EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

EA NHL Sales - End of Hockey Gaming?

Replies

  • WainGretSki
    3021 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    I don't understand what's so difficult to comprehend about your statement.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".

    You're missing my point completely. We are arguing semantics on what defines a skilled player. My argument is that the gap between skilled and bad has shrunk significantly since last gen.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".

    Dude. You're comparing "skilled plays" in NHL 19 to skilled plays in NHL 19. The rest of us are comparing skilled plays in real life to skilled plays in NHL 19. Go play 3s and tell me if the skilled plays are going in. Doesn't take a lot of skill to learn how to abuse the Forsberg goal and the shortside halfwall shot.

    That's all you get at the upper levels of 3s. It's a blatant abuse of the system. That blatant abuse is what YOU call "skill".
  • The part you're forgetting is the skilled players wouldn't sink so low as to "scrub it up" for fear or reprisal from their peers (and the community). How much respect would you give someone like Nuge or Realmiviens if they won all their games by shooting turds on net?

    And yet these same "top players" are struggling on a daily basis to win against even the most basic n00**** online. Do they win most of their games? Absolutely. They wouldn't be top players if they couldn't. But at the same time just how man "random" games do they lose to uncontrollable factors? And THAT is what is so frustrating.

    To a player like NUGE, unless he's playing another top user, there's no pressure of him losing because he knows he has the skill to win any game against just about anybody that's not a good player. At least, that's how it used to be. Now you see randoms giving him trouble, just shooting from anywhere, not even passing or setting up plays on offense. Not playing defense, just sitting in the middle letting the AI run around after the puck, because if they actually try to keep up with the puck manually, the AI will get out of position.

    Top players are still top players, yes. But the amount of unskilled players that are allowed to keep up with them because of the uneven mechanics of the game is ridiculous. That's what people are arguing about.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    "I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring??? "

    I explained further...

    High % shots go in more than low % shots, so still advantage higher skilled players.

    What I said was higher skilled players don't even attempt anything but high % shots, but since high % shots are nerfed a tad, notice I said tad, it keeps the higher skilled players scoring on average down a tad... Then since the lesser skilled players can't get into high% scoring opportunities anyways, they rely on chaos throwing pucks on net hoping for something good to happen, so since these random puck on net are finding their way into the net at a much greater %, this keeps games closer on average.

    Very logical thought when you understand the concept.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".

    Dude. You're comparing "skilled plays" in NHL 19 to skilled plays in NHL 19. The rest of us are comparing skilled plays in real life to skilled plays in NHL 19. Go play 3s and tell me if the skilled plays are going in. Doesn't take a lot of skill to learn how to abuse the Forsberg goal and the shortside halfwall shot.

    That's all you get at the upper levels of 3s. It's a blatant abuse of the system. That blatant abuse is what YOU call "skill".

    Guys, just stop. You say it takes no skill to abuse the Forsberg goal, but say unskilled players just throw pucks on net....

    Skilled players are the ones who score, irrelevant if you consider it NHL skill, or NHL 19 skill. It is EA skill, period. We are talking about skill within a video game. In the end, it doesn't matter if you consider "skill" as in real life because the only "skill" here that matters is EA skill.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".

    Dude. You're comparing "skilled plays" in NHL 19 to skilled plays in NHL 19. The rest of us are comparing skilled plays in real life to skilled plays in NHL 19. Go play 3s and tell me if the skilled plays are going in. Doesn't take a lot of skill to learn how to abuse the Forsberg goal and the shortside halfwall shot.

    That's all you get at the upper levels of 3s. It's a blatant abuse of the system. That blatant abuse is what YOU call "skill".

    Guys, just stop. You say it takes no skill to abuse the Forsberg goal, but say unskilled players just throw pucks on net....

    Skilled players are the ones who score, irrelevant if you consider it NHL skill, or NHL 19 skill. It is EA skill, period. We are talking about skill within a video game. In the end, it doesn't matter if you consider "skill" as in real life because the only "skill" here that matters is EA skill.

    So, you dont think the skill gap has shrunk between elite and weaker players? Would you also disagree that the reason people complain about tilt is just a recourse of the skill gap being reduced?
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    "No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't."'

    You are lost my friend, you are being close minded and not understanding what we are even talking about.

    Nobody said throwing random pucks on net are a good way to score, but I have specifically said taking high % shots are the best way to score still, and favors the skilled player still, who will win more often.

    Point is the lower skilled player cannot get into high % shot areas, they aren't good enough to take advantage of that opportunity, so they resort to throwing the puck on net from everywhere in hopes to get deflections, rebounds, garbage goals, etc.

