EA Forums - Banner

Is everybody fine with the usage of l2/lt while in puck possession?

I’ve read for the last month or so nerf the poke check, poke check, don’t touch that button,

Now it’s stick lift stick lift stick lift.

Am I the only one who thinks what you can do skating with lt/l2 while in posession of the puck doesn’t make any sense? Half pivot to skating backwards all the way to the hash marks to finishing your spin then skating forward crashing the net isn’t a mechanic that makes sens in a hockey game?

Replies

• SahioX
    101 posts Member
    To me, it's cheap tricks to abuse the overly sensitive poking.

I think the best way to counter that is to bring back Loosing your edge, like they had in 12 or 11 if memory serves well.

Then, if you turned too sharply at high speed or made too many cuts, you could loose your edge.

I'd also go as far as if you have 2 or 3 L2 presses in a row before a trip, you get sent to the box for Diving.
  • Not fine with it in any way. Slowly collecting as many clips as I can personally so I can make a decent video demonstrating its abuse. You practically get a speed boost from it. And since it’s a half spin, there’s no attribute factor tied to it. Like a full spin, some players can lose the puck if they aren’t the right class. I’ve seen every class able to pull this off
  • Like I think the sude stepping to open up a shot on the blue line is perfectly fine but boy oh boy doing those move while being in posession of the puck is something else.
  • I absolutely love this mechanic. This mechanic works a lot like the spread eagle skating technique used by pros on a daily basis. There is a huge learning curve and skill gap, and the move isn’t even overpowered.

If you play good defense and your team plays good team defense, skaters really shouldn’t have a lot of room to make these LT moves. If you’re playing 3s, just learn how to be patient and accept the fact that games are going to be more high-scoring.

This is one of those mechanics that looks halfway realistic yet provides a huge skill gap in a game that is desperately needing more ways to incorporate a skill gap. I say bravo and a job well done.
  • I absolutely love this mechanic. This mechanic works a lot like the spread eagle skating technique used by pros on a daily basis. There is a huge learning curve and skill gap, and the move isn’t even overpowered.

If you play good defense and your team plays good team defense, skaters really shouldn’t have a lot of room to make these LT moves. If you’re playing 3s, just learn how to be patient and accept the fact that games are going to be more high-scoring.

This is one of those mechanics that looks halfway realistic yet provides a huge skill gap in a game that is desperately needing more ways to incorporate a skill gap. I say bravo and a job well done.

I do recognize the skill gap but how is it one that is realistic. It seems so anti-hockey movement to me.
  • TheCaz8484 wrote: »
    I absolutely love this mechanic. This mechanic works a lot like the spread eagle skating technique used by pros on a daily basis. There is a huge learning curve and skill gap, and the move isn’t even overpowered.

I do recognize the skill gap but how is it one that is realistic. It seems so anti-hockey movement to me.

Watch how pros use the spread eagle to shield the puck (probably will see it once a shift honestly). I really don’t think it’s “anti-hockey” honestly it makes it feel more like real hockey to me than ever before.

Sure the speed boost effect needs to be addressed, and even the puck control issue when using 3rd/4th liners or unskilled EASHL classes should be addressed, but the feature or idea should definitely stay because it really does seem like a “hockey play” to me.

• Watch how pros use the spread eagle to shield the puck (probably will see it once a shift honestly). I really don’t think it’s “anti-hockey” honestly it makes it feel more like real hockey to me than ever before.

Sure the speed boost effect needs to be addressed, and even the puck control issue when using 3rd/4th liners or unskilled EASHL classes should be addressed, but the feature or idea should definitely stay because it really does seem like a “hockey play” to me.

You raise some good points about this. I did not really have an issue with it when more and more players started using it towards middle-late NHL 18. The speed at which it took to do it seemed to be a good balance and good way of shielding the puck against a Defender. And I don't want the move per se to go away. But the speed and puck control does need to be looked at for sure. Cause it is and will be abused all year
  • TheCaz8484 wrote: »
    I absolutely love this mechanic. This mechanic works a lot like the spread eagle skating technique used by pros on a daily basis. There is a huge learning curve and skill gap, and the move isn’t even overpowered.

Everything about this game, and a large portion of the player base seems anti-hockey
  • When players use the spread eagle, they can only glide and will loose speed very quickly.
  • Well messing with it today it’s kinda easy to master.

It brings a necessary skill gap but not based on hockey knowledge or or positionning like poke check was in beta.
  • Personally I dont have a single issue with it. It's easy to defend if you put a body on that player, just dont poke, and it leads to gross goals like this.

Just an NHL youtuber trying to connect with NHL gamers!

My Channel youtube.com/puredangleproductions
  • Seldom works on me and people generally give up when I knock them off the puck a few times. Not something I think of as an issue in the game.
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    L2/LT is super over powered with the new skating engine.