EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

EA NHL Sales - End of Hockey Gaming?

Replies

• TheMajjam
    422 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    You guys see this? Someone is modding 2K11. Lol. Looks like crap, but it has potential. Skill stick in a 2K game? Yes please.

Post edited by TheMajjam on
  • First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
    NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
    NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
    NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
    NHL 19 - TBD

4 consecutive years of a decline in sales. Wouldn't surprise me if 19 continues that trend.

EASHL is all but dead. Record low number of players. Tons of awful changes, both game play and menus. Massive match making troubles. "dynamic difficulty" or whatever you want to call it has been killing online gaming for years. Gone are the days of tripling an opponents attack time and winning 8-0. It takes less skill than ever to win. This game has gotten so bad that even when I win, it's not enjoyable.

Are we reaching a point where NHL video games will be a thing of the past due to EA's terrible implementation of anything they touch?

Unfortunately , you're not taking into account the amount people are spending on packs, in which, I'm going to guess has probably increased each year since 15...

I mean I know for a fact that there are people out there that are literally spending $1000s just on packs and that's all basically 100% profit to EA, since its already built into the game... the $59 base price for the game is really nothing if you look at it that way and I would be interested to know what the average player spends in addition to the cost of the game just to build their hut teams. But That's a dirty little secret I'm sure EA isnt going to openly disclose though...
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
    NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
    NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
    NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
    NHL 19 - TBD

4 consecutive years of a decline in sales. Wouldn't surprise me if 19 continues that trend.

EASHL is all but dead. Record low number of players. Tons of awful changes, both game play and menus. Massive match making troubles. "dynamic difficulty" or whatever you want to call it has been killing online gaming for years. Gone are the days of tripling an opponents attack time and winning 8-0. It takes less skill than ever to win. This game has gotten so bad that even when I win, it's not enjoyable.

Are we reaching a point where NHL video games will be a thing of the past due to EA's terrible implementation of anything they touch?

Unfortunately , you're not taking into account the amount people are spending on packs, in which, I'm going to guess has probably increased each year since 15...

I mean I know for a fact that there are people out there that are literally spending $1000s just on packs and that's all basically 100% profit to EA, since its already built into the game... the $59 base price for the game is really nothing if you look at it that way and I would be interested to know what the average player spends in addition to the cost of the game just to build their hut teams. But That's a dirty little secret I'm sure EA isnt going to openly disclose though...

That's true EA makes hand over fist from hut packs. Not from everyone but certain few. You can see their revenue numbers and copies sold is about 35 percent of their revenue. The rest is microtransactions. They need this to keep going. So releasing a game just good enough to make the money from hut is all they need to do.
  • You'd think that all the money they are making in transactions would be cause to just build the game from ground up, instead of going with year after year of old code.

Less work for more profit I guess.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    The only thing that might wake up EA is competition. Sadly, there is none.

Nope, here is a competition :)

If you think that is anything considered “competition” in any sense of the word, you are grossly mistaken.

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion as much as anyone else, but don't see why you have to insult the guy. He put a lot of work into his version and it is no way garbage. Seems like you take his game as a personal attack on "your" NHL game.
  • TheMajjam
    422 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Moxrox84 wrote: »

If you think that is anything considered “competition” in any sense of the word, you are grossly mistaken.

What is the harm of even trying something different after all these years of basically the same game? I will certainly give the guy some credit after taking an engine that old and trying to do something with it.

The presentation alone is EONS ahead of EA, and if you have presentation in your sports games then you have sales for people buying it for the singleplayer.
    Post edited by TheMajjam on
  • As long as EA keeps making money off this game, it will continue to thrive. They will make as little modifications and enhancements as possible, but still charge full price because customers will pay it.

With no competition for EA, why should they make the game better? Each year, offline gets the short end of the stick because money goes to HUT. So many things wrong with NHL 19, but those issues get blanketed over by the "new" skating engine. Something that should have been addressed previously.

You can go on and on about what is wrong with this game, but honestly, it feels like it falls on deaf ears. I would have rather had the ability to see how many power play goals I scored in a game over having mascots again. As it is, you only see the power plays you had, not the power play goals. Not sure how this was an oversight??

The All Star game consists of a regular hockey game of 3v3 for 10 min periods. Been going on for a few years now...can we do that in this game? No. But we can have a "battle royal" ONLINE instead. Who wanted that over gameplay and correct stats? And there are only a few players allowed on the 3v3 rosters. Incomplete. Rinse and repeat with EA year after year.

• KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited October 2018

You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion as much as anyone else, but don't see why you have to insult the guy. He put a lot of work into his version and it is no way garbage. Seems like you take his game as a personal attack on "your" NHL game.

