EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Dynamic difficulty is ruining versus play

Replies

  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.
  • COGSx86
    773 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.

    I'm gonna have to disagree, this update should of been done many years ago. But this exact tuner updates, (released yesterday) shows the opposite, of what you just said.

    Tuned down AI aggression towards the puck carrier and loose pucks in Online VS and HUT
    Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.

    I'm gonna have to disagree, this update should of been done many years ago. But this exact tuner updates, (released yesterday) shows the opposite, of what you just said.

    Tuned down AI aggression towards the puck carrier and loose pucks in Online VS and HUT
    Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.

    Ok, so I guess 1 tuner update to fix skill zoning over 4 years proves me wrong....

    Just wait and see first, then we can talk about it. Hopefully, you are right but honestly, this isn't my issue as I never play HUT or VS.
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.

    I'm gonna have to disagree, this update should of been done many years ago. But this exact tuner updates, (released yesterday) shows the opposite, of what you just said.

    Tuned down AI aggression towards the puck carrier and loose pucks in Online VS and HUT
    Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.

    Ok, so I guess 1 tuner update to fix skill zoning over 4 years proves me wrong....

    Just wait and see first, then we can talk about it. Hopefully, you are right but honestly, this isn't my issue as I never play HUT or VS.

    If you never play HUT you won’t experience DDA. It’s only to keep people who are not as skilled involved in the mode to stimulate pack sales. From a business prospective it’s genius from a gameplay enjoyment aspect it’s awful. If EA weren’t so lazy and had a better matchmaking system like MLB the Show they wouldn’t need to implement it but EA always takes the quick easy way out with this series.

    The tuners are a different story. In my opinion every tuner they release makes this game more and more like NHL 18. They seem to cater to the casual gamer with these tuners over creating a better hockey experience. Tuners do not have anything to do with DDA
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.

    I'm gonna have to disagree, this update should of been done many years ago. But this exact tuner updates, (released yesterday) shows the opposite, of what you just said.

    Tuned down AI aggression towards the puck carrier and loose pucks in Online VS and HUT
    Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.

    Ok, so I guess 1 tuner update to fix skill zoning over 4 years proves me wrong....

    Just wait and see first, then we can talk about it. Hopefully, you are right but honestly, this isn't my issue as I never play HUT or VS.

    If you never play HUT you won’t experience DDA. It’s only to keep people who are not as skilled involved in the mode to stimulate pack sales. From a business prospective it’s genius from a gameplay enjoyment aspect it’s awful. If EA weren’t so lazy and had a better matchmaking system like MLB the Show they wouldn’t need to implement it but EA always takes the quick easy way out with this series.

    The tuners are a different story. In my opinion every tuner they release makes this game more and more like NHL 18. They seem to cater to the casual gamer with these tuners over creating a better hockey experience. Tuners do not have anything to do with DDA

    There are many people saying ice tilt, or DDA exists in EASHL as well....
  • As a Vs player that does a few drop-ins every now and then, I can assure you that any ice tilt, DDA or questionable gamedesign (whatever you wanna call it), do not exist in EASHL.
    Not to the same extent, not even close...
    Just keep this in mind whenever you see players that are perfectly happy with NHL 19 vs the ones that hate it. EASHL players can't fathom what on earth the VS/HUT guys are on, and vice versa.
    Of course, this is a generalization. Still, everyone discussing this game should keep the difference in mind. It would help the constructiveness of the discussion a lot.
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    As a Vs player that does a few drop-ins every now and then, I can assure you that any ice tilt, DDA or questionable gamedesign (whatever you wanna call it), do not exist in EASHL.
    Not to the same extent, not even close...
    Just keep this in mind whenever you see players that are perfectly happy with NHL 19 vs the ones that hate it. EASHL players can't fathom what on earth the VS/HUT guys are on, and vice versa.
    Of course, this is a generalization. Still, everyone discussing this game should keep the difference in mind. It would help the constructiveness of the discussion a lot.

