EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

The Poke Check

No this isn't a complaint on the poke check's penalties. I want to argue for the tuning and nerfing of the ability to poke check. Watching NHL hockey and watching this attempt to replicate doesn't line up. The poke check is too strong of an ability. It needs to be either removed or the animation needs to change. As I'll post some examples if needed, but NHL players cannot actively hit the puck with a stick when trying to jab at it consistently like is available in the game. It would take some adjusting as getting the puck would mean being up on somebody and reaching in with the stick to try and take it. However, I think would solve our congestion issue without sticks flying out all over the place for pucks at full speed. I know this will be shot down.

However, I really think watching a few sequences of real hockey vs the simulation we play shows some obvious differences in the defensive ability and how we are able to play. Either make the defensive skill stick the primary ability to get the puck off, or try and make a new poke check that is a little more realistic. Like if you see a dude at the point in real hockey. The defender doesn't aimlessly shove his stick into the area of the defender because the defender can't outskate them. However, they do try and angle the stick and close the body. However in the game we are limited in what we can do and how we can approach it as every lane is gone within seconds because we have unrealistic abilities. Less than the extremely unrealistic AI however more than we should.

Replies

• Personally think the poke actually works, if you skate into my stick range, you're gonna lose the puck.

Try moving the puck more, maybe?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • Plenty of unrealistic things in the game. I mostly accept them because, it's a video game. I have yet to see one where it perfectly feels like real life. No matter the genre. I think we are just expecting too much. Being old enough to having played the "tennis" black and white bar vs bar game, I think we are spoiled.
  • titomahawk wrote: »
    Plenty of unrealistic things in the game. I mostly accept them because, it's a video game. I have yet to see one where it perfectly feels like real life. No matter the genre. I think we are just expecting too much. Being old enough to having played the "tennis" black and white bar vs bar game, I think we are spoiled.
    But not old enough to remember it was called Pong.
    Plenty of unrealistic things in the game. I mostly accept them because, it's a video game. I have yet to see one where it perfectly feels like real life. No matter the genre. I think we are just expecting too much. Being old enough to having played the "tennis" black and white bar vs bar game, I think we are spoiled.
    Or maybe too old to remember the name? o:)
  • titomahawk
    110 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    titomahawk wrote: »
    Or maybe too old to remember the name? o:)

Exactly! ;)

No. Richard is right. I was like 5-6-7 years old...
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Personally think the poke actually works, if you skate into my stick range, you're gonna lose the puck.

Try moving the puck more, maybe?

I'm a dman, trust me this is through pretty well, go watch a game and then watch your ability. Playing the position and not randomly spamming r1 for a random poke you wouldn't normally get in real life needs a modification, right now our sticks are too effiecient and it makes the game worse.
    Actually the original name was tennis your the newb bud

• I don't even need to get specific, however if you just watch a game, and see how defenders can't just shove their stick at someone to remove the puck, they actually have to get in close and win possession, and they can't do that without giving up a step. There are little things that can be improved that would make the game higher energy and higher skill.
  • kitchener_boy
    349 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Honestly the way people play online needs to be improved. Mayby this game would be awsome if everyone who plays like a newb and tries to exploit every exploit in the game would grow up and play how it is played on T.V. then the the game would be awsome cause we would not notice half the stuff.
    EA games were intended for people who watch real hockey and understand real hockey...Hey NHL14 four years later is still a decent game and why??? cause when you play it as a SIM..it plays great!.Thats the problem..these danglers ruin the game cause defence animations are so clunky.
  • Honestly the way people play online needs to be improved. Mayby this game would be awsome if everyone who plays like a newb and tries to exploit every exploit in the game would grow up and play how it is played on T.V. then the the game would be awsome.

They aren't punished for playing that way. It's too easy to close distance with an attacking skater and when you don't and skill zone the AI especially in versus, takes up every lane when on high pressure, as the AI doesn't play off a defender to keep a step on them because they are 1:1 with the programming.