EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

EA NHL Sales - End of Hockey Gaming?

Replies

• HockeyCityUSA
    500 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Is it really believed that if you were to take shots consistently from bad areas or I guess take these so called "poop shots", you will score more goals? I wouldn't mind seeing someone try this for a couple of games to see if this were true. Heck, I wouldn't mind if a top streamer were to attempt this just to see if the theory is indeed correct.
  • rcompton78
    232 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Is it really believed that if you were to take shots consistently from bad areas or I guess take these so called "poop shots", you will score more goals? I wouldn't mind seeing someone try this for a couple of games to see if this were true. Heck, I wouldn't mind if a top streamer were to attempt this just to see if the theory is indeed correct.

I have not read every post in this thread but of what I have read nobody is saying its the best way to score, I think people are saying it happens too much and good plays get stoned too often. The balance of success/fail rate for each scenario is off to me. I would much prefer a game that rewards the good plays and only lets very few low percentage plays go in. That is my opinion anyway. If I throw a weak wrister from the the blue line with no screen than I should expect the goalie to save it. Best odds is a rebound. But if we cycle and get a pass through the 'Royal Road' then I would hope more goals go in that way.

Here is a good article about where goals come from. https://www.omha.net/news_article/show/486107-the-most-important-line-on-the-ice-you-ve-never-heard-of

• Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Go in to practice mode. Throw 100 garbage shots on net from the blue line and see how many go in. Then do the same thing, but skate in to the slot, settle the puck and pick a corner. See how many you score then. "

You didn't think this thru. Garbage goals are throwing pucks into the crowd toward the net, deflections, rebounds, chaos. We are not talking clean goals.

You mean how many goals are scored in real hockey? Pucks bouncing off traffic, rebounds, etc. Greasy goals are a real thing.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    "In this game though, people just keep doing the same thing over and over again and get mad when it doesn't work. "

Funny thing is the people who do this exact thing win way more games than they should.

Example: Played a guy last night in back to back games. LITERALLY, every time he entered the offensive zone he would skate directly to the corner at the goal line and stop and start until either A. the AI defenseman on the back door decided he no longer wanted to play hockey and allowed a tap in goal or B. I was forced to switch to the back door defenseman to guard against the cross crease and he would manipulate around the AI pressuring and try to come in and shoot SS glitch from bottom of circle. He did not cycle the puck, he did not make use of D men on the point. Before you try to rebuttal with changing my D strat, I was playing with protect the net on for all 6 periods. Anything else and my players are even more out of position than they are on every other play, chasing the puck around like mites. I had a higher passing %, more shots (and quality shots at that), more TOA and won over 65% of faceoffs. I lost both of these games in OT. Its SICKENING the way this game rewards players who have ZERO hockey sense and a complete lack of creativity.

Why not pressure him and not let him get to the corner to begin with? He does the same thing every time. You know where he's going. Why are you letting him do that?
  • I said this in the 18 forums and i will say it again. This version is where it should have been at NHL 15 and i refuse to buy it for that reason (just like i didnt buy it for all of last year) I refuse to reward a company with my hard earned dollars if they dont earn it first themselves. Has the skating been improved? Yes. Has checking been improved? Yes. Etc etc but for me its too little too late. This game should be soooo much better than where it is. It is years of wasted time on nonsense (tps) to get to where it is and its a shame. If you can play it and feel happy then good on you. But its been 4 years of wasted resources on horrible mechanics that EA refused to let go of. I wont reward them with my dollars for finally going the direction that we all wanted 4 years later. If you want to then thank you for keeping the series alive for me for when they finally have earned my dollars again.
  • Is it really believed that if you were to take shots consistently from bad areas or I guess take these so called "poop shots", you will score more goals? I wouldn't mind seeing someone try this for a couple of games to see if this were true. Heck, I wouldn't mind if a top streamer were to attempt this just to see if the theory is indeed correct.

It isn't.

Played a solo drop last night, 5vs5, ai goalies. Omg....

There were only 2 players on the ice that actually had a clue how to play. Myself, and a D man on the other team.
    The whole game was nothing but botched passes, forcing passes in a congested slot, and lobbing turds on goal all game long.... Incredibly long and boring. For the rare dekes we saw, pretty much all of them failed. Forwards really had no clue what to do.

