EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

How often do you buy a new NHL game?

I’m just curious;
Do you buy the new NHL every year?
Every 2 years? Maybe to really see the changes.

And I’m just curious if anyone would ever do a cheap month subscription for NHL if it meant monthly roster, content, and graphic updates?

Again I’m just curious, I’m not suggesting any changes.

Replies

• i was out of gamming for 15 years or so. then 2 x-masses ago i bought XBox for the spousal unit because she wanted to play sking and driving games. i held out from playing until that summer when i was home sick one day and been trying to catch up since.

NHL 18 was my 1st game of any kind since NHL2K2 for Dreamcast. i bought the basic version on sale about this time last year and had a blast. i did the Pre-Order for NHL 19 Ultimate to see if it was worth it to get the extras (it was not and the extras are not that extra) . the game is fine but i did enjoy 18 more than 19 but that very well could be all the time that past before i got 18.

i'd prefer EA go with a subscription model especially since they push everything to HUT and the loot boxes (packs). they should do this with all the sports games in my opinion. they also need to do away with how the buying of packs works (it's gambling and EA has no logical argument against) and just let us buy the player cards we want.

that being said, i will probably be buying NHL 20 and doing the pre-order and ultimate level again because i can and i do like the game....i just don't like EA in any shape or form. not every hockey fan likes the NHL and i'd like to not have to pick a NHL team as my favorite when i start the game.
  • I skipped 15 on current gen but bought it on old gen.

Skipped 18

bought 18 and 19

I used to buy the game pretty much every single year but between 2002 and 2008 I think I bought 2 versions. 2009 brought new life with the addition of EASHL and renewed my interest.
  • HuskyAhiga wrote: »
    I’m just curious;

And I’m just curious if anyone would ever do a cheap month subscription for NHL if it meant monthly roster, content, and graphic updates?

I brought this up shortly after the beta ended. It would depend how much the monthly subscription is. If it were $5 - $10 a month and we're guaranteed patches, roster updates, and new content, then sure, I'm in. However, any more, then I would probably not even consider it.

The issue is, many of the patches we are given are not what many of us want. Many of the roster updates have incorrect lines or players in the wrong positions. So if that's what we would be getting each month, it really wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. But honestly, I would probably still do it because I love the game of hockey too much.

I’m just curious;

I brought this up shortly after the beta ended. It would depend how much the monthly subscription is. If it were $5 - $10 a month and we're guaranteed patches, roster updates, and new content, then sure, I'm in. However, any more, then I would probably not even consider it.

The issue is, many of the patches we are given are not what many of us want. Many of the roster updates have incorrect lines or players in the wrong positions. So if that's what we would be getting each month, it really wouldn't be worth it in my opinion. But honestly, I would probably still do it because I love the game of hockey too much.

Pfft, tell you what. I would pay $5-$10 a month especially this year. I paid $80 for something that doesn't resemble it anymore. I would have lost $10-$20 because I would have cancelled my subscription by now.

It is clear this game is going back down that very path I hate and I really do feel like I got suckered into the beta then purchase tactic. Why is the game so freaking different?? What's the joke, and what's the plan?

This path has been going on for years. Safe to say it will be there in years, so I think the path ends for me with EA. Sadly, I love hockey with a fierce passion and EA is killing my desire to play it virtually. The only reason I still play is for my club. Luckily I still hit the ice at least once a week so there is a hockey fix in there.
  • I buy it every year, except 15. I will likely continue buying it every year. I'm just too addicted to EASHL 6v6s. Playing club every night with the guys I club with, no other game comes close to that.

I wouldn't care about a subscription model. Nor would I care about EA switching to a dev cycle that was 2-3 years long per release.
  • Day one every year.
    I’m just curious;

Pfft, tell you what. I would pay $5-$10 a month especially this year. I paid $80 for something that doesn't resemble it anymore. I would have lost $10-$20 because I would have cancelled my subscription by now.

It is clear this game is going back down that very path I hate and I really do feel like I got suckered into the beta then purchase tactic. Why is the game so freaking different?? What's the joke, and what's the plan?

This path has been going on for years. Safe to say it will be there in years, so I think the path ends for me with EA. Sadly, I love hockey with a fierce passion and EA is killing my desire to play it virtually. The only reason I still play is for my club. Luckily I still hit the ice at least once a week so there is a hockey fix in there.

Well the majority of my games played are in VS. $5-$10 to play VS is worth it in my mind. That is as long as we still get the updates. Other than some AI glitches, I have a lot of fun playing this game. And I only own 2 games, so I get a lot of playing time out of it.

But if EA were to take this route, they would potentially double up their revenue per year ($60 for a game vs $120 for a yearly subscription). You would hope that there would be more given in this case. I'm tired of the go to reward being HUT packs, especially since I haven't touched that mode in 5-6 years. There is no incentive for me to even pre-order the game.

• Every year. I’d pre buy for the next 5 years. The community complains a lot. But you can’t make everyone happy. Prime example. This game sucks bring back XYZ. Tuner comes out with XYZ. This game sucks. Lol. I just like playing EASHL with my buds. Same club since EASHL started.
  • Had 94 on SNES as a kid. Played from ‘08 to current and even had ‘15 on both PS3 and PS4 (don’t ask me why). I haven’t played this one in a while and it’s likely I won’t buy another one for the foreseeable future.
  • Use to buy every year, last year was going to be my last. But i got sucked in to thinking there were 200 legends to use off line as they advertised. Don’t plan on buying any more in the future....
  • Won't be buying next years, EA has encouraged me to spend my money elsewhere.
  • FatKidd5151
    93 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I buy at the end of the season, so it’s cheaper. This year was different because of 200 legends I thought I could use OFFLINE and for once NOT have to create dudes. Sorry EA but no more, I will play this year out and this will probably be my last hockey game from EA!!