EA Forums - Banner

Isn't this interference? Example inside.

My last rage post after the tuner mentioned overly-aggressive defensive AI. After the tuner I experienced this twice last night.

So, isn't this interference? Because I know if someone isn't near the puck and I push up on the stick to hit, I'm going to get a penalty. Let's also ignore the fact that it puts me in an animation where I can't move and destroys my stamina each time he hits.

6N7jT1t.gif

Replies

• Sure looks like interference to me. I think this could be attributed to the "push" function that we have in the game, kind of along the lines of stick tying up. Seems like the game is confusing small body checks for this function.

Maybe @NHLDev could put in his 2 cents.
  • Oh man, this frustrates me just to watch lol.
  • It's really simple. If you don't hit the "hitstick" you can't get called for interference. Never have never will. It's how the game has been programmed from day 1. Wasn't a huge problem before they started putting in "realistic" physics without adopting changes to things like this. Now a big player can steam roll a small player with physics but as long as he doesn't "hit" him with right stick , no call.
  • It's really simple. If you don't hit the "hitstick" you can't get called for interference. Never have never will. It's how the game has been programmed from day 1. Wasn't a huge problem before they started putting in "realistic" physics without adopting changes to things like this. Now a big player can steam roll a small player with physics but as long as he doesn't "hit" him with right stick , no call.

When stationary, or at very slow speed, the hit stick is a shove function.

This isn't a case of a player getting steamrolled at high speed. Look at the video again. The player is obviously hitting or shoving.
  • Or even better, how about when the AI starts to tie-up the player in front of the net before you even think of passing to him? Then 2 minutes later he's STILL tying him up. If the human player tries that, instant 2 minutes the second you activate the tie-up.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Or even better, how about when the AI starts to tie-up the player in front of the net before you even think of passing to him? Then 2 minutes later he's STILL tying him up. If the human player tries that, instant 2 minutes the second you activate the tie-up.

Really? When I am in front of the net and actually can tie up a player, I do so for about 3 seconds before letting go. So long as he is close to the slot, I don't get called for interference and that is when I anticipate a pass coming to him. He doesn't have the puck and I don't get a penalty.
  • Yes, exactly! You can do it, but it's for a short amount of time and it has to be in the context that you're anticipating a pass. If you try to tie up and he's not expecting a pass, the game gives you a penalty for interference. I don't get those often, but I have gotten them from time to time when I've gotten a little too anxious.

Next time you play, if you're playing 1v1 like HUT or VS. pay attention to the AI defenders in front of their net and see how long they tie up their players for.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Yes, exactly! You can do it, but it's for a short amount of time and it has to be in the context that you're anticipating a pass. If you try to tie up and he's not expecting a pass, the game gives you a penalty for interference. I don't get those often, but I have gotten them from time to time when I've gotten a little too anxious.

Next time you play, if you're playing 1v1 like HUT or VS. pay attention to the AI defenders in front of their net and see how long they tie up their players for.

Sadly I only play EASHL, so I am guessing rules are a little different. When I tie up a player, I cannot say if he is anticipating a pass or not, but I tie him up anyways. So long as it is a short period, I don't get called. They just don't trigger as easily as 18 and prior. Sometimes they just don't happen, no matter what I do or for
    how long.
  • yeah shoving in front of the net is a different animal and this year AI is redonkulous with getting away with interference near their own net. EA has had their problems with this at different stages through the years. you used to be able to just smoke people in front of the net without ever getting a call.
  • This is a grey area - as you are allowed to battle for position and some light cross-checking is usually allowed in front of the net. The defensive player is shoving, not checking. They are both facing each other. If the player gets knocked down it is a penalty. I think a few shoves there is fine.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    nickels55 wrote: »
    This is a grey area - as you are allowed to battle for position and some light cross-checking is usually allowed in front of the net. The defensive player is shoving, not checking. They are both facing each other. If the player gets knocked down it is a penalty. I think a few shoves there is fine.

Then explain why his "shoving" takes away nearly 25% stamina, which is basically the same as a decent body check. Look again at the video, It isn't the defensive player that is shoving, but rather the offensive player.

Simple, the AI can abuse certain physics in the game. How many years now can they destroy you with a body check with almost no momentum? No human player is as effective as that with body checks unless great momentum or velocity is used.
  • majjama_26
    175 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    nickels55 wrote: »
    This is a grey area - as you are allowed to battle for position and some light cross-checking is usually allowed in front of the net. The defensive player is shoving, not checking. They are both facing each other. If the player gets knocked down it is a penalty. I think a few shoves there is fine.

I'm not in front of the net though. I'm literally being checked and I can't move. The distance from my body from the puck is the circumference of the entire faceoff circle and I'm still being pushed nearly behind the net. The only reason the AI stops pushing me is because his team got control of the puck.

What is happening here is literally the NHL definition of interference.

Rule 625. Interference. Interference is defined as when a player uses his body ("pick" or "block") to impede the progress of an opponent (non-puck carrier) with no effort to play the puck, maintain normal foot speed or maintain an established skating lane.
  • If it's EA AI, it cheats. And they made them a lot more "cheaty" this year, esp in EASHL.
  • Clear cut interference. Two minute minor, go to the box, not even remotely questionable.
  • HoodHoppers
    1486 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    kapitanron wrote: »
    If it's EA AI, it cheats. And they made them a lot more "cheaty" this year, esp in EASHL.

Which is hilarious because we all asked them to tone it down and the beta they were so much improved. Every year. Every damn year. I gave them the benefit of the doubt cuz they said they weren’t catering to the casual players and then they screwed over the die hards. I learned my lesson. Never pre-order. Never ever pre-order with this company. Second hand is the life for me cuz they ain't takin no more of my moneyyyy

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on