EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 WOC Progression Changes

We made some changes on WoC progression based on your feedback, check it out & discuss it here.

AI GOD MODE -- Inconsistencies -- Questions -- DEVS?

Prev1
Can a Developer or a Mod give me some insight on this? It's extremely noticeable and really ruins games. I don't understand why the team with actual players gets punished in this situation.

To start, why are they so inconsistent? Game to game, it is evident. You'll have that average AI while the opposing team has this God like stud out there. He always seems to be on defense as well. Pokechecking everything. They step up perfectly like a heat seeking missile everywhere on the ice. Why aren't they all average or all God like?

Do different AI's usually play a certain way? If I have Kurtz, should I expect to have a stud AI. If I have Saros, should I quit before the game starts? Is that all random as well?

Why when a player leaves the game, is his AI competent, especially goalies???? This drives me nuts. You beat on a team so badly that they start to quit out. Why should I be punished by having to fight for the "W" because the AI wants to take over a game? I remember when they used to have garbage goalies after a human left. Why was that removed?

Does your CR have anything to do with how good or bad your AI are? I have a 700 CR. Should I expect to have garbage AI if I'm going up against someone in the 300-500's?

If anything comes to mind, I'll comment below. I'm just confused about this stuff. It's frustrating.

Replies

• sgiz1
    509 posts Member
    "Does your CR have anything to do with how good or bad your AI are? I have a 700 CR. Should I expect to have garbage AI if I'm going up against someone in the 300-500's?"

Regardless of what answer you get, if you get one. There is much reason to suspect this to be true based on overall observation/experience by us the gamers.
  • K U R T Z !!!!
    Tastes Good With The Money https://youtube.com/watch?v=GS4dO-0YI2E
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Does your CR have anything to do with how good or bad your AI are? I have a 700 CR. Should I expect to have garbage AI if I'm going up against someone in the 300-500's?"

Regardless of what answer you get, if you get one. There is much reason to suspect this to be true based on overall observation/experience by us the gamers.

Yeah. I played against two players, and Kurtz was their defenseman. I had 3 players. I had 720 CR and my teammates were 600's and 530's (rough estimation). They had a 500 and a 387 CR. Kurtz was a monster. Scored 2 goals for them, and constantly stepped up perfectly and kept making God pokes.
  • In a 3's Game right now. Their AI has a hat trick. We won because we pass well and set each other up, but give me a break. 5-3 game (they pulled their goalie for an ENG) because they just have a AI scoring for them.
  • @NHLDev Can I get any input on this?
  • BeantownStrong94
    156 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    It's confirmed by now. If a team has Kurtz as the defenseman, they are at an advantage for AI. Every single game he dominates.

Just played a game. 3v3, they had a goalie with two FWDS. Kurtz on defense. My team had 3 players. We scored 2 goals on them, and their goalie quits. We end up losing 5-2. Kurtz has 5 points and rocks everyone coming over the blue line.
  • @NHLDev Can I get any input on this?

The ai are the same at all times. There are no differences other than who does/doesn't get replace by human player slots to play in the session.

All ai forwards have the same attribute ratings as one another and all ai defenders have the same attribute ratings as one another.

Confirmation bias can be very strong when watching sports but even more so when playing videogames it seems.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    @NHLDev Can I get any input on this?

The ai are the same at all times. There are no differences other than who does/doesn't get replace by human player slots to play in the session.

All ai forwards have the same attribute ratings as one another and all ai defenders have the same attribute ratings as one another.

Confirmation bias can be very strong when watching sports but even more so when playing video games it seems.

The AI is the same at all times, and yet you can clearly see times when one AI is stronger than the other, so what is it?

A strategy set that makes the AI more aggressive? Player CR has nothing to do with this either?

It just doesn't make sense when Kurtz is stepping up at the blue line leveling everyone perfectly. Making every defensive stick play, and scoring point after point, while Saros can't get out of his own way.