    Are you saying that DDA does exist in VS then? I am a 50-50 split playing both VS and EASHL. I don't see a difference in either of the modes. Whether you're locked onto one player or in control of the entire team, no DDA is there. So in my opinion, we shouldn't split up and discuss these modes as separates because overall, it does not exist in either.

    Until there is an official statement from EA or someone providing the evidence (other than a picture) that proves that DDA does indeed exist, I am not going to believe anything of these conspiracy theories.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    SpillGal wrote: »
    As a Vs player that does a few drop-ins every now and then, I can assure you that any ice tilt, DDA or questionable gamedesign (whatever you wanna call it), do not exist in EASHL.
    Not to the same extent, not even close...
    Just keep this in mind whenever you see players that are perfectly happy with NHL 19 vs the ones that hate it. EASHL players can't fathom what on earth the VS/HUT guys are on, and vice versa.
    Of course, this is a generalization. Still, everyone discussing this game should keep the difference in mind. It would help the constructiveness of the discussion a lot.

    Are you saying that DDA does exist in VS then? I am a 50-50 split playing both VS and EASHL. I don't see a difference in either of the modes. Whether you're locked onto one player or in control of the entire team, no DDA is there. So in my opinion, we shouldn't split up and discuss these modes as separates because overall, it does not exist in either.

    Until there is an official statement from EA or someone providing the evidence (other than a picture) that proves that DDA does indeed exist, I am not going to believe anything of these conspiracy theories.

    EA has made numerous official statements. Here's one of them: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/8ddfjb/ea_input_on_tiltddainternat_lag/

    I'm almost certain they also made an official statement for the FIFA crowd which also largely believe this is in the game.

  • Are you saying that DDA does exist in VS then? I am a 50-50 split playing both VS and EASHL. I don't see a difference in either of the modes. Whether you're locked onto one player or in control of the entire team, no DDA is there. So in my opinion, we shouldn't split up and discuss these modes as separates because overall, it does not exist in either.

    Nah, I'm not saying DDA exists in Vs... Chill man. :)
    What I'm saying though, is that you will see a lot more of pucks going straight through your controlled player in Vs, than you would in EASHL.
    Also, there is a clear variance from game to game, in how good your AI will be, which of course also applies to your opponent.
    Call this whatever you want. DDA, Ice tilt, Bad design, Crappy network handling or whatever. What I'm saying is that this is way more prevalent in VS/HUT than in EASHL.
  • HockeyCityUSA
    500 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    SpillGal wrote: »

    Are you saying that DDA does exist in VS then? I am a 50-50 split playing both VS and EASHL. I don't see a difference in either of the modes. Whether you're locked onto one player or in control of the entire team, no DDA is there. So in my opinion, we shouldn't split up and discuss these modes as separates because overall, it does not exist in either.

    Nah, I'm not saying DDA exists in Vs... Chill man. :)
    What I'm saying though, is that you will see a lot more of pucks going straight through your controlled player in Vs, than you would in EASHL.
    Also, there is a clear variance from game to game, in how good your AI will be, which of course also applies to your opponent.
    Call this whatever you want. DDA, Ice tilt, Bad design, Crappy network handling or whatever. What I'm saying is that this is way more prevalent in VS/HUT than in EASHL.

    I was just wondering what your opinion was since you play both modes. It's just funny that you say that when other threads say the complete opposite. They don't notice in VS/HUT, but it's definitely in EASHL.
    Sinbin wrote: »
    SpillGal wrote: »
    As a Vs player that does a few drop-ins every now and then, I can assure you that any ice tilt, DDA or questionable gamedesign (whatever you wanna call it), do not exist in EASHL.
    Not to the same extent, not even close...
    Just keep this in mind whenever you see players that are perfectly happy with NHL 19 vs the ones that hate it. EASHL players can't fathom what on earth the VS/HUT guys are on, and vice versa.
    Of course, this is a generalization. Still, everyone discussing this game should keep the difference in mind. It would help the constructiveness of the discussion a lot.

