EA Forums - Banner

This isnt hockey anymore...

Prev1
Above1988
80 posts Member
edited October 2018
Cant hit. Cant poke. Stick lift =automatic penalty. But who needs to be able to play defense?!?! Especially when everyone else on your team literally does nothing now! No no, THAT would be too realistic EA!

Puck carrier just keeps spinning circles all over the ice. The same single player is just ragging all over the place, puck is just glued to his stick and if youre not perfectly in front of him, he's unhittable...

SO, because he just keeps spinning circles, and has this magical EA ability to never lose the puck, hes basically invincible!

All you can basically do, is pretend to awkwardly skate out of position , let him take a shot and hope he misses, just you can get the puck back and start loopdy-looping all the way back to his end.

Whoever plays keep-away the longest and scores the most lucky goals wins! Yayyyyyy !

What should this game be called?! Because its definitely not NHL hockey.

Replies

• I can hit, poke, stick lift. Just cant do it like before, gotta pick an choose. I rarely get penalties.

You just need to adjust, it's not the same , it's more realistic in the end
  • jiajji
    334 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I stopped playing the game in 16 because it was such trash.

Gave it a shot this year and I'm glad I did, everything the Community was complaining about was addressed as far as gameplay was concerned. We wanted more realistic skating, wanted pokes to stop going through legs, passes to stop going through sticks, hitting to stop being cartoonish, the lobby to stop being a race for positions...

All along as we were asking for more realistic stick play the Devs told us that it would result in some messy stuff we wouldn't like in a video game, but the Community absolutely Demanded it. From what I can see they more or less nailed it, with some unfortunate offensive bias which is bound to take place in a video game.

I agree with most of the criticism with regard to menus and matchmaking. I don't know about the Legends thing, dont care. From a strictly gameplay POV when this game works (which is the issue for me) I feel like I'm playing the best nhl title there ever was.

Its certainly possible to not be happy with the product, you can't please everyone, but its obvious to me that the Devs are listening to the Community and attempting to bring the type of game people want. This place was lit up with criticism going back to 2012, it seems to me the people complaining about it now are the people who maybe were happy with the apparent direction of the franchise back then.
  • This year is the earliest I’ve ever bailed on this game. It usually lasts me thru the playoffs and I’m don’t in October. Way Too many penalties overall and why did cut down the speed?? No flow to games as result, games take too long.
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    Cant hit. Cant poke. Stick lift =automatic penalty. But who needs to be able to play defense?!?! Especially when everyone else on your team literally does nothing now! No no, THAT would be too realistic EA!

Puck carrier just keeps spinning circles all over the ice. The same single player is just ragging all over the place, puck is just glued to his stick and if youre not perfectly in front of him, he's unhittable...

SO, because he just keeps spinning circles, and has this magical EA ability to never lose the puck, hes basically invincible!

All you can basically do, is pretend to awkwardly skate out of position , let him take a shot and hope he misses, just you can get the puck back and start loopdy-looping all the way back to his end.

Whoever plays keep-away the longest and scores the most lucky goals wins! Yayyyyyy !

I completely agree.
  • Above1988 wrote: »

I completely agree.

Yes. This. I really only play VS and it’s just silly now for these reasons.
  • I can hit, poke, stick lift. Just cant do it like before, gotta pick an choose. I rarely get penalties.

What part is more realistic now?
  • NHL defenders don’t have fuctioning arms 90% of the time and are also really kittens?
  • After thinking about it a few days it seems that things could be better if the Poke and Stick lift buttons were expanded into more of a skill stick thing. So you could hold a button down then control it with the right stick. Between the pokes honing in on skate blades, and the lifts, if done a little out of range, end up being this..rage of a thousand suns..slashing attempts..things still need a little work.

Also, i think most of the speed issues would be addressed if they gave us a little boost in the 0-15ft acceleration. Leave top speed alone for now.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • After thinking about it a few days it seems that things could be better if the Poke and Stick lift buttons were expanded into more of a skill stick thing. So you could hold a button down then control it with the right stick. Between the pokes honing in on skate blades, and the lifts, if done a little out of range, end up being this..rage of a thousand suns..slashing attempts..things still need a little work.