• Sgt_Kelso
    1073 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I've noticed that the AI dmen are really lost, if the other dman is human. In your cases, were both dmen AI or not?

When I play dman, the CPU dman positions himself completely wrong, he's on my side half the time, and wanders to the offensive zone too much, and then doesn't come home when he'd need or does it very slow. Generally acting really passive in comparison to 'Kurtz on steroids' type of play.
  • BeantownStrong94
    156 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I've noticed that the AI dmen are really lost, if the other dman is human. In your cases, were both dmen AI or not?

When I play dman, the CPU dman positions himself completely wrong, he's on my side half the time, and wanders to the offensive zone too much, and then doesn't come home when he'd need or does it very slow. Generally acting really passive in comparison to 'Kurtz on steroids' type of play.

I've been playing 3's a lot when my club isn't on because I find 6's drops just a complete gong show. So my situation is one defenseman; and every game with Kurtz seems to be a struggle.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on

Confirmation bias can be very strong when watching sports but even more so when playing videogames it seems.

It's not that I don't believe you. It's that Kurtz doesn't believe you!

B)
  • I've seen Kurtz score probably 15 goals on penalty shots. I've seen Soros score 1 lol.

Could be coincidental but that's a lopsided number.

Also perfect plays I always jump the gun and say, Kurtz is a beast and probably 80% of the time it's Kurtz.

I'm curious, does anyone on the dev team play online? If they do, they would clearly see that both teams AI's are not identical. One is clearly superior in every way, the other is just a pylon
  • I set the AI to aggressive everything, 1-3-1 defense, and I still see a difference in play. I had Kurtz today actually! About time..... I feel I never end up with him haha. He was a defensive stud. Hitting everything. I had Saros a few games later. Same settings, and he wasn't even close to Kurtz.

EA is not telling us the whole story. I mean could they really? Could they really come out and say, "Yep guys... If your CR is lower, you get an advantage with AI in the game." That would be them admitting that you can't be good at the game, or you're going to be punished for it to keep scrubs in. I just find it funny that at the end of every game where the stronger feeling AI is has a players with CR's in the 300-400's. Then you look at your own team and you have CR's in the 500-700's.
  • I've seen Kurtz score probably 15 goals on penalty shots. I've seen Soros score 1 lol.

Could be coincidental but that's a lopsided number.

Also perfect plays I always jump the gun and say, Kurtz is a beast and probably 80% of the time it's Kurtz.

Kurtz is a 1st ballot HOF.
  • GramerProfesur
    359 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Don’t think the actual players are different, but believe there is an algorithm that will allow one AI to play better than other based on CR or skill. Think “adaptive AI” but can hurt you and be a positive. I like to think of myself as a pretty good dman and the opposing AI is always garbage at launch and before a patch/tuner seem to get better as I get better. My teammate AI seems to get worse as I get better.

I had a CR in the 700s which is crazy because the system is broken and lost 10 straight games where the AI would often take all the penalties and score in our own net. I then won like 7 straight when I was back down to the 400s and my AI was a lady byng candidate doing one touch passes.
  • Don’t think the actual players are different, but believe there is an algorithm that will allow one AI to play better than other based on CR or skill. Think “adaptive AI” but can hurt you and be a positive. I like to think of myself as a pretty good dman and the opposing AI is always garbage at launch and before a patch/tuner seem to get better as I get better. My teammate AI seems to get worse as I get better.

I had a CR in the 700s which is crazy because the system is broken and lost 10 straight games where the AI would often take all the penalties and score in our own net. I then won like 7 straight when I was back down to the 400s and my AI was a lady byng candidate doing one touch passes.

I think there might be something to this.
    Played like 5 club games the other day. Went 4-1
    The only loss..during the intro ....I heard “playing your first club game is always blah blah something”...and sure enough the AI on thier team was god like ...and we lost.
  • How bad would it be if EA came out and said that AI skill level is based off your CR? Would it kill the game?