731
First off, we would like to thank the community for their patience and assistance with helping us track down these issues. A number of you were helpful in communicating out details and providing screenshots and that has helped us with some initial theories. In question there are 2 main issues, matchmaking issues where we fail to find games, and the other is within the Dressing Room where users would see “Dressing Room Errors” or “Failed to Retrieve Data” errors within the Dressing Room. We have some updates that we would like to share for both issues

Matchmaking:
Over the last 2 weeks, we have heard a number of concerns and seen several posts on the forums and we have been actively reviewing our matchmaking success rates. As you have witnessed, success rates were particularly low in 6v6 and 3v3 Drop-In games, but not for any other game modes. On a nightly basis we have been tweaking matchmaking rules, to help us pinpoint where the issue may lie. This was a slower process than we wanted but we had to change one variable at a time and get data back from the next day’s population actively matchmaking to examine the results. After isolating many variables, we have discovered that the aggregated positional matchmaking, which from a tech side is different from last year, ended up being a contributing factor. An example of what is happening is that 12 users in a Drop-in 6v6 session may be searching for the “Skater” position, matchmaking is gathering those 12 skaters to form a game, then assigning positions within that group, however goalies are not Skaters, therefore, matchmaking would fail to form a session with that group. As a temporary workaround to this issue, we have reduced the “Full Session” requirements from Drop-in 3v3 to 6 players (which was 8) and Drop-in 6v6 to 10 players (which was 12). Doing this prevents the issue from occurring as there will never be a case where we have a full session and no room for a goalie to join. By making this change, goalies will still be able to match into sessions, however when a goalie does make it into a session, there will always have to be 1 ai player (due to the max player limit) until we can make the full solution fix. After these changes, please don’t fear choosing one of the aggregated positions to matchmake with as they will result in a higher chance of finding games.

PS – Since these changes have been made, our matchmaking success rates have increased significantly, so at least you can enjoy drop-in games once again while we work on the full solution fix

One other issue that will be addressed in patch 2, is that there was a timing issue where if a user joined a session as the Dressing Room timer reached the final few seconds, users could end up becoming stuck and lose functionality of their screen. Because of this, we needed to disable the ability to join a session that was already created as we don’t have the ability to restrict the join process during the specific timing window. Disabling the join session, also contributed to the matchmaking wait times and a lack of full sessions which we know many of our users enjoy playing in. For those that are wondering, once the join session is back in place, we will increase the timer in the Dressing Room to allow for more full sessions.

Dressing Room errors:
We have identified the root cause of the error and it was specific to PS4. We are in the midst of testing a work around fix to deploy to the server in hope that the issues are resolved until a proper client fix can be made in an upcoming patch.

Replies

• Thank you so much for letting us know about these issues, props guys for pinpointing the issue and getting a fix relatively quick. Cant wait to see the difference. :)
  • Couldnt you just have removed the SKT option to fix the issue? Thus letting us still play 6v6. Also if im searching for a 6v6 (5v5) game i dont want to play a 3v3 game. I for one dont mind waiting a min to find a full game. Ive done 10 searches without one full game (longest search time was about 30 seconds) still seems broken from a standalone dropin.
  • monz wrote: »
    Couldnt you just have removed the SKT option to fix the issue? Thus letting us still play 6v6. Also if im searching for a 6v6 (5v5) game i dont want to play a 3v3 game. I for one dont mind waiting a min to find a full game. Ive done 10 searches without one full game (longest search time was about 30 seconds) still seems broken from a standalone dropin.
    It’s not just the skater position it’s all aggregate positions so “skater” “forward” etc. not ideal for now but a full fix will be coming when we can join already created sessions to fill spots. Otherwise there is a fine balance between waiting a long time vs finding a full game.

• HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    monz wrote: »
    Couldnt you just have removed the SKT option to fix the issue? Thus letting us still play 6v6. Also if im searching for a 6v6 (5v5) game i dont want to play a 3v3 game. I for one dont mind waiting a min to find a full game. Ive done 10 searches without one full game (longest search time was about 30 seconds) still seems broken from a standalone dropin.
    It’s not just the skater position it’s all aggregate positions so “skater” “forward” etc. not ideal for now but a full fix will be coming when we can join already created sessions to fill spots. Otherwise there is a fine balance between waiting a long time vs finding a full game.

So will picking a specific position be more helpful with the search?
    @NHL_ONL_Producer
  • Thank you
  • Follisimo
    1047 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    monz wrote: »

nvm saw the update and what it consists of. Hopefully it gets fixed soon
    Post edited by Follisimo on

• No luck tonight ...games were loading quicker...but still 3v3 in a 6s attempt.
  • No luck tonight ...games were loading quicker...but still 3v3 in a 6s attempt.

Was just in a 5v5 but it’s pretty late/early in the morning so que times are still kind of long (PS4)

Same. Never got a full 6 tonight. Is this new thing supposed to allow people to join after the lobby is formed?
  • If they would just have listened in the 1st place and created lobbies where people could create games this stupid stuff wouldn't happen.

• HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    majjama_26 wrote: »
    No luck tonight ...games were loading quicker...but still 3v3 in a 6s attempt.

Same. Never got a full 6 tonight. Is this new thing supposed to allow people to join after the lobby is formed?

I’m not sure...to tired to reread the explanation again.
  • monz
    904 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    After trying play all night i came to the conclusion that this has only made things worse. Not only have i not gotten in one full game all night (over 250 search attempts) closest was a 5v4. But now when were grouped up we have to play with at least 1 AI no matter what. Which leads to alot of back outs if goalies dont match. This seems to have done more harm then good. How about this as a fix, open the beta back up lobbies worked great.
    Post edited by monz on
  • Still getting error code after clicking chel,not even a chance to attempt match making.been this way since the Friday of realease,almost 2 weeks now.

So will picking a specific position be more helpful with the search?
    @NHL_ONL_Producer
    Picking an exact position will always have a harder time finding a match. You can do it for sure but if you don’t find anything I would try the aggregated positions. They still work
    After trying play all night i came to the conclusion that this has only made things worse. Not only have i not gotten in one full game all night (over 250 search attempts) closest was a 5v4. But now when were grouped up we have to play with at least 1 AI no matter what. Which leads to alot of back outs if goalies dont match. This seems to have done more harm then good. How about this as a fix, open the beta back up lobbies worked great.

The changes won’t solve for full sessions, we need the ability to join a session once it’s created to be turned back on. We can’t do that until patch 2 comes out because it will cause a lot of freezes if someone joins late. What we can do is make the search times a bit longer so we create a session with more people in them. Now that our success rates are higher we can do that. This won’t solve the problem, but increase the chances of getting into a 4v4 or 5v5 game.
  • Still getting error code after clicking chel,not even a chance to attempt match making.been this way since the Friday of realease,almost 2 weeks now.
    This issue we have identified the issue, just working on the fix and need it thoroughly tested
  • I know what you did but it's not working.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    @LiveFromThe2150 , would you mind elaborating on that further? It might give us some further insight on the issues at hand.

Thanks
  • Now that they have pinpointed the problems, I'm excited to see what kind of goodies we all recieve for spending our cash on early access that did not work.
  • So basically were looking at a nov/dec till drops is at 100% again... just like last year with the looping that didnt get fixed till dec