EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

EA NHL Sales - End of Hockey Gaming?

Prev134567
FakeHockey
173 posts Member
edited October 2018
First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
NHL 19 - TBD

4 consecutive years of a decline in sales. Wouldn't surprise me if 19 continues that trend.

EASHL is all but dead. Record low number of players. Tons of awful changes, both game play and menus. Massive match making troubles. "dynamic difficulty" or whatever you want to call it has been killing online gaming for years. Gone are the days of tripling an opponents attack time and winning 8-0. It takes less skill than ever to win. This game has gotten so bad that even when I win, it's not enjoyable.

Are we reaching a point where NHL video games will be a thing of the past due to EA's terrible implementation of anything they touch?

Replies

• maybe if they would listen to people and stop sinking all their attention into chel Hut and eashl and focus more on the offline aspects of the game instead of carbon copying each year with modes like Be a Pro and franchise with only minor changes and upgrades each year they would be doing a little better with sales.

They want to focus on the modes that they can make extra money from. In truth the decline in sales is not exclusive to NHL. Madden and Fifa are down over the last couple years also. My theory is all the focus is aimed at online play with little improvement and the roots of the game are being forgotten about. Give us what we want. A continuable Be A Pro/ franchise from year to year. A more in depth career like Madden had early in this decade. Why have we gone backwards on aspects of the game that built these franchises?
  • It's a good thing EA put 3vs3 6v6 drop in and same in club play,plus 1vs1vs1 and 3vs3 arcade in to thin out the small player base even more. This Gen taking out the ability to level your guy to a legend 3 with the cookie cutter builds killed the fanbase. This boost or player skills they added is still the same. Ea sugar coated and made it look like you are influencing the players attributes but in reality your not . Explain to me why a enforcer d who has max speed of I believe 75 can catch my sniper with 90 speed and full stamina from 10 feet behind. They are trying to get people to stop playing eashl and play there money stealing gambling game HUT.
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    NHL 09,10,11,12 were the glory days of this game, sales were high and increasing each year.

NHL 13 ruined it, and EA didn't change direction, they stayed the course with the NHL 13 TPS model and it has snowballed each and every year losing the community.

Back in the glory days not only did you have a robust gaming community, but they were cult followers and loyal. EA lost these cult followers and loyalists and the new community were simply gamers (not cult, not loyal).

If EA were smart they would go back to their roots and what worked, go back to NHL 11/12 era for NHL 20.
  • Once Red Dead Redemption is here most of us wont be playing NHL anyways B)

Other than a league game from time to time, you're right.
  • SaydaNeen
    47 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    08: ~500k
    09: ~950k
    10: ~1.2mill
    11: ~1.3mill
    12: ~1.3mill
    13: ~1.3mill
    14: ~1.1mill
    15: ~1.8mill (PS4, PS3, Xbox360, Xbox One)
    16: ~1.1mill
    17: ~1.1mill
    18: ~900k

http://www.vgchartz.com/

I wouldn't say the developers aren't trying, they have been implementing stuff here and there but I find this year they didn't have NEARLY enough time to test their new skating and physics before release. Whether it be stress test or simple fundamental gameplay testing. They've made big changes to the game since release, changes that happen in a beta test. I still see problems with puck collisions

I don't see NHL 19 doing too bad in sales, probably NHL 18 par. They marketed decently with the new skating, hitting physics and the "New" addition of Legend NHL Teams (didn't mention it was only in HUT and play now, and no actual Legend NHL teams).
  • EA doesn't get us. They are completely out of touch with their user base, and it boggles my mind. No one asked for 3's, and certainly no one asked for "1's". 1's a complete joke. Honestly, who at EA introduced the concept of this 1's thing? It's a joke...not to mention the clown gear they think anyone cares about.

Honestly, has anyone seen any gear on someone else and thought, "ooh, they look great, they must have really earned that cool outfit!"? No. No one cares about it. At least in previous versions, if you saw someone with a halfway tucked in jersey you knew they had hit 800 hits.

The drop in game itself is the single biggest joke of any aspect of the game they've ever released. Instead of adding more to it, they took just about everything away from it. No teams, no uniforms, no commentary, no real rinks. Seriously, we asked for outdoor rinks...as in the stadium series. Not this horsecrap fake rink in the mountains somewhere that is literally the only place to play. The replays are gone...and even those that do show up always have your position listed as "center". No action tracker, and a limited time to view stats. "Ooh, the cabin in the woods shot again!" What an absolute mess it is.

It's such a shame that such a big company doesn't care about the playerbase at all.

For all the good they did with the actual gameplay, they completely dropped the puck everywhere else.
  • Those numbers from VG charts are so unreliable. They don't even take into account digital sales, which get higher with every passing year.

Ben has stated here in a post that sales numbers are consistent every single year, even for 18. When the game goes on sale for $29 online, and most retailers are still selling it at $59 in stores, do the math.
  • Those numbers from VG charts are so unreliable. They don't even take into account digital sales, which get higher with every passing year.

Ben has stated here in a post that sales numbers are consistent every single year, even for 18. When the game goes on sale for $29 online, and most retailers are still selling it at $59 in stores, do the math.

Ya I'm not saying VGCharts is sound, but they give you a general idea. And sales wasn't my point, it was the consistency of sales each year. OP said that it is in decline each year, but it's been stable for almost 10 years...
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    SaydaNeen wrote: »
    Those numbers from VG charts are so unreliable. They don't even take into account digital sales, which get higher with every passing year.

