EA Forums - Banner

Camera(s) What do you use?

Prev1
So I always spend too much time messing around among the different camera angles, never really finding anything which captures the feeling of speed and fun of the game, yet aren't disorienting or otherwise handicapped when it comes to online play(mostly 6v6 drop in). While I realize that Classic or of of the other top down~ish views are the most practical, they aren't really all that fun, nor that good to shoot on the goalie with. Kinda wish one of the lower ones would stick with you in that third person view, going wider and panning a little when necessary.. ie breaking into the offensive zone along the boards panning to see the skater in the slot. The low, high, and fixed views all kinda do this but are so jarring as the camera switches.

So, what do you guys use?
All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..

Replies

• I use overhead. As I am sure you know, the camera moves a little bit as you move up the ice, so it does kill the speed effect a little. I see no other option according to what you describe. Broadcast view would, imo, give the biggest speed effect but I don't see how that would be playable.

AS far as I am concerned, every top view would kill the effect of speed to one degree or another.
  • ya the top ones are all pretty much like staring down at ants. Tactically superior, less so from a fun perspective. Just played a couple games Low, Auto Zoom off and it was kinda fun. Kinda disorienting as the camera pans, but pretty sweet if you can pull off a move and are bearing down on the goalie. Bit of a mess in the offensive zone when the camera pan sweeps around.
  • ya the top ones are all pretty much like staring down at ants. Tactically superior, less so from a fun perspective. Just played a couple games Low, Auto Zoom off and it was kinda fun. Kinda disorienting as the camera pans, but pretty sweet if you can pull off a move and are bearing down on the goalie. Bit of a mess in the offensive zone when the camera pan sweeps around.

Ya indeed it is more immersive, but gives too much of a tunnel vision feeling and doesn't offer a big enough view of the ice, imo.
  • I can’t decide what I dislike the least, so I’ve revently been switching between classic and zone, sometimes actually mid game depending on how it’s playing out. Lol
  • it really is all about what you dislike less, rather than liking more..isnt it.. Im pretty much alternating between low, high, and fixed whenever I get a penalty...between periods..during whistles.. Thing is with something like High, after discounting when the camera buggers, some of the angles and views are a lot of fun. That said, trying to quick pass when the camera is panning hard is ...not so good...im sure some people are facepalming at me...

Wish there were more options, kinda also wish you could use all of the options in the free skate and other modes so they could really be shopped around.

As far as tactically superior compromises I think Classics probably best.. those angles just don't capture the fun of hockey at all for me.
  • it really is all about what you dislike less, rather than liking more..isnt it.. Im pretty much alternating between low, high, and fixed whenever I get a penalty...between periods..during whistles.. Thing is with something like High, after discounting when the camera buggers, some of the angles and views are a lot of fun. That said, trying to quick pass when the camera is panning hard is ...not so good...im sure some people are facepalming at me...

Wish there were more options, kinda also wish you could use all of the options in the free skate and other modes so they could really be shopped around.

As far as tactically superior compromises I think Classics probably best.. those angles just don't capture the fun of hockey at all for me.

Ideally I want a custom camera that allows me to zoom in or as far out as I want. Maybe slightly able to modify the angle would be sweet too.

I have to say though, I by far preferred the overhead cam alot more on old gen. Seems like I had a bigger view range. Now in my zone, I can barely see past the blue line. Is it just me, or...
  • I actually skipped that gen so missed the heyday of the game. That said, i agree nothing really seems to work well does it.

Completely agree with the custom camera, I kinda hoped that was what Vision control would be rather than the mostly North South..sometimes squaring to the puck that it is now. Its all kinda confusing for a game 20+ years old.
  • I don’t WANT to use overhead but it’s necessary to really see the play. I would love to use dynamic medium or high but it just doesn’t show enough of the play, and I can’t think of a suggestion that would allow me to use dynamic medium without limiting my awareness

• Zone. Once the puck drops hold back/select for a more dynamic option that keeps you and the puck in view.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    In ovp/hut I use classic.

In EASHL I use zone when playing D, classic when playing forward. I wish there was a possibility to set default camera also for FWD and D (like there is for a goalie), it shouldn't be too hard to add. Too many times I forget to change it and have to play 1st set with "wrong" camera. Sometimes I even forget to change it during intermission.

Btw dynamic ones make me feel dizzy... :D

• j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    In ovp/hut I use classic.

In EASHL I use zone when playing D, classic when playing forward. I wish there was a possibility to set default camera also for FWD and D (like there is for a goalie), it shouldn't be too hard to add. Too many times I forget to change it and have to play 1st set with "wrong" camera. Sometimes I even forget to change it during intermission.

Btw dynamic ones make me feel dizzy... :D

Ya. Zone really does seem the most utilitarian. Hate how I’m staring at ants but it’s the only way to not be a liability. Still would love some functional version of Low or High as it gives more of a feeling of the speed of the game. I wished they had spent less time over the years removing and then replacing and more building. Kinda crazy the cameras are so limiting with a series that started in the 90’s
  • I want a first person view...just because
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    I want a first person view...just because

So much..
    I actually think a good VR expierence would be great, head on a swivel and all that...but yea. Until then..
  • Remember Custom Camera #4 from last gen? EA keeps moving forward, by giving us less.
    EASHL player
  • Remember Custom Camera #4 from last gen? EA keeps moving forward, by giving us less.

I wish. Took that generation off from gaming. Would love some sort of custom cam
  • Man I wish there were a low view which worked. Like a full frame 12mm zooming into 35mm..a very quick zoom. Like 1/4 of the time it takes to snap in when your using low/high/fixed that’s too long. It’s immobilizing and disorienting. I dunno. Bigger fish to fry..it’s hust crazy that’s its 2019 and the cameras are so few
  • I remember my favourite camera mode was custom ... Whatever happened to custom ...

Wish they would give us custom zoom options too ... Like zoom in and out of offensive zone, neutral zone , defensive zone, while your team has possession, while they don't, and while you have possession, the closer to the net the more Zoom I want , if I have a break away, I want my penalty shot camera ... If I move from the corner boards , with puck posses in the offensive zone and start skating up to the blue line I want to unzoom, if I move to the net I want it to zoom in, and maybe pan right some too ...

You figure after 20+ years camera angles wouldn't be a problem, or AI , or pretty much the whole game ... 4 years on New gen ... But hey the got alot of jerseys , that's what matters , and mascots , can't forget those mascots.
  • Yeah..pretty much every thing you said. Double for mascots..

Being able to set custom parameters would be sick. That’s even something which could be done a shareable cool thing.
  • Overhead. Was a classic guy but I found overhead better because I got to see more. It took me a little to get used to overhead and ounce I did I never looked back.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Overhead. Was a classic guy but I found overhead better because I got to see more. It took me a little to get used to overhead and ounce I did I never looked back.

Yeah. I just feel that those top down views do a disservice to the speed and fluidity of the game. Sure there would be trade offs with lower views but they would also be more fun...and exciting too