EA Forums - Banner

Latest Update: WoC Drop-in Matchmaking and Dressing Room Errors

Replies

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Yeah, he's talking about Time To Live settings (TTL) which are usually in the DHCP Server section of your router firmware. And it's in seconds; by default your TTL should be 14400 seconds or 4 hours. Basically he's suggesting to let your DHCP Lease an IP to your system for 40 seconds and then renew it... Don't know why that would fix things with EA's NHL, but I would imagine it would create HAVOC on your home network.

If it's in hours it makes more sense, but again I fail to understand why that would affect NHL 19's servers causing the errors, but if it worked for him it's worth a shot.

Umm no, this isn’t how TTL works. What he’s referring to is UPnP which is a networking protocol that allows devices to automatically discover other devices on the network and automatically control port forwarding (read: potential security risk!)

The UPnP advertisement period (defaulted to 1440 minutes) is how often the router broadcasts (floods the entire network range) of packets that basically tell devices on the network about itself which in-turn makes other devices associate to the UPnP directory/table. This value being lower actually increases your network traffic and would slow down your internet as more broadcast floods would happen (hence the 1440 default which is also the max duration for UPnP advertisement).

TTL (which is the same for UPnP as it is for Cisco) from a routing standpoint is an 8-bit value (starts at 255) on a packet that is decreased by 1 every time is handles by a networking device. This value is used to mitigate routing loops. When the value reaches 0, the router will discard the packet.

In summary, UPnP could help with the NHL problem as UPnP has automatic port-forwarding, but this assumes the Xbox is capable of doing UPnP. I’ve read that some routers have empty UPnP Portmapping tables despite having Xbox’s on the network so you’d have to confirm that your Xbox’s IP is in the table after enabling UPnP.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Nothing but lies, two weeks ago it was stress testing a fix. Now they say they are still searching for the cause of it. We are going into November. I can't speak for everyone on here. But with all these patches and still not addressing the number 1 problem with the game I have absolutely no patience left on this issue.

It's not lies. That's how software development goes. You think you find a fix, but it turns out not to be the right resolution. It happens. It's common in development. This is why so many companies don't give constant updates to their community. Usually they wait until they are very sure the update is truly going to fix the issue before it's announced. Because what happens are posts like yours that spread toxicity. It's not like they want people to have this problem. It'll be addressed when it's addressed. I can't imagine they have a fix and are putting Cs and As on jerseys instead. This is one of the top issues people are mad about. They aren't delaying a fix because they like the negative sentiment. This also happened with the home captain lag a couple years ago. It took a few months to get it resolved. If it truly were as easy as you think, it would have been done by now.

Difference being they vehemently denied that captains lag was a real problem that existed until the end of December/early January that year, and then we finally got a fix in February. When leagues were over and the game was dead. Lol

this one they have acknowledged existed, thought they had fixed twice now, promised and then failed to deliver daily or even weekly updates in this thread three times alone, and have been 100% mum on the situation for at least a month now. the only "update" we have is a tweet (to a person, not the public) from a non-verified twitter account for a community manager... one that came almost 2 weeks after a different community mod posted on the forums: "Great news, we found the problem and a fix is coming!" and then never posted again. the communication has been embarrassingly bad.

i don't mind if the problem is just taking a while to track down and fix. i really don't. i understand that is part of the process. but don't promise us daily or weekly updates on the problem and then disappear for over a month. don't mark the thread as "Solved" when it obviously hasn't been. don't have your EA Support Chat people tell customers that there are no issues with the game and that its working fine. don't have random accounts who weren't ever affected by this problem come into the thread saying "EASHL WOrKs FiNe FoR Me It MuSt Be uR [email protected] OpEn PortS Bro!" to try to discredit the fact that hundreds of people still can't play the game. I mean look, they have made sure that there isn't even a thread dedicated to this issue on reddit -- it is like the problem doesn't exist. they have swept it under the rug and i doubt they are even working on it anymore.

I don't recall they denied it existed. If I'm wrong, sorry for that, but I'm pretty sure they said they were looking in to it. Daily updates make no sense. People just get mad when you tell them there's no update. They have repeated said it's being worked on. I can't imagine a company would purposely not fix a problem effecting so many people when they truly had a fix. They thought they found one, but apparently it wasn't the resolution that it seemed to be at first. These things take time to do right. It's never as easy as it seems. EA has directly said the problem is with them, but some people have also said they were able to open ports to get this to work so it's worth a shot. Since they just recently had an update where they said it's still being looked in to, I doubt it's been swept under the rug.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Yeah, he's talking about Time To Live settings (TTL) which are usually in the DHCP Server section of your router firmware. And it's in seconds; by default your TTL should be 14400 seconds or 4 hours. Basically he's suggesting to let your DHCP Lease an IP to your system for 40 seconds and then renew it... Don't know why that would fix things with EA's NHL, but I would imagine it would create HAVOC on your home network.

