EA Forums - Banner

supposedly 7ms response time

Prev1

Yet game is unresponsive and i have wide open net and the input for shooting is not even happening, player receives and NOTHING, seriously EA... when will you actually admit to your wrong-doing and FIX IT as a company who thinks about the experience your customers actually have of this game..


My worst user experiences of games has been 17 , 18 and now 19... hands-down.

Replies

  • let me net this out...

    you see 7 ms on the net performance tool and the input to shoot is not even registering?

    what game mode?

    where are you located?
  • let me net this out...

    you see 7 ms on the net performance tool and the input to shoot is not even registering?

    what game mode?

    where are you located?

    I was playing HUT against another Sweden... 7ms response time.. highest peak was 22ms... this game seriously has the worst user experience of playing the game.
  • wonder what his response times were to you...

    do you experience this frequently?
  • vmx2014
    54 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    This is normal. Don’t let others tell you that it’s not realreal. The network stuff ain’t real. I even have green bars and lag soooooo much had red bar before and was fast as lightning . This game ain’t about skil it’s about who has luck to get the advantage. It’s a way to let scrubs win a few games and make them think they have a chance and continue to play the game instead of raging and never playing @gain. Ea logic through skill out 5he window


    Edited to remove swearing. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    wonder what his response times were to you...

    do you experience this frequently?

    I have noticed the same issue as OP. I am also from a Nordic country. Games where ping shows very playable and stable numbers feels like I am playing someone from US.

    I have typed out my experiences in the thread below, even included some raw gameplay video of delayed games with network graph. Delay is obviously impossible to show in a recording.

    It honestly appears the issue is not necessarily the connection between the players(P2P) but some other variable we cannot control.

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/230639/network-performance-graph

    PS: you mentioned ”I wonder what his ping is to you”. That is nonsensical as ping is a request and response function. It is the same.
  • What do you mean nonsensical? If you have a fast connection playing someone who has slow connection, what do you think your online experience will be like, hm? Say you have a ping of 7, and the other guy has a ping of 67?

    Just because you have a fast connection doesn't make the other guy's connection any faster. It can only send at it's max limit, whatever that is. At least, if you use common sense, that's what I'd expect.

    For example, my connection is 100/10 mbps - so that would mean, I can receive roughly 10x faster than I can send? What if the other guy had 4/1 or something like that? You could have the fastest connection in the world, and it would not help you as the connections have to be in synch (I am guessing)? But in any case, I'd expect the one with slow connection to have much worse ping than you, and what does that do to your game, is the question.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    What do you mean nonsensical? If you have a fast connection playing someone who has slow connection, what do you think your online experience will be like, hm? Say you have a ping of 7, and the other guy has a ping of 67?

    Just because you have a fast connection doesn't make the other guy's connection any faster. It can only send at it's max limit, whatever that is. At least, if you use common sense, that's what I'd expect.

    For example, my connection is 100/10 mbps - so that would mean, I can receive roughly 10x faster than I can send? What if the other guy had 4/1 or something like that? You could have the fastest connection in the world, and it would not help you as the connections have to be in synch (I am guessing)? But in any case, I'd expect the one with slow connection to have much worse ping than you, and what does that do to your game, is the question.

    Ping is not dependant on internet badwidth. It’s related to connection method and routing. Ping in this case is the time it takes to a packet to travel back and forth between the players, so obviously, without serious routing weirdness, the time for both is the same or very close.
  • If you say so.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    wonder what his response times were to you...

    do you experience this frequently?

    I have noticed the same issue as OP. I am also from a Nordic country. Games where ping shows very playable and stable numbers feels like I am playing someone from US.

    I have typed out my experiences in the thread below, even included some raw gameplay video of delayed games with network graph. Delay is obviously impossible to show in a recording.

    It honestly appears the issue is not necessarily the connection between the players(P2P) but some other variable we cannot control.

    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/230639/network-performance-graph

    PS: you mentioned ”I wonder what his ping is to you”. That is nonsensical as ping is a request and response function. It is the same.

    to my knowledge, this is a one way measurement.

    your path to the other user is not necessarily the same path or symmetrical as his path to you.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    What do you mean nonsensical? If you have a fast connection playing someone who has slow connection, what do you think your online experience will be like, hm? Say you have a ping of 7, and the other guy has a ping of 67?

    Just because you have a fast connection doesn't make the other guy's connection any faster. It can only send at it's max limit, whatever that is. At least, if you use common sense, that's what I'd expect.

    For example, my connection is 100/10 mbps - so that would mean, I can receive roughly 10x faster than I can send? What if the other guy had 4/1 or something like that? You could have the fastest connection in the world, and it would not help you as the connections have to be in synch (I am guessing)? But in any case, I'd expect the one with slow connection to have much worse ping than you, and what does that do to your game, is the question.