    EA has made the high % scoring chances less effective (still more effective than throwing pucks on net) but less than it used to be or should be. So with the high % chances being less effective than it should and EA making the throw puck on net randomness better than in years past, the combination of them keeps games closer and allows less skilled players the best chance they've ever had in this game to compete against higher skilled opponents.
  • Jonogunn wrote: »
    I’ll always play nhl no matter what other games are currently out.

    If you need a fix for hockey no game will satisfy that except for nhl.

    May be true for some people but I can get my fix playing fantasy hockey or watching hockey on television if the product plays poorly. I only really “crave” to play NHL 19 for the offline gameplay lately. A lot of the time I find myself logging in, getting a hockey bag and then playing Forza or doing something else

    The bags keep me coming back, but there still is not an incentive to play drop in since they can be collected easier in Ones. Club is really the only online incentive and with the community dwindling and gameplay being hit or miss, it’s just not as fun as it was years prior
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    flyextacy wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "In the end, the game has gotten harder and people don't adapt. "

    Harder?

    I will concede EA has made it harder to score good goals, but on the flip side EA has made it light years easier to score garbage goals. This was done on purpose to make things harder on the skilled players who try to set up good scoring opportunities while giving the lesser skilled players a way to score and keep up/compete.

    So what we are left with are one sided games in stats but even/toss up on the scoreboard.

    As someone else mentioned earlier, after playing a few games you feel like you've played all day, that is how stressful this game has become to play, especially when you are the one dominating but find yourself time and time again grinding to the last minute to win/lose by 1 goal.

    To summarize, good goals are harder to score and garbage goals are easier to score, this equalizes the playing field and produces closer games, this causes stress and frustration to play.

    I don't follow your logic here.

    you say skilled players have a harder time scoring goals, but EA made it easier for lesser skilled people to score....

    Hmmm, how does that make sense to you? If lesser skilled can score more, what prevents "skilled" players from not scoring???

    I think what he meant was the skill gap isnt as large as it used to be. A high hockey iq player will cycle and look for high quality shots while a newer player will more often just put pucks on net from anywhere. The "garbage" goals have a high percentage of going in which shrinks the skill gap. An elite player will still win most of his games but itll be much more sweaty and grindy then in the previous gen.

    That is where the difference is. He says "skilled" players, which to me are the ones who know those 3-4 sure-fire goals. You say "high IQ" which is not a skilled player. It is just a person who has hockey knowledge, not EA gaming hockey knowledge.

    "Skilled" players are the ones who want to win no matter what. They know how to abuse the game and get those goals because winning is all that matters. Hockey IQ has never really mattered all that much in this series, if ever. EA hockey knowledge is where it's at. Remember this as far back as NHL 2001 and it probably has always been that way since day 1. When people find a way to score, they do it until it stops working.

    If dumping turds on net was such a great way to score, "skilled" players would be lobbing them on net every chance they had because it has such a high percentage.

    Right, let's not get caught up on how we name them. The point still stands that the skill gap between bad and good players has shrunk because bad shots go in at higher frequency. I've seen some of the best players become extremely fatigued at the game because they have to sometimes play perfect against inferior opponents. I think that's what causes a lot of grief in the community.

    No, the point is if bad shots were such a good way to score, skilled players would do it, which they don't.

    Skilled players know how to get to the sweet spots and bury the puck. They know how to attract penalties. They know how to score on breakaways. Unskilled players don't have this knowledge.

    What you guys are saying is bad players score all the time, which isn't as true as you guys think otherwise everybody would play "bad hockey".

    Skilled players win a big majority of their games and there is a reason for that, and a reason why we call them "skilled".

    Dude. You're comparing "skilled plays" in NHL 19 to skilled plays in NHL 19. The rest of us are comparing skilled plays in real life to skilled plays in NHL 19. Go play 3s and tell me if the skilled plays are going in. Doesn't take a lot of skill to learn how to abuse the Forsberg goal and the shortside halfwall shot.

    That's all you get at the upper levels of 3s. It's a blatant abuse of the system. That blatant abuse is what YOU call "skill".

    Guys, just stop. You say it takes no skill to abuse the Forsberg goal, but say unskilled players just throw pucks on net....

    Skilled players are the ones who score, irrelevant if you consider it NHL skill, or NHL 19 skill. It is EA skill, period. We are talking about skill within a video game. In the end, it doesn't matter if you consider "skill" as in real life because the only "skill" here that matters is EA skill.

    So, you dont think the skill gap has shrunk between elite and weaker players? Would you also disagree that the reason people complain about tilt is just a recourse of the skill gap being reduced?

