EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Fix Rebound Glitchers

2Next

Replies

• Socair
    2257 posts Game Changer
    Honestly, rebounding has been my biggest gripe with this game over the past few years. It’s so boring and tedious to defend; especially ruins 3s/4s.

It is way too easy to exploit. As others have said, at least tune the rebound control...make them go off in more random directions, bounce high or get absorbed.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • HockeyCityUSA
    500 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Stop the immature "get good" stuff, gheesh.. Exploits and glitches can't be stopped by simply being in position, etc. That's why they are called exploits and glitches because they defy the normal % success rate of normal situations. All you can do is slightly reduce it's effectiveness by being in good position, etc.

The shot from the wing to purposely produce a juicy rebound back side to a teammate is indeed an exploit and should not be nowhere near as effective as it is, EA should program the goalie make this save clean more often or even deflect the rebound back to short side, not an automatic juicy rebound back side.

It is indeed a cheesy way to score.

It's a video game, goals should be earned, should be clean goals, etc. random chaos, rebounds, deflections, etc. are in real hockey but unsatisfying and boring in a video game because you can't control it, it's random garbage.

I agree, the "get good" comments are not necessary. However, if we are talking about exploits/glitches, I don't feel that rebounds are in this category unless it is what I mentioned before.

If they are purposely skating out wide and taking low shots, then yes they are exploiting the game. But if it's a 2 on 1 situation, and they continue driving towards the net, I don't see anything wrong in throwing it at the pad. To me that is a hockey play.

That being said, I don't know how you would nerfed the one and not the other as they produce the same the same type of result. Unless they make rebounds more random and have them bounce off the goalies at different angles. But then some people would question the physics of it.

As far as the video from above, that is definitely unfortunate for the defender. But I don't think anyone should be upset about a rebound from that location. The player shot it from the top of the circle to try and get a garbage goal. Instead he got a "garbage" goal if you know what I mean. I don't think this video shows we need better puck pickups, not a rebound nerf. Unless EA is saying that puck "bounced" over the defenders stick, he should have been able to pick this up.
    Post edited by HockeyCityUSA on
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Stop the immature "get good" stuff, gheesh.. Exploits and glitches can't be stopped by simply being in position, etc. That's why they are called exploits and glitches because they defy the normal % success rate of normal situations. All you can do is slightly reduce it's effectiveness by being in good position, etc.

The shot from the wing to purposely produce a juicy rebound back side to a teammate is indeed an exploit and should not be nowhere near as effective as it is, EA should program the goalie make this save clean more often or even deflect the rebound back to short side, not an automatic juicy rebound back side.

It's a video game, goals should be earned, should be clean goals, etc. random chaos, rebounds, deflections, etc. are in real hockey but unsatisfying and boring in a video game because you can't control it, it's random garbage.

I agree, the "get good" comments are not necessary. However, if we are talking about exploits/glitches, I don't feel that rebounds are in this category unless it is what I mentioned before.

If they are purposely skating out wide and taking low shots, then yes they are exploiting the game. But if it's a 2 on 1 situation, and they continue driving towards the net, I don't see anything wrong in throwing it at the pad. To me that is a hockey play.

That being said, I don't know how you would nerfed the one and not the other as they produce the same the same type of result. Unless they make rebounds more random and have them bounce off the goalies at different angles. But then some people would question the physics of it.

As far as the video from above, that is definitely unfortunate for the defender. But I don't think anyone should be upset about a rebound from that location. The player shot it from the top of the circle to try and get a garbage goal. Instead he got a "garbage" goal if you know what I mean. I don't think this video shows we need better puck pickups, not a rebound nerf. Unless EA is saying that puck "bounced" over the defenders stick, he should have been able to pick this up.

The issue is that slappers get absorbed or controlled whereas fluff shots give out illogical rebounds and consistently on the same angle. Any goalie can control the rebound (or lack of actually) on a fluff shot from the half boards. NHL goalies can do it consistently on slappers, so I don't see why the lobbed turds give out these rebounds and from 50 feet away....
  • VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    SpillGal wrote: »
    VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    The little games in the game. "Rush to the net and hope you pick the puck up quicker" is this not part of the d-mans job?
    Santini3 wrote: »
    That's called "playing defense" my guy.
    that's hockey 101.
    Playing defense has become very rewarding this year if you have great positioning.

Its a two on two and you're not even facing the puck carrier. L2 or turn on auto back skate to face the puck carrier. Bad defence here. Just a typical hockey play. I don't feel like the shooter was being exploitive. I think puck pick up may be an issue here but poor positional play is the main benefactor of this goal.

He had the puck right there on his stick and the pickup failed. That is the main issue. You are not wrong that he could have been positioned a little better, yet he did have that puck right there pretty much on the blade of his stick.