    Are you saying that DDA does exist in VS then? I am a 50-50 split playing both VS and EASHL. I don't see a difference in either of the modes. Whether you're locked onto one player or in control of the entire team, no DDA is there. So in my opinion, we shouldn't split up and discuss these modes as separates because overall, it does not exist in either.

    Until there is an official statement from EA or someone providing the evidence (other than a picture) that proves that DDA does indeed exist, I am not going to believe anything of these conspiracy theories.

    EA has made numerous official statements. Here's one of them: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLHUT/comments/8ddfjb/ea_input_on_tiltddainternat_lag/

    I'm almost certain they also made an official statement for the FIFA crowd which also largely believe this is in the game.

    I'm confused. I clicked the link and the "official statement" made by flopfish is what I just said. Were you posting the link to argue against or with me, because I don't see anything stating it does exist, but just confirms everything that I have been saying.

    Here's the post flopfish made in case anyone is looking for it. Though it is a long read, it will bring up the many different reasons to why one may believe DDA exists. I'm sure some will argue we are being lied to again, but I really do think it is all mental. (Sorry if it has already been posted)


    Forewarning, this will be the only time I answer this as it’s repetitive and tedious and no matter what gets said, people will just choose to ignore it if it doesn't fit their beliefs.

    Ice tilt doesn’t exist. It might as well be a new term for cognitive biases in games. There are a few reasons why people feel like it "exists":

    Internet Connection (sluggishness/lack of responsiveness)
    As mentioned in here, connection is the only factor that will make the game feel “sluggish”.

    This is something I experience at home myself; when my family is on the internet using even light applications (things like Facebook, streaming music, etc.), my connection isn’t as smooth. It causes that feeling of sluggishness because your ping (response time) is higher which means your inputs are slightly delayed. They sometimes do this in the middle of games which is where it feels sluggish (and oh god when they facetime someone RIP my connection).

    If you’re experience decreases and increases during games, it’s likely just your internet connection fluctuating especially if you are on a wireless connection.

    Potential Solutions:
    If you’re on wireless connection and can get a hardwired ethernet connection, it should help a lot. It’s made a world of difference for myself.
    Regularly monitor your internet speeds. Normally I check my internet connection once a week if everything seems fine; if at some point it seems sluggish, I’ll check it to make sure nothing is up there. Some tools for this are [Speedtest.net](speedtest.net) and Testmy.net. If there’s issues with the speed you have compared to what you’re supposed to have, contact your ISP.
    Make sure your equipment is up running properly and is up to date. Things such as making sure you’re using at least a Cat-5 ethernet cable (Cat-5e and Cat-6 cables are better) and that you’re using up-to-date modems/routers/switches.
    Finally, if you are limited to wifi, try to be as close to the wireless access point as possible. Speed will drop off over distance/how many walls there are between you and the access point.
    One not related to internet, but playing on a gaming monitor with 0-1ms response rate will be slightly more responsive than a TV with a higher response rate that do impact your play.
    Cognitive Biases (These things are fascinating)
    The TL;DR here: everyone naturally has biases that can take a lot of work to overcome. I’ll list a few of the main ones here, but man the human brain is interesting. If you’ve got some time to kill, I’ve laid out three of the main ones below.

    Negativity Bias
    Negativity bias extremely common and it is the tendency to be more impacted and affected by negative/bad moments than good ones. This means that you will remember bad things that happen over good ones. Here’s more on Negativity Bias.

    This means you’re more likely to remember a bad poke or goal against than one for (this happens to pretty much everyone).

    Recency Effect
    Recency effect is pretty much the fact that you’re more likely to remember something that happened recently as opposed to something that happened earlier. Where this applies in game is if you have a bad goal go in near the end of the game, you’ll remember that moment more than if one went in your favour earlier on in the game.

    This can also get compounded with negativity biases, as you’re more likely to remember and be impacted by a recent negative event than a positive one.