Also, i think most of the speed issues would be addressed if they gave us a little boost in the 0-15ft acceleration. Leave top speed alone for now.

For pokes, you can and should be aiming them and even more so while using the skill stick. RB should not be used for poking. Simply tapping RB alot of times will aim close to the skates. You should be using your skill stick to set up your poke and when you are ready to poke, hit R3.

Also, for all those dropin heroes that get 225 penalties a game, please stop poke checking from behind. The success rate of a penalty from behind is 100%. Thank-you.

Stick lifts.... that is a whole other bag of cats and good luck with that one lol.
  • Thanks for the R3 tip. Appreciate it. It often feels as if I'm missing something when it comes to fighting for the puck.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..

There's nothing realistic about the game forcing puck possession by clipping puck and sticks through players.

Stop telling people to adjust to broken mechanics. It needs to be addressed and fixed.

The git gud crowd never stops.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    I can hit, poke, stick lift. Just cant do it like before, gotta pick an choose. I rarely get penalties.

There's nothing realistic about the game forcing puck possession by clipping puck and sticks through players.

Stop telling people to adjust to broken mechanics. It needs to be addressed and fixed.

If they went full 100% collision physics between pucks, legs, skates, and sticks everyone on this board would be losing their minds that the game is bad. We'll never have the fidelity and precision with our character's skating and stick handling for it to work. It would be awful, boring, and a loose puck riddled game. You need clipping to an extent.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the R3 tip. Appreciate it. It often feels as if I'm missing something when it comes to fighting for the puck.

Anytime.

Best things about using your skill stick for poke checking is:

1- Your poke will follow the angle of where your skill stick was aiming, so you know exactly in which direction your poke will go therefore a predictable outcome.

2- Your stick is already extended, therefore the travel distance when you poke the puck is greatly reduced, therefore (technically) taking the puck carrier more by surprise than a standard RB poke check. This also helps in knowing where yo are with your gap whereas a blind RB poke is harder to gauge your gap.

3- Since you are controlling your angle prior to poking, you should not be aiming at skates anymore.

This will take time and practice before you are very comfortable with it. If it is frustrating at first, stick with it and keep at it. You should start to feel pretty comfortable within 10 games or less, depending on your hands and how quick you catch on. It will teach you something, make you a better player over time, and you will sit less in the box.

If a puck carrier is less than a stick's length away, you should not be poking. If you are behind the puck carrier, you don't poke. You will fail every time.

If you are skating alongside a carrier, try to get your skill stick out in front of you then angle it towards the puck. This is the hardest to do as we don't always have time and we simply want to poke the puck with RB. This is situational and sometimes the penalty is worth it.

If a carrier is holding his stick way off to the side, or even behind his back (which is about 90% of the time lol) then simply wait until he brings the puck back. Eventually he has to bring his stick back and that is when you strike. Or, with the skill stick, place the blade of your stick where the puck will be when he does bring his stick back and be patient. When he brings his stick back, you will clip the puck, or will deflect his shot if you are a little short of touching the puck. Worst case, he moves away or passes it somewhere. Either case, you did your job.

I would also suggest playing dropins with a terrible team against good players if you can. LOL, I know, I know, why would you want to suffer that? Simply put, if you play with great players all the time, you won't learn or practice much on D. Play a few games like this, and I tell you, you will learn tons and alot faster.

Forgive me if you know all this already, but I feel more information is better than not enough.

Cheers.
    Post edited by WainGretSki on
    I can hit, poke, stick lift. Just cant do it like before, gotta pick an choose. I rarely get penalties.

If they went full 100% collision physics between pucks, legs, skates, and sticks everyone on this board would be losing their minds that the game is bad. We'll never have the fidelity and precision with our character's skating and stick handling for it to work. It would be awful, boring, and a loose puck riddled game. You need clipping to an extent.

