EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Statistical proof that there is something wrong (EASHL 6s)

Prev13
A user named Cheez Whizzzzz in the largest 6s league (LGHL) compiled some numbers regarding scoring in the league over the seasons going back to NHL 13.

(note: this is goals per game PER TEAM, and seasons are listed under each game)

Egbzib6.jpg

Along with scoring being way down from a couple of years ago, goalie stats are way higher than they've ever been. Currently there are 37 goalies in the NHL with a SV% over .800, including 6 goalies with a SV% above .900 (which is unheard of). In the first season in NHL 18 there were 9 NHL goalies with a SV% over .800 and no goalie with a SV% above .830. In the first season of NHL 17 there were 5 goalies with an .800SV% or higher.

There is widespread talk on the league forum of people not enjoying this game at all and wanting to quit. Smart passing plays result in almost no scoring opportunities. One timers are basically useless. The best way to score goals by far is to throw weak shots on net and hope for a good rebound or a deflection.
Even entering the offensive zone is very difficult because playing the trap is the perfect defensive strategy in this game. You can easily bump someone off the puck or poke them, and dump and chase doesn't work with the patched skating engine.

And yes, this isn't going to be indicative of how your average player will feel about the game. This league has over 6000 people signed up this season in xbox and playstation combined across the CHL, AHL, and NHL, with a lot of top 6s players in the game playing in the NHL. This is showing how broken the game is towards the high-end skill level.

Replies

• Have you tried taking high percentage shots to score?

Pretty easy man.
  • Seriously though, it's the hardest game of hockey ea has ever put out to get to good scoring areas, and ironically rewards the least for getting to those areas.
  • I've been saying it so much in these forums that NHL 19 stifles goal scoring. I mean, I can't stay it enough, but this is just proof icing on the cake on top of all the other proof people have been posting since the patches started releasing.
  • And there's also more defensive tools. Better defensive capabilities couldn't possibly be it though, right?
    Statistics only prove what someone wants them to prove.
  • TheMajjam
    439 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    And there's also more defensive tools. Better defensive capabilities couldn't possibly be it though, right?

Fixed. NvM.
  • TheMajjam
    439 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    And what defensive tools, lol? Heightened penalties from NHL 18 on the stick lift, poke check, and checking simply means that these "tools" only work if you're absolutely perfect. There's no wiggle room or grey area and thus you're mostly regulated to playing "position" most of the time. This is a ludicrous logic even in most beer league hockey games.
  • Socair
    1885 posts Game Changer
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    And there's also more defensive tools. Better defensive capabilities couldn't possibly be it though, right?

Statistics prove that you're not trying to beat the other teams' defense. You're trying to beat a souped up AI goalie.
    There are no AI goalies in LG; which is where these stats were gathered.
    NHL Series Game Changer & Volunteer Moderator
  • Socair wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »

Statistics prove that you're not trying to beat the other teams' defense. You're trying to beat a souped up AI goalie.
    There are no AI goalies in LG; which is where these stats were gathered.

Stand correct, Soc! Thanks.
  • And there's also more defensive tools. Better defensive capabilities couldn't possibly be it though, right?

There's also more Pp's than ever in LG. But even then it's obvious that players will always play stellar defense with their new controls either so it's a moot point. It's tough to capitalize on powerplays if you're the top players in the world, especially when facing the top defensemen in the world.
  • B-Bunny
    871 posts Game Changer
    The stick on stick collisions and puck interceptions are a big part of it.
    NHL Gamechanger
    PSN: B-Bunny
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/b_bunny
  • sgiz1
    536 posts Member
    6's feel like there is no space on the ice, it feels congested at all times, no space to skate, no lanes to pass, etc. Goal scoring is way down because there are more turnovers and fewer quality shots, what's left is more low quality shots in desperation to avoid a turnover.

I remember playing VHL, then LG when VHL folded, NHL 12 was the pinnacle of these leagues, there seemed to be space on the ice to skate, to pass, etc. NHL 13 and TPS shrunk the ice and the game has never recovered ever since.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    6's feel like there is no space on the ice, it feels congested at all times, no space to skate, no lanes to pass, etc. Goal scoring is way down because there are more turnovers and fewer quality shots, what's left is more low quality shots in desperation to avoid a turnover.

I remember playing VHL, then LG when VHL folded, NHL 12 was the pinnacle of these leagues, there seemed to be space on the ice to skate, to pass, etc. NHL 13 and TPS shrunk the ice and the game has never recovered ever since.

