EA Forums - Banner

The resemblance is nauseating...

I just played a few VS games about 45 minutes ago and turned my xbox off about 2 and half periods into the 2nd game. All the tuners and updates in the last month and a half and we are literally back to NHL 18 and its absolutely sickening. We are back to where good offense means swinging your stick back and forth while in possession of the puck as a logical means of protecting it. Physicality on D is non existant as attempting to hit/rub someone off the puck usually results in the offensive player morphing by you. Everyone is back to having skating talents equivalent of John Scott and the game is delayed/slow in every facet. D intercepts aren't even 50/50 when in passing lanes, as long as the forward is holding their stick 500 feet away from their body on forehand or backhand, the pass is getting through. AI players stop skating on breakouts resulting in turnovers, breakout passes leading to odd man rushes dont connect leading to icings and 5 foot area passes are boucing off my players skates with no one within 50 feet. Agility no longer exists and we are back to the days where tight turns closely resemble traffic cam footage of an 18 wheeler making a u-turn on a 2 lane road.

This game isnt enjoyable any more, it has become a chore at best. The most efficient use of this game would be to play it before one of my actual games, or maybe before a street fight because I know it will send me into a fit of rage.

What is it going to take? Do we all (most of us) in this forum need to put our heads together to help design and produce another NHL game? This is the only game I look forward to every year and I always convince myself that it will be different. After playing the BETA I knew this would be the year, that we FINALLY were getting a hockey game that made sense and was as fluid as the game we all know and love should be. I will Red Box next years game or gameshare with someone (if anyone buys it again) but I will not give EA another dime of my money until they put out a game that is something other than a rotten, recycled baby diaper.

Sincerely,

A once raving fan of the franchise.

Replies

• I just played a few VS games about 45 minutes ago and turned my xbox off about 2 and half periods into the 2nd game. All the tuners and updates in the last month and a half and we are literally back to NHL 18 and its absolutely sickening. We are back to where good offense means swinging your stick back and forth while in possession of the puck as a logical means of protecting it. Physicality on D is non existant as attempting to hit/rub someone off the puck usually results in the offensive player morphing by you. Everyone is back to having skating talents equivalent of John Scott and the game is delayed/slow in every facet. D intercepts aren't even 50/50 when in passing lanes, as long as the forward is holding their stick 500 feet away from their body on forehand or backhand, the pass is getting through.

Brother, I know your pain.
  • Not sure why they nerfed shoves when at a standstill. Literally happens every single game. Impossible to shove people out of the crease when they’re digging for a rebound unless you’re max height and weight and or moving

Christian Djoos is one of the lightest dmen in the league and has no problem shoving any player at a standstill. They may not go very far but at least they move.
  • I just played a few VS games about 45 minutes ago and turned my xbox off about 2 and half periods into the 2nd game. All the tuners and updates in the last month and a half and we are literally back to NHL 18 and its absolutely sickening. We are back to where good offense means swinging your stick back and forth while in possession of the puck as a logical means of protecting it. Physicality on D is non existant as attempting to hit/rub someone off the puck usually results in the offensive player morphing by you. Everyone is back to having skating talents equivalent of John Scott and the game is delayed/slow in every facet. D intercepts aren't even 50/50 when in passing lanes, as long as the forward is holding their stick 500 feet away from their body on forehand or backhand, the pass is getting through. AI players stop skating on breakouts resulting in turnovers, breakout passes leading to odd man rushes dont connect leading to icings and 5 foot area passes are boucing off my players skates with no one within 50 feet. Agility no longer exists and we are back to the days where tight turns closely resemble traffic cam footage of an 18 wheeler making a u-turn on a 2 lane road.

This game isnt enjoyable any more, it has become a chore at best. The most efficient use of this game would be to play it before one of my actual games, or maybe before a street fight because I know it will send me into a fit of rage.

What is it going to take? Do we all (most of us) in this forum need to put our heads together to help design and produce another NHL game? This is the only game I look forward to every year and I always convince myself that it will be different. After playing the BETA I knew this would be the year, that we FINALLY were getting a hockey game that made sense and was as fluid as the game we all know and love should be. I will Red Box next years game or gameshare with someone (if anyone buys it again) but I will not give EA another dime of my money until they put out a game that is something other than a rotten, recycled baby diaper.

Sincerely,

A once raving fan of the franchise.

Completely agree.
  • You'd think with the overwhelming majority of people on these forums, from the ea haters to defenders all in agreement that the beta was much more fun that they'd bring it back.

@EA_Roger @NHL_ONL_Producer @NHLDev why aren't you guys going back to the very first iteration of the game and then just tuning the poke checks to where they are now? If I remember correctly that was really only peoples' complaints, minus the op backskating but I think we'd all agree we would take the back skating of then over the current NHL 18 looking skating we have now...
  • Game was better, minus the phantom trips that were fixed, at beta or launch.

Still think it's better than 18, but I thought the game played better at launch.
  • I so agree with all that you said magicmittsmase.
    I was hoping for this skating change to make the game feel more responsive, and not be the same imputlag-fest of years past. And I was hoping that hitting would be a option in the game again, but no, Every time you get up against a good team, you see that hitting is unrealistically weak if you turn just so, and hold the puck to side just so.

I have no problem getting beat by a team of good players, but I have a big problem with non-hits!

I can't see why the hitting is so unrealistic still! It should be easier to separate the puck from the carrier, even if you not knock him down.

Sometimes you hit a forward, so he, (properly) lose the puck-but he instantly get it back. While still being in good position I then stick-lift him, but he is mashing x so he get the puck back again. Since I'm back-skating in front of him still, I then poke the puck away-but he get it on his tape within a tens of a sec. He hold the puck to the side again and shoot, I go down and block the shot-the puck go in some insane/improbable angle to another forward on his team, (this "physics" are imho simple scripting). The goalie is now locked in a save-animation for a while, human or otherwise, and its a 95% goal.

To sum this sequence up, I made 4 good defensive plays, and all four could lead to a penalty, but all it was : a exercise in futility. I get so "¤&%#&/ angry!

While this was an rare example, any defenseman could say I did two of these and the opposing player continues with the puck, and it happens in every game and every night we play.

Numerous other things get me mad too:

inability to pick up the puck
    "seamless puck-pick ups" (remove from game now)
    passing
    servers
    matchmaking
    menus
    button configuration/stick configuration
    garbage goals
    glitch goals
    backhand passes
    rebound control (any weak backhand shot can give juicy rebound)
    shooting % while at really bad angles (lower)
    AI overall crappiness
    AI def fantastic pass-interception rate (lower)
    AI inability to avoid own goal and goalkeeper
    AI defensive uselessness if you wiggle the stick a bit
    AI unreal passing ability
    the number of bugs still in the game
    the number of new bugs still in the game by release(longer open beta time)
    opening a bag in chel (give option to open all)
    Extra man ai (should be human in EASHL)
    Goalie AI (should learn with in the game so that same type of goal should have less chance of going in again. Alot of players score the same goals over and over. Be it glitch- or rebound- or any kind of goals)

I played this game since 1993, and i remember averaging 11 hits/game in NHL14 in some 4000 games. Was about 2000 drop-ins and 2000 club games. Nor a noob, nor a pro player, just a guy that intensely love hockey. FURY-69- PS4
    Just want to play hockey with my friends, (and get new friends) while not loosing my mind over the broken game! Fix it please, or hire ppl that can.

(All this I should add, is mostly about EASHL, the preferred game mode, but most of the broken stuff effect all game modes.)
    FURY-69-.png