EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 CHEL NOTES - HUT Deep dive

Andrew Marks HUT Producer and Nicholas Shewchuk Live Content Producer discuss HUT in NHL 20.
Check it out here.

Can we seriously reconsider penalty shots in 3s?

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
577 posts Member
edited October 2018
Every time you play 3s and get a penalty, it’s quite literally an automatic goal. Backhand, forehand, backhand. That’s all you need to do to get a goal. It takes the competitiveness out of the game mode. Especially in EASHL playoffs. Why is that a thing in the playoffs?

I get it. “Don’t take penalty”. Trust me, I do.

Try going back to the power play for a bit. I bet the ones who will cry foul are the ones who relay on hitting the same cheese move over and over again because they can’t play team hockey.

Replies

• I hear you. Penalty shots wouldn't be terrible if goalies had anything remotely close to a realistic success rate, but the way it stands now you have to just hope your opponent screws up his go-to move.

The only way to make powerplays work in threes though would be to go 3v2, 3v1, etc. Trying to be "realistic" and go to 4v3 by adding two AI players was terrible last year when the game launched.

I assumed last year when EA went with the penalty shot solution that bus was just an easy, safe to implement stopgap and a proper solution would come along in a patch or in NHL 19. Yet here we are...
  • 3s used to have penalties but the idea of playing 3s was to play with friends and not get stuck with ai teammates.
  • ExSnake01
    444 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    The person who took the penalty should be able to control goalie. That would fix this problem. We already have this ability in versus.
  • I would prefer 4 on 3 with AI or 3 on 2. I feel a large portion of goals in 3s is the penalty shot. I wonder what percentage of 3s goals are penalty shots. Maybe EA dev can find this out?
  • 3s used to have penalties but the idea of playing 3s was to play with friends and not get stuck with ai teammates.

I get that. But the solution to that shouldn’t be an automatic goal.

rcompton78 wrote: »
    I would prefer 4 on 3 with AI or 3 on 2. I feel a large portion of goals in 3s is the penalty shot. I wonder what percentage of 3s goals are penalty shots. Maybe EA dev can find this out?

You ever lose to a team who scores most or if not all of their goals on the penalty shots? It’s ruins the mode when a team scores most of their goals on a penalty shot.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    3s used to have penalties but the idea of playing 3s was to play with friends and not get stuck with ai teammates.

I would prefer 4 on 3 with AI or 3 on 2. I feel a large portion of goals in 3s is the penalty shot. I wonder what percentage of 3s goals are penalty shots. Maybe EA dev can find this out?

You ever lose to a team who scores most or if not all of their goals on the penalty shots? It’s ruins the mode when a team scores most of their goals on a penalty shot.

Unless every one of the goals that are being scored are indeedexploit, that's not on EA, that's on the team who keeps getting the penalties.
    3s used to have penalties but the idea of playing 3s was to play with friends and not get stuck with ai teammates.

Unless every one of the goals that are being scored are indeedexploit, that's not on EA, that's on the team who keeps getting the penalties.

That's probably 75% of the goals that are taken on the penalty shots. There's maybe 15% of people who don't try to do an exploited maneuver.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    577 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I get that but the Ai can take penalties. Again, a penalty in 3s shouldn’t be an automatic goal.

That's probably 75% of the goals that are taken on the penalty shots. There's maybe 15% of people who don't try to do an exploited maneuver.

More like 90% of players exploit by doing the garbage moves again and again.
  • I was being generous haha
  • I was being generous haha

I kinda was too. Everybody does it.

Yes if I am taking a bunch of penalties then sure I can take the hit. Having said that if the game is tight and low scoring because both teams are playing great D and not letting too many high percentage chances and the winning goal is an oopsy in the corner?? The PS happens and the player does the WAY overused short side cheese this year and you lose by 1.

That sucks and it happens a lot. Maybe not losing by 1. I can say most games I have played in there are 1-2 penatly shot goals for each side. Not a great experience IMO.

• rcompton78 wrote: »

Yes if I am taking a bunch of penalties then sure I can take the hit. Having said that if the game is tight and low scoring because both teams are playing great D and not letting too many high percentage chances and the winning goal is an oopsy in the corner?? The PS happens and the player does the WAY overused short side cheese this year and you lose by 1.

That sucks and it happens a lot. Maybe not losing by 1. I can say most games I have played in there are 1-2 penatly shot goals for each side. Not a great experience IMO.

It just ruins the mode. There’s no doubt about that. How is it fun scoring the same cheese over and over?
  • @NHLDev

Can we get any thing from the team regarding penalty shots?
  • Penalties in real life 3v3 are penalty shots too. The game has it correct.

3v2, 3v1 etc. would be interesting to try though.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »
    Penalties in real life 3v3 are penalty shots too. The game has it correct.

Im assuming you're not talking NHL rules, but pickup or league play. I think many are asking for NHL OT rules which I wouldn't mind seeing done.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. However, I think there will always be an exploit shot in this game. Either we have to play with human goalies or just be prepared to watch them happen when playing with the AI. But I agree, at least we would have a little bit more control of the outcome instead of sitting on the bench.

I actually didn't mind the idea of someone taking over the goalie similar to VS/HUT on a PS. I don't know how it could be implemented, but I wouldn't mind testing that out.
  • Workin_OT wrote: »

Not in the NHL. It would be a 4on3 powerplay. Maybe it is in another league, but I thought EASHL is based on NHL rules
  • Jonogunn
    33 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Workin_OT wrote: »

But real life doesn’t have the broken poke checking nor can you cheese a real life goalie with the same move over and over again. If it did I doubt they would keep those rules.

I always liked the idea of 3V2, penalty kill then if you take another penalty during the kill the other team then gets a penalty shot

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • HockeyCityUSA
    500 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Jonogunn wrote: »

But real life doesn’t have the broken poke checking nor can you cheese a real life goalie with the same move over and over again. If it did I doubt they would keep those rules.

I always liked the idea of 3V2, penalty kill then if you take another penalty during the kill the other team then gets a penalty shot

If there were "cheese" plays in the real NHL, that would be hilarious! Could you imagine the players on the ice or even the fans in the crowd? I bet we would see a lot more fights between the two teams haha.
  • Jonogunn wrote: »

[Socair - edited swear filter]

The 3v2 sounds cool. But again EASHL is based on NHL rules. On the other hand...maybe sacrifice that rule for a better experience because an automatic goal is beyond dumb.