The offensive player extended the stick to cause the turnover after the rebound. I have many issues with the puck pick up system where its just a cluster fluff of players picking up and dropping the puck. Some games are worse than others. But the more I watch this video the more I blame the player for not facing any of the forwards.

Had he been facing the forward, the puck would have come to his skates, and not his stick which would have been harder to pick up and control.
  • Had he been facing the forward, the puck would have come to his skates, and not his stick which would have been harder to pick up and control.

This.

I'm the "craptacular" defender in the video.

Against different players I would have played it differently but these guys had done literally nothing in this game but go for the rebound.

I knew that there was going to be no pass on the rush. I knew what shot he was going to take and where the rebound was going to go. I put myself in the best position I could to get the rebound before the other player could. And I got burned because of a ridiculous puck pickup.

Facing the forward on this rush would have just given him an even better chance to swat the puck in.

• Had he been facing the forward, the puck would have come to his skates, and not his stick which would have been harder to pick up and control.

This.

I'm the "craptacular" defender in the video.

Against different players I would have played it differently but these guys had done literally nothing in this game but go for the rebound.

I knew that there was going to be no pass on the rush. I knew what shot he was going to take and where the rebound was going to go. I put myself in the best position I could to get the rebound before the other player could. And I got burned because of a ridiculous puck pickup.

Facing the forward on this rush would have just given him an even better chance to swat the puck in.

Also your other D man was facing the skaters which limits the plays they can do. I think you made the right choice in that context and got burned. Seems like it is the same as previous years where forwards get priority over defenders when it comes to picking up the puck.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »

The issue is that slappers get absorbed or controlled whereas fluff shots give out illogical rebounds and consistently on the same angle. Any goalie can control the rebound (or lack of actually) on a fluff shot from the half boards. NHL goalies can do it consistently on slappers, so I don't see why the lobbed turds give out these rebounds and from 50 feet away....

I see the slap shots shoot out just as well. I only know this because my brother is a huge rebound abuser. He can get that rebound with a slap shot almost every time he attempts it. This was and probably still is his go to play.

Anyways, I still stand firm with believing this is not an exploit. Though people abuse these shots, I still see it as a hockey play. It's annoying, but I have done pretty well at containing and preventing goals from occurring.
  • Bmh245
    905 posts Member

Come on - you know how they should "nerf" it. They should have the goalie direct long shots into the corners, like they do IRL, rather than let them bounce right into the slot. The way the goalies handle rebounds in this game is atrocious, and has been for years, and yes, people exploit it all the time. No idea why anyone would defend it, when Ben himself said that the way goalies deal with rebounds needs serious work.

• Everyone asking for more realistic gameplay, no one appreciating all the animation that went into the 3200 goal celebrations.
  • Bmh245 wrote: »

Come on - you know how they should "nerf" it. They should have the goalie direct long shots into the corners, like they do IRL, rather than let them bounce right into the slot. The way the goalies handle rebounds in this game is atrocious, and has been for years, and yes, people exploit it all the time. No idea why anyone would defend it, when Ben himself said that the way goalies deal with rebounds needs serious work.

There a lot of conditions that would go in affect to "nerf" it though. How far is a "long shot"? Is it different if it's a wrister compared to a slap shot? What if it's a one timer? What if someone is screening the goalie?

It's not as simple as if they guy shoots from point A, then the puck goes to point B. The physics wouldn't always line up if that route were taken. So when I say, how do you "nerf" it, I'm saying how can this be done without reworking the code? In my opinion, it shouldn't be nerfed, it should be rewritten.

Rebounds are a part of hockey and many garbage goals are scored this way. I don't want a nerf to go in affect that would make it so we can never score on a rebound because certain players in the community decide to exploit the game.

As far as me defending it, I'm sure many of the developers have certain views on certain aspects of the game, but are we supposed to just say "Ok, the developer is right, so I don't need to offer an input?" If that were the case, then the poke check conversation would have ended weeks ago.
  • RichardDick
    74 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    We had a team try this crap for a whole EASHL game last night. The worstt was when they took the shot from the boards, below the hash marks, our goalie was square to the shooter. The rebound should have come off his pads at most back towards the faceoff circle on the same side. Nope, it magically bounces diagonally across the the goal, through my DDefenseman, and directly on to our opponents stick. It’s ridiculous and should have been fixed years ago.
  • Socair wrote: »
    Honestly, rebounding has been my biggest gripe with this game over the past few years. It’s so boring and tedious to defend; especially ruins 3s/4s.

It is way too easy to exploit. As others have said, at least tune the rebound control...make them go off in more random directions, bounce high or get absorbed.

I'm sorry but I very respectfully disagree. It's easy to defend, and the rebounds do come off at angles that dont make sense already. And do get absorbed. It's done dozens of times every game in the NHL, and other levels. I'm not gonna type it out again lol, but check my response to OP. Please bare in mind I'm respectfully explaining my stance.