I never once 'insulted' anyone.

Just saying that this "mod" (which is just an over-exaggerated texture pack) for a game that was designed for the Wii is hardly 'competition'.

Post edited by EA_Roger
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • WainGretSki
    3035 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Just saying that this "mod" (which is just an over-exaggerated texture pack) for a game that was designed for the Wii is hardly 'competition'.

Quote edited by EA_Roger

They don't seem to be shaking in their boots either for that Star Wars debacle. They don't seem to be shaking in their boots for the MM nightmare in 19.

Anyways, point being once that is released for pc, alot of people will play it, plain and simple.
  • kitchener_boy
    331 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Well,I kind of see EA calling this series a financial headache and closing the hockey side's doors. But I see somebody else comming in and running with the ball and roll with it. Once H.U.T numbers really dwindle? it's over.
    The B word..BUDGET..has been tossed around way too much this year! thats writing on the wall.
  • djneohockey
    674 posts Member
    edited October 2018

EA isn't shaking in their boots over some kid claiming to be "creating this game for PC",

Well Kory you are wrong again.

Its not just a texture pack, we found a way to manipulate, change and "fix" the speed and duration of animations, the puck physics and many other things. The gameplay is very different now.

In fact even that in game broadcast camera view you are looking at the video doesn't exists in the original game. Its all new.

Quote edited by EA_Roger

• kitchener_boy
    331 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I hate to say this ..but some of you always Insult everyone.Quit making these forums into a fight. We are all here to discuss,we are all part of this brotherhood of a gamming community . Respect goes a long way my friends.
    I would love to see this P.C. game when finished if it is finished yt or not I havent kept up with it. I just wish it was without having to download other things to make it work. EA and P.C. well I'm willing to wait!.

EA isn't shaking in their boots over some kid claiming to be "creating this game for PC",

Man, I hate to say it, but you sound like you're straight up shilling for EA in the way you said that.
  • EA_Roger
    1470 posts Community Manager
    I hate to say this ..but some of you always Insult everyone.Quit making these forums into a fight. We are all here to discuss,we are all part of this brotherhood of a gamming community . Respect goes a long way my friends.
    I would love to see this P.C. game when finished if it is finished yt or not I havent kept up with it. I just wish it was without having to download other things to make it work. EA and P.C. well I'm willing to wait!.

Exactly this. You can discuss the different aspects of this game or even Neo's game but you need to be constructive. It doesn't matter if you dislike or like any of the NHLs but you need to be respectful of people's opinions and discuss this like mature people. A lot of this is subjective, it's down to your own taste there are very few "absolutes" here. If you are just here to start fights, you won't last long.
  • djneohockey
    674 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    ...so here is a good example where 2K still do a better job imo, the Face-Offs system.
    Sorry for the funny accent :)

• Sinbin
    1324 posts Member
    CMBDeadly wrote: »
    Above1988 wrote: »
    First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
    NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
    NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
    NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
    NHL 19 - TBD

That's true EA makes hand over fist from hut packs. Not from everyone but certain few. You can see their revenue numbers and copies sold is about 35 percent of their revenue. The rest is microtransactions. They need this to keep going. So releasing a game just good enough to make the money from hut is all they need to do.

Nobody wants to spend money on a bad game. You can't just have a microtransaction game and expect it to sell. They continually have added ways to make it easier not to spend money. There are many ways to earn coins and packs. It's easier than ever to not need to spend money on HUT. Again though, if people hated the game, they wouldn't spend money on it.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    CMBDeadly wrote: »
    Above1988 wrote: »
    First week sales:

NHL 15 - 273,029 Units
    NHL 16 - 226,537 Units
    NHL 17 - 206,937 Units
    NHL 18 - 175,367 Units
    NHL 19 - TBD

Nobody wants to spend money on a bad game. You can't just have a microtransaction game and expect it to sell. They continually have added ways to make it easier not to spend money. There are many ways to earn coins and packs. It's easier than ever to not need to spend money on HUT. Again though, if people hated the game, they wouldn't spend money on it.

I think the reason why people still play and spend money in this game even though they hate it is because there's no viable competition for it at the moment. Especially on consoles. So it's either pony up or not play at all and that's difficult for people that love the sport.
  • To be fair EA, you could simply roll out NHL 9-15 and slap a few features for people buying extra crap, update rosters and I would be happy giving you my money.

Instead you developed a game where the CPU determines outcome in nearly game. Disgusting

I don't think this qualifies. How can you play with that camera angle? That's terrible.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!