EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Dynamic difficulty is ruining versus play

Replies

• In online vs games, there should never be any boost for any team. The only thing that should matter is skill, roster and luck. If you have the skill and roster to be in Div 1 you should constantly run over opponents from lower divisions with bad teams. Sure, now and then you should have a hard time winning because of bad luck, bad concentration or your opponent is playing great by limiting your chances to a minimum and have one or two fluke goals. This kind of scenario is not random, it is programmed to happen as of now. It´s absurd to even believe it is normal that such games can happen twice in a row and the reality is that i can happen 15 games in a row.

I´m so sad that EA has destroyed this game. I have lost interest and this is the only game i have regularly played for the last 20+ years. I have bought a copy every single year. When they removed it from PC i bought an Xbox just to be able to play NHL. I haven't been playing for the last weeks but played some games yesterday and won a game 4-1 and was pissed after because i was battling both the opponent and the game. Switched to VS and gone was the absurd ai behaviour, not sure if it will be back if i get ranked high enough though.

Not too sure about this one - I play almost strictly VS play and it's painfully obvious when the game is doing all it can to promote a close finish. Passes go 50 feet ahead of intended targets on stretch passes, players can't pick up the puck, your team is slower to every loose puck and the opposing D can chase out of position every play only to make a pass to a wide open guy and before you can blink you have 2 defenders covering you like a swarm of pack rats. I've played 4 VS games over the past 2 days and every single game I have experienced these issues, most notable of them all is just the overall sluggish skating of every member of your team. It's hard most of the time to even turn the game on anymore as I usually spend more time being frustrated that I do enjoying the game, which is what most people play video games for to begin with. I'm optimistic with the beta rollback that we can soon head back into the right direction, I'm just not so sure it matters as the apparent disconnect between the community and devs will likely land the game back in the same place it is now with 1.03.

• Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.

So this is why my AI keeps stepping up into my skating lane and then doesn't do anything after , they just prevent me from making a defensive move ... I see ...

• Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    headup81 wrote: »
    Sinbin I'm curious as to what is your record typically?

I win more than I lose. Not heavily. I'm definitely not a top 500 player. I play for fun and don't have a win at all costs mentality so I don't exploit the game.

As I suspected. So in your opinion does someone who is just over a 500 have a valid opinion on DDA? So maybe just maybe you’re not seeing DDA because it is there for players like you in the first place. I’m not trying to be rude but from this point forward your opinions on DDA are invalid to me.

Everyone has a valid opinion on DDA. It's an opinion. Not a fact. If you think that only top players get there because the game hands them their wins and losses without skill being involved, that's your opinion. I'm accountable for my own play. I know why I win and lose. It's not because the computer scripts the outcome for me. It's my opinion that people who blame DDA just aren't as good as they think they are. They need to have something to push the blame on to instead of look at where they could improve. Part of getting good at this game is recognizing your faults and correcting them. If you think you're the best and can't improve, you're not. Why do you think professional players, musicians, artisans, etc, keep practicing? To get better. No matter how good they are. There is no DDA, no scripting, no ice tilt. I can watch how a game plays out and see why the outcome happened the way it did.

Nobody from ea has come out and said DDA doesnt exist. Have you noticed?? Id think you would get tired of trying to argue its not there considering how long this thread has been going. I also think you are in the minority on this.

There was a big post on reddit from their community manager saying it doesn't exist. Madden and FIFA also made statements it's not in their games.

Can you show me a game where DDA happens? Can you get some video showing precisely when it kicks in and the computer is just like... well, buddy is gonna quit playing so we better script the win for him! Do you really think EA is going to cater to fragile egos like that? They have said many times now that there is no ice tilt. It's a tired, old argument. They don't want it in their game. Period. It ruins the competitive nature of the game and they're aware of that. You need to learn how to be accountable for your losses. That's all it is. There's no need to blame the game because you got out played or because a bad bounce caused you to lose. In the end you lost because your opponent scored more than you. That's it. The computer doesn't sympathize with the guy that's going to lose and rig the game in their favor. It's absurd people believe this exists in NHL when it's so plain to see it doesn't.
  • Sinbin wrote: »

I win more than I lose. Not heavily. I'm definitely not a top 500 player. I play for fun and don't have a win at all costs mentality so I don't exploit the game.

As I suspected. So in your opinion does someone who is just over a 500 have a valid opinion on DDA? So maybe just maybe you’re not seeing DDA because it is there for players like you in the first place. I’m not trying to be rude but from this point forward your opinions on DDA are invalid to me.

Everyone has a valid opinion on DDA. It's an opinion. Not a fact. If you think that only top players get there because the game hands them their wins and losses without skill being involved, that's your opinion. I'm accountable for my own play. I know why I win and lose. It's not because the computer scripts the outcome for me. It's my opinion that people who blame DDA just aren't as good as they think they are. They need to have something to push the blame on to instead of look at where they could improve. Part of getting good at this game is recognizing your faults and correcting them. If you think you're the best and can't improve, you're not. Why do you think professional players, musicians, artisans, etc, keep practicing? To get better. No matter how good they are. There is no DDA, no scripting, no ice tilt. I can watch how a game plays out and see why the outcome happened the way it did.