Said it for years and probably gonna have to keep on saying it. But EASHL should have the Olympic rink option. You can't trap as well in a big surface allow teams to set up more in the offensive zone and work the puck. Granted that helps only a small amount of increasing some scoring.

The other part is they gotta get more seeing eye shots on to the net going around body parts and such. Also screens should be way more effective. Putting 5 in the box is a nightmare for a goalie in real life and they have to just make themselves as big as possible hoping it hits them if they can't see it. So I'd say screen effectiveness needs greatly increased.
  • Defensive capabilities have improved dramatically. I feel like last gen was a toss up whether a D man(even DD) would pick up a cross crease or other pass internetproon. Hitting was meh at best. Custom attributes had people with crazy high puck possession. And someone else said stick on stick or incidental contact has improved dramatically. It’s harder to come away form the puck in highly trafficed areas.

Overall imo the defensive side of the game has improved leaps and bounds. Combine that with the long possession/ trap style meta 6s leagues play. It’s no surprise.

Also,good. I’m glad there’s goalies in that league with +.800/+.900 Save %. I hope they keep goalies the way they are and work to improve them more. Goalies get the shaft year after year. It’s nice they they were biffed his year.
  • Defensive capabilities have improved dramatically. I feel like last gen was a toss up whether a D man(even DD) would pick up a cross crease or other pass internetproon. Hitting was meh at best. Custom attributes had people with crazy high puck possession. And someone else said stick on stick or incidental contact has improved dramatically. It’s harder to come away form the puck in highly trafficed areas.

Overall imo the defensive side of the game has improved leaps and bounds. Combine that with the long possession/ trap style meta 6s leagues play. It’s no surprise.

Also,good. I’m glad there’s goalies in that league with +.800/+.900 Save %. I hope they keep goalies the way they are and work to improve them more. Goalies get the shaft year after year. It’s nice they they were biffed his year.

Yeah goalies are finally where they should be in terms of quality. But as I said above the screens being more effective should be really amped up.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »

Totally on board with the first part. I kind of want to see how EASHL plays out on and international rink.

Goalies should be better, but also having to play better should result in better goaltending. Goalie reflexes this year are ridiculously high. That's why you see middle sitting constantly against good teams in 6s.

I'd love to see a system that rewarded aggressive goaltending as opposed to penalizing it.

Goalies should be better, but also having to play better should result in better goaltending. Goalie reflexes this year are ridiculously high. That's why you see middle sitting constantly against good teams in 6s.

I'd love to see a system that rewarded aggressive goaltending as opposed to penalizing it.

The system kind of does though. You need the right player types. I’m somewhere around 100-150 games in net between club, league, and drops. I’ve seen sniper builds with enough time wind up and just straight pick a corner, likewise with a clapper from a D man. And it’s not that against the grain, goalie gets sucked in to over committing movement either. Just a good old fashioned snipe. And I’ve been rewarded for moving forward to challenge the shorter more often.

There is an annoyingly high amount of middle sitting as a result of the biffed reflexes. But I hope they don’t nerf middle sitting by lowering the reflexes. Cause I really like where goalie is right now.

The system kind of does though. You need the right player types. I’m somewhere around 100-150 games in net between club, league, and drops. I’ve seen sniper builds with enough time wind up and just straight pick a corner, likewise with a clapper from a D man. And it’s not that against the grain, goalie gets sucked in to over committing movement either. Just a good old fashioned snipe. And I’ve been rewarded for moving forward to challenge the shorter more often.

There is an annoyingly high amount of middle sitting as a result of the biffed reflexes. But I hope they don’t nerf middle sitting by lowering the reflexes. Cause I really like where goalie is right now.

You don't nerf the middle sitting by lowering reflexes. What you do is make shots a bit more accurate and lessen the reach of goalies for those corner shots.
  • It's not a coincidence ppg has dropped since the implementation of defensive skill stick and increased incidental contact.
  • I am pretty sure we can all list off the why's of this (defensive tools, stick on stick etc) but the point I am taking from this and from talking to quite a few people in drop-in, club, LG and casual friends is that the game doesn't feel that fun. No flow in the game. You lose the puck so easily from bumps, pokes, stick lifts, pass interceptions. Unless you are playing a team/club whos skill level is way under yours, it is very hard to make plays, skate, deke and cycle. Any team that is decent at defense can stifle the play pretty easily. Put 2 teams that can play this game competently against each other and its a snore fest.

Just my 2 cents knowing my club and I are by no means elite but are above average players.