    Confirmation Bias
    Confirmation bias is also something that is very common. Confirmation bias is the tendency to only accept evidence that supports your beliefs while ignoring others that go against it. It’s even evident in this thread. The notion of “no matter what EA tells us, they’re wrong” is a confirmation bias because no matter what anyone says against it, it’s instantly dismissed and rejected even if it doesn’t come from EA.

    An IRL example would be people who believe the Earth is flat but Mars is round, despite numerous pieces and evidence pointing out that the Earth is indeed round. More on Confirmation Bias + Wiki.

    The Mental and Physical Effects of Frustration.
    All the cognitive biases can further add to your frustration when you’re not winning. There is a sensation associated with all of this that’s called Tilt; it’s the mental state where your frustration causes you to adopt a less than optimal strategy.

    When you’re frustrated, you will likely be over-aggressive or make more mistakes than if you were at a calm level. This can cause everything to spiral and can also cause the biases to further compound on each other, essentially spiraling into a never-ending pit of negativity and rarely recognizing the positives.

    As much as being good at a game requires physical skill, coordination, and knowledge, the mental side of keeping calm and your emotions in check is often overlooked as it has a larger impact than what you might think.

    I know I can become frustrated playing any game, and it’s super important to keep my frustrations in check in order to be playing the best I can. The study of sport performance psychology (and gaming too) is just beginning, however generally top athletes and gamers perform their best when calm and not acting out in frustration.

    Here are some things that can help keep your frustrations in check:

    Having a cold glass of water nearby to drink when frustrated
    This helps your brain focus on the coldness of the water rather than your frustrations
    Listening to more calming/chill music
    This will again help your brain focus on remaining calm. Don’t get me wrong, pump up music is good to get the juices flowing. However, when it’s game time try some more calming music. I’m not saying to go out and play jazz (which is apparently the best), but maybe don’t play Lose Yourself on repeat because it can cause you to lose yourself.
    Deep Breathing
    Deep breathing is an incredible tool. If something bad happens (i.e. a goal against, penalty, etc.), take a few seconds to do some deep breaths (about 5-6 seconds in and 5-6 seconds out) and focus on your breathing. Once again, this takes your mind off the frustration.
    Focus on the next play
    Leave the last play behind you; it’s done, it’s over with and you can review it after the game. If you keep focusing on it, you won’t be thinking in the now fully which will hinder your performance. Thinking about the now will also focus your brain away from the frustration.
    Wrap Up
    There’s no such thing as ice tilt. Every game you play uses the same difficulty (All-star) and same tuner (Competitive). You can view these tuners in Settings > Gameplay Sliders (make sure you have the Competitive Slider selected).

    In terms of the sport of hockey, it, at its core, is an inherently random sport. It’s why the best teams in the league (Nashville, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh) only have a 60-70% chance to win over the worst teams in the league (Buffalo, Vancouver, Arizona).

    In NHL, you’ll have games where you might get a couple extra bounces and that’s the difference. Also, repetitive behavior will cause your opponent to adjust to how you’re playing which is why opponents can feel stronger as games go along because you haven’t changed your plan and have become predictable.

    Additionally, in hockey and sport in general there is the phenomenon of ‘Score Effects’, where teams with the lead tend to inherently play more defensive to try to shut the game down, which in turn allows the opposition more offensive opportunities which causes the comebacks to happen. This also happens in video games like NHL. This article by someone who is now working in the NHL is a great breakdown of it. If you’re interested in learning more on score effects, Hockey Graphs has many excellent articles on it and hockey analytics in general.

    Where real hockey and video game hockey are different is that in video game hockey, people constantly trying to and are able to successfully generate more high percentage scoring chances in NHL 18 than real life hockey. While there are a couple in game that aren’t realistic (and they’re always being worked on), for the most part cross creases, breakaways with backhand forehand/other moves, shots from the slot, etc. are high percentage scoring chances in real life that people are able to generate more in NHL than real life hockey. It's why some

    Anyways, super long post but it doesn't exist.



    [edited bold font - Socair]

    Post edited by Socair on
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    COGSx86 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    Fatboyee wrote: »
    Better yet give us a full sim otp with no dynamic difficulty or latency compensation

    There is no dynamic difficulty. If people here can't handle the amount of realism already in the game, there's no way they could handle full sim.

