EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

What happened to the speed?

Prev13
DetFrankShark
77 posts Member
edited October 2018
I haven’t played since week 1. I was excited to play and use the new speed mechanics and lo and behold. The GAME IS NOW SLUGGLISH?? What happened?? It’s like quicksand. Didn’t they flaunt this new skating? Everyone seems flatfooted and smaller quicker players lack agility.

[Socair - edited title to remove all caps]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

• They don’t know what’s good and ruin the game 1 month after launch every year
  • vmx2014 wrote: »
    They don’t know what’s good and ruin the game 1 month after launch every year

right cuz the mad clown knows better than the EA nhl team who has been working on this game for 10 solid years
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • As the title suggests. I started a franchise this morning. First game I try and skate up the ice with my D and it looks like he's carrying an extra 500 pounds on his back. Can't cut, can't accelerate and on top of it. All the opposing teams players are skating around like they have 95 speed, acceleration and agility.
  • repetius
    30 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    After seeing that it must be connection related. It must be that tuner update triggered some bug cause 90% of our eashl team noticed change for worse in skating after yesterdays tuner update. Night before skating was fine.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

Please sticky this video.
  • B-Bunny wrote: »

Only problem I see in that video is a missed poke that should result in that guy getting left in the dust by a straight lining player.

• Nxckles
    91 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    B-Bunny wrote: »

What build is he using? What's his height and weight? Is he using the quick turning/agility perk?

For all we know he could be using a 5'8" dangler with the agility boosting perk. That kind of movement doesn't happen with much more common builds (like a 5'11" TWF) in 6's.

(Also I don't know if attributes have a different impact in 3's vs 6's, I haven't played 3's)
  • Looks fine to me:
  • B_Bunny
    885 posts Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Looks fine to me:

If you think it's slow in the video you need to stick to arcade 3's and ones. That's under the arcade sliders.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • B_Bunny
    885 posts Moderator
    NucklesTV wrote: »

What build is he using? What's his height and weight? Is he using the quick turning/agility perk?

For all we know he could be using a 5'8" dangler with the agility boosting perk. That kind of movement doesn't happen with much more common builds (like a 5'11" TWF) in 6's.

(Also I don't know if attributes have a different impact in 3's vs 6's, I haven't played 3's)

Does the build even matter at this point? Change your build if you think that's the issue.

As for the bolded, no they don't. Not for regular 3s.
    PSN: B-Bunny
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2489 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Didnt you say this yesterday?
    This definitely isn't the case for online play. The regular speed is okay, but there's almost no difference between player types/sizes.

It's almost as if there IS a noticeable difference between player types/sizes.
  • ItzTheMeth091
    8 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Notice that the defenders don’t turn on a dime like offense does though? So no, it’s not fine lol defense is still at a huge disadvantage and your figure skating around with the puck and seeing how long it takes for their guy to make a complete cut compared to you says it all

Like it blows my mind that some of you guys just completely look over anything that’s wrong with this game and just pretend like it’s amazing, just because it’s not as bad as 15-18 doesn’t mean it’s a good game
  • Nxckles
    91 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Didnt you say this yesterday?
    This definitely isn't the case for online play. The regular speed is okay, but there's almost no difference between player types/sizes.

It's almost as if there IS a noticeable difference between player types/sizes.

Speed isn't the same as agility. This video shows off agility, I'm talking about top speed in that 2nd quote.

Also, as I mentioned, the guy in the video could be using a 5'8" guy when most people will use 5'10" - 6'2". If the only way to have decent turning is to use a tiny guy then that is very flawed. Do you really want everyone online to be using tiny builds?
  • Nxckles
    91 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Does the build even matter at this point? Change your build if you think that's the issue.

If the only way to have decent turning is to use a tiny build then that's ridiculous. The meta will shift to everyone using tiny builds which will look ridiculous and probably defeat the purpose of hitting in this game.

Is it really outrageous to ask for a 6'2" guy to be able to turn/pivot decently like in the beta/prior to the first patch? I understand preventing the 6'7" enforcers from figure skating, but a regular sized player shouldn't have such a difficult time moving around the ice.
  • Socair
    2361 posts Game Changer

Notice that the defenders don’t turn on a dime like offense does though? So no, it’s not fine lol defense is still at a huge disadvantage and your figure skating around with the puck and seeing how long it takes for their guy to make a complete cut compared to you says it all

Like it blows my mind that some of you guys just completely look over anything that’s wrong with this game and just pretend like it’s amazing, just because it’s not as bad as 15-18 doesn’t mean it’s a good game
    Well if you make your defender a tiny PMD you can move like that. There is differentiation between the builds and sizes. Otherwise everyone’s a 6’5” PWF beast mode dangler.
    If you make a typical defensive build you can’t chase tiny agile players...let them dance around and take away passing lanes or crush them when they go into a shooting lane. Communicate with your teammates and box them out.

NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »

Well if you make your defender a tiny PMD you can move like that. There is differentiation between the builds and sizes. Otherwise everyone’s a 6’5” PWF beast mode dangler.
    If you make a typical defensive build you can’t chase tiny agile players...let them dance around and take away passing lanes or crush them when they go into a shooting lane. Communicate with your teammates and box them out.

I’m saying in general, it goes for vs and HUT too. The fact of the matter is the game felt a lot better in the beta, just like it does every year. Instead of ever fixing minor issues ea makes everything worse each update
  • Socair
    2361 posts Game Changer
    Socair wrote: »

I’m saying in general, it goes for vs and HUT too. The fact of the matter is the game felt a lot better in the beta, just like it does every year. Instead of ever fixing minor issues ea makes everything worse each update
    The changes to agility to reflect attributes was asked for...I recall seeing a lot of “everyone skates like McDavid” comments. But they could still do some fine tuning to the bigger build types. Can’t please everyone unfortunately.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »

I hate to break it to you but movement is very important. Telling everyone to just use the one build at each position that has decent skating isn't the answer. Forcing every other build to feel like it's skating in wet cement is just plain absurd and not enjoyable to play at all (hence why a lot of people hated the skating in the past games and loved the beta).

Yes, the huge guys that are 6'5" and taller shouldn't be able to turn on a dime. However, average size players shouldn't have been hit so hard with the nerf. Quite frankly they shouldn't have been nerfed at all. The small guys should have gotten a boost, average size stays the same, and big builds nerfed from the beta. Instead EA nerfed everything but the tiny builds and we've wound up with sloggy, unenjoyable skating which leads to unenjoyable gameplay.
  • Let's not kid ourselves, this guy is better than the average bear and knows how to use the mechanics. Doesnt matter what build he uses he will likely dangle most defenders.