Check out the last clip in the Overpowered Forwards thread and tell me if that's okay, because that's what I've been experiencing a lot lately.
    TheMajjam wrote: »

Check out the last clip in the Overpowered Forwards thread and tell me if that's okay, because that's what I've been experiencing a lot lately.

Yeah man, it's pretty crappy that stuff is happening. I've been following that thread, Some is bad bounces, some is player attribute related and some is poor game mechanics.

All I'm saying is you do not want 100% collision man, you really really don't. This game would take a hard nose dive real quick.
  • Above1988
    80 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Yeah man, it's pretty crappy that stuff is happening. I've been following that thread, Some is bad bounces, some is player attribute related and some is poor game mechanics.

All I'm saying is you do not want 100% collision man, you really really don't. This game would take a hard nose dive real quick.

Give me 100% collision detection. Give me the ability to separate a players stick from the puck! Give me more tools on defense other than just a useless skill stick and a penalty spawning stick lift!

PK Suban said it best himself in the opening pre-release trailers : "everyone's getting hit!"

I want it to be a battle for the puck! Like an actual NHL game! This would really separate the skilled players from all the complainers that get their way every year with this puck ragging and keep away nonsense! ITS LAME!

Heck, call it "hardcore mode" or something and make it as realistic as a real life hockey simulation as possible....that way everyone gets their way! If you can't handle it, then it's not for you!

Yes it would be challenging, but you would feel SO much better and more confident about your "skills" if you could win consistently with more realistic physics. It would be like when PUBG first hit the scene and everyone was be raving about how impossible it was and just think of how good you would feel for actually winning for the first time.

I want a gritty battle for possession and players fighting tooth and nail for the puck, and most importantly PROVING they can outsmart and out skill the defense, and not just relying on exploiting the same broken mechanics that they take advantage of, every single game.

That's the NHL game I want to play!

[Socair - edited for profanity]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • tired of people who can't defend and cry..

i use to be in all nhl a pokecheck spammer and i learned to stop in this nhl..

just accept it and take your time to face the skater and wait the good moment to pullcheck or hit.

just accept it and take your time to face the skater and wait the good moment to pullcheck or hit.

I think this thread is generally in reference to the tuners and updates since beta. I didn’t see anyone here advocating for return of poke check spamming ....

It’s about the style of play the game encourages now. Its neither a fun nor realistic experience. But I suppose that’s not a valid opinion. Got it.

Tired of people crying about people not actually crying ...

Check out my threads where I have examples of my defense.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233321/are-forwards-overpowered-on-loose-pucks-im-getting-a-penalty-shot-error#latest

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233241/defensive-pickups-post-tuner#latest

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233426/thank-you-ea-for-enabling-this-trash-play-will-you-ever-learn-the-meaning-of-the-word-balance#latest

After watching, tell me where you see me poke spamming? You git gudder comment people get me sick sometimes because no matter how much people give evidence that the game mechanics are utter trash sometimes, you guys always have to talk about someone's game. It never fails.

If anyone wants to critique my defense game, by all means, add me! Add me, play with me, and then come talk trash about the way I play on these forums. If not, stop telling me to "git gud" and "adjust".
  • Socair
    2642 posts Game Changer
    tired of people who can't defend and cry..

Check out my threads where I have examples of my defense.

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233321/are-forwards-overpowered-on-loose-pucks-im-getting-a-penalty-shot-error#latest

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233241/defensive-pickups-post-tuner#latest

https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/233426/thank-you-ea-for-enabling-this-trash-play-will-you-ever-learn-the-meaning-of-the-word-balance#latest

After watching, tell me where you see me poke spamming? You git gudder comment people get me sick sometimes because no matter how much people give evidence that the game mechanics are utter trash sometimes, you guys always have to talk about someone's game. It never fails.

If anyone wants to critique my defense game, by all means, add me! Add me, play with me, and then come talk trash about the way I play on these forums. If not, stop telling me to "git gud" and "adjust".
    I haven’t seen anyone trash talk you or say “git gud” (or specific variations of that). People are allowed to disagree and say they don’t have the same issues.