    Ping is not dependant on internet badwidth. It’s related to connection method and routing. Ping in this case is the time it takes to a packet to travel back and forth between the players, so obviously, without serious routing weirdness, the time for both is the same or very close.

    see?

    we agree.
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member

    see?

    we agree.

    Not sure what agreement you are trying to feed me, but I am not saying there that it’s everyday occurance for people in Finland to have connection issues between each others. Of course misconfiguration in routing causes delay, but I am not saying we should assume that is the reason.
  • There are certain times where your player seemingly just refuses to let the shot go...usually with a wide open net lol. Seriously though the input lag feels worse than ever this year. EA knows of the problem but I dont think its one of their pressing issues right now, which does strike me as odd but there are bigger issues I guess.

    I don't think it's lag or anything like that. I think it's just a new animation where if your player receives the puck and he's in the wrong angle he takes a few seconds to corral the puck before shooting it. Had it happen to me a few times in HUT before I realized NHL 2K also had something similar.

    Looks realistic enough if that's what it is. Just means you won't automatically get a laser canon insta-shot on a one-timer pass if you're not facing the net correctly or if the player was turning while receiving the puck.
  • BoboFloggins
    2170 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Kuus2 wrote: »

    see?

    we agree.

    Not sure what agreement you are trying to feed me, but I am not saying there that it’s everyday occurance for people in Finland to have connection issues between each others. Of course misconfiguration in routing causes delay, but I am not saying we should assume that is the reason.

    well, first you said:

    "you mentioned ”I wonder what his ping is to you”. That is nonsensical as ping is a request and response function. It is the same."


    then you said:

    "Ping in this case is the time it takes to a packet to travel back and forth between the players, so obviously, without serious routing weirdness, the time for both is the same or very close."

    so, yes, you agreed with my statement. you just disagree that it could be the issue.

    so, to be clear, I am not saying that is his issue.

    but to say what I said / asked is "nonsensical" is just flat out inaccurate. routing is not always symmetrical. especially in areas that rely on microwave, LTE and even sat system backhauls and interconnects can be present.

    as for his issue, I would assume that it has nothing to do with HIS "7 ms" times.

    people have been claiming the network took "isn't real" on various threads. it is simply indicative of layer 3 times to the other end - one way. simply checking up to layer 3. not all the way up to the application layer.

    anyways. it is very rare anyone gives enough info to even try to diagnose what is happening.

    as for EA on this issue - I would simply ask:
    • for HUT, my understanding it is peer to peer for GAME TRAFFIC, however, there is session control type connection to a HUT server... is this true, EA?
    • if so, is there a European HUT server
    • if so, could a misroute or issue with the HUT server itself cause impact to game traffic flow or is all game traffic flowing OUTSIDE the session control (as with SIP vs. RTP media)?
  • Kuus2
    221 posts Member
    I will from now on ask opponents for their network values. Right now playing a german and we both have 27ms average ping. Game most definitely does not feel like 27ms...

    My prediction is I will continue to get values matching to mine and I will find someone who also has ~15ms average yet the game is delayed.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I have top of the line equipment with high speed internet and I run between 27 to 35 ms average per game. I know people online who have lesser speed and equipment but get between 7 and 15 ms average per game.

    There is still EA side issues (lack of servers, infrastructure, proper net code, etc.) that is very geographic who gets a good connection to server and who doesn't.
  • If your ingame ping says 7 it doesn't mean it's 7. You gotta take into account your console ping. Then your tv's refresh rate and such.

    Like in NHL my says 14ms. My system ping says 32ms. I use a 3ms monitor. There is a ton of stuff to take into account for yourself.
  • Kuus2 wrote: »
    I will from now on ask opponents for their network values. Right now playing a german and we both have 27ms average ping. Game most definitely does not feel like 27ms...

    My prediction is I will continue to get values matching to mine and I will find someone who also has ~15ms average yet the game is delayed.

    totally understand.

    I just think there is indeed something going on that is not related to the network response tool / times.

    Would need EA to chime in...
  • B_Bunny
    893 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    You need to double the MS ingame to get the true ping here. What you see is the ping travelling one way.

    I get 45-48MS from eastern USA to western USA ingame. A speedtest.net shows my ping to the west coast is much closer to 85+.

    To be honest, if this was changed I wouldn't get matched with a lot of the "green" connections that should be yellow.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • i played 6 club games last night. every time i checked my connection between periods it said 9. in each game i had at least two lag spikes --- but the connection meter never went above 9ms. last year when this would happen it would show that my ping shot up however many seconds or minutes ago but it didnt move at all last night.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.