LOL 8/10 times the puck goes to the exact same spot on the ice. I can do that same play 8/10 times and I don't even practice it. That's how easy it is.

I'm sorry but I very respectfully disagree. It's easy to defend, and the rebounds do come off at angles that dont make sense already. And do get absorbed. It's done dozens of times every game in the NHL, and other levels. I'm not gonna type it out again lol, but check my response to OP. Please bare in mind I'm respectfully explaining my stance.

LOL 8/10 times the puck goes to the exact same spot on the ice. I can do that same play 8/10 times and I don't even practice it. That's how easy it is.

I don't know which side you're debating for, but wouldn't this play in the defensemen's advantage if they knew exactly where the puck was going every time?

It goes back to what I was saying, good positioning takes these goals away. It may be tedious, but if someone is going to continuously do the same thing over and over, wouldnt you have to do the same thing repetitively on defense to stop it? If someone attempts a short side wrister every time he enters the zone, I am going to start cheating to that side to prevent the shot from even occurring.

What we need to understand is EA isn't creating these "exploits", the people playing the game are. So even if EA comes in and nerfs this to an extent the community is happy with, players will find a new go to play to begin abusing. It's no different than any other competitive online gaming. The only true way to prevent this is by having a group of people you could play with that don't "cheese".

I don't know which side you're debating for, but wouldn't this play in the defensemen's advantage if they knew exactly where the puck was going every time?

It goes back to what I was saying, good positioning takes these goals away. It may be tedious, but if someone is going to continuously do the same thing over and over, wouldnt you have to do the same thing repetitively on defense to stop it? If someone attempts a short side wrister every time he enters the zone, I am going to start cheating to that side to prevent the shot from even occurring.

What we need to understand is EA isn't creating these "exploits", the people playing the game are. So even if EA comes in and nerfs this to an extent the community is happy with, players will find a new go to play to begin abusing. It's no different than any other competitive online gaming. The only true way to prevent this is by having a group of people you could play with that don't "cheese".

Depends on the spot on the ice you're in. If it's a rush to get into a lane and say you're middle of the lane to cover the pass, you can't do both. Now I'd be okay with that if the goalies were realistic and didn't shoot the same rebound out at 80% of the time.

I'd also be okay with it if they were on hard shots. Soft low snap shots don't cut it. They get redirected out into the slot at maybe 5% of the time in the NHL. Not 80%.

You should be able to score rebound goals. But as a forward I should not be able to predict where that puck is going before even a shot is taken.

And when you play against elite talent in this game, playing rebounds can be a recipe for disaster. If they stop up they're wide open so always playing directly (in between the player and the net) goal side isn't the perfect play.

The rebounds off of the blocker and the odd rebound out of the trappers are fine, it's the low pad ones that don't ever change the direction of the puck. Half of the times the puck will hit the center of the paddle and somehow even bounce perfectly to the middle of the slot somehow. Or a shot will be going wide far side and somehow gets redirected upwards and out in the same spot in the slot. Rarely does it bounce laterally or towards the corner.

If you look at the replays, on probably 25% of the animations the goalie should let it angle into his pads to the half wall or lower, but instead of letting it angle out away from play he pinball paddles his pad at a parallel angle to the goal line completely unnecessarily to intentionally push the puck out to the slot.

Shots that hit the bread basket will go off of the cheaters on equipment and shove out into (you guessed it) the slot.

Again, ea fails to implement punishment for poor hockey iq. Weak shots should lead to nothing plays, shots at the breadbasket should get swallowed up, shots on the ends of sticks, in feet, directly in front of the skates mid-fore/backhand end up being labeled into the top corners of nets.

They've added a couple of variables in the shooting in the last decade so that shots across the body are less accurate and when not turned towards the net and to some extent shooting writers on heels are weaker, but aside from that is a really lacklustre effort in creating a realistic essence of scoring.

Accurate shots in the slot don't matter majority of the time, power of shots for generating rebounds don't matter, set up of shots don't matter lots, etc.

It should be tough to get to the slot for a shot, shots shouldn't be super accurate all of the time, goalies shouldn't make 5 save of the years in one game, rebounds should be realistic.

This game has literally all of the tools needed to make it as realistic as I've asked for with a couple tuner changes but they don't want that. They want casuals who've never played a real game of hockey in their lives to be able to score.
  • Its hockey. You want to know what an annoying exploit is? L2 or LT/A or X danglers that you cant knock off the freaking puck. Play good D and rebounds wont be an issue. If you know hes going to go toward the boards and fire a rebound shot then pinch him off at the blue line and knock him off the puck b4 he shoot. Or like others have said position yourself to take the rebound away. FYI if you dont attack the player and decide to position for rebound a smart player will just skate up and snipe short side.