If it's in hours it makes more sense, but again I fail to understand why that would affect NHL 19's servers causing the errors, but if it worked for him it's worth a shot.

Umm no, this isn’t how TTL works. What he’s referring to is UPnP which is a networking protocol that allows devices to automatically discover other devices on the network and automatically control port forwarding (read: potential security risk!)

The UPnP advertisement period (defaulted to 1440 minutes) is how often the router broadcasts (floods the entire network range) of packets that basically tell devices on the network about itself which in-turn makes other devices associate to the UPnP directory/table. This value being lower actually increases your network traffic and would slow down your internet as more broadcast floods would happen (hence the 1440 default which is also the max duration for UPnP advertisement).

TTL (which is the same for UPnP as it is for Cisco) from a routing standpoint is an 8-bit value (starts at 255) on a packet that is decreased by 1 every time is handles by a networking device. This value is used to mitigate routing loops. When the value reaches 0, the router will discard the packet.

In summary, UPnP could help with the NHL problem as UPnP has automatic port-forwarding, but this assumes the Xbox is capable of doing UPnP. I’ve read that some routers have empty UPnP Portmapping tables despite having Xbox’s on the network so you’d have to confirm that your Xbox’s IP is in the table after enabling UPnP.

Ah. That makes sense. I assumed he was talking about TTL because my crappy ISP provided router doesn't have any of those options. I don't think I even have the option to turn on or off UPnP...

Also, I thought this was a way to fix the issue on Playstation, not Xbox. I've been having no issues with DRE on Xbox One. I think I've had one DRE since the game came out so far. The biggest issue I've seen on the Xbox is when playing LG games in challenge club, many times it will not find when searching for a private game. Then we all have to go into our Blocked list and make sure someone's not blocking someone else... It's so tedious and annoying.
  • The game has been out for over 6 weeks and the problem has existed since Beta. It’s past the point of patience. We’re not talking about a minor bug. Many of us, for all intents and purposes, still can’t play a game we bought a month and a half ago. That’s, quite frankly, embarrassing. Asking jilted consumers to be patient at this point is just annoying and frustrating.
  • I see that the "fix" was tentitively scheduled for the 26th of this month, last night I could not get a game in 3v3.

Was the patch delayed or did it just fail?
  • Nevermind, I read through the thread. Should have guessed.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Nothing but lies, two weeks ago it was stress testing a fix. Now they say they are still searching for the cause of it. We are going into November. I can't speak for everyone on here. But with all these patches and still not addressing the number 1 problem with the game I have absolutely no patience left on this issue.

It's not lies. That's how software development goes. You think you find a fix, but it turns out not to be the right resolution. It happens. It's common in development. This is why so many companies don't give constant updates to their community. Usually they wait until they are very sure the update is truly going to fix the issue before it's announced. Because what happens are posts like yours that spread toxicity. It's not like they want people to have this problem. It'll be addressed when it's addressed. I can't imagine they have a fix and are putting Cs and As on jerseys instead. This is one of the top issues people are mad about. They aren't delaying a fix because they like the negative sentiment. This also happened with the home captain lag a couple years ago. It took a few months to get it resolved. If it truly were as easy as you think, it would have been done by now.

Difference being they vehemently denied that captains lag was a real problem that existed until the end of December/early January that year, and then we finally got a fix in February. When leagues were over and the game was dead. Lol

this one they have acknowledged existed, thought they had fixed twice now, promised and then failed to deliver daily or even weekly updates in this thread three times alone, and have been 100% mum on the situation for at least a month now. the only "update" we have is a tweet (to a person, not the public) from a non-verified twitter account for a community manager... one that came almost 2 weeks after a different community mod posted on the forums: "Great news, we found the problem and a fix is coming!" and then never posted again. the communication has been embarrassingly bad.

i don't mind if the problem is just taking a while to track down and fix. i really don't. i understand that is part of the process. but don't promise us daily or weekly updates on the problem and then disappear for over a month. don't mark the thread as "Solved" when it obviously hasn't been. don't have your EA Support Chat people tell customers that there are no issues with the game and that its working fine. don't have random accounts who weren't ever affected by this problem come into the thread saying "EASHL WOrKs FiNe FoR Me It MuSt Be uR [email protected] OpEn PortS Bro!" to try to discredit the fact that hundreds of people still can't play the game. I mean look, they have made sure that there isn't even a thread dedicated to this issue on reddit -- it is like the problem doesn't exist. they have swept it under the rug and i doubt they are even working on it anymore.