    You mean the realism of a much slower rated player being able to to turn around and close a 15 foot gap between him and your 95 speed guy on a breakaway to break up the play last minute?

    Or the realism of how one entire team is faster than the entire other team?

    Or do you mean the realism of 50% of your games being lost because despite dominating every aspect of the game and only giving up 7 shots on goal but your highly rated goalie let 4 in barely even moving to make the save?....because that’s the realism of how an NHL goalie plays....

    Or maybe you mean the realism of how you knock a puck carrier down to the ice but he can still get up and take off with the puck before your standing skater can gather it in?

    Perhaps you are talking about the realism of how you sweep, poke, or knock the puck off an opponents stick only to have it get vacuum sucked right back to their stick or a teammates stick while your guys have reversed polarity and the puck avoids them the like the plague?

    Wait a minute?....I know what you mean...you are talking about the realism of a guy skating with the puck through 3 of your defenders bouncing off them like Superman and maintaining the puck...

    Yup you nailed it... this game has so much realism in it us voo doo dynamic difficulty exposers can’t handle it. Good Lord it’s astounding to me how people ignore the obvious.

    Show some video of faster players being outskated. There's a lot going on with fatigue. As a defender, my energy is almost always green. If I switch to forward, it's very frequently red.

    Just because they other team knows how to take advantage of the few chances they're given, it doesn't mean the game is forcing you to lose. If you took fewer, good shots and still won, you'd blame the game though and not your skill?

    I make plenty of pokes and sweeps that go away from the play.

    I haven't seen someone skating through 3 defenders and keeping the puck. Maybe I play with people that know how to defend better though.

    Stop trying to skate through a guy laying on the ice in front of the puck. Go around them. Don't hit them from the side on the boards where that can happen and make the puck tough to get because, again, you can't skate through the downed player.






    All of the things you stated get indicated in this video. Enjoy.

    Where exactly?

    What you mean, where??? It's all over that game.


    He means at what time in the game do these occur? That everyone talks about? I watched 2 mins and all I seen was scrub play.

    I don't believe in DDA or tilt.

    Yes, that Toronto player was horrible on D, as alot of forwards are. Learning to score isn't the hardest thing to do in this game if a player puts a little time and effort into it. However, there aren't that many players that know what to do when they don't have the puck and these are the people that EA end up catering to.

    I'm gonna have to disagree, this update should of been done many years ago. But this exact tuner updates, (released yesterday) shows the opposite, of what you just said.

    Tuned down AI aggression towards the puck carrier and loose pucks in Online VS and HUT
    Further muting of AI defensive actions in Online VS and HUT. There will still be some rare cases where the AI will perform a defensive action if the puck comes loose as we want them to defend passes and their logic works similar on pass receptions and loose puck acquisition.
    Improved cases where an AI goalie was reacting too quickly to passes even when not reading a pass.

    Ok, so I guess 1 tuner update to fix skill zoning over 4 years proves me wrong....

    Just wait and see first, then we can talk about it. Hopefully, you are right but honestly, this isn't my issue as I never play HUT or VS.

    If you never play HUT you won’t experience DDA. It’s only to keep people who are not as skilled involved in the mode to stimulate pack sales. From a business prospective it’s genius from a gameplay enjoyment aspect it’s awful. If EA weren’t so lazy and had a better matchmaking system like MLB the Show they wouldn’t need to implement it but EA always takes the quick easy way out with this series.

    The tuners are a different story. In my opinion every tuner they release makes this game more and more like NHL 18. They seem to cater to the casual gamer with these tuners over creating a better hockey experience. Tuners do not have anything to do with DDA

    There are many people saying ice tilt, or DDA exists in EASHL as well....

