EA Forums - Banner

When a good play gets you a penalty

majjama_26
175 posts Member
edited October 2018
If anyone wants to take a stab at why this should be a penalty, I'm all ears. EA tuned stick checks to stop "errant" stick lifts. However, I think there's nothing errant about this and I'm being punished because of a dice roll decision to give me a penalty.

KOTiihC.gif

As you can see here, I'm chasing a player. I don't trip or try to stick lift while in bad position. I take the body and nudge him towards the boards. He loses the puck, but gets it back flat-footed against the boards. He's a right-handed player who's got the puck on his stick. I wait, the keyword is wait here, until I am on the right side of his body for ONE stick-lift. As a left handed player against a righty who has the puck on his stick away from his body, against the boards, this is a no-brainer play and should result in an easy steal. Unfortunately, game decides that I chest-high stick lift and somehow slash his left hand. Here's a still on the moment I stick lift.

rPwH1AL.jpg

This same thing applies to poke checks and skill stick. You don't have to "spam" to pick up a penalty and further proves my point that even when you're in perfect position, and even when it should be impossible to due so, good play and patience is rewarded by a penalty system that's just plain broken.

Replies

• The consistency of the calls can be aggravating at times.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I had the below happen to me last night. Not only was there no penalty for stick lifting through my body ( assuming it's not the worst hitting animation I've ever seen ) but the defender was rewarded for it.

• I see the stick lift and player waves his hand, did I miss something else?
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • The consistency of the calls can be aggravating at times.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I had the below happen to me last night. Not only was there no penalty for stick lifting through my body ( assuming it's not the worst hitting animation I've ever seen ) but the defender was rewarded for it.

Just painful to watch bro. The clipping and no call aside, these stick lift automatic steals on moving players is ridiculous. The puck should continue moving at the speed of your body until the player lifting your stick regains possession, but these seem to end up as automatic turnovers with the puck stopping dead in its tracks. Was it another player that did this or the AI?
  • That's another human player.
  • Yeah. That's the definition of an errant stick lift. Behind you, no chance to lift or steal, it happens anyway and judging by your position about to take a shot at the blue line, probably resulted in a breakaway or partial breakaway.
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    Yeah. That's the definition of an errant stick lift. Behind you, no chance to lift or steal, it happens anyway and judging by your position about to take a shot at the blue line, probably resulted in a breakaway or partial breakaway.

It resulted in a breakaway. In OT. Guess how that ended. :s
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    This almost looks like during the attempted stick lift the body contact is what caused the loose puck.

Regardless, stick lifts and poke checks are extremely touchy and not consistent at all.
  • Clipping is beyond rampant this year. Sticks are going through boards, legs, torsos, nets, everything.

The current state of the game is so incredibly broken. Like there are major issues in every single mode. And the laundry lists are just piling up.

These devs certainly have their work cut out for them to salvage anything close to a decent product.

It honestly feels like beta was a bait & switch to sucker people into buying the same broken game for yet another year.

Really disappointed in this team. Truly.

• majjama_26 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to take a stab at why this should be a penalty, I'm all ears. EA tuned stick checks to stop "errant" stick lifts. However, I think there's nothing errant about this and I'm being punished because of a dice roll decision to give me a penalty.

KOTiihC.gif

As you can see here, I'm chasing a player. I don't trip or try to stick lift while in bad position. I take the body and nudge him towards the boards. He loses the puck, but gets it back flat-footed against the boards. He's a right-handed player who's got the puck on his stick. I wait, the keyword is wait here, until I am on the right side of his body for ONE stick-lift. As a left handed player against a righty who has the puck on his stick away from his body, against the boards, this is a no-brainer play and should result in an easy steal. Unfortunately, game decides that I chest-high stick lift and somehow slash his left hand. Here's a still on the moment I stick lift.

rPwH1AL.jpg

This same thing applies to poke checks and skill stick. You don't have to "spam" to pick up a penalty and further proves my point that even when you're in perfect position, and even when it should be impossible to due so, good play and patience is rewarded by a penalty system that's just plain broken.

The only thing I can see is, the puck carrier is transitioning his stick from his left side to his right. His stick is almost if front of him as you initiate the stick lift causing you to hit his hand/chest before his stick. Had you waited half a second more, I think it would have been a clean lift as his stick would have been to his right.

Just saying what I see. Doesn't mean I am right.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    I think the point we should agree on here is the example is close enough that he should have just missed the stick lift, not get a penalty as it was in good enough position to not get punished.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    This almost looks like during the attempted stick lift the body contact is what caused the loose puck.

Regardless, stick lifts and poke checks are extremely touchy and not consistent at all.

In the video I posted the puck comes loose due to incidental stick contact on his "downswing".
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    I think the point we should agree on here is the example is close enough that he should have just missed the stick lift, not get a penalty as it was in good enough position to not get punished.

I would rather it be a miss than a penalty, TBH.