Shots ended up being 37-33 for us, and we won 1-0 but their goalie stole a goal which probably would qualify as save of the year. Snorefest.
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    "Is it really believed that if you were to take shots consistently from bad areas or I guess take these so called "poop shots", you will score more goals?"

Who said "poop shots" will help you score more goals? All we are saying is "poop shots" go in more than they should, but since they do go in a lot this year, lesser skilled players compete and keep games close by the "poop shot" method.

• sgiz1 wrote: »
    "Is it really believed that if you were to take shots consistently from bad areas or I guess take these so called "poop shots", you will score more goals?"

Who said "poop shots" will help you score more goals? All we are saying is "poop shots" go in more than they should, but since they do go in a lot this year, lesser skilled players compete and keep games close by the "poop shot" method.

I don't see all that many more poop goals than in 14. They are just slightly different. And as I said, I am very sure it is all attributed to connection quality, as pretty much everything else in this game every year.
  • First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
    NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
    NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
    NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
    NHL 19 - TBD

4 consecutive years of a decline in sales. Wouldn't surprise me if 19 continues that trend.

EASHL is all but dead. Record low number of players. Tons of awful changes, both game play and menus. Massive match making troubles. "dynamic difficulty" or whatever you want to call it has been killing online gaming for years. Gone are the days of tripling an opponents attack time and winning 8-0. It takes less skill than ever to win. This game has gotten so bad that even when I win, it's not enjoyable.

Are we reaching a point where NHL video games will be a thing of the past due to EA's terrible implementation of anything they touch?

The game is broken.... lets be honest... i wasted my money this year as nhl 19 was the worst game they made yet...i cant believe how bad its gotten
  • sgiz1 wrote: »

So in other words you're saying you will score more goals...? If they happen to go in more then they have in the past, wouldn't that mean more goals are being scored?

Either way, I'm not seeing this happen in my games. Sure, these types of goals happen, but they haven't been the deciding factor in why my team wins or loses.
  • Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    I said this in the 18 forums and i will say it again. This version is where it should have been at NHL 15 and i refuse to buy it for that reason (just like i didnt buy it for all of last year) I refuse to reward a company with my hard earned dollars if they dont earn it first themselves. Has the skating been improved? Yes. Has checking been improved? Yes. Etc etc but for me its too little too late. This game should be soooo much better than where it is. It is years of wasted time on nonsense (tps) to get to where it is and its a shame. If you can play it and feel happy then good on you. But its been 4 years of wasted resources on horrible mechanics that EA refused to let go of. I wont reward them with my dollars for finally going the direction that we all wanted 4 years later. If you want to then thank you for keeping the series alive for me for when they finally have earned my dollars again.

So, the game finally gets where you want it to be, but you're not going to buy the game because it's too late? That just doesn't make sense to me. You're mad at EA because they don't make the game how you want it, then they incorporate the feedback from the community and make the game you want and you still tell them you won't get it? It's one thing to not buy a game because you don't like it, but you're going to hold a personal grudge against them and that's going to stop you from playing? That sounds incredibly childish.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    I said this in the 18 forums and i will say it again. This version is where it should have been at NHL 15 and i refuse to buy it for that reason (just like i didnt buy it for all of last year) I refuse to reward a company with my hard earned dollars if they dont earn it first themselves. Has the skating been improved? Yes. Has checking been improved? Yes. Etc etc but for me its too little too late. This game should be soooo much better than where it is. It is years of wasted time on nonsense (tps) to get to where it is and its a shame. If you can play it and feel happy then good on you. But its been 4 years of wasted resources on horrible mechanics that EA refused to let go of. I wont reward them with my dollars for finally going the direction that we all wanted 4 years later. If you want to then thank you for keeping the series alive for me for when they finally have earned my dollars again.

So, the game finally gets where you want it to be, but you're not going to buy the game because it's too late? That just doesn't make sense to me. You're mad at EA because they don't make the game how you want it, then they incorporate the feedback from the community and make the game you want and you still tell them you won't get it? It's one thing to not buy a game because you don't like it, but you're going to hold a personal grudge against them and that's going to stop you from playing? That sounds incredibly childish.