    I’ve never experienced it ever in EASHL. There are issues with the mode but I can’t say I’ve ever seen a single thing that resembles DDA in that mode.
  • Blanket denials by EA and blaming connection does not answer several key issues people experience and have asked EA to explain for two years now. If they respond at all it’s with the blanket denial. As I’ve said before I have even had a very good and appreciated private message with a Dev last year on the subject but when I asked him to explain a few specific things many are experiencing the conversation ended. There is a very good reason this debate goes on people are experiencing something and it’s not lag related and EAs refusal to address this, DDA, Ice Tilt, or a flaw in the game...whatever it is that’s happening, is solely their fault.
    They want the debate to end EA l? Answer the questions....
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Blanket denials by EA and blaming connection does not answer several key issues people experience and have asked EA to explain for two years now. If they respond at all it’s with the blanket denial. As I’ve said before I have even had a very good and appreciated private message with a Dev last year on the subject but when I asked him to explain a few specific things many are experiencing the conversation ended. There is a very good reason this debate goes on people are experiencing something and it’s not lag related and EAs refusal to address this, DDA, Ice Tilt, or a flaw in the game...whatever it is that’s happening, is solely their fault.
    They want the debate to end EA l? Answer the questions....

    They have answered the questions. What you also don't understand is what they say publicly can be held against them. They don't say these things if they aren't absolutely true. They have said for years that any form of ice tilt doesn't exist. People ask for official statements. Then they are given and still not believed. Competitive gamers today largely do not take accountability for their actions. It's as simple as that. They feel the game is forcing them to win and lose. What I don't get is why you guys keep playing if you think games are pre-determined or you don't have control over the outcome. Also, why are there people with amazing records? You think the all those wins were scripted because they game thinks they suck? It makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Blanket denials by EA and blaming connection does not answer several key issues people experience and have asked EA to explain for two years now. If they respond at all it’s with the blanket denial. As I’ve said before I have even had a very good and appreciated private message with a Dev last year on the subject but when I asked him to explain a few specific things many are experiencing the conversation ended. There is a very good reason this debate goes on people are experiencing something and it’s not lag related and EAs refusal to address this, DDA, Ice Tilt, or a flaw in the game...whatever it is that’s happening, is solely their fault.
    They want the debate to end EA l? Answer the questions....

    They have answered the questions. What you also don't understand is what they say publicly can be held against them. They don't say these things if they aren't absolutely true. They have said for years that any form of ice tilt doesn't exist. People ask for official statements. Then they are given and still not believed. Competitive gamers today largely do not take accountability for their actions. It's as simple as that. They feel the game is forcing them to win and lose. What I don't get is why you guys keep playing if you think games are pre-determined or you don't have control over the outcome. Also, why are there people with amazing records? You think the all those wins were scripted because they game thinks they suck? It makes no sense whatsoever.

    Because they cheese and glitch obviously...

    That's the one thing that many people cannot comprehend. They say the game must be scripted when they are losing with ridiculous stat lines in their favor. Yet if you post a picture showing the opposite, you are told you exploit the game.

    There is no rational thinking, the story is just changed to favor their opinion. EA responded and has stated it's not in the game. Players then ask why these results occur and they still get answers from EA, yet they instantly say they are lying or hiding something?

    What's ironic about all of this is when people are asked to provide evidence of DDA occurring, they are reluctant in doing so. A picture only shows so much as I have explained numerous times. Show us what's happening, because most of the time, it can be explained.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Blanket denials by EA and blaming connection does not answer several key issues people experience and have asked EA to explain for two years now. If they respond at all it’s with the blanket denial. As I’ve said before I have even had a very good and appreciated private message with a Dev last year on the subject but when I asked him to explain a few specific things many are experiencing the conversation ended. There is a very good reason this debate goes on people are experiencing something and it’s not lag related and EAs refusal to address this, DDA, Ice Tilt, or a flaw in the game...whatever it is that’s happening, is solely their fault.
    They want the debate to end EA l? Answer the questions....