This guy gets it. Particularly that last paragraph.
  • Got one game tonight and then got three cancellation freezes in a row. Time for Red Dead tonight.
  • Should be ashamed of themselves.... AWFUL.
  • No errors today, but the club EASHL felt really 'sticky' all day, talk about fatman lag?
  • Tried twice this evening and got games both times.

Would have had more if people didn’t leave the dressing room looking for some perfect kind of match up
  • It's odd how you can get thrown into a few 3v3 games that never get started, but then you'll find a few 6's in a row. Clearly, the issue isn't entirely fixed, but it's certainly better than it was.

Still an awful mess they made of it this year, even despite the improvements on the ice.

Seriously, EA, you may want to open a dialogue with us to try and understand what your customers want. Clearly, you don't.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    It's odd how you can get thrown into a few 3v3 games that never get started, but then you'll find a few 6's in a row. Clearly, the issue isn't entirely fixed, but it's certainly better than it was.

Still an awful mess they made of it this year, even despite the improvements on the ice.

Seriously, EA, you may want to open a dialogue with us to try and understand what your customers want. Clearly, you don't.

I think it's pretty clear they want people to find games. They listen pretty well, but how do you satisfy a diverse playerbase who all feel that what they want is what everyone wants? . You see the devs here commenting. They also have said they see everything, but they don't comment on it all. With what was added this year, I have to think they're more in touch with the community than you think. Just because the DRE issue isn't fixed, it doesn't mean they aren't listening. It's obviously a complicated problem that isn't easy to resolve.
  • In 10 games (all 3v3) I've frozen cancelling a search twice since yesterday AM which is a huge improvement.
  • jiajji wrote: »
    In 10 games (all 3v3) I've frozen cancelling a search twice since yesterday AM which is a huge improvement.

Weird enough, I tried to cancel a search 3 times in a row last night, and all 3 were successful. So I guess there is improvement. Dunno if it's just a coincidence, but I doubt it.
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    @WainGretSki & @jiajji glad to hear there is some improvement.

I made this post in the tech section sharing it here as well. This is the latest update we have on the subject at hand:
    We are still investigating into what is causing Dressing Room errors for EASHL. We are still working on it and are trying find out what the exact cause is in order to solve it. We appreciate your patience as we work to address the issue.

Source: https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233288/nhl-19-patch-1-3-0-october-26th-2-am-pdt/p1

We know this is painful situation for you folks and we aren't trying to sweep this under the rug, this is why we spoke about it in our latest patch and why this very thread is announced in this section. Two months is a long wait for anyone, the mere fact that you are still commenting here even if it's to vent, it shows you are passionate about this game. We know this and it means a lot. I ensure you we are doing everything within our power to solve this. The root cause has been extremely difficult to pinpoint for us, you can even see yourselves that some nights are better than others. Given how sporadic the error is, the fact that it only affects PlayStation players, the fact it seems to affect some networks & not others, all of this factors and much more impact tracking down the root cause. We are using as many resources as possible to get to the bottom of this, I not it may not mean much but I can promise you that.

I want to keep this thread at the top of the forum to give it as much visibility as possible however I will be removing any replies discussing any other issues to avoid this topic being derailed, feel free to post them in relevant conversations.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience this has been causing you since launch, your experience and thank you for your cooperation on this matter.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »
    glad to hear there is some improvement.
    The latest patch works for me. The DRE problem disappeared. I've also noticed (in lobby) that there is more people able to join the game without the DRE, so it seems that the patch works for them too. Besides, since the last patch there are undisrupted full 6v6 games in Drop-ins, and for the first time in NHL 19 I am able to play such games with full squads on both sides (before the patch it was 4v3, 5v3, 4v2 etc.).
  • So me and my two brothers play mostly club and we are still getting dressing room errors and it seem to happen to only my one brother 90% he gets dropped! He has tried everything with his modem and router nothing helps, this is a game breaking bug that is still not fixed. We have to try sometimes up 3-5 times before we even get a game going, which can take up 45 minuets just to play one dam game of hockey.

Is anyone else still getting dressing room errors?

I’m sorry EA you should be embarrassed with this game breaking bug! To release a product in this state and still be proud of it 🤦🏼‍♂️

When is this going to be fixed EA ?
  • I wrote about a quicker work around and nobody said boo.
  • I wrote about a quicker work around and nobody said boo.

What’s the work around ?