Nobody from ea has come out and said DDA doesnt exist. Have you noticed?? Id think you would get tired of trying to argue its not there considering how long this thread has been going. I also think you are in the minority on this.

There was a big post on reddit from their community manager saying it doesn't exist. Madden and FIFA also made statements it's not in their games.

Can you show me a game where DDA happens? Can you get some video showing precisely when it kicks in and the computer is just like... well, buddy is gonna quit playing so we better script the win for him! Do you really think EA is going to cater to fragile egos like that? They have said many times now that there is no ice tilt. It's a tired, old argument. They don't want it in their game. Period. It ruins the competitive nature of the game and they're aware of that. You need to learn how to be accountable for your losses. That's all it is. There's no need to blame the game because you got out played or because a bad bounce caused you to lose. In the end you lost because your opponent scored more than you. That's it. The computer doesn't sympathize with the guy that's going to lose and rig the game in their favor. It's absurd people believe this exists in NHL when it's so plain to see it doesn't.

The AI sometimes becomes garbage in vs games and I attribute this to server connection quality.

My friend had this very discussion with me yesterday. Was in a very close VS game, 0-0 in the third period and all of a sudden his goalie becomes brain dead after close to 25 shots. ended up losing 3-1 and one of those goals was a garbage unscreened wrister from about 40 feet out. Why did his goalie suddenly become clueless when in fact prior to that he was an absolute stud first 2 periods.
  • Not too sure about this one - I play almost strictly VS play and it's painfully obvious when the game is doing all it can to promote a close finish. Passes go 50 feet ahead of intended targets on stretch passes, players can't pick up the puck, your team is slower to every loose puck and the opposing D can chase out of position every play only to make a pass to a wide open guy and before you can blink you have 2 defenders covering you like a swarm of pack rats. I've played 4 VS games over the past 2 days and every single game I have experienced these issues, most notable of them all is just the overall sluggish skating of every member of your team. It's hard most of the time to even turn the game on anymore as I usually spend more time being frustrated that I do enjoying the game, which is what most people play video games for to begin with. I'm optimistic with the beta rollback that we can soon head back into the right direction, I'm just not so sure it matters as the apparent disconnect between the community and devs will likely land the game back in the same place it is now with 1.03.

Well, i have only 20 games in VS so far which is a bad sample size to claim anything. It was an instant difference switching from HUT to VS and it was more a statement that HUT is broken and I cannot tell if VS is as well.

It´s absurd that you think it does not exist. It´s also absurd that you are still here defending EA instead of playing the game that you seem to have no problem with. Once again, Read the DDA papers to understand WHY it would benefit EA to implement such logic in their games, It´s their own words. Their own words contradict your whole argumentation...
  • Not too sure about this one - I play almost strictly VS play and it's painfully obvious when the game is doing all it can to promote a close finish. Passes go 50 feet ahead of intended targets on stretch passes, players can't pick up the puck, your team is slower to every loose puck and the opposing D can chase out of position every play only to make a pass to a wide open guy and before you can blink you have 2 defenders covering you like a swarm of pack rats. I've played 4 VS games over the past 2 days and every single game I have experienced these issues, most notable of them all is just the overall sluggish skating of every member of your team. It's hard most of the time to even turn the game on anymore as I usually spend more time being frustrated that I do enjoying the game, which is what most people play video games for to begin with. I'm optimistic with the beta rollback that we can soon head back into the right direction, I'm just not so sure it matters as the apparent disconnect between the community and devs will likely land the game back in the same place it is now with 1.03.

Well, i have only 20 games in VS so far which is a bad sample size to claim anything. It was an instant difference switching from HUT to VS and it was more a statement that HUT is broken and I cannot tell if VS is as well.

I can assure that this was not something I've ever written in this forum - I've actually never played a game of HUT in my life. Really confused.....

The AI sometimes becomes garbage in vs games and I attribute this to server connection quality.

My friend had this very discussion with me yesterday. Was in a very close VS game, 0-0 in the third period and all of a sudden his goalie becomes brain dead after close to 25 shots. ended up losing 3-1 and one of those goals was a garbage unscreened wrister from about 40 feet out. Why did his goalie suddenly become clueless when in fact prior to that he was an absolute stud first 2 periods.

I've asked the devs this so much but get no answer , I can only assume it's because simply they do not know and cannot answer this question, part of it is because they wanted the stamina bar to be a surprise on NHL 19 , same reason Ben Ross wouldn't admit that computer had no passing logic as they wanted that to be a surprise feature for NHL 18 , I had to harass him to get him to finally say look, here's the problem, people thought I was nuts harassing him, until he answered my question properly , and proved even though I'm slightly crazy I'm not delusional and I know what I'm talking about ... Anyways , how does goaltender endurance work ?!?!

NHL 19 eashl goalies have no endurance bar , yet endurance is a stat ...

So I can guess that goalies do not lose endurance per save, or movement they make ... Can't assume they lose it over time because endurance is the time it takes to recover your endurance, all players last the same amount of time on ice ...