I think some of it boils down to loyal customers feeling burned yet again. I think he has earned the right to feel the way he does. I used to buy 3 copies a year for my kids and myself. The game is nowhere close to where it should be I am feeling burned again. The skating has actually regressed since launch day. Not to mention the litany of other issues this game has.

One issue EA does not have is competition. Kickstarter anyone?
  • VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »

I think some of it boils down to loyal customers feeling burned yet again. I think he has earned the right to feel the way he does. I used to buy 3 copies a year for my kids and myself. The game is nowhere close to where it should be I am feeling burned again. The skating has actually regressed since launch day. Not to mention the litany of other issues this game has.

One issue EA does not have is competition. Kickstarter anyone?

Thank you VIDSICIOUS for being the first person to not attack my train of thought.

I get why people don't understand my point of view, but to me it makes complete sense. I am not being vindictive about it or childish as you describe. I am disappointed. I bought every next gen version from 15-17 and every year I kept the faith alive that it would surprise me. By 18 I was out. Now just because it is finally where it should have been at 15 does not make me want to stand up and cheer and hand them my money. Its simply a case of too little too late.

If they continue on the path that they are on now, then there's a very good chance I will get it next year. But again, just like anything in life it must be earned. For me 4 years wasted does not incite me to want to open up my wallet. I seriously do thank those that continue to choose to do so though.

• If this was the version that shipped with nhl 15, can you imagine how good the game might be now? Instead I am being asked to buy a game that imho is 5 years dated and possibly on par to what we had with 14. I mean I don't know how better to explain it.
  • What are year total sales , as I think alot of people are now in the mindset ( and rightfully so ) that as most ea Games do, just another year another rehash, a few bugs fixed, mostly visual, and even more broken , mostly gameplay... So they wait for sales . Canadian black Friday is in October , then American black Friday in November, then Christmas sales .. like red dead 2 I want to play it, but I'm not paying full price for a single player game. Alot of people still play this game by themselves.
  • Dixonyu wrote: »
    What are year total sales , as I think alot of people are now in the mindset ( and rightfully so ) that as most ea Games do, just another year another rehash, a few bugs fixed, mostly visual, and even more broken , mostly gameplay... So they wait for sales . Canadian black Friday is in October , then American black Friday in November, then Christmas sales .. like red dead 2 I want to play it, but I'm not paying full price for a single player game. Alot of people still play this game by themselves.

Remember when they released a version that had lobbies, multiple dressing rooms, the ability to see your clubs team records, be it goals in a game or hits, they had a club message board, the ability to designate Captains and Assisted-Captains, they had an actual working web page to see you clubs history, and none of this, NONE was even released as an incentive to buy it like the trash they try to incite us to do so now. And all of it is dead, gone, caput, but hey at least we got ones right?
  • And I don't really single much NHL but does anyone really consider the single player experience to be remotely close to what ever 2ks last year was? Even now?
  • I didnt read through this whole thread and see if this was mentioned but it astonishes me how they blew the chance they had this year to really change the meta of the way the game was being played and attract more people with the hype behind the improved skating and overall game-play. Patches and tuners after only a month and this game is the same as the previous 2 years and at times worse with the server quality.

• I didnt read through this whole thread and see if this was mentioned but it astonishes me how they blew the chance they had this year to really change the meta of the way the game was being played and attract more people with the hype behind the improved skating and overall game-play. Patches and tuners after only a month and this game is the same as the previous 2 years and at times worse with the server quality.

Doesn't surprise me.

I thought the poke was perfectly fine in the beta and I knew without an inkling of doubt that it would not hold up. I can't speak of other changes to skating, hitting, puck pickups etc because I have not purchased, but ya I knew poke was just a week or two away after launch before it got changed. Its hereditary at this point. Give birth to a new version with your vision in mind and evolve into the year prior 2 weeks later. It's laughable at this point. I don't get mad about it anymore. I just accept that its the way it is now and I save my money and sanity lol. What is it that Einstein said about insanity? Ya that :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!