EA Forums - Banner

Calling for puck at the same time CPU player decides to pass it (EASHL)

kapitanron
43 posts Member
edited October 2018
Because match making is still severely broken in EASHL, we are forced to play with more CPUs more often. Fine, I just wanna play hockey.

The problem is that a CPU player teammate often has a great passing lane but chooses not to pass. So, next time I'm in a similar situation, the CPU actually uses his brainpower and passes it, but guess what? At nearly the same time I call for it (because hey, he didn't pass last time).

Bam, puck comes to me, and then I immediately pass it up to no one (and usually ice the puck).

I did NOT press a single button (other than skating up) after the puck got to me, yet it just fluttered away far and away, and a few moments later I find myself sheepishly explaining myself and apologizing to my team mates for a squandered breakaway opportunity with just seconds to go in a 1 goal game we were losing.

Why is this still in the game, specifically EASHL? It's been like a decade if not more if I can recall correctly.

If I'm calling for a puck that hasn't arrived at my stick yet, why does it register as a future pass? I'm one player, and I can't convert into another player like in HUT or Vs, or any other single player mode.

I get why it (the future pass mechanic) would be in those modes (for tic tac toe passing, one timers, etc), but why is this mechanic in EASHL, a team based game mode?

There's a very simple fix for this completely pointless "feature". REMOVE IT from EASHL.

Yet, EA, as always, focusing on everything and anything but the game breaking stuff. It's so frustrating. I bet this will still plague the mode in 2025.

Edited to remove all caps sentence. - EA_Cian
Post edited by EA_Cian on

Replies

• MooseHunter10
    403 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    If you're quick enough, L1/LB will cancel the pass and youll keep the puck.

Sadly theres no way to turn off One Touch Dekes, so you'll end up triggering a bunch of those too.
    EASHL player
  • I have been asking for an option to disable the one touch pass for years now. The queued up passes from calling for the puck are so annoying.
  • That’s why I very rarely call it from the cpu...if you just get into open spots on the ice they will usually serve you up a dime pass.
  • xPDogg65x
    829 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    That’s why I very rarely call it from the cpu...if you just get into open spots on the ice they will usually serve you up a dime pass.

I don’t get why people don’t understand this. I know that the AI doesn’t always pass when they should, but you have to be careful when you are calling for a pass, it’s not going to go through 2 guys to get to you. Try moving to open up a passing lane and you’ll get the puck.
  • BassMan_PC
    358 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    That’s why I very rarely call it from the cpu...if you just get into open spots on the ice they will usually serve you up a dime pass.

I don’t get why people don’t understand this. I know that the AI doesn’t always pass when they should, but you have to be careful when you are calling for a pass, it’s not going to go through 2 guys to get to you. Try moving to open up a passing lane and you’ll get the puck.

Often times, there is a clear headman pass available and they do not pass. Hockey is a quick game and we can't be waiting on stupid AI. EA should just give us the option to disable the queued up one touch pass and all is well. It's that simple.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »

Often times, there is a clear headman pass available and they do not pass. Hockey is a quick game and we can't be waiting on stupid AI. EA should just give us the option to disable the queued up one touch pass and all is well. It's that simple.

Here's the answer we all need.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Well, in that case one touch pass won't be a problem though... :wink:

But I've witnessed way too many times that Ai is not willing to pass even if I'm totally open and in those situations it's very hard to not call for a pass. And too many times it'll be like it says in the thread title.

• It sucks when the pass double taps but by removing it you remove the skill ability to one touch pass. If they removed it I would be very disappointed.
  • It sucks when the pass double taps but by removing it you remove the skill ability to one touch pass. If they removed it I would be very disappointed.
    True.

Would it work if one touch pass would trigger only if RT is keeping pressed when puck comes to your stick?

If RT is pressed (to call for pass) but released before the puck comes, it wouldn't trigger one touch pass.

But if you press and keep it pressed, it would trigger one touch pass. Or if you press it, release and press again before puck comes, it would also trigger it. Idk if it would work or not, just a thought.
  • Taste-D-Rainbow
    2514 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    If RT is pressed (to call for pass) but released before the puck comes, it wouldn't trigger one touch pass.

But if you press and keep it pressed, it would trigger one touch pass. Or if you press it, release and press again before puck comes, it would also trigger it. Idk if it would work or not, just a thought.

I play 99% of my games on D so I usually never call for the pass so this isnt really a problem for me.

I think EA has done a good job with making AI smarter with pass selection. It's very noticeable when playing BaP offline.

I dont think theres a button mechanic they can implement to fix this besides the cancel pass which already exists.

I hope we can all agree though that double tap passing is annoying but happens nowhere near as much as it used to.
  • BassMan_PC wrote: »

Often times humans do the same...if they don’t pass ...let them go ...and even...(deep breath) switch positions with them
  • That’s why I very rarely call it from the cpu...if you just get into open spots on the ice they will usually serve you up a dime pass.

Yeah, it really works... :smirk:
    https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/j0rtsu67/video/62352082

• j0rtsu67 wrote: »

Yeah, it really works... :smirk:
    https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/j0rtsu67/video/62352082

This is exactly what I am talking about.