Ya I'm not saying VGCharts is sound, but they give you a general idea. And sales wasn't my point, it was the consistency of sales each year. OP said that it is in decline each year, but it's been stable for almost 10 years...

This is more accurate. Not much growth or decline. Rather stagnant.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • The only thing that might wake up EA is competition. Sadly, there is none.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    EA doesn't get us. They are completely out of touch with their user base, and it boggles my mind. No one asked for 3's, and certainly no one asked for "1's". 1's a complete joke. Honestly, who at EA introduced the concept of this 1's thing? It's a joke...not to mention the clown gear they think anyone cares about.

Honestly, has anyone seen any gear on someone else and thought, "ooh, they look great, they must have really earned that cool outfit!"? No. No one cares about it. At least in previous versions, if you saw someone with a halfway tucked in jersey you knew they had hit 800 hits.

The drop in game itself is the single biggest joke of any aspect of the game they've ever released. Instead of adding more to it, they took just about everything away from it. No teams, no uniforms, no commentary, no real rinks. Seriously, we asked for outdoor rinks...as in the stadium series. Not this horsecrap fake rink in the mountains somewhere that is literally the only place to play. The replays are gone...and even those that do show up always have your position listed as "center". No action tracker, and a limited time to view stats. "Ooh, the cabin in the woods shot again!" What an absolute mess it is.

It's such a shame that such a big company doesn't care about the playerbase at all.

For all the good they did with the actual gameplay, they completely dropped the puck everywhere else.

Not gonna lie, I love 3's so much fun, introducing more games modes is never a bad thing. Gives more options,

Thats like saying Battlefield should only be Conquest and Rush but low and behold the new favorite game mode is operations (Rush rip off) but all the same. Same goes with Battle royal or Firestorm (battlefield version)
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »
    EA doesn't get us. They are completely out of touch with their user base, and it boggles my mind. No one asked for 3's, and certainly no one asked for "1's". 1's a complete joke. Honestly, who at EA introduced the concept of this 1's thing? It's a joke...not to mention the clown gear they think anyone cares about.

Not gonna lie, I love 3's so much fun, introducing more games modes is never a bad thing. Gives more options,

Thats like saying Battlefield should only be Conquest and Rush but low and behold the new favorite game mode is operations (Rush rip off) but all the same. Same goes with Battle royal or Firestorm (battlefield version)

I understand your point, but that game's player base has got to be at least 10 times higher than NHL. It allows for more modes as the player base is really big and makes up for it.

I understand your point, but that game's player base has got to be at least 10 times higher than NHL. It allows for more modes as the player base is really big and makes up for it.
    Exactly, they are shooting their own legs by adding too many game modes to NHL, especially online.

If they had kept it at three's...I could understand. But they implemented this stupid 1's circuit, with all the clown gear, and forced EASHL drop in players to experience 1's disguised as a 6's game's.

They just don't understand their playerbase.

THIS.

THIS.

Then you're not really an NHL fan. And maybe that's the problem... Maybe EA are trying too hard to cater the game to people that don't really care about the sport, they care about videogames.

Also, the notion that they're splintering a "small" player base as the reason there's no one playing is a gross misconstruction. Whether you have 2 lobbies with 500 players each or 10 lobbies with 100 players each, it's still 1000 players total.

Separating the player base into smaller groups just means people can play with like minded players a lot more. Instead of having to hope that you'll find good players in a large pool of randoms, you actually have the chance to find players with mindset and skill level that matches yours.

I'd rather play in a lobby with the same 20 people in a HARDCORE lobby with FULL SIM settings as long as they're good players, then be put into a random lobby with 10K users who may or may not know what they are doing, as is the case with Drop-ins with the ARCADE settings like it is now.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

THIS.

Can't shoot a hockey puck at a goalie in RDR2 can you? If you love hockey and sports video games you'll be back. Completely different genres, completely different experience. When people start getting less attention over "posting their own opinions" (complaining) and get busy with other things like RDR2 the ganging up with cease. And when they see NHL 19 devs put some more touches on the game they'll return, and when they put it on sale it will be fine and they'll be back.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Once Red Dead Redemption is here most of us wont be playing NHL anyways B)

THIS.

Then you're not really an NHL fan. And maybe that's the problem... Maybe EA are trying too hard to cater the game to people that don't really care about the sport, they care about videogames.

Also, the notion that they're splintering a "small" player base as the reason there's no one playing is a gross misconstruction. Whether you have 2 lobbies with 500 players each or 10 lobbies with 100 players each, it's still 1000 players total.

Separating the player base into smaller groups just means people can play with like minded players a lot more. Instead of having to hope that you'll find good players in a large pool of randoms, you actually have the chance to find players with mindset and skill level that matches yours.

I'd rather play in a lobby with the same 20 people in a HARDCORE lobby with FULL SIM settings as long as they're good players, then be put into a random lobby with 10K users who may or may not know what they are doing, as is the case with Drop-ins with the ARCADE settings like it is now.

That's a little silly isn't it? We bought a game thinking it was going to be one thing and it changed drastically and not exactly for the better. We're not real NHL fans because we're sick and tired of being messed around with? Come on guy, We just want to spend our time and hard earned money with a gaming company that puts time and effort into their games.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!