    They have answered the questions. What you also don't understand is what they say publicly can be held against them. They don't say these things if they aren't absolutely true. They have said for years that any form of ice tilt doesn't exist. People ask for official statements. Then they are given and still not believed. Competitive gamers today largely do not take accountability for their actions. It's as simple as that. They feel the game is forcing them to win and lose. What I don't get is why you guys keep playing if you think games are pre-determined or you don't have control over the outcome. Also, why are there people with amazing records? You think the all those wins were scripted because they game thinks they suck? It makes no sense whatsoever.

    Because they cheese and glitch obviously...

    That's the one thing that many people cannot comprehend. They say the game must be scripted when they are losing with ridiculous stat lines in their favor. Yet if you post a picture showing the opposite, you are told you exploit the game.

    There is no rational thinking, the story is just changed to favor their opinion. EA responded and has stated it's not in the game. Players then ask why these results occur and they still get answers from EA, yetre they instantly say they are lying or hiding something?

    What's ironic about all of this is when people are asked to provide evidence of DDA occurring, they are reluctant in doing so. A picture only shows so much as I have explained numerous times. Show us what's happening, because most of the time, it can be explained.

    Well some players confuse fat man lag or delay with DDA/tilt. Couple that with most of the community thinks they are top tier players and you'll get a lot of conspiracy theories as to why they lose.
  • HoodHoppers
    836 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Really? If somebody is using Facebook in your house it will result in sluggishness?

    Really?Come on now....

    [Edited abusive formatting]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • HockeyCityUSA
    500 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Really? If somebody is using Facebook in your house it will result in sluggishness?

    Really? Come on now....
    [Edited abusive formatting]

    Yes this happens to my brother constantly. I have to listen to him yell at my dad all the time while we are in the middle of a game. If my dad uses YouTube, it will sometimes disconnect him from his game. This happens to him if he's wireless or has a wired connection. We get many losses when we run two's because of this.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    jake19ny wrote: »
    Blanket denials by EA and blaming connection does not answer several key issues people experience and have asked EA to explain for two years now. If they respond at all it’s with the blanket denial. As I’ve said before I have even had a very good and appreciated private message with a Dev last year on the subject but when I asked him to explain a few specific things many are experiencing the conversation ended. There is a very good reason this debate goes on people are experiencing something and it’s not lag related and EAs refusal to address this, DDA, Ice Tilt, or a flaw in the game...whatever it is that’s happening, is solely their fault.
    They want the debate to end EA l? Answer the questions....

    They have answered the questions. What you also don't understand is what they say publicly can be held against them. They don't say these things if they aren't absolutely true. They have said for years that any form of ice tilt doesn't exist. People ask for official statements. Then they are given and still not believed. Competitive gamers today largely do not take accountability for their actions. It's as simple as that. They feel the game is forcing them to win and lose. What I don't get is why you guys keep playing if you think games are pre-determined or you don't have control over the outcome. Also, why are there people with amazing records? You think the all those wins were scripted because they game thinks they suck? It makes no sense whatsoever.

    They have not answered the questions explaining specific things.

    I still play because when you get a good matchup where DDA is not needed I have tremendous fun, despite the games flaws, win or lose. The DDA is not so prevalent right now because most people have similar teams so I’m having more normal games than not. Two months from now it will become much more noticeable.

    It does not force wins and losses. It simply gives an advantage to weaker teams. You can still battle through it and win sometimes you can’t. If you are really good at the game you can battle through it and win more often than lose. In addition some guys, often the same names at the top of the HUT leader boards have a ridiculous amount of DNF wins because EA doesn’t go after the disconnect cheesers.
  • I'm still perplexed. On a wired connection. Your family members can't use Facebook. I can understand bit torrent or some heavy downloading program, but Facebook.

    Facebook.

    Those are the servers we are dealing with?
  • I'm still perplexed. On a wired connection. Your family members can't use Facebook. I can understand bit torrent or some heavy downloading program, but Facebook.

    Facebook.

    Those are the servers we are dealing with?

    Well the connection at my father's house isn't the greatest. When he goes into Facebook, my brother gets that stutter lag or the "fat" lag that people speak of. I don't think it has anything to do with the servers.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!