    To be blatantly honest here, I suspect the main culprit is connection quality. Sure there are games where one goalie makes 17 highlight saves while the other goalie lets in 2, let's just say, very bad goals. When I play and feel something is up, or weird or off, any AI player on my team plays like a pee-wee.

    That being said, this is what makes me believe there is no catch-up logic or ice-tilt. Let's be honest here, this game causes by far more connection issues than any other game I can think of.
  • Does TPS include making 60 mph backhand passes with no backswing and stick lift defense all over the ice?
    Don't most people want realism?
    The search for realism continues...
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    "Don't most people want realism?"

    This is what started NHL 13 and TPS, it was a noble idea with the greatest intentions, but realism in a hockey video game has been a disaster since NHL 13.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Don't most people want realism?"

    This is what started NHL 13 and TPS, it was a noble idea with the greatest intentions, but realism in a hockey video game has been a disaster since NHL 13.

    When have we had realism?
  • Sinbin wrote: »

    In the second part of the first video, a decent human defender will stop that.

    Your second video has a bump from behind. Yeah, maybe those could be toned down a bit, but you also have the option to move the puck more instead of getting chased and hit.

    You are 100% correct. A good D man should step up and not allow that shot. Even an AI D should know the player is all alone 1 on 3 with no help coming and should move in or at least force him outside to get a double team with back checker. But AI decisions are another long topic. In real life most d-men would assess the situation.

    1- 1 on 3 with not much offensive support.
    2- No pass option
    3- Plenty of defensive help if he slows the oncoming player down a bit

    So knowing this the defender would likely
    1- Hold the blue line hoping to force the player to make a move, cut back or dump it in.
    2- Force the player outside to hope the closest backchecker would get there to help making it an odd man situation
    3- Keep the oncoming player from the high percentage area allowing for a shot from the blue line since that is a low percentage shot.

    In this clip #3 happened. Not the best outcome but still acceptable.

    IMO the point to his post is not whether a defender could have done better or not. The defender did his job decently. He didn't allow the guy into a high percentage area and forced a low percentage shot from outside. The question for me is how does this go in?? No screen, no pass option and its not a great wrist shot from just inside the blue line. Having said all of this, even then, this would go in maybe 1 out of maybe 1000 shots in any pro league?? But it goes in a ton in this game. It rewards low percentage shots that can be performed by anybody but tends to not reward nice plays by skilled players.

    Don't get me wrong. Good plays still go in but I find the desperation saves crazy high this year with AI goalies and low percentage shots go in too often. We've all head the phrase if he can see it he will likely save it. Not so much in this game.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Don't most people want realism?"

    This is what started NHL 13 and TPS, it was a noble idea with the greatest intentions, but realism in a hockey video game has been a disaster since NHL 13.

    Only because it's been executed with the aplomb of a Kindergartner creating a finger painting. Sure mommy and daddy will find it cute, but a true artiste will see it for what it is; just some random paint splashes haphazardly thrown on a blank canvass.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    The part you're forgetting is the skilled players wouldn't sink so low as to "scrub it up" for fear or reprisal from their peers (and the community). How much respect would you give someone like Nuge or Realmiviens if they won all their games by shooting turds on net?

    And yet these same "top players" are struggling on a daily basis to win against even the most basic n00**** online. Do they win most of their games? Absolutely. They wouldn't be top players if they couldn't. But at the same time just how man "random" games do they lose to uncontrollable factors? And THAT is what is so frustrating.

    To a player like NUGE, unless he's playing another top user, there's no pressure of him losing because he knows he has the skill to win any game against just about anybody that's not a good player. At least, that's how it used to be. Now you see randoms giving him trouble, just shooting from anywhere, not even passing or setting up plays on offense. Not playing defense, just sitting in the middle letting the AI run around after the puck, because if they actually try to keep up with the puck manually, the AI will get out of position.

    Top players are still top players, yes. But the amount of unskilled players that are allowed to keep up with them because of the uneven mechanics of the game is ridiculous. That's what people are arguing about.

    100% this. My club has had this work for and against us. We are by no means top players but we are above average. I would say second tier when it comes to EA NHL skill. We run into a top club and get schooled but lose 2-1 or 3-2 when in previous years it would be 5-1. I will also be the first to admit when we are outclassed we do throw more turds on net this year because we know it has a good chance of going in, if not that especially awesome rebound goal that everybody seems to love to do even more this year. Then sometimes the roles are reversed, we outclass a team and win 2-1 and their goal was a wrister from just inside the blue line.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!