So how does goaltender endurance work, I have been asking for years , still no answer as again the ea devs probably have no clue themselves .

Goaltenders should lose endurance for each movement / save made, and recover when they are standing still, much like skaters . But do they lose endurance throughout the period , does it work differently than players where a goalie with 50 endurance would be dead tired at ten minutes into the game and one at 99 would be in the last minute ?!?!

Would be great if a dev knew and could finally tell us , or just make a book or game mechanics so we can know how to adapt ...
  • j0rtsu67
    464 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I can assure that this was not something I've ever written in this forum - I've actually never played a game of HUT in my life. Really confused.....
    You got me confused as well... 😮😂

Well, it seems that quoting is was messed up. 🤔

Edit: I deleted some quotes and it fixed it, there were too many I guess, or smthn...
  • Dixonyu wrote: »

I've asked the devs this so much but get no answer , I can only assume it's because simply they do not know and cannot answer this question, part of it is because they wanted the stamina bar to be a surprise on NHL 19 , same reason Ben Ross wouldn't admit that computer had no passing logic as they wanted that to be a surprise feature for NHL 18 , I had to harass him to get him to finally say look, here's the problem, people thought I was nuts harassing him, until he answered my question properly , and proved even though I'm slightly crazy I'm not delusional and I know what I'm talking about ... Anyways , how does goaltender endurance work ?!?!

So I can guess that goalies do not lose endurance per save, or movement they make ... Can't assume they lose it over time because endurance is the time it takes to recover your endurance, all players last the same amount of time on ice ...

So how does goaltender endurance work, I have been asking for years , still no answer as again the ea devs probably have no clue themselves .

Goaltenders should lose endurance for each movement / save made, and recover when they are standing still, much like skaters . But do they lose endurance throughout the period , does it work differently than players where a goalie with 50 endurance would be dead tired at ten minutes into the game and one at 99 would be in the last minute ?!?!

Would be great if a dev knew and could finally tell us , or just make a book or game mechanics so we can know how to adapt ...

That is interesting indeed.

For what it's worth, human goalies in EASHL have the same stamina bar as every other player on the ice. Happened maybe twice that I noticed for some reason it went down about 15-20%. Normally, it doesn't move regardless the number of shots you face. Have no clue if this applies to AI goalies regardless of the game mode played.

Interesting indeed.
  • Dixonyu wrote: »

That is interesting indeed.

For what it's worth, human goalies in EASHL have the same stamina bar as every other player on the ice. Happened maybe twice that I noticed for some reason it went down about 15-20%. Normally, it doesn't move regardless the number of shots you face. Have no clue if this applies to AI goalies regardless of the game mode played.

Interesting indeed.

Took them about five years to listen to me inn balancing faceoffs ... Maybe it will take that long to get an answer ... As I'm the guy on the last forums that pointed out faceoff flaws and how to balance it , now if ea can only make it timing based so backhand stick lift has a .5 second advantage over a forehand drawback , then faceoff is becoming more about skill and less about rock paper scissors/ connection speeds ...
  • magicmittsmase: I can assure that this was not something I've ever written in this forum - I've actually never played a game of HUT in my life. Really confused.....

I only meant that I have played too few vs games to say anything about that mode.
  • Brygelsmack
    13 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    While I 100% believe in ice tilt, momentum, dynamic difficulty or whatever, just saying that you're losing is the worst way to prove that it exists, OP.

This year the most obvious give away for me is how the game slows down your player on a breakaway. You can FEEL it. You have a burst of speed when you get a breakaway then all of a sudden your player slows down and you're caught before you even reach the opposing blue line.
  • Curious, has any developer here explicitly said that DDA doesn't exist in this game? If so, can you quote them?
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Curious, has any developer here explicitly said that DDA doesn't exist in this game? If so, can you quote them?

Ben has stated there is no tilt or DDA. I have seen it myself. Tyler Horsfall has also stated as much on twitter or wherever he hangs out.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Curious, has any developer here explicitly said that DDA doesn't exist in this game? If so, can you quote them?

Ben has stated there is no tilt or DDA. I have seen it myself. Tyler Horsfall has also stated as much on twitter or wherever he hangs out.

Ya. Understood. I keep running into hearsay, but thus far no one has been been able to quote me that it's not explicitly implemented. Might missed it in this thread, but the only dev notes I see here is the dev answering specific instances of online play.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited March 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »

Ya. Understood. I keep running into hearsay, but thus far no one has been been able to quote me that it's not explicitly implemented. Might missed it in this thread, but the only dev notes I see here is the dev answering specific instances of online play.

There is no DDA in NHL
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • j0rtsu67
    464 posts Member
    NHLDev wrote: »

There is no DDA in NHL
    Good to know.

Are player attributes changed/modified somehow during the game? Human or AI?
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited March 2019
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

There is no DDA in NHL
    Good to know.

Are player attributes changed/modified somehow during the game? Human or AI?

The way the attributes are used throughout the game is consistent. There are negative impacts on players such as how fatigue or error models in different mechanics impacts them but nothin that isn’t a consistent effect for all players throughout the game.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

There is no DDA in NHL

Sweet. This applies to offline as well, correct?