EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Button pressing for aiming shots.

Prev1
I know you all don't have many more buttons to work with however for shooting we should have a modifier button.

For example. Holding right trigger while shooting would aim top right, holding Right bumper while shooting aims 7 hole ect. There isn't enough fine percision when trying to aim and this might give a way for us to have a little more control while also giving it room to be off aim for a low shooting accuracy.

Replies

• CMBDeadly wrote: »
    I know you all don't have many more buttons to work with however for shooting we should have a modifier button.

For example. Holding right trigger while shooting would aim top right, holding Right bumper while shooting aims 7 hole ect. There isn't enough fine percision when trying to aim and this might give a way for us to have a little more control while also giving it room to be off aim for a low shooting accuracy.

.... You can literally aim wherever you want with the left stick. If you're using 94 controls, no, you shouldn't get to aim.

.... You can literally aim wherever you want with the left stick. If you're using 94 controls, no, you shouldn't get to aim.

Not using the 94 controls I'm saying that our percison for where we are wanting to shoot especially using thumbs to percisely move it inside of a goalies arm isn't solid enough so this would give us percision that can take into account the goalies stats as well.

Once again you show me you aiming between the goalies arm and body without this modification to our controls. You will push it outside of him or towards the post everytime.
  • The game needs to be a little more dynamic I think this is the next evolution that would make playing feel a little more rewarding.
    The game needs to be a little more dynamic I think this is the next evolution that would make playing feel a little more rewarding.

What's more dynamic than having the ability to aim anywhere on net using the left stick? If you're using 94 controls, then you need to switch to hybrid or skill stick if you want to get to use it.
    The game needs to be a little more dynamic I think this is the next evolution that would make playing feel a little more rewarding.

What's more dynamic than having the ability to aim anywhere on net using the left stick? If you're using 94 controls, then you need to switch to hybrid or skill stick if you want to get to use it.

That isn't what I'm arguing I'm saying an NHL player can pinpoint where they want to try to aim their shot. Players need the same ability, the left stick has too much to pay attention to, to be percise wheb trying to aim.

Dynamic buttin presses to try and aim shots would give us more percision. You aim and then another thing I've wanted is you have to strike the puck correctly using the right stick. So when you would use the modifier and go for a shot to get it to go where you want you need to hit the 12, or towards wharever side you aim.

This would also mean more dynamic goalies as you beed more byttons and modifiers to make saves.

I'm talking about things that turns this game from a 6 to an 8

• I honestly just think you should be arguing for more shot inaccuracy and more dynamic goaltending to produce these results. There’s no room on the controller number one, and two hockey is such a read and react game that an extra button press could really make shooting not fun.

I’d argue that many pros aren’t a necessarily shooting for armpits on purpose. A lot of those goals were probably shot under-pressure at high speeds and the puck just found a hole to sneak into. Could be wrong, but being a goalie my whole life, armpit shots never really felt planned to me. Usually a tip/screen or just inaccurate shooting tbh.
  • At low skill levels you may be correct, but at high skill, if a dude sees a hole in close he's slamming it in at it. I'm not talking about these goals being cheese I'm saying they at least need to be in the game. Arm and body saves happen once a year when I'm playing this game, and they happen pretty often at the real NHL level. Also aiming 5 should be a button press.
  • I've watched enforcer level NHL players ring the post 10 times out of 10 while practicing and you tell me Stamkos can't plan to play a hole?
  • No offense, but I think it is a bad idea and will be way too clunky. It is fine as is for all intents and purposes.
    At low skill levels you may be correct, but at high skill, if a dude sees a hole in close he's slamming it in at it. I'm not talking about these goals being cheese I'm saying they at least need to be in the game. Arm and body saves happen once a year when I'm playing this game, and they happen pretty often at the real NHL level. Also aiming 5 should be a button press.

Again, I think this more of a dynamic goalie argument than another button press. Also, making shots come from realistic/physically possible angles would also lead to more armpit goals hence why a shooter would be aiming at the armpit.

Also, realizing that most players on this game hold their LS in an absolute fashion when aiming (so not aiming where the armpit is) maybe the devs could incorporate those types of shots and finding holes based on attributes rather than another button press.

I don’t think your idea is bad, I actually like the concept of it being a goalie myself and because I do agree that there’s a lack of unique-looking goals, I just think an extra button press might not be our answer.

Hopefully goalies get revamped sometime soon and we see this probably sort itself out.
  • I get what you are saying, I just feel as it stands and what could increase the experience as a player this is what I came up with, I don't see how it's clunky to press an extra button while shooting however I'll agree to disagree there. I just think that we need something that makes the game more dynamic and the industry has already given us great examples.
  • I’d rather have the rotary stick aiming my shot than a button press.
    That just sounds silly.
  • I’d rather have the rotary stick aiming my shot than a button press.
    That just sounds silly.
    Once again it's a modifier like when you need a modifier for a certain type of pass in Madden. Just a simple button press and it snaps to that point and then it would take the normal steps for that shot. Taking attributes for accuracy ect. I'd argue it's not silly and just giving us more options.
  • You don't have to use the modifier however it being there would give us another tool.
  • All good. I’m just not a fan of your suggestion. It’s silly to suggest... when we already have full control of our shot aiming.
  • All good. I’m just not a fan of your suggestion. It’s silly to suggest... when we already have full control of our shot aiming.

We have control, however we don't have percision aiming like a professional would. We can agree to disagree there.
  • For example using Ovi and his one timer from the dot on the PP, he never blast one through an arm in this game, because the gane doesn't have this kind of percision. I realize it's aim for the body and shoot in real life, however that's a save every time in this game.
    I’d rather have the rotary stick aiming my shot than a button press.
    That just sounds silly.
    Once again it's a modifier like when you need a modifier for a certain type of pass in Madden. Just a simple button press and it snaps to that point and then it would take the normal steps for that shot. Taking attributes for accuracy ect. I'd argue it's not silly and just giving us more options.

Madden has modifier buttons? I thought it was all pressure sensitive when wanting to throw a different type of pass?

I don't think this is something that we need. It seems there would be more RNG when trying to decide goals. That or we will see more exploited goals as a result.

We have full control of where we shoot the puck as is. I agree, it's not 100 percent accurate, but I'd rather have this then complicate things.
  • I don't see how it would complicate things more than just adding a button to a shot if you want a little more percision. However I will say that at the moment I feel that added features that compliment gameplay and not really doing anything crazy could help the game. Ease of use is great, however a little nuance is also very nice.
    I’d rather have the rotary stick aiming my shot than a button press.
    That just sounds silly.

Madden has modifier buttons? I thought it was all pressure sensitive when wanting to throw a different type of pass?

I don't think this is something that we need. It seems there would be more RNG when trying to decide goals. That or we will see more exploited goals as a result.

We have full control of where we shoot the puck as is. I agree, it's not 100 percent accurate, but I'd rather have this then complicate things.

Also yeah over the years they've had you use the left bumper or the right stick to add different variables to throws like a high heater to Randy Moss back in the day.