EA Forums - Banner

Network Performance graph

Kuus2
221 posts Member
edited September 2018
How is the network performance graph relevant? What does it measure?

It most definitely does not appear to measure the REAL LIFE latency between me and my opponent.

I play multiple games with green bars, ping in 20s, the whole game feels like 200ms lag easy. Most noticably the whole game freezes multiple times during the games for about a second, yet network performance happily chirps 18ms highest reponse time?

If the network graph does not catch those big freezes, how does it show the player the constant micro-lags that create a constant delay in the responsiveness? You can see that stutter during breaks.

My point in making this thread is: I am convinced the connection issues in the game are not due to the connection between the players. There are other connections causing delay in the game.

Also, TV/monitor delay is off-topic here. It's each players responsibility to make sure they input lag offline is good. I have gone as far as using my phones high FPS video to ensure the game mode in my TV works as intented.

Replies

• I guess it's simply your ping to the EA server, in other words quite useless in 6vs6 game as measure of overall connection quality.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I doubt EA has many servers in scandinavia. For example Microsoft has their ”closest” servers in Netherlands. The ping most likely is the ping to my opponent.

Problem IMO is there are synchronous connections to EA servers, which cause the real performance to be worse.
  • deadman9999
    877 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes the game will freeze for like 2 seconds than warp speeds to normal... This started to happen In NHL18 in August... If you pause the game after this happens and check network performance right away you will notice that you have packet loss.. for NHL19 happens more in Drops than in Clubs
  • Hey @Kuus2 where are you located?
  • next time i get the freeze i will record the video on my PS4 and show the network performance losing packet loss for the devs to see the issue
  • just a bit of timbit info, when this issue hit NHL18 the freeze would happen more in clubs than drops, now its opposite for me now more in drops than clubs
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I am in Finland.

My packet loss has been 0%. I do not recall seeing packet loss in NHL, and in general if it happens something is wrong in general.

Problematic thing is that while I am able to record the longer cuts in game, the constant delay (which way greater than shown in network perf) is impossible to show.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    I am in Finland.

My packet loss has been 0%. I do not recall seeing packet loss in NHL, and in general if it happens something is wrong in general.

you have to check the network performance as soon as it happens if you wait to long the packet loss will go back to 0% I will record a video and post it here next time to show everyone
  • what i do as soon at it freezes i pause the game even if its still in play and do the network performance
    I doubt EA has many servers in scandinavia. For example Microsoft has their ”closest” servers in Netherlands. The ping most likely is the ping to my opponent.

Problem IMO is there are synchronous connections to EA servers, which cause the real performance to be worse.

Are you talking about HUT? That's pvp so the ping probably is to your opponent yes. But in EASHL etc. you have servers certainly, and the ping would measure the connection to the server, right?

I don't think there's any servers in the Nordic countries, I've heard Irland and Germany (or was it the Netherlands) mentioned. Not entirely sure.
  • Don’t forget. Whatever your Ping is... double it. The number displayed is the one way number.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Kuus2 wrote: »

Are you talking about HUT? That's pvp so the ping probably is to your opponent yes. But in EASHL etc. you have servers certainly, and the ping would measure the connection to the server, right?

I don't think there's any servers in the Nordic countries, I've heard Irland and Germany (or was it the Netherlands) mentioned. Not entirely sure.

No the freezes is In EASHL drops mostly and sometimes club
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Yes HUT and I imagine it is ping against my opponent. It’s just that even if you are careful to only choose greens and have good ping between the players, that is not enough to ensure a good experience. That’s why I question the relevancy.

Just earlier played two green games back-to-back. DIV6 game (~18ms) was fine. Then jumped to HUT champs (~27ms) where my controls were severely delayed throughout the game. I wouldn’t even dare to claim I would notice a difference between 18ms and 27ms ping in any game, delay was way more.
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Yes HUT and I imagine it is ping against my opponent. It’s just that even if you are careful to only choose greens and have good ping between the players, that is not enough to ensure a good experience. That’s why I question the relevancy.

Just earlier played two green games back-to-back. DIV6 game (~18ms) was fine. Then jumped to HUT champs (~27ms) where my controls were severely delayed throughout the game. I wouldn’t even dare to claim I would notice a difference between 18ms and 27ms ping in any game, delay was way more.

Wireless or hard connection?
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Wireless or hard connection?

Wired. I also relatively recently replaced my router-modem as the old one died. I do not experience connection issues in general.

My biggest grief is that just looking at the green bars and latency simply does not guarantee a good experience.

Since my last message I had green with 17-19ms ping (another Finn judging from name), but throughout the game all my controls were delayed as if I were playing someone from UK for example.

I would love if EA tried to play HUT on their test benches with perfect connection between players, but EVERYTHING else throttled down.

• repetius
    30 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Try online versus. Personally i rarely have any delay there, but very often In HUT, regardless of ping. Gameplay In online versus feels always somehow crisper. And I'm from Finland also.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I now have my PS4 Pro on NAT1 mode. Does not seem to affect what I am experiencing.

Played 6 green bar games, at first 4 went as expected, 5th was more delayed but ping was 29ms avg (50ms high). 6th was the bomb with 11ms avg, 14ms high and delay throughout the game easily over 100ms. (Fatman lag)

On the 6th game all animations and replays were stuttering noticably. Went to practice mode right after the game and everything was fast as usual.

Long and probably useless video of 5th and 6th games:

Network graphs at 2:31, 11:50 and 19:42. Very delayed 6th game starts at 4:47. At 8:04 I am looking at replay where I seriously felt the delay, couldn't keep up with the guy. The guy was fresh off the bench.

Curiously, stuttering during intermissions are practically unnoticable at the lower FPS, they definitely were noticable while playing.
    Post edited by Kuus2 on
  • I have similar issues In HUT. Try online versus just for comparison. I have that stuttering in many HUT games but not on versus.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    repetius wrote: »
    I have similar issues In HUT. Try online versus just for comparison. I have that stuttering in many HUT games but not on versus.

I have had a delayed online versus game in NHL19, as I’ve had them in NHL16, 17 and 18 also.

Issue is not really new, I just wanted to make the thread because the ping against my opponent does not seem to be the deciding factor.

I use HUT as example because that is my game mode of choice for now.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    Ended up giving online versus a spin for 4 games. All of them delayed. Games where I saw under 20ms ping were actually the worst.

Most interesting was the last game (30ms avg 34ms high). For the first few in-game minutes the game was good, I had time to think to myself ”finally a good connection”. But after my first line was ground to red and I got my 2nd line in, the game got very delayed. I could best describe it like my 1st offensive line fatigued my whole team and it never recovered. Shots looked like that too.